PDA

View Full Version : An ACTUAL knife fight

sanjuro_ronin
10-23-2008, 04:46 AM
Not an attack, a real knife fight with live blades.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/kiuma/videos/39/

Lucas
10-23-2008, 08:49 AM
its cool that they were sporting about it.

i like the little dog that runs up to him as soon as he drops his knife after being cut. :D

David Jamieson
10-24-2008, 07:57 AM
that's what happens when you got crappy food and no tv.

sanjuro_ronin
10-24-2008, 08:10 AM
that's what happens when you got crappy food and no tv.

Because that stuff never happens here...:rolleyes:
Dude....

Lucas
10-24-2008, 11:05 AM
i notice how the guy that got cut, used what could be considered almost a traditional stance. generally very low, quick distracting arm movment and constant slash and thrust feints.

the other guy, the 'winner' seemed to adopt more of a fencing mindset it seemed. tall stance, not to much wasted movement.

pretty interesting to watch thouhg, i just wish it was better video.

sanjuro_ronin
10-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Speed is crucial in MA, even more so in knife fighting.
The "winner" was clam, got the timing down and used well placed speed and intent to slash the other guy when he left himself out there too long.

Lucas
10-24-2008, 01:25 PM
yeppers.

if im not mistaken, at least one cut (seems he was only cut once) was under the guys arm right? it seemed that way. could be a effective 'stop hit' with a knife i guess eh?

im kind of suprised that no one is really posting on this thread. since its, youknow, an actual recorded knife fight....

i guess armed video combat doesnt get much attention, like uh, ufo's, politics, and online bickering...

David Jamieson
10-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Because that stuff never happens here...:rolleyes:
Dude....

well we may get crappy food and no tv, but we just don't have that "crazy south american criminal who's bored and has a knife" scenario occuring up here too much.
:p

Lucas
10-25-2008, 11:48 AM
ya we've only had cases of like, 'hey i like your shoes, give em to me or ill shank you' kind of stuff up here.....

Lee Chiang Po
10-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Neither one had any skills at the knife. Probably no fighting skills at all from the looks of it.

Yum Cha
10-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Neither one had any skills at the knife. Probably no fighting skills at all from the looks of it.

I beg to differ, perhaps the most vital fighting skills of all - courage and intent.

TenTigers
10-26-2008, 08:02 PM
I beg to differ, perhaps the most vital fighting skills of all - courage and intent.
exactly. How many guys can take a cut and react calmly about it.
Most would experience fear, panic and/or a vasovagal response.
I believe these guys had plenty of experience.
Perhaps not a great deal of refined skills, but most definately experience.

-of course, he might have also been numb from shock.
oh well.

TenTigers
10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
ya we've only had cases of like, 'hey i like your shoes, give em to me or ill shank you' kind of stuff up here.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPRZntXAcMM

taai gihk yahn
10-26-2008, 10:16 PM

c'mon - those guys were cool as cucumbers moving around; they both had that look of knowing one or both of them were going to get cut, possibly badly, and they went about the whole thing like it was just another day at the office; if you don't think the ability to maintain that sort of mindset under life / death pressure isn't "skills at the knife", I don't know what is...

sanjuro_ronin
10-27-2008, 04:20 AM

Perhaps, but both were "smart" enough to know to go for the armed arm and to not overly commit.
They kept their cool and, while it seemed to be a "rules" fight, probably first blood, the better fighter won.

sanjuro_ronin
10-27-2008, 04:22 AM
yeppers.

if im not mistaken, at least one cut (seems he was only cut once) was under the guys arm right? it seemed that way. could be a effective 'stop hit' with a knife i guess eh?

im kind of suprised that no one is really posting on this thread. since its, youknow, an actual recorded knife fight....

i guess armed video combat doesnt get much attention, like uh, ufo's, politics, and online bickering...

God forbid you discuss actual fighting in a MA forum !!

SimonM
10-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Perhaps the thread was a bit too... excuse the pun...

cut and dry

Two guys fought with a knife. They looked like it wasn't their first fight. One guy got cut. He was probably OK.

The fight appeared to be by mutual consent.

So not too much to talk about...

Their technique looked... like generic knife fighting technique. Keep out of the way of the blade, don't over-commit, attack leading extremities.

Cut and dry.

sanjuro_ronin
10-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Because that's how everyone here trains knife fighting, right?

TaichiMantis
10-27-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm sure the adrenalin was flowing, in which case he may not initially feel the pain of a cut. Also, the dog could be useful to lick the wound...dog saliva has healing qi :p

...uh...unless of course, you are allergic to dog saliva.:eek:

SimonM
10-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Because that's how everyone here trains knife fighting, right?

Sure is how I'd do it... if I were training with knives.

It IS how I do sword training.

sanjuro_ronin
10-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Sure is how I'd do it... if I were training with knives.

It IS how I do sword training.

Of course, its very typical, that's why we see it so much on those videos showing "knife defenses" and such...
Glad you are in the minority Bro.

SimonM
10-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Of course, its very typical, that's why we see it so much on those videos showing "knife defenses" and such...
Glad you are in the minority Bro.

Ah those knife defenses videos...

They should be sub-titled "How to get yourself stabbed"

And then there is the mail-order video that IKF panders with the busty woman crouching on the ad... that should be subtitled "how to use clevage to distract your opponent in a knife"

sanjuro_ronin
10-27-2008, 10:55 AM

And then there is the mail-order video that IKF panders with the busty woman crouching on the ad... that should be subtitled "how to use clevage to distract your opponent in a knife"

Which video is that?

Phil Redmond
10-27-2008, 11:04 AM

LOL, no REAL knife fight or ANY fight will ever look like a choreographed movie fight scene.

sanjuro_ronin
10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
LOL, no REAL knife fight or ANY fight will ever look like a choreographed movie fight scene.

Lies !!
Lies I say !!!

SimonM
10-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Which video is that?

I don't recall.

All I remember was the impressive cleevage... and the little little knife that the woman was holding... to prove the video was about knife techniques.

I think it was pitching itself as a kali video.

Then again....

Every knife fighting system I see plugged in any martial arts magazine is billing itself as kali / escrima these days.

sanjuro_ronin
10-27-2008, 01:04 PM
I don't recall.

All I remember was the impressive cleevage... and the little little knife that the woman was holding... to prove the video was about knife techniques.

I think it was pitching itself as a kali video.

Then again....

Every knife fighting system I see plugged in any martial arts magazine is billing itself as kali / escrima these days.

Maybe it was the one with Diane(a) (SP?) Inosanto?
She is a babe, but she knows here knife work.

SimonM
10-27-2008, 01:18 PM
I'd have thought I would have remembered if it were an Inosanto. I'm familliar with Danny Inosanto from back in my "maybe JKD is cool" days and one would have thought the name would ring bells...

Meh.

I'll just look at an IKF when I go home and check.

taai gihk yahn
10-27-2008, 03:41 PM

or "How Fast Can You Clot?"

SimonM
10-28-2008, 06:05 AM
It's called

"A Cut Above"

and the woman in question is named Addy Hernandez

sanjuro_ronin
10-28-2008, 06:47 AM
It's called

"A Cut Above"

and the woman in question is named Addy Hernandez

I need a pic of the cleavage, er, I mean, DVD.
:D

SimonM
10-28-2008, 07:23 AM
I have no scanner.

I could try wikipedia. Nope.

As much as I cringe to say this you could look at IKF... at a library... and then buy KFM instead.

sanjuro_ronin
10-28-2008, 07:25 AM
I have no scanner.

I could try wikipedia. Nope.

As much as I cringe to say this you could look at IKF... at a library... and then buy KFM instead.

I got her Bro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu-KRpOVq70

SimonM
10-28-2008, 08:30 AM
LOL! Remember I can't youtube from work.

So is it complete bupkiss?

sanjuro_ronin
10-28-2008, 08:38 AM
LOL! Remember I can't youtube from work.

So is it complete bupkiss?

Nah, not complete, it's based on FMA.

martialartspeon
10-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Not the best video, but really interesting clip. I guess they don't really have any guards in those prisons. It sure did seem like it was a sporting event for them.

SimonM
10-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Nah, not complete, it's based on FMA.

Noddle... figures.

Fei Li
10-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Not the best video, but really interesting clip. I guess they don't really have any guards in those prisons. It sure did seem like it was a sporting event for them.

Looks like the third season of Prisonbreak, just without the white guys ;)

SimonM
10-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Rotfl

Paul T England
10-29-2008, 06:29 AM
The first thing I thought was, that is what I was taught, low in stance, balls of feet etc. The only difference is it was not life or death. They stopped after the first cut but in life or death that might not have beent he decisive cut.

Cool vid, great to see a real example...food for thought

Paul

Lee Chiang Po
10-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Courage and intent? I am sorry, but I did not see that. What I seen was 2 young men afraid of being cut. And I seen one get cut and both stopped fighting immediately. Where was intent? And courage? Gimme a break. If the sight of your own blood stops you from fearing for your very life you were not that fearful of death to begin with. If you get cut you fight that much harder.

sanjuro_ronin
10-30-2008, 05:36 AM
Courage and intent? I am sorry, but I did not see that. What I seen was 2 young men afraid of being cut. And I seen one get cut and both stopped fighting immediately. Where was intent? And courage? Gimme a break. If the sight of your own blood stops you from fearing for your very life you were not that fearful of death to begin with. If you get cut you fight that much harder.

And you base this view on what?
It is pretty obvious that it was a "fight" to "first blood" and not to the death.
Of course, if you can draw first blood in the opponents attacking limb, basicly the hardest part to get to since it is in constant motion and is the most protected since its the one that is armed, chances are you will be the "winner" in a "real" fight.

Mr Punch
10-30-2008, 06:46 AM
And you base this view on what?You're forgetting LCP is Da Realz Fite-to-da-Detthah.

CFT
10-30-2008, 06:48 AM
If this is anything like the documentaries then this would have been an "income" generating event in the prison. The winner is probably enjoying his month's supply of cigarettes ...

SimonM
10-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Ok LCP... if these guys were such chickens post something better.

Because, me, I don't see chickens. And if you think they looked "afraid to get cut" that just proves you haven't ever been cut yourself. Getting cut is not pleasant.

TaichiMantis
10-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Here you go, the pummeling defense...uh...er...offense! :D

[
Box cutter robber gets 'pummeled'

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 09:30 AM EDT

Updated: Oct 30, 2008 11:56 AM EDT

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - A would-be robber picked the wrong person to target, when he was beaten up and subdued by his intended victim.

According to police, a man and his girlfriend were walking near Diamond and Fairmont SE when the suspect approached them and demanded something.

The potential victim fought back and, police said, "pummeled him." His girlfriend called police.

Both the man and his girlfriend suffered cuts and needed stitches. The suspect is awaiting charges while sitting in the Kent County Jail.

hafoc
11-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Not an attack, a real knife fight with live blades.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/kiuma/videos/39/

Did anybody download this vid? The link no longer works. It seems the vid has been deleted from the site.

If anybody has downloaded it, would they be willing to email me a copy?