PDA

View Full Version : Robert Smith vs. GM Chang

YouKnowWho
10-26-2008, 05:14 PM
In Martial Musings, Robert W. Smith commented on how he used his judo against "all" of Shang Dongsheng's top wrestlers, and won. Shuai jiao has no groundwork, and no submissions, and yet Smith still succeeded, even when fighting under those rules.
This is the GM Chang side of story, a public report from Roger Su.

Time: 1957
Location: Old Central Police Academyl wrestling room, Guangzhou St, Taipei, Taiwan

Roger Su: 15 years old, 162 cm height, 51 kgs weight, 2 years in SC, favor moves - Side door 1/2 bowing 1/2 trapping, Tel (H)02-2708-3962, (O)0916-706403
Shen Chun-Hui: 17 years old, 175 cm height, 48 kgs weight, 2 years in SC, favor move - Side door 1/2 bowing 1/2 trapping, Tel (O)886-7695-2511, (H)886-6234-7678
Robert Smith: age ? , 198 cm height, 98 Kgs weight, 3rd Dan Judo from 講道館, favor moves - Aishibalah, Kisha Kuruma

Round 1: Robert Smith was defeated by Roger Su.
Round 2: Robert Smith was defeated by Shen Chun_Hui.
Round 3: Robert Smith tied with Wang Mao-Chu.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jun. 27, '08, Taipei
AA. Robert Smith 係於1957透過周繼春叔叔(空軍上校/中校)介紹來和常老師學摔角 !
當時他已獲日本東京講道館頒"柔道三段"實力 ! 在美國已是柔道名師並著有
"Judo" 一書出版發行 ! 曾致贈一本給常老師相信你也見過 !
BB. 當時有一天晚間由周叔叔帶同 Robert Smith 到台北市廣州街"中央警官學校"由
游泳池改裝之摔角場兼靶場練習摔角 ! 他當時身高約 198cm , 體重約 98kgs ! 記
得當時常老師看到他脫下之一雙皮鞋擺在摔角場邊時告訴大笑稱他的皮鞋活像
兩條"小船" ! 當時在場我記得是中央警官學校 24 期上課有王茂竹,葉登文等人上
有我,沈春暉,岑貴成和湛金濤師兄等人! 當晚常老師先要求我下場與 RobertSmith
實摔 ! 他著柔道衣,我穿摔角衣 ! 我時年十五歲建中高一,身高162cm體重51kgs !
只跟常老師練過兩年摔角 ! Robert Smith 專長柔道之"送腳掃 Aishibalah" 和"膝
車Kisha Kuruma" 動作非常犀利剛猛 ! 他多次以其專長攻擊我極具震憾力 ! 唯均
未能將我摔倒 ! 我當時個子只到他胸口 ! 最後我以非常快速的"偏門揣蹩"將他過
頭凌空摔倒在地 ! 他起身後連連對我說"Good Boy ! Good Boy !" 叫停, 我至今還
記得非常清楚 !!! 接下來沈春暉看我用我們兩人的共同專長"偏門揣蹩"把 Robert
Smith摔倒! 他也主動跳出和 Robert Smith 摔 ! 結果 Robert Smith 也被沈春暉以
相同動作快速凌空摔倒在地 ! 時沈春暉年十七歲,身高165cm,體重48kgs,就讀師大
附中高一 !
CC. Robert Smith 說打敗所有常老師最好學生是胡說八道 ! 他只能摔贏當時實力較弱
的 警官學校24期學生們 ! 王茂竹他都無法摔倒 !
DD. 有一年我到Ohio參加 Gene Chicone七十歲生日, Michael Lograsso拿出一本
Robert Smith 返美後所寫描述他當年來台向多位國術師父們學習中國武術
書中除說明係透過周繼春叔叔引見台灣多位國術界名師習藝! 對常老師以找一
些資深學生Senior Students來將他摔倒的教法非常不滿 ! 而事實上只有我和沈春
暉兩個小毛頭 !? 才練兩年摔角 ! 那是其所謂常老師的"Senior Students" !?
EE. 我不知 Robert Smith 如此胡說 ! 我以上所述完全是當時現場實況 ! 必要時可轉刊
美國武術雜誌或網站以正視聽 ! 我絕無半句謊言可百分之兩百負法律責 !!! 沈春暉
目前尚在台南 ! Tel.886-7695-2511(O), 886-6234-7678(H) !
FF. 你可否將Robert Smith書上所言掃描寄來給我見識見識 ? 謝謝 !

Here is initial translation (detail translation will be available if needed)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robert Smith in 1957 introduced through uncle Zhou Jichun {*1} (an Air Force colonel / colonel) came to learn shuai-Chiao with GM Chang in Taiwan!
At that time, Smith has been awarded 3rd Dan from 講道館 in the United States is a judo teacher and co-author of a book called "Judo" published in USA {*2}! Smith gave a copy of this book to GM Chang, maybe you have see it too!

At that night uncle Zhou JiChun brought Robert Smith to "the Central Police Academy" in Guangzhou Street Taipei. It was SC practice field and shooting range modified from a swimming pool! Smith was standing about 198cm, and weighing about 98kgs!

Appropriate time to time to see the teacher, he took off his shoes before a pair of wrestling when the court to say that he's laughing like shoes
Two "small"! At that time I remember it was the presence of the Central Police Academy class has 24 bamboo Wang, Ye Teng Wen, et al
I have, Shen Chun-hui, as Cengui and Zhan Jin Tao, and other senior people! First night of regular teachers asked me to end with the RobertSmith
Throw it! Forward to his judo clothing, I wear clothes wrestling! I am 15 years old in a high-Jianzhong, 162cm height and weight 51kgs!
Only practiced with the regular teacher for two years wrestling! Robert Smith's expertise in judo "to send foot sweep Aishibalah" and "knee
Car Kisha Kuruma "very sharp moves Gangmeng! He repeatedly attacked for its expertise in power, I very shocked! Are only
I will not fall down! I was just tall to his chest! Finally, I very quickly "Pianmen limp guess," he would have
The first volley fell to the ground! After he got up again and again told me that "Good Boy! Good Boy!" Stop, I still
I remember very well!!! Next Shen Chun-hui, I see two of our expertise together, "Pianmen limp figure" Robert
Smith fell down! He take the initiative to jump out and throw Robert Smith! Results of the Robert Smith has been to Shen Chun-hui
The same as the air moves quickly fall to the ground! Shen Chun-hui at 17 years old, stands 165cm, weight 48kgs, National Taiwan Normal University students
A middle school affiliated to the high!
CC. Robert Smith said teachers often beat all the best students is nonsense! He can only win was weak and fell
Police Academy's 24 students! Wang Zhu, he could not fall down!
DD. One year I went to Ohio to participate in Gene Chicone 70-year-old birthday, Michael Lograsso come up with a
Robert Smith returned to the United States after he wrote to describe a number of years ago to come to Taiwan to study martial arts master who, after a Chinese martial arts
In addition to the description in the book through the Taiwan Zhou Jichun uncle introduced a number of martial arts teachers to study outside the community! For the regular teacher to find a
Senior Students some senior students to the fall, he will be very dissatisfied with the teaching! Only a matter of fact, I and Chen Chun
The two Fai Xiao Maotou!? Only two years wrestling practice! It is often called the teacher's "Senior Students"!?
EE. I do not know that Robert Smith nonsense! Above, I was totally live!, If necessary, to be published
U.S. martial arts magazine or Web site in order to set the record straight! I have no words can lie held legally responsible for 200 percent!!! Shen Chun-hui
Tainan is still! Tel.886-7695-2511 (O), 886-6234-7678 (H)!
FF. You could be Robert Smith said, scanning books sent to me to see to see? Thank you,

Translater Note
{*1} Chinese MA tradition to have a honorable/trustWorthy person that the teacher know about to introduce a new student for charctor witness. Most old-school teacher prefers to accept student this way, so MA knowledge is not passed to evil person.

{*2-??} 講道館 not sure which school this is in English? Is this the book by Donn Draeger which co-author by Robert Smith? "Draeger, Donn and Robert W. Smith. Asian Fighting Arts, Kodansha International, 1969; re-titled Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts upon republication, 1980 (ISBN 978-0870114366)"???

Three Harmonies
10-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Seriously...let it go.
Jake

lkfmdc
10-26-2008, 09:28 PM
well.......

1. FRAT

2. It is old news

3. But Smith has been shown to be not only a liar but incredibly illogical as well. It's a shame he is considered an "expert" here in the US

taai gihk yahn
10-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Appropriate time to time to see the teacher, he took off his shoes before a pair of wrestling when the court to say that he's laughing like shoes...
I will not fall down! I was just tall to his chest! Finally, I very quickly "Pianmen limp guess," he would have...
The first volley fell to the ground! After he got up again and again told me that "Good Boy! Good Boy!"
I think I know what else (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMZtdLra24E) you've translated...

YouKnowWho
10-27-2008, 01:02 AM
My friend did that and I think he may use a Chinese to English translation software. I know my Chinglish is bad but that that bad. :D

I didn't bother to get into too much detail as long as time, place, person involved, result are mentioned.

sanjuro_ronin
10-27-2008, 04:18 AM
I have the book Martial Musings and it has some interesting anecdotes, but it is solely an "opinion piece" at best.
One must take all these things with a grain of salt, even more so coming from a man the wrote that "tongue and cheek" book, Deadliest fighting arts.

SimonM
10-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Who is Robert Smith?

Searching for a specific Bob Smith on the internet is sort of like looking for videos of "stupid sh!t"

Eddie
10-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Who is Robert Smith?

lead singer for the cure duuuhhh!!!

:)

SimonM
10-27-2008, 08:58 AM
See that's the problem.

nolte13
10-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Robert Smith's best victory?

Taking down Barbara Streisand. I'm pretty sure he didn't use judo though...

SPJ
10-27-2008, 09:10 AM
http://books.google.com/books?id=2zcEEf1ceLkC&dq=robert+smith+chinese+boxing&pg=PP1&ots=X4L8w4JcNm&source=bn&sig=QaAoIRCvXeP69-Ck7LQ3el2hjMk&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPP1,M1

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=3rc2j0pcJwMC&dq=robert+smith+chinese+boxing&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=QfPpCkaII8&sig=ru21P0Q0YQUjPgJCM0Ali-oHDBU&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result#PPP1,M1

http://zlaten-drakon.com/knigi/books/smith,%20robert-pa%20kua%20-%20chinese%20boxing%20for%20fitness%20&%20self-defense%20.pdf

SPJ
10-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Many people may make many claims.

Most people usually IGNORE the claims.

:D

SimonM
10-27-2008, 10:00 AM
I love the way he tries to justify slap fighting... "We pulled our punches; otherwise I would not have continued long. This was done by breaking the power at the wrist and slapping with the fist..." (Smith, Chinese Boxing, 4)

sanjuro_ronin
10-27-2008, 11:00 AM
There were times that I couldn't really figure out what Smith was trying to "sell", I recall how be "belittled" Draeger when, in his view, he got caught up too much in the indonesian arts and the southern chinese ones, which Smith obviously viewed as inferior to what he had learned.
He was very bias and closed minded in regards to the actual fighting aspects of CMA.

Mas Judt
10-30-2008, 01:02 PM
I remember reading Smith's stuff and quickly finding it did not match my direct experience - chalked most of it up to him being none-too-bright.

Draeger himself made many an error - but largely due to cultural ignorance as he journeyed into the Nusantra and not willful ignorance. Draeger really tried to do a good job. Smith on the other hand seemed to just be full of himself.

And Ross - it is hard to get past something when it is in print, in a book as some kind of voice of authority. Can't blame these guys if they stay p!ssed.

lkfmdc
10-30-2008, 02:03 PM
And Ross - it is hard to get past something when it is in print, in a book as some kind of voice of authority. Can't blame these guys if they stay p!ssed.

Well, that's valid, but I guess I'm getting like CTS in my old age, ie "those that matter know, those who don't matter who cares?"

Smith is among those who know, pretty much a clown

Water Dragon
10-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Well, that's valid, but I guess I'm getting like CTS in my old age, ie "those that matter know, those who don't matter who cares?"

True, but ya gotta remember that this the Chinese we're talking about. If everytime you went to the bathroom, you had to look at some writing on the wall about how your wife gives great head, you'd be upset even if 20 years went by, even if it were all lies. This is about the same thing to some of those involved in this one.

Three Harmonies
10-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Not even apples to apples bro. Too much ego involved. Let it go.

And my wife does give great head...... just to me;):D

Water Dragon
10-30-2008, 05:58 PM
I suppose you're right. The Kung Fu guys take it way more seriously.

SimonM
10-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Dude...

TMI

lkfmdc
10-31-2008, 08:16 AM
And my wife does give great head......

must

resist

must resist

urge

to post

comment

resisting

resisting

.......:p

Water Dragon
10-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Dude, where's my keys?

TMI

Sorry, couldn't resist

Three Harmonies
10-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Don't be hatin!;) Jealous fools:p
Ross - go for it bro, I can handle **** talk unlike many slack jawed pussies;):D

SimonM
10-31-2008, 03:22 PM
I for one want to see more duels to the death stemming from snyde comments.

Far too few kung fu masters are leaving a trail of the broken dead in response to attacks from bombastic martial arts authors.

Furthermore there has been a marked decline in ninja attacks. Clearly ninjas prevent global warming. Therefore we must see a resurgence in ninja attacks. Perhaps the insulted kung fu masters can combine forces with the ninjas to fight global warming and insults.