PDA

View Full Version : new PR's: squat 300 x 5 (no belt), bench 230 x 5 (vids)

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-05-2008, 12:13 AM
300 x 5 squat: (no belt) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD7fCKKRylU

230 x 5 bench: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqbTcPrT5FU

my nephew was filming and just managed to accidentally catch the plates each time at the end of the videos

Toby
11-05-2008, 04:15 AM
Awesome stuff GDA. At what bodyweight?

I arch like that on bench, dunno if as much but I'd have to film it to be sure. Feels like that much though.

Oso
11-05-2008, 05:24 AM
congrats dude.

isn't that much arching really bad for you?

sanjuro_ronin
11-05-2008, 05:52 AM
300 x 5 squat: (no belt) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD7fCKKRylU

230 x 5 bench: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqbTcPrT5FU

my nephew was filming and just managed to accidentally catch the plates each time at the end of the videos

Well done muffin and don't arch so much you *****.
:D

Toby
11-05-2008, 06:14 AM
isn't that much arching really bad for you?It's a powerlifting technique. I've been arching for years. It reduces the distance you have to press and recruits the back more. AFAIK it's not a problem as long as you keep things tight in the back and stomach. Hasn't been for me so far, touch wood. As long as you're tight there isn't really a significant load along the vertical axis of your spine so I can't see how it's going to cause damage. Squat and DL put far more load on the lower back, and GDA's squat form looks good to my amateur eyes, no big arch at all. But yeah, he does have a righteous arch going on while benching. Like I say, mine feels like that but maybe doesn't look like that.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-05-2008, 07:30 AM
thanks guys. body weight is currently around 160.

IronFist
11-06-2008, 11:33 AM
you > me

Arching protects your back. It's like the opposite of the people at the gym who put their feet up on the bench while they are bench pressing. That's dumb for two reasons:

1. It straightens out your back (this is weightlifting, not qigong)

2. You lose stability because your feet aren't on the floor. If you start to fall, you are F'ed.

Dude I'm jealous. I've been to the gym like 4 times in the last two months. I ran into some friends I hadn't seen in a few months the other day and the first thing they BOTH said was "you've lost weight."

Keep up the awesome work!

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-06-2008, 03:16 PM
you > me

Arching protects your back. It's like the opposite of the people at the gym who put their feet up on the bench while they are bench pressing. That's dumb for two reasons:

1. It straightens out your back (this is weightlifting, not qigong)

2. You lose stability because your feet aren't on the floor. If you start to fall, you are F'ed.

Dude I'm jealous. I've been to the gym like 4 times in the last two months. I ran into some friends I hadn't seen in a few months the other day and the first thing they BOTH said was "you've lost weight."

Keep up the awesome work!

thanks man.

whats been keepin ya out of the gym?

Toby
11-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I've been to the gym like 4 times in the last two months. I ran into some friends I hadn't seen in a few months the other day and the first thing they BOTH said was "you've lost weight."My wife used the phrase "puny" to describe me recently, since I'd been doing a lot of surfing in the mornings and not so much weights :D. My MA teacher also said I'd lost weight. Surfing for a couple of hours before breakfast every day -> skin and bones.

Vash
11-07-2008, 05:08 AM
That's some heavy-ass weights. You need to start screaming "lite-wait, yea baybee!" During each effort. Will increase your qi.

IronFist
11-07-2008, 04:08 PM
I'd been doing a lot of surfing in the mornings and not so much weights :D. My MA teacher also said I'd lost weight. Surfing for a couple of hours before breakfast every day -> skin and bones.

I thought you meant "surfing (the internet)" at first. I was like how the hell does that cause you to lose weight (unless you're surfing instead of eating lol)?

Oso
11-10-2008, 07:38 PM
It's a powerlifting technique. I've been arching for years. It reduces the distance you have to press and recruits the back more. AFAIK it's not a problem as long as you keep things tight in the back and stomach. Hasn't been for me so far, touch wood. As long as you're tight there isn't really a significant load along the vertical axis of your spine so I can't see how it's going to cause damage. Squat and DL put far more load on the lower back, and GDA's squat form looks good to my amateur eyes, no big arch at all. But yeah, he does have a righteous arch going on while benching. Like I say, mine feels like that but maybe doesn't look like that.

Check. Thanks.

I have never tried to flatten my back, and I keep my feet on the floor, but I thought I was taught (way back in the 80s in HS) to not let more than a natural curve develop...could be old thoughts though.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-12-2008, 11:46 AM
squat capped out at 310 x 3. i have a vid but its depressing. on saturday i got the tripple like it was nothing. last night was supposed to be for 5 but i barely got the third. i decided to get sick at a very inconvenient time. :(

eh well . . . ill max as soon as i feel better then on to 20 rep squats. a little bummed a i hadnt even donned a belt on the 5x5 yet, but i think my body is telling me its ready for a change.