PDA

View Full Version : Best book on Kung Fu?

saltydeath
10-23-2008, 03:21 PM
I was wondering what everyone would recommend if you could choose one book on kung fu. I'm more interested in shao-lin in particular, but am trying to find any book that gives a good overview of training and conditioning exercises, forms, history, philosophy, and applications of the art. Any recommendations?

David Jamieson
10-23-2008, 03:41 PM
there's so many. To ask which is best is like asking which style is best. lol.

Royal Dragon
10-23-2008, 10:21 PM
The Shaolin Encyclopedia.

MasterKiller
10-24-2008, 06:07 AM
Secrets from the Temple by Sin Kwang The'

sanjuro_ronin
10-24-2008, 06:20 AM
The Shaolin Grandmasters' Text: History, Philosophy, and Gung Fu of Shaolin Ch'an
by Order of Shaolin Ch'an

:D

mickey
10-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Greetings,

No joking:

Taikiken by Kenichi Sawaii. There is a site that has the entire book on it. check it out before you spend money.

mickey

Fei Li
10-28-2008, 02:19 PM
I would definitely go for either "a sword polishers record" or "Lone sword against the cold cold sky" by Adam Hsu. Would have spared me a lot of time if I had read these books earlier…

iron_leg_dave
10-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Northern Shaolin Long Fist Kung Fu- Dr. Yang Jwing Ming

TenTigers
10-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Bruce Tegner's Book of Kung-Fu and Tai-Chi

:D

JGTevo
10-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Anything by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming is pretty much top notch.

TenTigers
10-28-2008, 10:28 PM
agreed. Dr. Yang's books are more like college texts, rather than simple,"How to" books. His Northern Shaolin Long Fist has history, theory,several forms and applications. Definately a must have.

sanjuro_ronin
10-29-2008, 05:21 AM
Adam Hsu's stuff is also quite good.

TaichiMantis
10-29-2008, 11:14 AM
I was wondering what everyone would recommend if you could choose one book on kung fu. I'm more interested in shao-lin in particular, but am trying to find any book that gives a good overview of training and conditioning exercises, forms, history, philosophy, and applications of the art. Any recommendations?

This is mandatory for our beginners:

Kungfu Basics by Paul Eng

187 PP with 300+ photos/illustrations; softcover; $18, includes shipping in continental US

From basic kicks to training and tournament- everything you need to get started in kungfu.

Learn about:

The origins of kungfu - philosophy, history and different styles

What really happens in a kungfu class - invaluable tips on choosing the right school, getting ready for your first class,and basic training methods

The essential elements of the style - stances, footwork, kicks, and hand techniques, with tips on common mistakes and how to get the most power out of each move.

Drills and conditioning exercises - to complement your training

Effective ways to improve your technique - based on the traditional teaching advice of Chinese masters

Resources that can help you further develop your knowledge and understanding of kungfu

holymantis
10-31-2008, 02:25 AM
Yes Kung Fu basics by Paul Eng.
i got a couple for some new starters at the club and it helpped them big time.
regards holymantis:D

Wu Lizhu
10-31-2008, 05:12 AM
Best book is in a Sifu's teachings not written on paper. I agree Encyclopedia of Shaolin Martial Arts is a good read, however you must read Chinese. Pictures and diagrams are good but not all complete, there are things in the writings that the illustrations don't show. Again a good teacher is the best book, as long as they are legitimate