PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a good pair of Kung Fu Pants

monkeyfoot
10-23-2008, 02:53 AM
Hi people

I am looking for some kung fu trousers that are suitable for everyday wear on the street. I've search a lot of the main stores but am not really sure so I figured I would ask for recommendations.

Im looking for - black, made from lightweight material (no satin type stuff though lol), possibly elasticated cuff, loose fitting....something that looks cool, but allows for a full ROM.

Let me know

Cheers

Craig

ps: I would consider these quite tight fitting http://www.bulldogmartialarts.com/ekmps/shops/bulldognetwork/images/kung_fu_trousers.jpg

David Jamieson
10-23-2008, 05:18 AM
any pants will do. just buy them the right size.
I mean, if you gotta set perfect conditions to do kungfu, then...well the kungfu, she's not so good.

Kungfu you can carry with you anywhere no matter what you wear. :)

monkeyfoot
10-23-2008, 05:31 AM
true david....

but i am sporting chronic knee pain, so kicking/moving in jeans hurts my knee like hell....and a tracksuit looks pretty **** LOL

ngokfei
10-23-2008, 06:01 AM
A bit pricey but the best pants I've ever owned were made by a company called
"Phoenix5".

They have a few different grades/weights of fabric to choose from.

I've had the same pair for the last 3 years and even with multiple washings they have not faded or ripped (except the spot where a spear went through, that's another story:D)

Here's a site where you can order them
http://proshop.bokfudo.com/home/bok/page_110_7/phoenix_5_training_deluxe_pants.html

the original website www.phoenix5martialarts.com is down right now.

TenTigers
10-23-2008, 07:13 AM
I had a pair of black BDU military pants, They were loose fitting, comfortable,made out of ripstop material-so they were also lightweight-so they won't hurt like your jeans. I could do splits and tornado kicks in them, so they had plenty of room, without looking ridiculous. Or like Bruce LeRoy-you have drawstrings at the ankle, not elastic, so you have the option of having them cinched or open, so you don't look too geeky.
And military stuff is always in fashion! You can get them in black, olive,beige,different colored camo-Go to your nearest army/navy store.
Cargo pants, which are almost the same thing, are being sold everywhere.

SimonM
10-23-2008, 07:27 AM
I had a decent pair for durability and movement but they had a bit of a dodgy drawstring... can't remember the brand but I'll look into it.

jdhowland
10-23-2008, 08:30 AM
BDU trousers are a good choice. They are strong and inexpensive. Make sure you get the kind with a gusset. Some are high-waisted but don't leave enough room in the crotch for kicking.

I always prefer traditional cotton trousers with drawstrings at waist and ankles. I have no use for those newfangled elastic things. The drawstring style is getting harder to find. MartialArtSmart does not currently carry them. I think you can still get them at Bok Lei Po Trading.

GeneChing
10-23-2008, 09:09 AM
I used to hate those. But I suppose I can see it if you wanted to wear them on the street. I'm a big BDU fan - I've been wearing those for years, since long before it was fashionable. Lately I've been into Carhartts, although they are as free in the gusset. No worries - I'm not as flexible as I used to be. :o

MartialArtsMart.com currently carries the following basic martial arts pants:

Kung Fu Uniform Black Cotton Pants (http://www.martialartsmart.net/11-1700x.html) (elastic waistband and drawstring waist, elastic ankles)

Black Martial Arts Pants - Elite Black Poly/Cotton Fabric (http://www.martialartsmart.net/1185kp.html) (elastic waistband and drawstring waist)

Black Heavy Weight 100 % Cotton Pants (http://www.martialartsmart.net/114karunblac.html) ("Hayashi" brand heavyweight 14 oz. 100% cotton pants. These pants have an additional double-stitched inseam, full gusset and an elastic w/drawstring waistband.)

Next time I get the chance, I'll bring up drawstring ankles.

brothernumber9
10-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Chuck Norris Jeans, they got the elastic crotch and everything.
Yeah, Chuck Norris Jeans, thats gotta be the way to go.

BoulderDawg
10-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Wear them on the streets?

I have no problem with that but mine don't have any pockets!:p

mickey
10-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Greeings,

Why not a simple pair of sweat pants? They have pockets and comes in black and other colors. They are good for those who need to keep their knees warm. And they do not cost much.

mickey

David Jamieson
10-23-2008, 03:38 PM
sweat pants are the lunchwear of the adipose set.

not exactly street wear. lol

uki
10-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi people

I am looking for some kung fu trousers that are suitable for everyday wear on the street. I've search a lot of the main stores but am not really sure so I figured I would ask for recommendations.

Im looking for - black, made from lightweight material (no satin type stuff though lol), possibly elasticated cuff, loose fitting....something that looks cool, but allows for a full ROM.i find that military issue BDU's cover most aspects of the perfect martial arts pants... and the even have a wide variety of colors and patterns. they are built for combat, field tested, soldier approved; a kazillion pockets for all the whatnots we tend to carry, are a very comfortable feel and also have the amazing ability to enhance your escape and evasion techniques in the event of fleeing rather than confrontation. the ideal pants for any martial artist, wether from the urban sprawl of the 21st century or the steppes of the gobi... aside from all that, they are quite stylish with cotton kung fu shoes. :D

Lucas
10-23-2008, 04:03 PM
i just wear the standard black cotton baggy kungfu pants with the extra seams in the crotchal areal.

for me, they are light weight, durable, and somewhat most importantly, they dry quickly. BDU's are like this also. I just dont like pockets on my pants when im practicing, especially the side pockets. sometimes they can catch things like weapons and such. also i like being able to put my leg up and not have the pants hike up my calf. the kungfu pants stay put.

I cant stand pants that get drenched and stay drenched until you take them off.

i do use the elastic ankles, just because well, it keeps the pants out of the way for sure. ill wear these on the street pretty often as well, also the kungfu pants with elastic ankles are the bomb if you ride a bike regularly. you just pull on your pant leg and its up and out of the way of the chain.

when im at home practicing form or lifting or just working technique, a lot of the time i wear shorts, or just work out in my boxer shorts.

GreenCloudCLF
10-24-2008, 04:28 AM
http://buykungfu.com/?mainURL=/store/category/5gac/Uniforms_Bag.html

First pair on the page. Best pants ever, I have 15 pairs.

CFT
10-24-2008, 04:35 AM
Sounds like BDU pants are what we in the UK call combat or cargo trousers. Available on the high street, but they will be cotton not rip stop material. You'd have to look in Military surplus shops for the genuine article.

David Jamieson
10-24-2008, 06:14 AM
100% cotton is not very good for training in. It will stick to you and ultimately interfere with your range of motion. Get a poly blend to help teh cloth move with your body.

uki
10-25-2008, 07:52 AM
http://buykungfu.com/?mainURL=/store/category/5gac/Uniforms_Bag.html

First pair on the page. Best pants ever, I have 15 pairs.i find it interesting the store/site is called beijing imports, yet the 15 pairs you have are made in the usa. and as for 15 pairs, my god, you are like my girlfriend and shoes... i have been wearing the 5 pairs of pants i own for years now.:D

GreenCloudCLF
10-25-2008, 09:55 AM
i find it interesting the store/site is called beijing imports, yet the 15 pairs you have are made in the usa. and as for 15 pairs, my god, you are screwing my girlfriend ... i have been wearing the 5 pairs of pants i own for years now all with skidmarks.:D

Fixed.....

uki
10-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Fixed.....LOL. it took me a minute... and skid marks?!?!? haha. kids in diapers = babywipes. :)