I eated it.

very sorry.:o

xcakid
08-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Free Bruce Leroy!!

Never even knew a sequel was in the works. :confused:

Royal Dragon
08-14-2008, 09:48 AM
I had heard here about a year ago that a second movie was in the works. I seem to remember the guy who played Leroy was either posting here, or someone who knew him was posting here about the second movie.

doug maverick
08-14-2008, 10:24 AM
it never got filmed in fact tai mak just shot a trailer for a film he wants to turn into a featre i forgot the name but he was talking about it on myspace.

mickey
08-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Greetings,

There was an audition for The Last Dragon II that took place in Harlem many years ago. The shock was that a serious flock of no name Brothers swooped down and demonstrated MADD SKILLZ. They had people in the audience going wild. My sister was there with my 2 neices, who wanted to be in the movie. When my sister told me about the event she was totally wide eyed and did not blink once.

doug maverick, check your circles. Certainly there is someone besides myself who knows about this. Oh yeah, Taimak was there, too.

Just a small share.

mickey

doug maverick
08-18-2008, 08:11 AM
yeah i heard about that when it was going down. butr i do know that the film is totally not happening. tai like the rest of the world is a myspace adict and checks his messages daily so maybe i should ask him but he probably gets that queston alot.

drleungjohn
08-20-2008, 11:53 PM
The Actor Julius Carey III-who created the iconic "Sho nuff" died of Pancreatic Cancer last night-

If you have seen "The Last Dragon" then you know what an impact this character-and this man-made on us--

May he rest in peace!!!

Phil Redmond
08-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Yep, Aug.19, 2008. He as 56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--N1Q8D6dqE
May he rest in peace!!!

GeneChing
10-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Mace as Sho'Nuff. I could see that.

Samuel L. Jackson riding "Last Dragon" remake (http://uk.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUKTRE49T1NV20081030)
Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:59am GMT
By Leslie Simmons

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Samuel L. Jackson is taking on another heavy role.

Having most recently played a dirty cop in "Lakeview Terrace," Jackson is set to star as a bad guy again in a remake of Motown Records founder Berry Gordy's 1985 cult classic "The Last Dragon."

Jackson will play Sho'Nuff, the Shogun of Harlem, a role played in the original by the late Julius Carry, whose spiel included asking ego-driven questions like "Am I the baddest mofo lowdown around this town?" Each time his gang of thugs answered, "Sho'Nuff!"

Columbia Pictures' updated plot will be along the same lines of the original, centring on young martial arts student Leroy Green in his quest through the streets of New York to achieve the highest level of martial arts accomplishment, known as the Last Dragon. Those who achieve the high ranking possess the Glow, making them the greatest fighter alive.

The original, which also starred one-namers Taimak and then-Prince protegee Vanity, was released in March 1985 by TriStar Pictures and received lukewarm reviews. Roger Ebert said it was a "great near-miss."

"Last Dragon" managed to do well at the box office, grossing nearly $26 million. It soon became a cult classic for scenes like Bruce Lee follower Green remaining so loyal to the martial arts star that he eats his popcorn in a movie theatre with chopsticks.

"I'm a huge fan of the original and look forward to bringing Sho'Nuff into the 21st century," said Jackson, who returns to theatres soon alongside the late Bernie Mac in "Soul Men."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Here's our Last Dragon thread (the original) (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?63503-The-Last-Dragon), for archival sake.

iron_silk
10-30-2008, 10:50 AM
In my opinion...the 80's cheese flavour is what made the movie appealing.

What can they do with it now I wonder?

doug maverick
10-30-2008, 12:05 PM
yeah don't know how that would work in this day and age, that was a long time ago. wondeer if they are gonna use taimak who actually still looks the same, even thou he's over forty. and is still just as ripped as he was then.

MightyB
10-31-2008, 06:41 AM
http://movies.ign.com/articles/925/925584p1.html

Can't wait- Jackson is the Shogun of Harlem!!!

Lucas
10-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Jackson makes this movie IMO

he will bring the 80's flavor back to the shogun of harlem!

GeneChing
10-31-2008, 03:05 PM
Interesting. Very interesting...

RZA & Samuel L. Jackson Team Up For "Last Dragon" Remake (http://www.sohh.com/2008/10/rza_samuel_l_jackson_team.html)
Written by Cyrus Langhorne
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:30:38

Blockbuster actor Samuel L. Jackson has signed on to star in an upcoming remake of the 1985 martial arts-based film The Last Dragon.

The flick follows a black amateur martial arts student named "Leroy" throughout New York City to become the greatest fighter alive

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Jackson will portray the role of "Sho'nuff" known as the "Shogun of Harlem" and for his ****y catchphrases like "Am I the baddest mofo lowdown around this town?"

"I'm a huge fan of the original," Jackson told the Hollywood Reporter. "And I look forward to bringing Sho'Nuff into the 21st century."

Kerry Gordy - whose father, the late founder of Motown, Berry Gordy, produced the original - will take on his same role in the remake.

"We're thrilled to be working with Kerry Gordy as he continues his father's legacy," Columbia president Doug Belgrad said. "[He] will capture everything that people love about the original while also bringing a fresh edge to the remake."

Also helping out with the project as a co-producer will be Wu-Tang Clan's RZA and Dallas Jackson who will be responsible for writing the screenplay. RZA has worked with Jackson before, composing the score for his animated series "Afro Samurai."

No word on who will be directing or playing the lead role of Leroy as of press time

doug maverick
11-03-2008, 08:43 AM
to hear from taimak the original bruce leroy on this and he finally came through read what he posted on a myspace bulletin:

Good morning everyone, don't forget to vote!

I woke up this morning to ask for everyone's support.

Just to give you a little back story...
I spent the last five years or so working to get a sequel to The Last Dragon made. I hired two professional writers to work with me on my idea of a sequel and we wrote a full length script, it took a year to complete. I believe it was something that would really entertain you and a story that had integrity, connecting the new story to the first film.

I wanted Julius Carry III (Shonuff) to come back, we had meetings with Columbia/Sony who owned the rights to the film.

We had our first meeting 5 years ago, before Julius pasted away.

So ofcourse when I woke up in the morning and went to read my emails. You the fans emails let me know about Kerry Gordy (Berry Gordy's son), RZA (Wu Tang Clan) and John Davis (Davis Entertainment) announce that they signed Samuel L. Jackson to star in a remake of The Last Dragon I was taken aback. Ofcourse I was disappointed.
darn!:)

I don't believe in hatin so I'm reaching out to everyone that will support me and see what we can do to persuade the producers of the remake to recognize me in some way, and have me be a part of this.

I'd like to be a part of a film that brings The Last Dragon to movie goers in a way that reaches out to big audiences.

All these years the original that I starred in was never given the attention from the media. Now that the remake will have star value, it's promised to get that kind of attention, so I'd like to be a part of it.

I love all my fans and have been true to all of you, the best I could.

I'll be posting this message daily in order to reach everyone.

I'll post and email a way to contact the casting department (if you want to search contact info on them yourself, you can).

If you want to see me be a part of this please feel free to let them know.

Make sure to keep it positive, they're in the early stages of casting.

Godbless you all!
Taimak

TenTigers
11-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I hope it works. What people fail to realize is that "The Last Dragon" totally sucked. Which is why it became such a cult movie,especially among Martial Artists.
It was so bad, it was good. The funny parts were funny, but the parts that were more serious, were so embarassing, that it was like watching Alfalfa sing.
It will always be a favorite of mine, and I find myself always quoting it, but remember, it bombed at the box office. A remake, unless it has great writers, will bomb worse, only because of the dissapointment factor it will have with the fans, and probably not make much in rental afterward.
Being a fan, I have my fingers crossed, and so far, Samuel L. Jackson is an excellent choice for Mr. Nuff. Who is going to play Bruce LeRoy?

Oh yeah, Taimak should definately make a cameo. Maybe as LeRoy's mom.

doug maverick
11-03-2008, 11:37 AM
well actually it was made for like 10 million or something like that and made 25mil at the box office thats a hit jack. not a bomb, don't know what constitutes as a hit in your eyes but in the eyes of filmmaking you do more then twice your budget thats a resounding smash hit, especially since it wasn't released in to many theaters. as for the movie being so bad it was good yup thats exactly how i would describe it. and thats something you can't do on purpose, and nobody has failed to realise it everyone knows it. people are just excited that a cult film is getting remade has a freaking huge star behind it(sam jackson is either the highest or second highest grossing star of all time its between him and will smith fallowed by harrison ford) i think taimak (who actually still looks the same at 47 years old)should have some type of inolvement in the film as a nod to the original.

TenTigers
11-04-2008, 12:29 PM
hmm, ok, I remember hearing it bombed, but 25 mill is definatley hit figures.
I stand corrected.

I love when the guys from the originals make appearances in remakes. In the remake of Tarzan, Cheetah plays his dad.

ok, maybe not,

sanjuro_ronin
11-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Jim Kelly's cameo in Undercover Brother,

GeneChing
11-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Last I heard, he was working with Madonna and Gwen Stefani. I checked out his website (http://www.taimak.tv/) to see if there's been more....

GeneChing
11-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Check out our latest e-zine submission, RZA on Iron Fist, the Last Dragon and Barack Obama (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=795) by Gene Ching. It's an exclusive interview, and there's more to come. ;)

iron_silk
11-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the article Gene,

So does this mean RZA has constant contact with Tai Mak...through their kung fu connection.

So how come Tai Mak was surprised?

GeneChing
11-20-2008, 11:49 AM
RZA takes private lessons. Any celeb of his statue takes privates. So I'm skeptical that he's at Yanming's school that much in person. I got the sense that they just crossed paths as disciple brothers do.

Heck, I have disciple brothers that I haven't seen for decades. I probably have a few that I haven't met yet.

iron_silk
11-20-2008, 04:22 PM
RZA takes private lessons. Any celeb of his statue takes privates. So I'm skeptical that he's at Yanming's school that much in person. I got the sense that they just crossed paths as disciple brothers do.

Heck, I have disciple brothers that I haven't seen for decades. I probably have a few that I haven't met yet.

Yeah that totally makes sense.

I do hope Tai Mak plays a big part in the movie. Maybe as the master in this case?

But for sure if it takes itself seriously then it may be missing the point.

How can they compete with the campiness of the 80's?

doug maverick
11-21-2008, 05:25 AM
well all the old asian master type actors are dead, so maybe he can, unless they get anthony wong which would be awesome, guy is a tai shing pek kwar adept but idk if he's ever even been in a kung fu movie, except for house of fury.

TenTigers
11-21-2008, 10:49 AM
yes, but there are a whole slew of former young Asian actors.
Alex Leong, James Lew, Jeff Imada, etc

doug maverick
11-21-2008, 11:03 AM
but would love to see anthony wong doing some kung fu on screen house of fury was not enough.

golgo
11-21-2008, 11:12 AM
This was by far my favorite movie as a kid. I used to watch it every day after school. I am going to be the first in line when this hits the screen!

Who is the new Vanity???? Suggestions???

doug maverick
11-21-2008, 11:56 AM
bet you dollar for donuts its gonna be beyonce

golgo
11-21-2008, 12:26 PM
bet you dollar for donuts its gonna be beyonce

My wife said the same thing. I bet you're right. Maybe Jay-Z will do the remake of "The Last Dragon" theme song. :(

GeneChing
11-21-2008, 04:55 PM
So I'm wrasslin' with a bit of writer's block and decided to do some websearch on Vanity. Flashback time. I just had to share these vids. I confess - these are closet favs of mine.

Pretty Mess (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fub8EXoMShc)
Nasty Girl (http://www.broadcaster.com/clip/9200)

Here's the kicker - I found this on Wikipedia

Later Life (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_(performer))

She formally gave up her stage name "Vanity" and became a born-again Christian in 1994, the year she almost died from the effects of smoking crack cocaine. According to Matthews, after being rushed to the hospital, doctors said she had 3 days left to live and she was on life support. She told everyone in interviews that Jesus spoke to her during this time and saved her if she promised to give up her Vanity persona. In 1995, Matthews was quoted "When I came to the Lord Jesus Christ, I threw out about 1,000 tapes of mine—every interview, every tape, every video. Everything." (Totally Awesome 80's by Matthew Rettenmund, page 57). In interviews she gave during this period, Matthews expressed embarrassment and shame about her "sinful" life as Vanity—from her crack cocaine addiction to her lifestyle and wardrobe choices. Soon after, she broke off all ties to Hollywood and her former life.

In 1995, after a month-long courtship, Matthews married former football player Anthony Smith (he was a defensive end with the Los Angeles Raiders at the time). They divorced in 1996.

In 1996, Matthews became Director of Public Relations for The Genesis Technology Group.

After needing a kidney transplant in 1997, Matthews decided to fully devote her life and work to evangelism. An evangelist and born-again Christian, she now travels to speak at churches across the United States (and sometimes other countries) and currently resides in Fremont, California.

Due to the detrimental effects on her health stemming from her use of crack cocaine for over a decade during her days as Vanity, Matthews must now perform dialysis at home multiple times a day.

Matthews has scheduled her autobiography, Blame it on Vanity to be released in December 2008. It is written, graphically designed, published and distributed by her. She created a special website for the book: www.blameitonvanity.com
Fremont, CA. That's where our office is. My lord, that lady next to me in the checkout line might be Vanity!!! :eek: It gets crazier - I found her website: www.denisematthews.com. Her ministry address - 39270 Paseo Padre Parkway #214 Fremont, CA 94538 - is so freaking close to our office. I ate lunch near there last Tuesday.

I may just have to read Blame it on Vanity....

doug maverick
11-21-2008, 06:14 PM
So I'm wrasslin' with a bit of writer's block and decided to do some websearch on Vanity. Flashback time. I just had to share these vids. I confess - these are closet favs of mine.

Fremont, CA. That's where our office is. My lord, that lady next to me in the checkout line might be Vanity!!! :eek: It gets crazier - I found her website: www.denisematthews.com. Her ministry address - 39270 Paseo Padre Parkway #214 Fremont, CA 94538 - is so freaking close to our office. I ate lunch near there last Tuesday.

dude you get mega ultra brownie points if u walk in there and ask her about the remake. just get ready for a evangelistic tirade. you know how they feel about dragons.lol

golgo
11-21-2008, 07:23 PM
dude you get mega ultra brownie points if u walk in there and ask her about the remake. just get ready for a evangelistic tirade. you know how they feel about dragons.lol

Actually I heard that in an interview someone asked her if she ever speaks with Taimak. Her response was "Who?"

CLFNole
11-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Anthony Wong is much better at acting than he is at kung fu. Got to hang out with him for a night in 2000, really nice guy and great HK actor.

doug maverick
11-22-2008, 12:31 AM
really? i heard he was amazing tai shing pek kwar stylist so idk. but he is an amazing actor hands down best actor in hk. hands down.

CLFNole
11-22-2008, 08:26 AM
He knows some TSPK primarily the pek kwar stuff as most don't learn the monkey (tai sing) part. If I remember correctly he mainly learns from Chow Keung or maybe Seen Lam Yuk but I don't think he learned from Sifu Chan (Chan Sifu doesn't really teach anymore). Chow Sifu's kung fu is really good as I also have studied a bit with him.

As far as acting goes he is right up there with the best. I also like Leung Kar Fai and Lau Ching Wan.

Jimbo
11-22-2008, 02:40 PM

Back in the '80s I thought Vanity was one of the hottest women. I wasn't aware of her addiction to crack, though I did see a few years ago somewhere on cable (was it VH1??) about Matthews becoming an Evangelist. As hot as I once thought she was, I don't think I'd want to be on the receiving end of an Evangelical tirade, even from her.

GeneChing
11-24-2008, 10:23 AM
After all the times I heard the song Nasty Girl, I owe it to her. Besides, it's in my 'hood, if you could call Fremont a 'hood (it's a 'burb that so wants to be a 'hood). I'm by there at lunch occasionally, so I might as well, but not this week. With the holidays, I'm way too busy. I'll report back to y'all when I do.

doug maverick
12-10-2008, 12:26 AM
i use to go to this site alot, but havent been there so much since i found resources to get updates on hk cinema, but i just passed by at least once a week to see what they got and boom what do i see but a summary of genes interview with rza (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=795).http://www.kungfucinema.com/?p=4085

GeneChing
12-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks for sharing that Doug. I hoped the 'exclusive' would pick up some cross traffic. Hopefully, Kung Fu Cinema's prestige with the industry will make it spread more. Props to KFC - they're a great resource and they credit with a hyperlink!

If you see any more on film sites, please post them here.

doug maverick
12-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Dec 22 2008 12:09 PM EST
RZA Sets His Sights On Rihanna For Remake Of 'The Last Dragon,' Starring Samuel L. Jackson
'That's the one I'm rooting for,' the uber-producer said of 'Umbrella' songstress.

By Shaheem Reid
Views 1,756
Comments 3
Rating 50%
Rate this article

* Thumbs up
* Thumbs down

Add to my Profile
Sign In/Sign Up

Votes
Sign In/Sign Up
Permalink Share Flag
Adult Hate Spam Other
* Print
* ShareThis

If RZA had his way, he'd have Rihanna — for his new film. The Wu-Tang Clan kingpin is co-producing a remake of the 1980s fan favorite "The Last Dragon" with Samuel L. Jackson and told MTV News yesterday he'd like the sexy Barbadian songstress to take on the role of video show host/singer Laura Charles. Popular back-in-the-day vamp Vanity originated the role in the 1985 flick, while Taimak tackled the lead character and her romantic interest, Bruce Leroy (a.k.a. Leroy Green).

"That's the one I'm rooting for," RZA said of Rihanna. "We're keeping that same concept of the girl being in the music business."

RZA explained that several female artists were being looked at for the part, but he thought Rih would be the best choice. He also noted that he and the filmmakers were in the process of finding a new-millennium Bruce Leroy but wouldn't disclose the identities any of the candidates. (Hey, how about Rihanna's pal Chris Brown?)

Late actor Julius Carry, who guest-starred on a myriad of TV shows from the "Jeffersons" to "Moonlighting" to "The Unit" during his almost-30-year career, stole the show in the first "Last Dragon" as Sho'nuff, the Shogun of Harlem. The villain's classic line was "Kiss my Converse!" Sam Jackson has been cast as the hilarious baddy in the remake. (Busta Rhymes played Sho'nuff in his video for 1997's "Dangerous.")

"I'm co-producing and I'll add my martial arts expertise and add my ideas and make a phat film from that cult classic we all loved as kids," RZA explained. "The first draft of the script is in right now. We definitely should be shooting in '09.

"We're gonna make it real classic," the Shaolin general added. "We're not gonna take it back to the '80s. We're gonna try it a few years ahead. Modern times, but a few steps ahead in the future. We got some crazy ideas, but the main thing is still finding that glow. That's still the theme of the film, to find that glow in yourself."

In the original film, black belt Bruce Leroy yearned to reach the highest level of karate training, which involved finding a mythical sensei who could teach him how to find "the glow." Leroy, after getting his butt kicked by Sho'nuff during their finale face-off, learned that "the glow" was in fact his inner strength. He rallied in the fight to knock out the tough Shogun.

Also in the original, Leroy's family was from Harlem and had the first black-owned pizzeria in town. RZA assured, "We still got it [set] in Harlem. But instead of it being a pizzeria, we got it as a Chinese restaurant. We got some elements of the old in there, but we're adding some new elements. One thing I don't think the old movie captured — because they couldn't capture it, [there] wasn't a lot of CGI — was I think some of the action sequences could've been cooler. But this one, we're not lacking that. You will definitely have some crazy action sequences."

RZA and Jackson are becoming very familiar partners. On January 27, RZA is releasing the second soundtrack to the animated TV show "Afro Samurai," titled Afro Samurai: Resurrection. Jackson stars in and executive-produced the animated series.

"He's my man, he's a cool muthaf---a," RZA noted. "Sam loves kung fu movies and exploitation films. I love the same things. I recognize Sam as the big O.G. We as hip-hop artists gotta realize something when we step into other worlds. I'm the master of my world. I'm a bad muthaf---a. I showed and proved that already. I got my footprints clear in the sand. But in Hollywood, I'm the student now. We gotta learn when we're the master and the student."

RZA's next film is Judd Apatow's comedy "Funny People," starring Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen and slated for release in July of next year. RZA plays Chuck, one of Rogen's buddies, who works with him at a grocery store.

i don't think the whole Chinese restaurant thing works. i mean the whole idea was Leroy acted Chinese while his whole family is normal, but if his family owns a black owned Chinese restaurant and he acts Chinese, what the hell can they say? but i do remember there is this soul food and Chinese food restaurant in harlem up on 135 and lenox.

enoajnin
02-17-2010, 04:48 PM
If you were alive in the 80's, you might remember this film from Barry Gordy and the good folks at Motown. Since you have forgotten it, they have decided to remake it. I don't understand. But it will have Samuel Jackson as the villain and Rihanna as the girl with the umbrella.

"Umbrella" chanteuse Rihanna has reportedly nabbed the role as a roundhouse-kicking dominatrix, in the upcoming remake of the 1985 R&B martial arts fantasy The Last Dragon.

Rihanna's character wasn't in the original film, but it's nice to see some star power attached to the project. The Last Dragon is one of those select 1980s movie that indistinguishably oscillates between "awesomely bad" and "awesomely awesome." You seriously cannot tell. You'll laugh at The Last Dragon, but you won't be sure whether you're laughing from ironic amusement or because you have Stendhal Syndrome and have been driven mad by the film's sheer aesthetic profundity.

Anyway, the 1985 film featured "Bruce Leroy," a budding martial artist who searches for the ultimate level of martial arts superiority, a.k.a. "The Glow." His nemesis Sho'nuff, "The Shogun of Harlem" (and Samuel L. Jackson in the remake!), pursues The Glow as well and seeks to best Bruce in battle. Prince's ex-girlfriend Vanity also sings a bunch of songs for no reason, other than the fact that the film was produced by Motown Records founder Berry Gordy.

Lucas
02-17-2010, 04:51 PM
booya: :p ;)

im looking forward to it personally, plus i love SLJ

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52361&highlight=dragon+remake

GeneChing
02-22-2010, 10:56 AM
...which is a tabloid rag. That movie is not X-rated. Who the heck wants to see SLJ in an X-rated flick? Even Lucas will balk at that notion, I'll guess.

Rihanna lands part in X-rated Hollywood movie alongside Samuel L Jackson (http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2010/02/15/rihanna-lands-part-in-x-rated-hollywood-movie-alongside-samuel-l-jackson-115875-22043582/)

By 3am's Danielle Lawler and Clemmie Moodie 15/02/2010

Rihanna has already earned her pop stripes - now she has her sights set on a Hollywood career.

She has just landed a part in an X-rated movie with Samuel L Jackson.

Rihanna, who has signed-up with a top agent at William Morris, will play a dominatrix in The Last Dragon.

Our spy says: "She has landed an incredibly challenging role alongside Samuel L Jackson.

"But it's not a part for the faint-hearted. She will play a super sexy, super kinky dominatrix in martial arts flick The Last Dragon.

"She has been told to research the part - and this could well include a trip to an S&M dungeon." Oo-er.

Shoot, I still haven't paid a call on Denise Matthews...:o

doug maverick
02-22-2010, 07:33 PM
do they realize that there is no X rating? nc 17 is the closest it comes to X. but i doubt this will be rated nc 17....

GeneChing
03-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Read New Life in LAST LIFE (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=888)by Douglas Ferguson.

GeneChing
09-08-2011, 09:29 AM
I did check out Denise Matthew's address a few months ago. It's a P.O. Box.

Real-life gunshots wound kung-fu-flick actor (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/real_life_gunshots_wound_kung_fu_o40HF6s0YObUZIDRk 4r8WL)
By JESSICA SIMEONE and TODD VENEZIA
Last Updated: 7:39 AM, September 8, 2011
Posted: 2:41 AM, September 8, 2011

The streets of Harlem turned more violent than a kung-fu movie late Monday, when an actor from the 1980s cult classic “The Last Dragon” was shot in the stomach by a pal, sources said.

Leo O’Brien, 40, who played Richie Green in the Berry Gordy-produced flick, was blasted three times in front of 255 W. 127th St.just before midnight Monday.

The first two shots from the 9mm handgun hit O’Brien in the stomach, and the third clipped his arm as he grabbed for the gun. Miraculously, he survived.

“At the time, I was walking up the block to the barber get a shave,” O’Brien told The Post from Harlem Hospital. “He just came up and shot me. No words ... Then he started crying and ran.”

“What I imagine is, we had a verbal altercation prior to this, but it wasn’t about anything substantial.”

Suspect Travis Breckenridge, 50, was arrested after people who knew both men from the neighborhood called cops, the actor said.

When cops went to arrest Breckenridge at his home, he tried to throw the gun out of the window but was spotted by officers, police said.

He faces charges including attempted murder and aggravated assault.

O’Brien, who now runs a convenience store and works in music production, had only had a few roles after appearing in the campy 1985 flick. He says he expects to recover from his wounds and one day get back into the movies.

Wounded Martial Arts Musical Star Has "Mutant" Healing Powers (http://gothamist.com/2011/09/07/wounded_martial_arts_musical_star_h.php)

A former star of '80s martial arts musical The Last Dragon was shot in Harlem during the bloody Labor Day, but he's doing just fine now. Actor Leo O'Brien, who played "Richie Green" in that film and has also appeared on Law & Order, was shot three times on Monday by a friend, and he credits his Wolverine-like healing abilities with saving him: "I was in intensive care but just for one day. I'm a fast healer—kind of a mutant...I've been told if this had happened to someone else, they'd be dead," he told the News.

O'Brien, who has given up acting to run other businesses—including a small music studio, a convenience store in Harlem, and a company that sells magazines door to door—doesn't know why his friend Travis Breckenridge shot him at Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd. and W. 127th Street just before noon on Monday.

O'Brien says Breckenridge approached him on the corner and shot him in the abdomen without warning. At first, he thought it was a BB gun: "The second bullet hit me in the stomach," he said. "I knew then it was a real gun. I tried taking the gun from him...The third bullet hit me in the arm."

During the confrontation, Breckenridge "didn't say anything to me. He started crying and ran away. He was my homeboy. Did we have a problem before he shot me? No. I don't know why he shot me." However, O'Brien does think his friend may have been scared of him: "Maybe he thought I would hurt him?"

GeneChing
03-04-2013, 02:36 PM
...maybe it's just for this (same text as the press release but also on his Chocolate Sundaes fb page (https://www.facebook.com/chocolatesundaes)):

This Summer Pookey is offering up his first martial arts action film!!! He's remaking the 80's cult classic "The Last Dragon" with Pookey casting himself as the lead role, "Leroy Green", with Esau McGraw playing his nemesis "Sho'Nuff the Shogun of the Bronx" and Ron G as Leroy's little problem-maker-brother, "Richie Green".

Currently the part of Laura Charles - originally played by Vanity - has yet to be filled. Pookey has cited wanting a fresh face as the reason why they haven't found the leading lady just yet. There are plans to have casting calls in LA and NY in the coming months to find the perfect woman.

During a press conference held Sunday, February 24th for the announcement of the pre-production of the movie, Pookey said this on why he chose "The Last Dragon". "I always felt that I had the glow growing up in Inglewood. Have you seen me play basketball? I was the master. So when they made the original movie, I thought it was loosely based on my life. I didn't even have the writers write lines for me. I'm going to improvise my lines based on life experience."

Esau posed the questions to people doubting his ability to play a convincing Sho'Nuff: "Am I the meanest? Am I the prettiest? Am I the baddest Mo Fo down around this town? Who am I?"

"Sho'Nuff", Pookey answered.

When one reporter for another publication asked Pookey if he felt like he may come off looking like a cornball for playing Leroy, Ron G interrupted, "He ain't no cornball!!! He's my brother, and he's the master."

If he's able to master his karate skills is yet to be seen. Filming begins November 2013…

GeneChing
02-16-2016, 02:12 PM
I did check out Denise Matthew's address a few months ago. It's a P.O. Box. That was such a strange situation (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52361-Last-Dragon-remake&p=897169#post897169), upon reflection.

VANITY PRINCE PROTEGE DIES AT 57 (http://www.tmz.com/2016/02/15/vanity-dies-singer-nasty-girl/)
2/15/2016 4:34 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2016/02/15/0215-denise-matthews-vanity-getty-8.jpg

Vanity, lead singer of the '80s girl group Vanity 6, has died after years of battling kidney failure and, more recently, an abdominal illness.
Vanity, whose real name was Denise Katrina Matthews, passed away in a Fremont, CA hospital on Monday ... according to sources close to her family. A few months ago she set up a GoFundMe page, and said she'd been diagnosed with sclerosing encapsulating peritonitis -- an inflammation of the small intestines.
She also battled crack addiction in the '90s, and after a 1994 OD her kidneys were shot. She had to undergo nearly daily dialysis treatments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQQdA2aat2k

Vanity's biggest hit came in 1982 with "Nasty Girl" ... a song produced by Prince. The group toured with Prince on his 1999 tour, but she quit right after that. She went on to sign a solo record deal with Motown, and starred in movies like "The Last Dragon" and "Action Jackson."
She eventually ditched Hollywood, quit drugs and became a born-again Christian in the mid '90s. She remained active in her local church up until her death. We're told she was in church on Saturday evening and told the congregation she was "ready to go home."
Vanity was 57.

GeneChing
02-16-2016, 02:14 PM
...since this was also on the TMZ site above...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDmspWdGHoQ

GeneChing
02-24-2016, 09:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8-yha81vlI