PDA

View Full Version : Took a beating last night

Ray Pina
10-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Round one was good. I landed a couple good front kicks to the midsection with my back left leg. Got in and got out. Was able to clinch. I felt, and coach said the judges later said, round 1 was mine.

Some point in round two I found myself with the left foot forward. Was feeling good. Light on the feet. Saw a heavy right coming in, though I was blocking it and WHAM! Took a full swing right on the chin.

One of the things I've been working on, which you can't really work on, is fortitude. So I'd be ****ed if it would drop me or force me to disengage. So I tried to block the next two with the same results. Took a total of 4 or 5 heavy, rights right on the chin. Thank God for the kick boxing kit, complete with closed head gear and big gloves.

Felt lucky to get out of the second on my feet. Had enough gas to stay vertical during round three but not to do what needed to be done for a victory. All in all, took more heavy hits during that round then my entire fighting career combined.

Going to start running, including hills with a backpack, next week. Going to get back to boxing three days a week. Took some time off for work, to entertain a visiting friend and to chill before this last minute fight.

All and all good training and experience, but ****, I need to start winning some of these fights.

cjurakpt
10-19-2008, 06:12 PM
props as always for getting out there and walking the walk; if nothing else, you are the embodiment of 100 times down, 100 times up!

Mr Punch
10-19-2008, 06:32 PM
One of the things I've been working on, which you can't really work on, is fortitude. So I'd be ****ed if it would drop me or force me to disengage. So I tried to block the next two with the same results. Took a total of 4 or 5 heavy, rights right on the chin. Thank God for the kick boxing kit, complete with closed head gear and big gloves.
LMAO! :D :D :D

Er... good job?

sanjuro_ronin
10-20-2008, 04:31 AM
Round one was good. I landed a couple good front kicks to the midsection with my back left leg. Got in and got out. Was able to clinch. I felt, and coach said the judges later said, round 1 was mine.

Some point in round two I found myself with the left foot forward. Was feeling good. Light on the feet. Saw a heavy right coming in, though I was blocking it and WHAM! Took a full swing right on the chin.

Felt lucky to get out of the second on my feet. Had enough gas to stay vertical during round three but not to do what needed to be done for a victory. All in all, took more heavy hits during that round then my entire fighting career combined.

Going to start running, including hills with a backpack, next week. Going to get back to boxing three days a week. Took some time off for work, to entertain a visiting friend and to chill before this last minute fight.

All and all good training and experience, but ****, I need to start winning some of these fights.

Well, I guess you GOT out more !
LOL !
On any given day, any one of us can get our clock cleaned.
The only ones that don't are the ones that don't fight.
Props for trying to break his fist with your jaw ;)

Ray Pina
10-20-2008, 06:42 AM
props as always for getting out there and walking the walk; if nothing else, you are the embodiment of 100 times down, 100 times up!

Yea, but this is getting ridiculous. It would be nice to win one.

TenTigers
10-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Think of it as an investment in loss. You learn more from defeat than from victory. Each time you lose, you reflect back on the fight, replaying it over and over, finding your weaknesses, and then you improve on them. If each time you fought you won, you would never learn.
It's not as if each time, the opponent simply mopped the floor with you. In a case like that, you would not learn either. Each time you lost, it was by a small margin, and you were very analytical about what occurred.(unless your side of the story differs from reality, but we're giving you the benefit of the doubt) So each time was a learning experience.

Ray, when I first started competing, I lost every time for two years. Never even placed. I never stopped competing though. I would always watch the guys who won, watch the champs, ask the judges for critiques, trained with some good people, and eventually I learned what it took to win, and I started winning.
Keep at it, you're doing fine.

of course, if this continues for too long,
we're going to have to have that,"Ray, perhaps this isn't your sport. Have you considered taking up something else, like badmitton?"speech.:D

WinterPalm
10-20-2008, 09:38 AM
I just lost a BJJ fight that I know I should of won but made a technical mistake and lost on points. It sucks...but at least you know what you need to work on. Train your ass off, fight, and then make the necessary adjustments and come back a much better fighter next time...even if you lose you know what you need to work on.

Ray Pina
10-20-2008, 06:13 PM
of course, if this continues for too long,
we're going to have to have that,"Ray, perhaps this isn't your sport. Have you considered taking up something else, like badmitton?"speech.:D

The old, "What the hell am I doing" always goes through my head after these losses. I hear the, "I aint getting any younger." And the, "Maybe my technique is **** and its too late for me." But then I remind myself that I feel better than ever, am learning, have lots of little victories everyday that drive me forward.

I don't know. It's not my nature to quit or leave a thing like victory left undone. I can't go out a loser. Even if I have to pull a Tanya Harden.:)

TenTigers
10-21-2008, 12:35 AM
[QUOTE=Ray Pina;890181]The old, "What the hell am I doing" always goes through my head after these losses. I hear the, "I aint getting any younger." And the, "Maybe my technique is **** and its too late for me." But then I remind myself that I feel better than ever, am learning, have lots of little victories everyday that drive me forward.QUOTE]
Ray, I have those exact thoghts-but I'm fifty+
Fall down seven, get up eight.

(actually, fall down seven, get up seven. How could you get up eight?
Maybe their talkin about steps. Funk dat! If I fell down seven steps, I'd like, get up one. Certainly not more than I fell down. That's like saying,"Fall one story, go to the third floor and try again" What am I , an idiot? Hmmmm, maybe that's the meaning. You fall down and you're stupid enough to do it again, so you deserve what ya get-may as well try it from a higher step, ya moron! Well fuk them bastids. From now on, it's "Fall down seven, get up and walk away!")

Ray Pina
10-21-2008, 06:24 AM
In retrospect that was a very good fight for me. I'm glad I took it. It's the one I'm most proud of in myself. I did something I never did before. I staid there like an idiot and faced the fire knowing I was going to get tagged.

All very stupid. But nice to know I could. And can.

Lucas
10-21-2008, 01:39 PM
the first 'getting up' is the getting up to begin in the first place

;):p

Nana Korobi Ya Oki