PDA

View Full Version : name 4 different styles that you would like to crosstrain in if you could!!!

irontiger1981
10-26-2008, 12:01 PM
:cool:mine would be:
1.shaolin 5 animal
2.shuai chiao
3.white tiger
4. chin na

MasterKiller
10-26-2008, 01:10 PM
All you need is San Shou and BJJ.

golden arhat
10-26-2008, 01:12 PM
i'd like to train pekiti tirsia and escrima

Xiao3 Meng4
10-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Zi Ran Men
Chen Tai Ji
Fencing
Kali

The list changes all the time, though. Tomorrow it might be Wing Chun, Systema, Judo and Archery.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Liu He ba fa
Baguazhang
Hsing I

taai gihk yahn
10-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Feragamo stiletto heels, Victoria Secret leather boustier, Chanel "little black dress" and...oh, cross train; sorry, never mind...

David43515
10-27-2008, 01:02 AM
Feragamo stiletto heels, Victoria Secret leather boustier, Chanel "little black dress" and...oh, cross train; sorry, never mind...

No, no. Please go on. .......a little slower;)

David43515
10-27-2008, 01:04 AM
Bagua Zhang
Hsing-I
Pa Chi Chuan
Ying Jow Pai

uki
10-27-2008, 03:17 AM
personally i'll just be a silver dragon.:D

SimonM
10-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Judo / JJ (no particular preference)
Hung Gar
Boxing
Baji Quan

David Jamieson
10-27-2008, 09:46 AM
1. boxing
2. wrestling
3. jujitsu
4. muay thai

these 4 together apparently trump just about everything else. lol.

i train boxing regimens now and I train extrapolated stuff from kungfu that I have been taught and have learned.

but i don't get much in the way of wrestling and have pretty much zero in the way of jujitsu with the exception of a few moves here and there that are woefully inadequately practiced in favour of striking, stamina and endurance stuff.

I 'd look into the Muay Thai because I like the way those guys train. I know a few guys who train MT and they are quite good and have good methods.

I've had my fill of traditional martial arts and am quite happy working with what I already have. I don't see much that interests me personally in most traditional martial arts anymore.

uki
10-27-2008, 10:31 AM
All you need is San Shou and BJJ.and here i thought all you needed was love...

冠木侍
10-27-2008, 04:19 PM
and here i thought all you needed was love...

We do...but it is 'tough love.'

uki
10-27-2008, 04:28 PM
We do...but it is 'tough love.' and sometimes love hurts.

taai gihk yahn
10-27-2008, 04:40 PM
and sometimes love hurts.

I hear that it also bites in the dead of night...

uki
10-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I hear that it also bites in the dead of night...that's why it's best to sleep alone...

taai gihk yahn
10-27-2008, 06:07 PM
that's why it's best to sleep alone...

3 people not to pisz off:

1) someone you sleep next to

2) someone who prepares / serves your food

3) someone who shaves you / cuts your hair

uki
10-28-2008, 03:47 AM
3 people not to pisz off:

1) someone you sleep next toi usually sleep alone.

2) someone who prepares / serves your foodi am quite apt at cooking myself.

3) someone who shaves you / cuts your hairi use hairclippers to shave... and hairclippers to cut my hair...

yet aside from all this selfishness, i love my girlfriend very much and appreciate all she does for me... most of the time...:D

and the very one person who you should most definitely not p!ss off is none other than... yourself.

sanjuro_ronin
10-28-2008, 04:21 AM
I don't advocate cross training systems at the same time, though you can probably mix "different pathways" and be ok, like Judo and karate or boxing and submission grappling, doing 4 is probably more than most can handle.

GreenCloudCLF
10-28-2008, 04:23 AM
Judo
BJJ
Muay Thai
Kama Sutra

uki
10-28-2008, 04:25 AM
Kama Sutraso do you give demonstrations at your school of all the kama sutra forms... er... positions?

Egg fu young
10-28-2008, 04:36 AM
I hear that it also bites in the dead of night...

Wow! A Judas Priest reference. I guess the cross dressing comment may have something to it................:D

GreenCloudCLF
10-28-2008, 04:45 AM
so do you give demonstrations at your school of all the kama sutra forms... er... positions?

Styles I would like to cross-train in.

uki
10-29-2008, 08:38 AM
ok... in common kung fu terminology, my 4 styles would be:

hsing-i
mi-tsung i
pa kua chang
pak fu

SimonM
10-29-2008, 08:48 AM
And in existing realism terminology have you ever "trained" in any of those styles of kung fu? You know, with a "teacher"?

uki
10-29-2008, 08:50 AM
And in existing realism terminology have you ever "trained" in any of those styles of kung fu? You know, with a "teacher"?the original question was what styles would you choose to crosstrain if you could. :)

SimonM
10-29-2008, 08:59 AM
True. That doesn't take my question off the table though. I have trained to a greater or lesser extent in three of the four styles I mentioned.

And you still haven't answered any of my questions regarding your education... martial or otherwise.

uki
10-29-2008, 09:10 AM
And you still haven't answered any of my questions regarding your education... martial or otherwise.questions are like gifts, you can accept them or refuse them.

SimonM
10-29-2008, 09:12 AM
And so I return to the null hypothesis. You have no formal education, no martial education and your opinions are merely the ramblings of the ignorant.

uki
10-29-2008, 09:14 AM
And so I return to the null hypothesis. You have no formal education, no martial education and your opinions are merely the ramblings of the ignorant.assumptions too, are like gifts...

SimonM
10-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Why don't you go and ask somebody what a null hypothesis is. The function of it is to be disproved; go ahead, disprove it. I remain open to any evidence that you have received education.

TenTigers
10-29-2008, 09:21 AM
ok, simmer down, girls.
1) Hung Kuen
2) SPM
3) Throwing and Grappling
4) Kali

These systems don't conflict with one another, but rather compliment each other.
I have found that the style of Hung Kuen I do and the SPM go hand in had, as the short bridging is so similar that I believe they share common origins.

Throwing and grappling are part and parcel of most all TCMA, and the structures of the throwing style I practice, which is a combination of the Hapkido and Hakkoryu,that I trained earlier in my career, combined with the Monguo Suet-Gow I train with Sifu Chao, again have many similarities to the above styles.

I have practiced some Sayoc Kali and Pekita Tersia, and the corto techniques of the sticks are directly related to the Hung Kuen, particularly the dahn-dao and gim, so they are good hands on training for them.
The blade art is very similar to Chinese short hand systems-close in, fluid, with trapping, running and bridge sensitivity, again very connected to my main systems.

sanjuro_ronin
10-29-2008, 09:32 AM
ok, simmer down, girls.
1) Hung Kuen
2) SPM
3) Throwing and Grappling
4) Kali

These systems don't conflict with one another, but rather compliment each other.
I have found that the style of Hung Kuen I do and the SPM go hand in had, as the short bridging is so similar that I believe they share common origins.

Throwing and grappling are part and parcel of most all TCMA, and the structures of the throwing style I practice, again have many similarities to the above styles.

I have practiced some Sayoc Kali and Pekita Tersia, and the corto techniques of the sticks are directly related to the Hung Kuen, particularly the dahn-dao and gim, so they are good hands on training for them.
The blade art is very similar to Chinese short hand systems-close in, fluid, with trapping, running and bridge sensitivity, again very connected to my main systems.

I think that HK creates the perfect core for SPM, the power created by HK training brings out the best in SPM.
I agree in regards to Kali, it suits short hand systems very, very well.

Yum Cha
10-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Just a thought - the Modern Pentathlon was supposed to be the combined disciplines of a military officer, riding, running, swimming, shooting and fencing. Riding and fencing, really modern, eh?

How about kickboxing (san shou rules), submission wrestling, Edged weapons, Pistol Shooting and marathon (evasion of capture - keep the weight classes down too...).

Ok, you could make an argument for combining the kickboxing and wrestling into MMA, and add long range rifle shooting (sniper)....

Just a thought.

TenTigers
10-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Ok, you could make an argument for combining the kickboxing and wrestling into MMA, and add long range rifle shooting (sniper)....
Just a thought.
yeah, then it would go mainstream and schools would open up teaching that.
Then it would get commercialized until it hit the McDojos, where it would be no-contact padded point sparring, and nerf ball guns.

Yum Cha
10-29-2008, 10:32 PM
yeah, then it would go mainstream and schools would open up teaching that.
Then it would get commercialized until it hit the McDojos, where it would be no-contact padded point sparring, and nerf ball guns.

And your point? Considering half the readers on this board are experts in Tekken and Street Fighter?

Call it a net sum gain....
:D:D

TenTigers
10-29-2008, 10:56 PM
And your point? Considering half the readers on this board are experts in Tekken and Street Fighter?

Call it a net sum gain....
:D:D

half?
You are being very generous.

uki
10-30-2008, 01:07 AM
And your point? Considering half the readers on this board are experts in Tekken and Street Fighter?i was fairly adept at mortal kombat when i was younger.:)

SimonM
10-30-2008, 08:19 AM
I prefer grand theft auto.

xcakid
10-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Pretty happy with my mix now.

Long Fist (which teaches the shuai Chiao and Chin Na)
Various tactical pistol and rifle courses
Arnis, although I am not actively training with anyone right now.

Maybe 5yrs from now, I would want to add either Bagua or Hsing I

bawang
10-30-2008, 11:23 AM
shuai jiao
shaolin quan :O
fujian and zhajiang crane
hap ga

hap ga looks so cool, northern berserker arm swinging !

David Jamieson
10-30-2008, 11:24 AM
bawang, are you training at the national fut gar center now? how do you like it there?

bawang
10-30-2008, 11:42 AM
hey dave, its complicated but i had to leave toronto and moved to guelph. i think i left a really bad impression there lol, i was in shock in big city toronto couldnt get adjusted and couldnt even talk to people ,ran out of money had no food no cloths had to work in chinatown no phone no email couldnt contact anyone for half a year didnt even have time to go to the school and tell them, i finally moved to guelph and sent sifu chow an apology couple months ago

sanjuro_ronin
10-30-2008, 12:02 PM
hey dave, its complicated but i had to leave toronto and moved to guelph. i think i left a really bad impression there lol, i was in shock in big city toronto couldnt get adjusted and couldnt even talk to people ,ran out of money had no food no cloths had to work in chinatown no phone no email couldnt contact anyone for half a year didnt even have time to go to the school and tell them, i finally moved to guelph and sent sifu chow an apology couple months ago

Dude...sorry to hear that, the Big City can ***** slap you hard, that's for sure.

uki
10-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Dude...sorry to hear that, the Big City can ***** slap you hard, that's for sure.toronto... whoa, look out... big city there.:p
try walking across budapest...

bawang
10-30-2008, 12:15 PM
hehe thanks man, toronto is really facked up, hip rich cool young metrosexuals walking downtown then couple of blocks down the street its poverty ghettos chiantown with triads patrolling the streets and beggar with bleeding faces and sweatshos lol i wish i was joking. real cold place too people are ice cold. i met a lof of cool kung fu people in the suburbs tho baji, taiji, erlang, lianhua there was some good times

SimonM
10-30-2008, 12:33 PM
toronto... whoa, look out... big city there.:p

I've spent plenty of time in Beijing and you know what...

Toronto is still a big city jack@ss.

Bawang: When did you get to T-dot?

Also let me know if you are coming down London way.

sanjuro_ronin
10-30-2008, 01:14 PM
toronto... whoa, look out... big city there.:p

Budapest? that village?
Bah !
:p

I don't think you understand the reference to "Big City" it has zero to due with population or size.

uki
10-30-2008, 02:26 PM
I don't think you understand the reference to "Big City" it has zero to due with population or size.of course i do, i just like to keep skipping stones across the pond.:D

WinterPalm
10-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Right now I do San Da and BJJ. Like Masterkiller said, this is a pretty good mix. San Da wants you to throw the guy and stay standing or at least land on top. My BJJ coach screams at me to stay on top and never give up top position. They compliment each other immensely.

If I had the time and the energy, which I really don't, I'd like to get more into straight wrestling and maybe some knife and stick fighting stuff.

David Jamieson
10-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Budapest? that village?
Bah !
:p

I don't think you understand the reference to "Big City" it has zero to due with population or size.

2 villages actually.

you know, Buda on one side of the river and pest on the other.
Together, they make a lovely town. Though that was before 1873...or something like that.

having said that, Toronto is bigger in area and population than Budapest, so there you go on that. :)

uki
10-30-2008, 03:45 PM
2 villages actually.not anymore...

you know, Buda on one side of the river and pest on the other.
Together, they make a lovely town. Though that was before 1873...or something like that.buda castle overlooks pest from above the donau... did you know that hungarians are descendants of ghengis kahn?

having said that, Toronto is bigger in area and population than Budapest, so there you go on that.not likely... but each to there own.

David Jamieson
10-30-2008, 06:19 PM
uh, yes likely.

geez dude, these are readily accessible stats.

budapest area=525 acres
toronto area=630 acres

budapest population 2.1million
toronto population 2.5 million

google is your friend.

uki
10-31-2008, 04:04 AM
uh, yes likely.

geez dude, these are readily accessible stats.

budapest area=525 acres
toronto area=630 acres

budapest population 2.1million
toronto population 2.5 million

google is your friend.what a nose to nose finish... are these stats recent? do they take into account east european immigrants clogging the streets? gypsies? how about all the tourists? i am sure both cities are expanding... but which ones rate is faster? dang it will be close... it will be close.:p

sanjuro_ronin
10-31-2008, 04:08 AM
what a nose to nose finish... are these stats recent? do they take into account east european immigrants clogging the streets? gypsies? how about all the tourists? i am sure both cities are expanding... but which ones rate is faster? dang it will be close... it will be close.:p

Dude, on any given day, Toronto has about 5 million people in it with all the comuters and whatnot.

Mr Punch
10-31-2008, 04:28 AM
No offense dood, but say, three Canadians probably equals about one direct descendant of the ever-busy Genghis Khan.

David Jamieson
10-31-2008, 05:16 AM
Dude, on any given day, Toronto has about 5 million people in it with all the comuters and whatnot.

GTA(greater toronto area) = 8.5 million people. And a whole lot more acres as well. And that's not including Missisauga which is another million or so and it doesn't include markham either which is about a 1/2 million and then...well heck, from Hamilton to Coburg is pretty much populated.

About 1/4 of the entire country lives in and around Toronto when it comes right down to it.

SimonM
10-31-2008, 08:45 AM
And that's why the rest of the country hates you. ;)

sanjuro_ronin
10-31-2008, 08:48 AM
No offense dood, but say, three Canadians probably equals about one direct descendant of the ever-busy Genghis Khan.

I hear she gives great "war helmet".