PDA

View Full Version : Is there a point on the outer ear connected to the kidney area?

IronFist
10-23-2008, 10:15 PM
I have noticed this ever since I was a kid but never knew how to look it up so I'm just posting here.

Sometimes I will get an itch-type feeling on the outside of my ear, about half way up, on the back side of the ear (the part you would see if you were standing behind me). It's on the very back where the flap starts to fold over.

I have to scratch it lightly with my fingernail (if you apply too much pressure it just folds over... it is made from cartilage, after all). So anyway, as I drag my fingernail down along that surface of my ear, I feel a tingle on the same side in my kidney area. It's slight, but noticeable. It feels like the tiniest pin p.rick down there. It doesn't hurt, it's just more like an "ooh! :eek:" type of thing.

This happens every time I get an itch and scratch my ear like that. To be honest, I never scratch my ear if it doesn't itch, so I can't tell you if it still happens then. But after I do it a few times, it's like the point has been dulled and I stop feeling the tingle.

So is this a meridian or anything? Or do I just have some crosswired nerves somewhere?

I just thought of this now because it just happened, and right before I scratched my ear, I thought "I bet I feel this in my kidney area." And sure enough, I did! It was on the left side. I can't remember if the right side does the same thing but I think it does.

edit - wow you can't say p.rick here or it turns to ***** :D

OTD
10-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Iron Fist
The only point I know of on the ear is when you fold the ear(auricle) forward
it is at the apex of the fold. Commonly it is referred to as ExHN-5,
Extraordinary Accupoint Head Neck - 5 in Chinese it is called
Erjian (Erhchien). Usually associated with redness and swelling of the eyes,
most time it is used to reduce excessive heat. I don't know of any associations with the Kidneys. Is it the right ear and left side kidney (opposite side theory) or
same side reaction.

OTD

herb ox
10-25-2008, 11:00 PM
From an illustration from Terry Olesen's Auriculotherapy manual, I can see that area corresponds approximately to the spinal (motor) nerves - stimulating this point may be stimulating a nerve at the level that causes a tingle that you feel as coming from that area.

Otherwise, the kidney area is located in the cymbum concha of the ear, immediately inferior to the inferior crus of the antehelix... sorry, that's the only way I can accurately describe its position... do a google search for 'auriculotherapy' and look at the images. It's there... but not where you're scratching!

Fascinating, though. This is likely how the earliest acupuncture came about.

peace

herb ox