PDA

View Full Version : Hello Hello!

inic
10-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Been a long time since I've been on here! How's everyone been doing?
I wanted to start pavel training again, which made me think of this forum and Ironfist in particular.
I've been boxing on and off the past two years and hoping to actually start training consistently and start doing ranked matches. Age is against me though, since I'm 27 and haven't even started actual fights yet. Most boxers start there actual matches in the late teens.

But I thought of Pavel training, because I want to increase my strength and explosive power, with minimal weight gain (since boxing has weight classes), which Pavel seems to tailor too.
Thinking of these exercises:
-Weighted pullups and dips
-Squat
-deadlift
-bench

As for me, I'm 3 classes away from a degree in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition. I'll be getting my trainer certification soon. After my B.S., I'll start working towards a master's in nutrition and get my R.D. license. So obviously I know a lot about exercise and anatomy, but I tend to focus more on the internal systems, especially food and its effects.

And for anyone in the new england area, there's the American College of Sports Medicine conference this Nov 13-14 in Providence, RI. Lots of great seminars about exercise physiology and nutrition!

Pork Chop
10-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Welcome back :)
I wouldn't stress out too much about age.
I know guys who started in their forties that managed to become "slick" within the span of a couple years. Another good friend of mine started around 25 and was a 2-time state golden gloves champion within 3 years.
Work hard, ask questions, and don't believe in limitations other folks try to put on you, I'm sure you'll do fine. :)

IronFist
11-03-2008, 05:20 PM
sup.

i'm browsing from my phone now so i'll write a longer reply when i'm back at a computer.

IronFist
11-06-2008, 11:35 AM
But I thought of Pavel training, because I want to increase my strength and explosive power, with minimal weight gain (since boxing has weight classes), which Pavel seems to tailor too.
Thinking of these exercises:
-Weighted pullups and dips
-Squat
-deadlift
-bench

Those are good ones. I might not recommend doing squats and DLs in the same cycle, but I'm sure there are some people who can make it work.

Maybe do one cycle of Squat, Bench, Pullups, and the next cycle of Deadlift and overhead press.

Boxing is awesome. Congrats on that. I recommend you do some kettlebell training, which is awesome, and will help with your power when you're boxing.