PDA

View Full Version : My kung fu brings the boys to the floor, you're dam right its better than yours!

Eddie
11-04-2008, 08:35 AM
I know this rant is pretty old, but I think its time to voice some opinions again.

I would like to think that one of the reasons that anyone would want to do a martial art, is to learn how to defend him self in a dangerous situation. Whatever that may be. Some of us want to learn how to fight, and others want to learn how to kick ass (apparently there is a difference). Whatever your reason, it’s probably all the same.

I’ve also always thought that learning martial arts is a personal thing. Doesn’t matter who your sifu is, if you don’t practice and you don’t keep up with training, you’re not going to be very successful in your quest. Being part of a lineage where the founder was a well known fighter, doesn’t make you better, neither does it make you (or your followers) a better fighter.

Along the line we seem to have lost it completely (or maybe we have never caught it in the first place). We make threads where we discuss whether or not there is still hope for “Traditional” martial arts, and we argue that unless you look like an actor from a badly choreographed 1970’s Shaw Brother film, you are only a glorified kickboxer.

We argue about whether or not DFW’s elephant form is as original as his Sifu’s form, or that the buksing charp choy is much more powerful than the hung sing charpchoy. Occasionally we encourage cross training in BJJ, wrestling, or boxing, just so we look like we have some clue when we talk to others (who appears to know more) about fighting, yet we shun so called ‘traditional’ martial artists (or masters) when they cross train within their own styles. Its crazy!

Now I hear that there are even people who go as far as to disrespect legendary diseased masters. Apparently word is that my Grandmaster, Lee Koon Hung, passed away because of incorrect training methods over the years. Regardless of the medical facts (only those really close would know or care about the truth), why does this matter?! Where is the respect? I want to go as far as to say “WTF??!!!”.

I’ve been on this forum a long time. Nearing a decade (I think its actually been a decade now). There are so many people on this forum whom I respect for various reasons. Some I have met in person, others I have only communicated with via the internet. I think there are many level headed, realistic, martial artists one here, but I also think there are allot of very narrow minded, very deluded people on here too. Guess some really belief their own crap. There are people on here, whom I probably wont like in real life, but I respect their views on MA, just because I realise that they might even know what they are talking about. There are others whom I think I would probably get along with well enough, but yet we might never agree with on any MA related topic. Thing is, Martial Arts is all about experience. Plain and simple.

I’m not really so much bothered about style anymore. I’m passed the point where I really care, I’m impressed by SKILL, and nothing else. Skill takes allot of form, unfortunately, I’m not impressed with mouth skill at all.

What is wrong with us?! I’m really curious.

sanjuro_ronin
11-04-2008, 08:40 AM
MA breed a cult mentality and like cult, WE ARE RIGHT AND EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG !!

Really, its just that simple.

Eddie
11-04-2008, 08:52 AM
you are so right.

I finally got to see First Foot Way the other day.

Funny how true the film really is.

sanjuro_ronin
11-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Indeed, scary eh?
Of course its almost all MA that suffer from this, MMA and BJJ are no exception and can even be worse at times.

sanjuro_ronin
11-04-2008, 08:56 AM
I think the ones that are moderatly exempt are those that cross train, simply because you get exposed to many types of MA and as such, you see the good and bad in all of them.
Hopefully.

CLFNole
11-04-2008, 11:27 AM
No Eddie, sifu was poisoned by a triad cook at a local dim sum restaurant for teaching too many of us gwai lo's.

When will it end?

sanjuro_ronin
11-04-2008, 12:16 PM
no eddie, sifu was poisoned by a triad cook at a local dim sum restaurant for teaching too many of us gwai lo's.

When will it end?

why did you kill my teacher !?!?!?
Wwwhhhyyyyyy !?!?!?!?!?!?
* multiple punches to the abdomen*
:d

TenTigers
11-04-2008, 12:21 PM
No Eddie, sifu was poisoned by a triad cook at a local dim sum restaurant for teaching too many of us gwai lo's.

When will it end?
is that the one near University? something Pearl?

hskwarrior
11-04-2008, 12:34 PM
CLFNOLE,

I thought your sifu died from a heart thing......to hear that he was poisoned by the triad is SHOCKING! :mad: which triad? I'll go speak with them.:D

hskwarrior
11-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Eddie,

the fact if Jew Leong learned it before DFW is of no consequence. He got HIS version, Jew Leong got his. both ARE the elephant........in fact there are numerous versions of the elephant floating around because LAU BUN TAUGHT DIFFERENTLY.

I have part of DFW's elephant on film. I recognized it. is it the same as my sifu's or jew leongs? No. but IS it still the elephant? Yes.

Hung Sing people from fut san have never argued over whose chop choy was better. where did that happen?

sanjuro_ronin
11-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Eddie,

the fact if Jew Leong learned it before DFW is of no consequence. He got HIS version, Jew Leong got his. both ARE the elephant........in fact there are numerous versions of the elephant floating around because LAU BUN TAUGHT DIFFERENTLY.

I have part of DFW's elephant on film. I recognized it. is it the same as my sifu's or jew leongs? No. but IS it still the elephant? Yes.

Hung Sing people from fut san have never argued over whose chop choy was better. where did that happen?

Wrong thread Muffin.

hskwarrior
11-04-2008, 12:44 PM
thanks cupcake :D

Infrazael
11-05-2008, 04:58 AM
Eddie,

Eddie is making generalizations . . . we are nitpicking over the details we perceive as the "truth" yet they don't matter in the larger scheme of things.

I have seen many CLF "fighters" in my life. Most don't fight too well from youtube videos I've seen. I've spoken to people from different branches, I talked to Satori Science a few nights ago and he did tell me that the Buk Sing Charp Choy is different (dare I say better) than the one other branches employ. He will think that and I disagree, from my experience when the sh1t hits the fan everybody fights pretty **** close.

There is so much politics, BS, backstabbing, alliances being made and broken, people taking sides, talking smack behind another's back and hiding behind their keyboard here. It's getting sickening actually. And trust me, I've heard these stuff from nearly everyone on this forum that I've talked to at one time or another. No attacks on people - but everyone gets fawking arrogant and ****y, talk sh1t, at one point or another. Even ME, I have done it before. I try not too but I am all too human.

At the end of the day what the hell are we doing. Arguing back and forth over a fawking keyboard. Frank you love your history. I think it's pointless for you to argue such a thing here, people will hold onto their opinions no matter what. So you're better off just publishing your book if you wanna show people the truth about the Hung Sing branch. Chan Family members are fawking guilty of the "we have the "real" documents, scrolls," our lineage/history/whatnot is the better and more truthful. Then Buk Sing guys come in and claim their system is better at fighting. :D

I don't post much on here, I don't argue with people much. I fawking love CLF to death and I like to fight. It's pretty simple . . . my arrogance and ego that I used to have are beat out of me by my sihings, coaches, and my other kung fu brothers. I hold no unrealistic expectations of my own abilities. There are people out there that will beat my ass down as there are people I can probably f@ck up pretty good. I like to train and spar people . . . so many CMA guys put themselves on a pedestal and think they are MMA/cagefighting material with their crappy gas tanks and twice a week light sparring sessions.

What I'm just getting at is people get too caught up in their little fantasy lands, start clinging onto what little they have, due to issues stemming from perhaps a lack of confidence? Or maybe they are just arrogant motherfawkers. This is all happening on this forum. And it's pretty pathetic and sad.

But what do I know. I'm just a nobody with a bit over 5 years experience.