PDA

View Full Version : i hope your house is in order.

uki
10-17-2008, 03:43 PM
television programing and conditioning at its finest... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reCpV1YHuYs

CLFLPstudent
10-17-2008, 04:50 PM
EVEN WORSE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXfXuk6aWJc&feature=related)

c'mon, now Uki.... it's almost as if you want something to happen. I really feel bad for your kids.... must be tough growing up worried about the end of the world all of the time.

-David

fopah
10-18-2008, 02:11 AM
that's onion news dweeb.

uki
10-18-2008, 03:46 AM
c'mon, now Uki.... it's almost as if you want something to happen. i do. mankind needs to start over from the ashes up.

I really feel bad for your kids....how so?? i am their dad. :)

must be tough growing up worried about the end of the world all of the time.no worries here... it's not everyday childrens gossip, just me and mine alone, save for everyone here on the net... you guys should feel lucky to have me here.:p

besides my children are being unconciously trained to be strong... my 16 month old finally picked up his first iron ball today... i caught it luckily before it landed on his toes. the 8 year old has a sword and the 4 year old has quite a swing with sticks... once she batted me across the forehead and sent me flying onto my back... nearly knocked me down.

David Jamieson
10-18-2008, 06:01 AM
i do. mankind needs to start over from the ashes up.
how so?? i am their dad. :)
no worries here... it's not everyday childrens gossip, just me and mine alone, save for everyone here on the net... you guys should feel lucky to have me here.:p

besides my children are being unconciously trained to be strong... my 16 month old finally picked up his first iron ball today... i caught it luckily before it landed on his toes. the 8 year old has a sword and the 4 year old has quite a swing with sticks... once she batted me across the forehead and sent me flying onto my back... nearly knocked me down.

yes, from the ashes up. lets start with you and your family. please commence with the making with the ashes as soon as possible so we can have that one little patch of land of yours and the air you're taking up.

you sir say truly ass things.

uki
10-18-2008, 06:09 AM
yes, from the ashes up. lets start with you and your family.hahaha... come and try to set the fire wiseguy.

please commence with the making with the ashes as soon as possible so we can have that one little patch of land of yours and the air you're taking up.yes it is quite the thorn in the side of all the people struggling to pay their house and land off... it's nice to own outright.

you sir say truly ass things.atleast i have the balls to say them...

CLFLPstudent
10-18-2008, 06:49 AM
that's onion news dweeb.

Uh, I know that, asshat. That was my point.

-David

TenTigers
10-18-2008, 07:09 AM
once she batted me across the forehead and sent me flying onto my back... nearly knocked me down.

um...isn't flying onto your back being knocked down?
Who are you, Quasimodo?:p

TenTigers
10-18-2008, 07:13 AM
ibesides my children are being unconciously trained to be strong... my 16 month old finally picked up his first iron ball today... i caught it luckily before it landed on his toes. the 8 year old has a sword and the 4 year old has quite a swing with sticks... once she batted me across the forehead and sent me flying onto my back... nearly knocked me down.

reminds me of Chris Sayoc. His four yr-old was playing with a wooden practice knife. The little tyke was whipping it around pretty good.
-gotta start'em young!

cjurakpt
10-18-2008, 07:24 AM
reminds me of Chris Sayoc. His four yr-old was playing with a wooden practice knife. The little tyke was whipping it around pretty good.
-gotta start'em young!

I've given my 3 y/o son a broadword (metal, but not sharp) to play with after he watched me do some stuff - it was actually scary how "naturally" he used it; same with a staff - it was a great example of how the weight / feel of the weapon naturally dictated what his body did with it, but I think only noticeable because of the increased weight relative to his body - which might be why those bagua guys use the heavy dao, for example - to exaggerate what the weapon wants to do in order to feel how the body should work with it - and I vaguely recall there is that taiji expression about "flying on the gim" and / or "the qi leading the gim" - gotta go check my notes...

uki
10-18-2008, 10:42 AM
um...isn't flying onto your back being knocked down?
Who are you, Quasimodo?:pmy brain seems to have been disengaged while typing... i mean't nearly knocked me out.

Water Dragon
10-18-2008, 01:25 PM
my brain seems to have been disengaged while typing.

This one simply has to become someone's sig

uki
10-18-2008, 01:58 PM
This one simply has to become someone's sigobviously it was your idea... are you worthy of your own suggestion?

GreenCloudCLF
10-18-2008, 02:24 PM
obviously it was your idea... are you worthy of your own suggestion?

Is anyone worthy of your quote in their signature?

uki
10-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Is anyone worthy of your quote in their signature?probably not.

Takuan
10-18-2008, 11:48 PM
"People like us"

I am not a jew. :(

Hebrew Hammer
10-18-2008, 11:58 PM
"People like us"

I am not a jew. :(

Me either...I just play one on TV. And remember Takuan, its not too late...you can still get circumsized! :D

uki
10-19-2008, 05:13 AM
its not too late...you can still get circumsized! unfortunately this has nothing to do with being a jew.

"People like us"

I am not a jew.i believe the allegory was that the jews were ignorant to the subtle moves that would eventually snare them... much like putting a frog into a pot of cold water and then turning up the heat to boil it, knowing full well it won't jump out...

David Jamieson
10-19-2008, 06:46 AM
you're an authority on all things Jewish now?

wow.

Hebrew Hammer
10-19-2008, 07:18 AM
unfortunately this has nothing to do with being a jew.

Oh really?....

i believe the allegory was that the jews were ignorant to the subtle moves that would eventually snare them... much like putting a frog into a pot of cold water and then turning up the heat to boil it, knowing full well it won't jump out...

Did you just suggest that Hitler and the Storm Troopers were subtle? Ignorant no, in disbelief, yes...I wouldn't be here if my relatives didn't make haste and leave. The Jews had become an very integral part of German Society and you can throw in the gays, the gypsies, the communists, the political opposition, the disabled, all totalling an estimated 4 million non jews who were also killed during the Holocaust.

TenTigers
10-19-2008, 08:03 AM
I think Uki was referring to the method of gradualism. The jews, gypsies, etc didn't just get on the trains and go to Aushwitz. Gradually, their rights were taken away. Just as they do here.
Such as gun control.

The rulers say that the citizen doesn't need to own large capacity semi-automatic weapons, so they pass a law, stating that they are now considered assault rifles, place a ban on them, and have people turn them in.

Then the rulers say citizens don't need to own semi-autos, most hunting is done with single-fire, so now all semi-autos are now assault rifles, and must be turned in.

Then they decide that hunting is unneccesary, so nobody should own a gun. You don't need them for self-protection. That is why we have police and gestapo, er, Homeland Security.
The right to keep and bear arms, and create a militia? Well, that is why we have the National Guard-according to their new interpetation of the second amendment.
each little law that gets passed chips away at your rights.
Once the people are disarmed, and have less rights, things like crystalnacht can occur quite easily.

uki
10-19-2008, 09:56 AM
you're an authority on all things Jewish now?

wow.if you'd like, i'll send you an email detailing my authority on the jews if you'd like... just because i post on a kung fu forum doesn't mean that is all i do, believe, investigate, and research... if you read my profile it says one of my interests is ancient history... i'd love to tell you it all on here, but alas, i will not... somethings are best left to other sites or private conversations.

and ten tigers... i must say you hit the nail on the head with your last post. nice job.:)

Takuan
10-19-2008, 06:04 PM
i believe the allegory was that the jews were ignorant to the subtle moves that would eventually snare them... much like putting a frog into a pot of cold water and then turning up the heat to boil it, knowing full well it won't jump out...

You callin' me a Jew?

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/T4kuan/RULookin4TroubleGoose.jpg

Becca
10-20-2008, 10:13 AM
I think Uki was referring to the method of gradualism. The jews, gypsies, etc didn't just get on the trains and go to Aushwitz. Gradually, their rights were taken away. Just as they do here.
Such as gun control.
...Yeah, I don't know that gun control quite equates with religious and ethnic based hate crimes, even if the hate crimes did start out small. Gun control only controlls something that kills. Just like having drivers liscenses reduce the likelyhood of a total moron getting behind the wheel, gun controll keep guns out of the hands on many who might actually use them inapropriately. this makes the job of cops easier as they are left only with Alpha types who think they are above the law.... which is the population group that usually causes the problems in the first place.

GreenCloudCLF
10-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I don't know that gun control quite equates with religious and ethnic based hate crimes, even if the hate crimes did start out small. Gun control only controlls something that kills. Just like having drivers liscenses reduce the likelyhood of a total moron getting behind the wheel, gun controll keep guns out of the hands on many who might actually use them inapropriately. this makes the job of cops easier as they are left only with Alpha types who think they are above the law.... which is the population group that usually causes the problems in the first place.

Word!!!!!!!!!!

uki
10-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I don't know that gun control quite equates with religious and ethnic based hate crimes, even if the hate crimes did start out small.of course it does... control in any shape or form is oppression.

Gun control only controlls something that kills.yet police, military, and private mercenaries are allowed to own them.

Just like having drivers liscenses reduce the likelyhood of a total moron getting behind the wheel, gun controll keep guns out of the hands on many who might actually use them inapropriately.hahahaha!!!!

this makes the job of cops easier as they are left only with Alpha types who think they are above the law.... what law? there is no law to those who are truly free... the law is for people too dimwitted to think for themselves.

which is the population group that usually causes the problems in the first place.you mean the alpha types which include cops and politicians? :D

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Becca
10-20-2008, 11:59 AM
of course it does... control in any shape or form is oppression. So you can read the thesaurus. I'm assuming you can also under stand what adjectives are? Gun control and religious oppression are not the same thing.

yet police, military, and private mercenaries are allowed to own them.
Every one gets to own guns in the U.S. of A. untill they proove they can't be trusted with them. Granted, you have to be of a certain age to carry them with out a responsable adult around, and you don't get to take them to inapropriate places, but......

hahahaha!!!!
what law? there is no law to those who are truly free... the law is for people too dimwitted to think for themselves.
you mean the alpha types which include cops and politicians? :D

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!Control yourself will you?

SimonM
10-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Didn't you know Becca?

The thesarus, along with all laws and the letters of the alphabet excluding e,d and w are tools of oppression.

The truly free just decides that words mean whatever the heck they want them to mean.

sanjuro_ronin
10-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Its times like this that I am glad I am Batman.
I have a friend who is Superman, but we all pale in comparison to Mr. Batman Superman.

uki
10-20-2008, 04:13 PM
The truly free just decides that words mean whatever the heck they want them to mean.language does serve to divide man against himself do to this simple fact there simon...

TenTigers
10-20-2008, 04:49 PM
"Gun control only controlls something that kills."

what have you been fed, and for how long, that you believe this?
Becca, gun control takes guns out of the hands of citizens, not criminals.
Criminals will always be able to get guns. What do you think they do, go into a gun store and buy them legally? Guns are bought on the black market, the same way that drugs are. Outlaw guns, and only outlaws will have them.
Anything they need they can get. Can you?
Unless you post them on every corner, Police cannot prevent crime. They can take a report, conduct an investigation, make arrests after the fact. But they cannot prevent the crime from occurring.
Here's the chain of events:
1-a crime is committed (with illegal weapon)
2-the survivors, if any, or eyewitnesses call the police
3-the police arrive and take a report
4-perhaps an investigation is made
5-maybe this will lead to an eventual arrest
6-the criminal will either be convicted, or released.
7-if convicted, he will be released after serving minimum time and he may return to seek vengence

Here's the chain of events with a legally armed citizen, with a registered handgun.
1-criminal is stopped in his tracks.
done.

In most cases, the mere presence of a firearm is enough to prevent a would-be attacker.Nothing disuades a perp more than the unmistakable sound of a 12 guage being racked.
Seeing a holstered gun, or even the strap ofd a shoulder holdster peeking out from under your jacket has been enough to make most attackers turn and run.

"Yeah, I don't know that gun control quite equates with religious and ethnic based hate crimes, even if the hate crimes did start out small."

Nope. That's exactly how it started. The jews were first disarmed.

perhaps instead of a hamster, your avatar should be a sheep.:rolleyes:

TenTigers
10-20-2008, 04:53 PM
what crime can you think of, that a police can prevent?
1-vehicular manslaughter-if he pulls over a drunk driver BEFORE he kills someone
2-homicide-if there is a break in, and you have a well protected safe room and a cell phone.
3-any crime where you see someone suspicious, and call 911, and they repond BEFORE the crime is committed.
anything else?
I mean besides expired inspection...

TenTigers
10-20-2008, 04:54 PM
do you realize that to have an order of protection on someone, there must first be an incident that is reported?
That means if a stalker, or ex boyfriend/husband, etc wants to kill you, you cannot get an OP. Better hope you survive the first attack.

uki
10-20-2008, 04:56 PM
perhaps instead of a hamster, your avatar should be a sheep.a sheep in a cage on the back of the truck headed towards the slaughterhouse... can you fit all that into one avatar?

WinterPalm
10-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Such as gun control.

The rulers say that the citizen doesn't need to own large capacity semi-automatic weapons, so they pass a law, stating that they are now considered assault rifles, place a ban on them, and have people turn them in.

Then the rulers say citizens don't need to own semi-autos, most hunting is done with single-fire, so now all semi-autos are now assault rifles, and must be turned in.

Then they decide that hunting is unneccesary, so nobody should own a gun. You don't need them for self-protection. That is why we have police and gestapo, er, Homeland Security.
The right to keep and bear arms, and create a militia? Well, that is why we have the National Guard-according to their new interpetation of the second amendment.
each little law that gets passed chips away at your rights.
Once the people are disarmed, and have less rights, things like crystalnacht can occur quite easily.

This is exactly the case in Canada. We need weapons in case the government gets out of hand and we have to string 'em up.

TenTigers
10-20-2008, 04:59 PM
did you know that mutton is kosher?
(I was at a sefardik seder once-great food!):D

uki
10-20-2008, 05:04 PM
did you know that mutton is kosher?no... but i do know that if you are born in the year of the tiger and you want to get lucky for like a short sexual fling, just find yourself someone born in the year of the sheep(ram).:D

TenTigers
10-20-2008, 05:09 PM
that's way too complicated for me.
I just look for the drunk ones.

uki
10-20-2008, 05:11 PM
that's way too complicated for me.
I just look for the drunk ones.that works too.

TenTigers
10-20-2008, 05:13 PM
pretty accurate profiling:
If a girl is in her forties and over,
has a tattoo, belly-button ring, smokes, -she will be game.
If you see her at a bar-add ten points. If she drinks beer out of the bottle, ten more.
If she has tracks on her arm from pennecillin, stretch-marks on her mouth,wears knee-pads,has cats following her home, seagulls circling her house and a meter by the bed-definately an easy score.

uki
10-20-2008, 05:17 PM
pretty accurate profiling:
If a girl is in her forties and over,
has a tattoo, belly-button ring, smokes, -she will be game.
If you see her at a bar-add ten points. If she drinks beer out of the bottle, ten more.
If she has tracks on her arm from pennecillin, stretch-marks on her mouth, cats following her home, seagulls circling her house and a meter by the bed-definately an easy score.i am actually not attracted to cigarette smokers... nor ones that are pay by the thrust.

sanjuro_ronin
10-21-2008, 04:16 AM
This is exactly the case in Canada. We need weapons in case the government gets out of hand and we have to string 'em up.

BBWWAAAHHHH !!!!!
Canadian government out of hand !!
LOL !

Good one !

GreenCloudCLF
10-21-2008, 04:46 AM

Criminals will always be able to get guns. What do you think they do, go into a gun store and buy them legally? Guns are bought on the black market, the same way that drugs are. Outlaw guns, and only outlaws will have them.
Anything they need they can get. Can you?
Unless you post them on every corner, Police cannot prevent crime. They can take a report, conduct an investigation, make arrests after the fact. But they cannot prevent the crime from occurring.
Here's the chain of events:
1-a crime is committed (with illegal weapon)
2-the survivors, if any, or eyewitnesses call the police
3-the police arrive and take a report
4-perhaps an investigation is made
5-maybe this will lead to an eventual arrest
6-the criminal will either be convicted, or released.
7-if convicted, he will be released after serving minimum time and he may return to seek vengence

Here's the chain of events with a legally armed citizen, with a registered handgun.
1-criminal is stopped in his tracks.
done.

In most cases, the mere presence of a firearm is enough to prevent a would-be attacker.Nothing disuades a perp more than the unmistakable sound of a 12 guage being racked.
Seeing a holstered gun, or even the strap ofd a shoulder holdster peeking out from under your jacket has been enough to make most attackers turn and run.

"Yeah, I don't know that gun control quite equates with religious and ethnic based hate crimes, even if the hate crimes did start out small."

Nope. That's exactly how it started. The jews were first disarmed.

perhaps instead of a hamster, your avatar should be a sheep.:rolleyes:

Wow. Just wow.

Chain of guns getting into NY:
1 - Guy drives from NY to SC
2 - Walks into a gun store and buys a ton of guns
3 - Drives back to NY and sells them on the black market.

Of course criminals get guns from the black market. But how do they get there? Through a legitimate store. Criminals aren't breaking into Smith & Wesson and stealing them off the assembly line, nor are they building their own firearms in their basements. They are bought through stores and flooded to the market.

And, for someone who was a cop, your chain of events is so jaded. There are 2 functions of police:
1 - investigation and action after the fact
2 - patrol (which provides visibility, hence prevention)

Why do you think you see the Suffolk squad cars up and down New York Ave and Depot Rd so often? They are managing what could be a huge issue with the "Day-Laborers" Pick up site not 5 blocks from you. Don't send a patrol car around for 2 weeks and just watch the increase in property and personal crime.

GreenCloudCLF
10-21-2008, 04:50 AM
1-vehicular manslaughter-if he pulls over a drunk driver BEFORE he kills someone
2-homicide-if there is a break in, and you have a well protected safe room and a cell phone.
3-any crime where you see someone suspicious, and call 911, and they repond BEFORE the crime is committed.
anything else?

The reason you don't hear more about prevented crimes is because they do not make big splashes in the news. Try going to the courthouse and reading through some arrest reports. When I was on DC more than half the arrests were "preventitive" arrests. These were people who were stopped and were arrested based on preventitive measures. Driving without a license, before killing someone, outstanding warrants based on a legal stop. Doesn't make for interesting reading.

GreenCloudCLF
10-21-2008, 04:54 AM
do you realize that to have an order of protection on someone, there must first be an incident that is reported?
That means if a stalker, or ex boyfriend/husband, etc wants to kill you, you cannot get an OP. Better hope you survive the first attack.

Not true, you need to show that someone poses a threat, obviously if there was an attack it is easy to show they pose a threat. But threathening phone calls, letters, stalking where there is no contact all are basis for getting restraining orders.

TT you have to be one of the most cynical people towards law enforcement I have ever seen.

Obviously not every cop is good, or do there jobs well. There were plenty of cops that worked my shift that spent all night at 7-11. But there were also plenty of people I worked with that pushed hard and did their job well. ANd those were the ones in the report room typing. The only problem we had in DC was you could only make 3 arrests in a shift because the paperwork was so laborious.

sanjuro_ronin
10-21-2008, 05:08 AM
In an ideal world one can keep firearms from criminals by banning them and their manufacturing other than for the military and law enforcement.
Of course criminals would just fine another way as they tend to do, Great Britain and Japan for example.
Thing is, banning guns doesn't stop criminals from getting guns, oh it may make it more difficult, not that much more, but more difficult.
Making firearms prohibited for people that are law abiding never really made any sense, though I do agree than in the States your law are far to lax in this regard, there is no need to go the the extreme either.
Certain countries have made firearms illegal and have little crime, but at the same time, they had little crime to begin with, Japan as an example.

Has there ever been a country that has banned firearms to decrease crime and it has worked?
In other words, a country that had a crime issue and with the banning of guns had the issue decrease dramatically ?

GreenCloudCLF
10-21-2008, 05:17 AM
In an ideal world one can keep firearms from criminals by banning them and their manufacturing other than for the military and law enforcement.
Of course criminals would just fine another way as they tend to do, Great Britain and Japan for example.
Thing is, banning guns doesn't stop criminals from getting guns, oh it may make it more difficult, not that much more, but more difficult.
Making firearms prohibited for people that are law abiding never really made any sense, though I do agree than in the States your law are far to lax in this regard, there is no need to go the the extreme either.
Certain countries have made firearms illegal and have little crime, but at the same time, they had little crime to begin with, Japan as an example.

Has there ever been a country that has banned firearms to decrease crime and it has worked?
In other words, a country that had a crime issue and with the banning of guns had the issue decrease dramatically ?

In 2005/06 there were 766 offences initially recorded as homicide by the police in England and Wales (including the 52 victims of the 7 July 2005 London bombings),[19] a rate of 1.4 per 100,000 of population. Only 50 (6.6%) were committed with firearms, one being with an air weapon.[20] The homicide rate for London was 2.4 per 100,000 in the same year (1.7 when excluding the 7 July bombings).[21]

By comparison, 5.5 murders per 100,000 of population were reported by police in the United States in 2004, of which 66% involved the use of firearms.[22]

Yes its from Wikipedia, but only being posted as an example and because it sites reputable sources.

sanjuro_ronin
10-21-2008, 05:20 AM
In 2005/06 there were 766 offences initially recorded as homicide by the police in England and Wales (including the 52 victims of the 7 July 2005 London bombings),[19] a rate of 1.4 per 100,000 of population. Only 50 (6.6%) were committed with firearms, one being with an air weapon.[20] The homicide rate for London was 2.4 per 100,000 in the same year (1.7 when excluding the 7 July bombings).[21]

By comparison, 5.5 murders per 100,000 of population were reported by police in the United States in 2004, of which 66% involved the use of firearms.[22]

Yes its from Wikipedia, but only being posted as an example and because it sites reputable sources.

I think you misunderstood my question.
In the case of England, you'd have to show what the states were BEFORE the gun bans and after them and how long it took to decrease the crime.

GreenCloudCLF
10-21-2008, 05:37 AM
I think you misunderstood my question.
In the case of England, you'd have to show what the states were BEFORE the gun bans and after them and how long it took to decrease the crime.

Australia:
Over the 11 year period the number and rate of firearm related deaths has decreased (Figure 1 and Table 1). In comparison, there has been little change in the trend for deaths caused by sharp instruments. In 1991 there were 629 firearm related deaths in Australia compared to 333 in 2001. This represents a 47 per cent decrease in firearms deaths between 1991 and 2001. The incidence of both firearms suicides and firearms homicides almost halved over the 11 year period. While the number of firearms homicides has continued to decline, with 2001 recording the lowest number of firearms homicides during this period (n=47), the number of firearms suicides declined consistently from 1991 to 1998, but has since fluctuated. The number of firearm related accidents also fluctuated over the same period, from 29 firearms accidents in 1991 to 18 in 2001, but ranging between 15 and 45 over this time. While the numbers are quite small, the year 2000 recorded the highest number of firearms accidents (45 accidents) during the 11 year period.

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/tandi2/tandi269t.html

But the conspiracy therorists will say the government is skewing the numbers as propaganda.

sanjuro_ronin
10-21-2008, 05:47 AM
Australia:
Over the 11 year period the number and rate of firearm related deaths has decreased (Figure 1 and Table 1). In comparison, there has been little change in the trend for deaths caused by sharp instruments. In 1991 there were 629 firearm related deaths in Australia compared to 333 in 2001. This represents a 47 per cent decrease in firearms deaths between 1991 and 2001. The incidence of both firearms suicides and firearms homicides almost halved over the 11 year period. While the number of firearms homicides has continued to decline, with 2001 recording the lowest number of firearms homicides during this period (n=47), the number of firearms suicides declined consistently from 1991 to 1998, but has since fluctuated. The number of firearm related accidents also fluctuated over the same period, from 29 firearms accidents in 1991 to 18 in 2001, but ranging between 15 and 45 over this time. While the numbers are quite small, the year 2000 recorded the highest number of firearms accidents (45 accidents) during the 11 year period.

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/tandi2/tandi269t.html

But the conspiracy therorists will say the government is skewing the numbers as propaganda.

When did Australia ban firearms?

GreenCloudCLF
10-21-2008, 05:53 AM
When did Australia ban firearms?

It is on the timeline if you follow the link. 1996.

sanjuro_ronin
10-21-2008, 05:57 AM
It is on the timeline if you follow the link. 1996.

Ah, thank you.

Year Accident Suicide Homicide Other (a) Total
(a) Other includes legal intervention and underdetermined deaths.
Source: Australian Institute of Criminology adapted from Australian Bureau of Statistics Underlying Cause of Death 1991-2001 [computer file]
1991 29 505 84 11 629
1992 24 488 96 14 622
1993 18 431 64 9 522
1994 20 420 76 13 529
1995 15 388 67 9 479
1996 30 382 104 5 521
1997 19 330 79 9 437
1998 21 234 57 15 327
1999 28 269 50 6 353
2000 45 222 57 7 331
2001 18 261 47 7 333

SimonM
10-21-2008, 06:01 AM
"Becca, gun control takes guns out of the hands of citizens, not criminals.

Canada has lots of guns.
Canada has much stricter gun control laws than the USA.
Canada has lower rates of firearms crime per capita.

Europe has few guns.
Europe has even stricter laws controlling them than Canada.
Europe's firearms crime rates are crazy low.

In China it is illegal for civilians to have guns.
Very few people own them at all.
China's rates of firearms violence are also lower than the USA.

So what you say, it does not follow.

Gun control laws do, in fact, make a positive impact on gun crime. To abandon a law because criminals might break it is foolishness in the extreme.

SimonM
10-21-2008, 06:03 AM

ROTFLMFAO!

Good one Winter Palm.

Sanjuro Ronin:

Nobody here is advocating for the total disarmarment of the populace. Quite the contrary, controlling guns simply is shaping availability to those firearms that serve a purpose.

Namely: breach-loading shotguns, bolt action rifles, revolvers and semi-automatic pistols.

More advanced weapons are not necessary for civilian populations.

sanjuro_ronin
10-21-2008, 06:51 AM
ROTFLMFAO!

Good one Winter Palm.

Sanjuro Ronin:

Nobody here is advocating for the total disarmarment of the populace. Quite the contrary, controlling guns simply is shaping availability to those firearms that serve a purpose.

Namely: breach-loading shotguns, bolt action rifles, revolvers and semi-automatic pistols.

More advanced weapons are not necessary for civilian populations.

Hey, nothing says sportsman that a fully automatic rifle to hunt rabbits !
:D

SimonM
10-21-2008, 06:53 AM
"I always like to keep my vial of genetically modified, weaponized, anthrax nearby....

For deer huntin'"

sanjuro_ronin
10-21-2008, 06:54 AM
"I always like to keep my vial of genetically modified, weaponized, anthrax nearby....

For deer huntin'"

Those deers...you know they trained under Hatsumi don't you?...*looks around*...

GreenCloudCLF
10-21-2008, 06:55 AM
Hey, nothing says sportsman that a fully automatic rifle to hunt rabbits !
:D

Better for geese. How many of the "V" formation can you pick off?

SimonM
10-21-2008, 07:00 AM
And armor penetrating rounds... for really big moose... in humvees.

GreenCloudCLF
10-21-2008, 07:02 AM
And armor penetrating rounds... for really big moose... in humvees.

I prefer RPG for moose.

Becca
10-21-2008, 07:05 AM

Criminals will always be able to get guns.Gun control take the guns out of the hands of law abiding people who can't be trusted with them. What you have left are the law abiding people who can be trusted and criminals. The cops don't need to watch the law abiding gun owners; they aren't doing anything wrong. You are correct; you can't keep the guns out of the hands of the determined criminal who want's one. but you make it illeagal to store a fire arm in an unsafe manor, and take the guns away from those who can't be bothered to store thier weapons in a same manor, you do keep weapons out of the hands for the moronic criminal who might or might not have actually intended to kill with it.

Why is it those who are against gun control fail to see the bigger picture? Are you that blind or just too busy being self centered to notice the "other side" of the coin?

SimonM
10-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Seriously speaking the only sportsmanly way to hunt is with a pointed stick.

This is especially true when hunting bears, cougars and wolves.

Any form of hunting involving helecopters is nothing more than sadism.

(I have always found myself being in the odd position of being an advocate for macro-fauna predators. These beautiful animals are among the most universally feared and despised... and necessary. I have absolutely no problem with using hunting to maintain population control but hunting wolves, especially only has the opposite effect, causing deer populations to expand rapidly wherever the wolves are killed off... not to mention smaller pest animals such as rabbits and mice... People who hunt wolves should be beat with their own rifle butts.)

GreenCloudCLF
10-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Seriously speaking the only sportsmanly way to hunt is with a pointed stick.

This is especially true when hunting bears, cougars and wolves.

Any form of hunting involving helecopters is nothing more than sadism.

I am always tell people the only hunting I do is me, two knives and a bear. But the bear has a hard time holding his knife...

Becca
10-21-2008, 07:11 AM
anything else?
You are assuming, of course, the only the police have a responsability to prevent crimes. How many drunk drivers would be out there if thier drinking buddy wouldn't let them drive drunk? Or called the cops as soon has he/she saw them drive off drunk?

As to homicide? Self defence is a great deturent. And it doesn't require letting the clueless own fire arms.

As to calling 911 every time you see something suspisious? No, that would increase the crime rate as the cops would be too busy and/or desensitized to respond properly... but how about you turn on your back yard flood light if you see someone creaping around your neibor's house when they aren't home?

SimonM
10-21-2008, 07:15 AM
I am always tell people the only hunting I do is me, two knives and a bear. But the bear has a hard time holding his knife...

Bears come pre-equipped with knives. ;)

Keep both for yourself... it equalizes somewhat. :D

TenTigers
10-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Gun control take the guns out of the hands of law abiding people who can't be trusted with them. What you have left are the law abiding people who can be trusted and criminals. The cops don't need to watch the law abiding gun owners; they aren't doing anything wrong. You are correct; you can't keep the guns out of the hands of the determined criminal who want's one. but you make it illeagal to store a fire arm in an unsafe manor, and take the guns away from those who can't be bothered to store thier weapons in a same manor, you do keep weapons out of the hands for the moronic criminal who might or might not have actually intended to kill with it.

Why is it those who are against gun control fail to see the bigger picture? Are you that blind or just too busy being self centered to notice the "other side" of the coin?

I think that's great, however, how would you achieve this? I have always stored my firearms in a gun safe. (well, besides the pistol in the refrigerator, bookcase, under the pillow,inside the teddybear and the one in the shower) I believe in strict gun laws. I feel every firearm should be registered, waiting periods, backround checks, and firearms safety courses, and licences. If they did that in all states, it would take a huge bite out of the illegal guns floating around. But how do you enforce safe gun handling?

GC, points well taken, but when was the last time you called 911?
When I was pres of the civic association, I created a phone circle. Here's what happened;
There were gang members in the local park.(Latin Kings and Latin Troopers-welcome to Huntington Station) I called 911. Twenty minutes later-nothng. We called again. Nothing. So we called from several phones-one house phone, and three cell phones. Bingo. Three cop cars pulled into the park and rounded up the gang members. So I created a "Phone circle." Memebers of the association, especially those whose houses bordered on the park, would call each other, and then several would dial 911. It's non-confrontational, and alot safer than any civilian patrol, and it's totally annonymous, so it doesn't bring anyone to your home for retaliation.

Another time, we dialed 911, and no response. I got in my car, drove up the hill and across the street to 7/11 and spoke to the officers who were sitting in their car. (I guess I dialed wrong. Next time, I'll dial 711)

Another time, my ex calls me up at the school and says that there are people in on the front yard and in the back yard, banging on the doors.(they beat up our upstairs tenant's kid) Police haven't arrived. I dialed 911, and told them that I was on my way over there, "let's see who gets there first" -they won.

or the time there were gang members in the park, and I told 911 that "I think they had a gun or something, it's a metalic object. I'll go in for a closer look. I'll call you back."-that brought them there pretty quick.

The drug dealers in the area all have scanners. Watch them the next time you dial 911. As soon as the call goes in, they take off, and then the cops show up.

Sure the patrols keep the day laborers in the coral. I get that. But there is so much more to the problem.
I have nothing against good police work. I do have alot against people that abuse the system, to the point that in order for you to get a response, you have to "trick" them into doing their job.

Out of curiosity, we have a problem with illegal aliens.
We create a day laborer area, complete with picnic tables, swing sets for the kids, etc.
Wouldn't that encourage more illegals to come here, rather than making it harder for the laborers to get work?

AJM
10-21-2008, 09:23 AM
So Becca agrees with stalin, hitler and marcos. Way to go. Drink more koolaide.

SimonM
10-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Wow! This thread degraded to accusations of naziism in just 67 posts. Way to troll AJM.

AJM
10-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Fishing is a passion.

GreenCloudCLF
10-21-2008, 09:46 AM
I think that's great, however, how would you achieve this? I have always stored my firearms in a gun safe. (well, besides the pistol in the refrigerator, bookcase, under the pillow,inside the teddybear and the one in the shower) I believe in strict gun laws. I feel every firearm should be registered, waiting periods, backround checks, and firearms safety courses, and licences. If they did that in all states, it would take a huge bite out of the illegal guns floating around. But how do you enforce safe gun handling?

GC, points well taken, but when was the last time you called 911?
When I was pres of the civic association, I created a phone circle. Here's what happened;
There were gang members in the local park.(Latin Kings and Latin Troopers-welcome to Huntington Station) I called 911. Twenty minutes later-nothng. We called again. Nothing. So we called from several phones-one house phone, and three cell phones. Bingo. Three cop cars pulled into the park and rounded up the gang members. So I created a "Phone circle." Memebers of the association, especially those whose houses bordered on the park, would call each other, and then several would dial 911. It's non-confrontational, and alot safer than any civilian patrol, and it's totally annonymous, so it doesn't bring anyone to your home for retaliation.

Another time, we dialed 911, and no response. I got in my car, drove up the hill and across the street to 7/11 and spoke to the officers who were sitting in their car. (I guess I dialed wrong. Next time, I'll dial 711)

Another time, my ex calls me up at the school and says that there are people in on the front yard and in the back yard, banging on the doors.(they beat up our upstairs tenant's kid) Police haven't arrived. I dialed 911, and told them that I was on my way over there, "let's see who gets there first" -they won.

or the time there were gang members in the park, and I told 911 that "I think they had a gun or something, it's a metalic object. I'll go in for a closer look. I'll call you back."-that brought them there pretty quick.

The drug dealers in the area all have scanners. Watch them the next time you dial 911. As soon as the call goes in, they take off, and then the cops show up.

Sure the patrols keep the day laborers in the coral. I get that. But there is so much more to the problem.
I have nothing against good police work. I do have alot against people that abuse the system, to the point that in order for you to get a response, you have to "trick" them into doing their job.

Out of curiosity, we have a problem with illegal aliens.
We create a day laborer area, complete with picnic tables, swing sets for the kids, etc.
Wouldn't that encourage more illegals to come here, rather than making it harder for the laborers to get work?

I am the first one to dial 9-1-1 for any issue. In all the times I have called it (most exciting was a car on fire driving down the highway) I get no problem getting in touch with an operator (granted I know this is a bigger problem in NYC). But all the problems you mention (seeing things from the inside) is a problem with the individuals in the system, not system itself. The problem with all systems is it is made up of individuals. I had 1 training officer that spent all night at 7-11, and skipped calls with the "nothing found" for certain complaints. It is bound to happen.

However, I do not think a better way of handling things is to arm the general populace so we can have vigilante justice. The problem with this, IMO, would be too many Punishers and not enough Batmans. (Comic book geek reference).

GreenCloudCLF
10-21-2008, 09:48 AM
As for the illegal aliens, that is a different arguement completely. If I were INS I would sweep through that place so fast.

I have no problem with immigrants, but we have a certain process to get into the country for a reason. Want to start a seperate thread on that?

GreenCloudCLF
10-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Wow! This thread degraded to accusations of naziism in just 67 posts. Way to troll AJM.

Actually, if you follow the links for the first message in the thread the Nazi comparison started there.

Becca
10-21-2008, 10:13 AM
So Becca agrees with stalin, hitler and marcos. Way to go. Drink more koolaide.So what regular board member are you trollin' for?

.... See? Anyone can make half baked insults with nothing to support thier point-of-veiw. Grow up, state your opinions with something to back it up, or shut up please.

SimonM
10-21-2008, 10:14 AM
I don't follow blind links from work. It's safer for my continued employment that way. ;)

That and the last time I followed links from a post by Uki it led to a website administered by Sorcha Faal and that's 5 minutes of my life I will never get back.

GreenCloudCLF
10-21-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't follow blind links from work. It's safer for my continued employment that way. ;)

That and the last time I followed links from a post by Uki it led to a website administered by Sorcha Faal and that's 5 minutes of my life I will never get back.

I like my biweekly meetings with IT explainnig the importance of Kung FU forums and my productivity.

SimonM
10-21-2008, 10:44 AM
ROTFL!

My work is ok about kungfumagazine.com;

My productivity is good, it doesn't eat bandwitdth and I never try to download anything.

At least I've never been spoken to about it.

I'd rather keep it that way.