PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Dog

LizMantis
10-24-2000, 02:28 AM
Has anyone seen this movie? It it worth watching?

www.kungfuexchange.com (http://www.kungfuexchange.com)

matrixninja
10-24-2000, 04:39 AM
Yes it is worth watching, I really liked this movie.

"Believe the unbelievable"**The Matrix**
"Without order there is Chaos & With out Chaos ther is no order"

wisdom mind
10-24-2000, 04:50 PM
i and i think its a bit overrated, but worth seeing anywayz...wish there was more hand to hand combat and martial arts.

Taijimantis
11-11-2000, 04:11 AM
Having just completed a film analysis on "Ghost Dog:Way of the Samurai" and "Clockwork Orange" I can tell you that this is an excellent movie, unless you are expecting a martial arts masterpiece.

"Ghost Dog" is not about karate, Kung Fu, or any other hand to hand system. It is about looking to where we came from, where we are, and where we are going.

The story is not supposed to be about fighting as much as it is about trying to mantain ones honor and dignity in this lawless society that we live in today.

There is a lot of the Philosophy, Hakagure is quoted throughout, and each example cited is brought into play in modern context. The content is an excellent comparison of the Old World Fuedalist Japan, and the structure of Modern Day organized Crime. It may have been a little hoakey and stereotypical, but overall for one who understands the philosophy of bushido, they will appriciate the format in which this film is displayed.

Its cultural relevancy is an uncanny look at who we are and what our actions amount to.

For those of you wo are not familliar with Japanese styles or philosophy, when reading the narratives you will likely be able to draw similarities between The writings in Ghost Dog's books, and Things like the Tao Te Ching, and The Art of War.

If anyone else is interested in film, and its social messages feel free to mail me! I am especially getting into the foreign and independent film scene.

Two other good non-martial arts films dealing with the life and philosophy of the far east I reccomend, are "The King of Masks" and "Farewell My Concubine."

Namaste.