PDA

View Full Version : What styles make up 8 step mantis?

phantom
10-24-2000, 08:36 PM
I have read that 8 step mantis has moves from eagle claw, wu style tai chi, tong bei, hsing-i, and pa kua in it. What other styles make up this art?

8stepsifu
10-25-2000, 02:13 AM
Wu style tai chi isn't a part of 8 step. They are two seperate styles, they are just taught together. Plum Flower Mantis,Ba Gua, Hsing I and Tong Bei (added by Master Chiang Wang Long)
Eagle claw, chin na, shuai chiao (added by Master Feng Hua Yi). Wu Style Tai Chi and Chinese Medecine (Added by Master Wei Hsiao Tang)

8Step Sifu

8stepsifu
10-25-2000, 03:48 AM
These other styles werent slapped onto 8 Step. The Grandmasters of 8 Step who inherited the system went to other Masters to get this information and make the additions. They werent amateurs slapping pieces together.

8Step Sifu

unicornfist
10-25-2000, 04:34 AM
A friend of mine, who studies 8 step from master Lin Chin Fu, says that master Wei was very adept at using the 3 section staff.

8stepsifu
10-25-2000, 05:39 AM
I didn't know that. I end up getting hit in the shin and back of the head every time I play with one. I'm suprised it was a traditional weapon....8 Step has some strange weapons. Like bullwhips and chucking rocks at people! who would have thought? When I found that out I thought of the movie "BraveHeart"

8Step Sifu

Mantis_Hand
10-25-2000, 06:35 PM
Wah Lum has some odd weapons also. I don't know how many other styles teach Bow and Arrow, but we have that as well as the Bullwhip.

<embed src="http://www.geocities.com/lattethunder03862/zorak.swf" quality=high pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="415" height="90">
</embed>

8stepsifu
10-25-2000, 06:57 PM
Theres the lasso and the bullwhip. All you need now is a cowboy hat and a six shooter.

8Step Sifu

Mantis_Hand
10-25-2000, 10:42 PM
how about the monk's spade or the moon tooth spade. they're little more than shovels aren't they?

<embed src="http://www.geocities.com/lattethunder03862/zorak.swf" quality=high pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="415" height="90">
</embed>

unicornfist
10-26-2000, 12:36 AM
Peng Han-Ping,who recently died in a motorcycle accident, studied 8 step from Wei Hsiao-Tang and weapons from Han Te-Hsiang. He was also apparently very good at the 3 section staff. In the May 2000 issue of Inside Kung Fu, it is stated that at the Tat May-Wong Chinese Martial Arts Championships he dazzled the crowd with his 3 section staff in the Master's Exhibition! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

8stepsifu
10-26-2000, 02:33 AM
I saw Sifu Peng's obituary in inside KF. He had some legs on him. Huge legs and forearms are must have's for kung fu masters. Do you have any pics of Master Wei?? If so I would love to see them.

8Step Sifu

h00ka
10-26-2000, 08:05 PM
How effective is the 3 section staff, is it just for show or what, seems kind of cumbersum. i maybe wrong.

KNH13
10-26-2000, 11:45 PM
You could consider all weapons for show. It's really the techniques that are for show. It may not seem practical, but you can become proficient with one. It all depends on how long & how hard you practice.

unicornfist
10-27-2000, 01:37 AM
There are 8 stepping patterns which are the foundation of the 8 step system---Hence the name 8 step. Some of these I have seen are similar in application to Hsing-I; Specifically, "Sweeping the Leaves" and "Chicken step". However, aside from the hand techniques which are fairly representative of all Northern Praying Mantis (but with different emphasis), the actual footwork in 8 step is very characteristic of Ba Gua.

8stepsifu
10-27-2000, 03:16 AM
What are "sweeping the leaves" and "chicken step" can you describe them. I think something might have gotten lost in translation. IE. Frozen Chicken Stance is now called "single leg stance". I know some of our power generation comes from hsing I and ba gua's influence is found all throughout 8 step applications.

There are actually 16 kinds of footwork. 8 long steps and 8 short steps

8Step Sifu

unicornfist
10-27-2000, 05:34 AM
Are you interested in the hand, foot or moving technique of the 8 stepping patterns? For instance, the short step leg movement for "sweeping leaves" is: In a left stance, the right (rear) foot makes a circular sweeping arc (counterclockwise) to a position in front of the left foot. The right foot points out 45 degrees in a loose legs crossed position.The right foot, then quickly moves foward, returning to the original left stance.

Are you familiar with the kou pu and bi pu principle of direction change which 8 step adopted from ba gua?

8stepsifu
10-27-2000, 05:52 AM
I think thats for throwing. And If it is I knew that was a ba gua set up. The names are different. The kou bu I have no idea about if bi bu can be at all pronounced ba bu, then yes I do. I also heard that the ba duan entry techniques also came from ba gua. Was your friend's teacher a park student of Master Wei's?
Does Ko bu mean cutting step? If my interpretation of sweeping the leaves is correct, then I don't think thats one of the 8 steps. I think thats just positioning for throwing.

8Step Sifu

unicornfist
10-27-2000, 09:09 PM
With sweep leaves, what I was referring to was an evasive angular step, both defensive (getting out of the way) and offensive (tripping) at the same time. Another one of the 8 steps makes use of a 45 degree angle zig-zag pattern maintaining the mantis stance. There is one which utilizes 3 quick steps foward. The chicken stepping is a series of steps which together form a semi circle---sort of resembles how a chicken runs!

Kou bu and bi bu is something different. It is just the footwork for how one changes direction and keep the same stance they're in. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

8stepsifu
10-27-2000, 09:31 PM
I misunderstood you. Now I know what your talking about. Do you practice 8 Step too or is this from what your frined tells you? If so how many sets do you know?

What else do you know about Grandmaster Wei? What was he like, noted for etc. How many years did your Sifu study under him.

8Step Sifu

[This message was edited by 8stepsifu on 10-28-00 at 02:44 PM.]

mantis1999
11-03-2000, 05:30 AM
I was told by my Master that the Park Students that unicornfist is talking about aren't very good at all. Master Wei only tought real mantis to a few people.

EARTH DRAGON
05-29-2001, 08:52 PM
HERE IS THE FOOTWORK FROM MASTER WEI XIAO TUNG WANT TO KNOW MORE COME VISIT MY FORUM

1.HEN YE BU – ( SIDE STEP ) DEFENSIVE STEP TO AVOID A PUNCH

2.SU JIAO BU – ( TRIANGLE STEP ) 3 PART FORWARD STEP MOTION

3.FANG XING BU –( SQUARE STEP ) DODGING FORWARD & BACKWARD

4.MEI HUA BU – ( FIVE CORNER STEP ) STEP AROUND OPPONENT

5.LIU XING BU – (TWO TRIANGLE STEP) POINTED OPPOSITE DIRECTION

6.QI XING BU – ( 7 STAR STEP ) FORWARD TRIANGLE

7.ZOU ZHAN BU – ( 3 STEP ) FOLLOW FOOT 3 STEP FORWARD & BACK

8.BA GUA BU – ( 8 CHANGING STEP) TURNING IN A CIRCULAR FASHION

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

EARTH DRAGON
05-29-2001, 08:54 PM
HERE IS THE FOOTWORK FROM MASTER WEI XIAO TUNG WANT TO KNOW MORE COME VISIT MY FORUM

1.HEN YE BU – ( SIDE STEP ) DEFENSIVE STEP TO AVOID A PUNCH

2.SU JIAO BU – ( TRIANGLE STEP ) 3 PART FORWARD STEP MOTION

3.FANG XING BU –( SQUARE STEP ) DODGING FORWARD & BACKWARD

4.MEI HUA BU – ( FIVE CORNER STEP ) STEP AROUND OPPONENT

5.LIU XING BU – (TWO TRIANGLE STEP) POINTED OPPOSITE DIRECTION

6.QI XING BU – ( 7 STAR STEP ) FORWARD TRIANGLE

7.ZOU ZHAN BU – ( 3 STEP ) FOLLOW FOOT 3 STEP FORWARD & BACK

8.BA GUA BU – ( 8 CHANGING STEP) TURNING IN A CIRCULAR FASHION

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

baldmantiz
05-31-2001, 05:45 PM
there was an interesting article almost a year ago in the kungfu/qigong magazine that listed the 100 kung fu weapons. it was real interesting to see some of these and basically anything can be a weapon. in response to the strangest weapons above, the strangest one i saw was a sharpened coin.

word
05-31-2001, 08:58 PM
phanton do you train any martial arts or do you just read and ask questions/fdsafsa