PDA

View Full Version : The groin !

sanjuro_ronin
11-07-2008, 06:16 AM
Ok, now that I have your attention.

No, groin attacks to NOT give you an advantage, why?
Simple, everyone knows them and everyone uses them.
That said, do they work?

Yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7HDFhIetcI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZF94xrlNFU

sanjuro_ronin
11-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Now, a groin attack is not a fight ender per say, though it can be, you shouldn't but all your eggs into that basket, pardon the pun.

As a stand alone it sucks, as something thrown in the mist of a combo or in a melee, it works fine, same thing as a low line counter.

Of course no one can deny the effectiveness of a good old fashioned groin pummeling.

I recall the first time I learned a groin kick, my teacher said that the kick is not an attack, but a counter and they you should kick to "fracture the pubic bone" not to kick the nads.
Of course the chances of fracture the pubic bone are slim, but the power and penetration of the kick when you kick to to it hat way, rather than just a "kick to the balls" is obvious.
Intent and all that.

One of the worse cases I saw was in a kyokushin match, the groin kick came hard and fast and fracture the other guys cup.
Luckly for him he was wearing one.

I recall the last time I used it when bouncing, I had a guy aginst the wall in the midst of a minor altercation with a group, he seemd under controlled and I gave my attention to my buddy who was restraining the other patron.
My guy clocked me.
I responded by laying into his groin like one lays out carpets.
I probably didn't even need to follow up after the first shot, but I did.
To a count of 4-5 knees.
He crumpled to the floor.
Yeah, that was the last time I did that.

SimonM
11-07-2008, 07:40 AM
I prefer the roundhouse to the knee myself...
But then my distaste for ball-kicking is well known. :cool:

Lucas
11-07-2008, 11:10 AM
i remember a few years ago i was talking to a friend of mine, and she was under the impression that if she ever got into trouble, all she would need to do is kick the guy in the balls and run.

i debated with her for about 10 or 15 minutes that getting kicked in the balls is not likely to actually save her every time, regardless of what countless 'womens defense' classes were to tell her.

she wasnt believing me. so....i told her to kick me in the balls. give me a good square kick in the ol jimmy.

i know....what the hell was i thinking right?

well i stood there and let her give me a nice soccer kick to the nuts.

certainly did not feel good, but immediately after she kicked me i tackled her to the ground and held her down forcefully. 'this is the point where i kill you, rob you or rape you.'

and i didnt even have the aggressive adreanaline that a true attacker would have.

needless to say, my point was made.

sanjuro_ronin
11-07-2008, 12:47 PM
i remember a few years ago i was talking to a friend of mine, and she was under the impression that if she ever got into trouble, all she would need to do is kick the guy in the balls and run.

i debated with her for about 10 or 15 minutes that getting kicked in the balls is not likely to actually save her every time, regardless of what countless 'womens defense' classes were to tell her.

she wasnt believing me. so....i told her to kick me in the balls. give me a good square kick in the ol jimmy.

i know....what the hell was i thinking right?

well i stood there and let her give me a nice soccer kick to the nuts.

certainly did not feel good, but immediately after she kicked me i tackled her to the ground and held her down forcefully. 'this is the point where i kill you, rob you or rape you.'

and i didnt even have the aggressive adreanaline that a true attacker would have.

needless to say, my point was made.

Would you be ok letting a trained MA kick you in the balls?

Lucas
11-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Would you be ok letting a trained MA kick you in the balls?

not at all my friend, not at all.

i was fairly sure i could take a nut shot from some petite chick. but ive been kicked in the nuts not wearing a cup and wearing a cup sparring quite a few times. usually on accident.

but i wouldnt even want a trained MA to kick me with intent, even were i wearing a cup.

im no iron crotch master, i just have tough crotch syndrome when it comes to 5'4 110 lb. blondes ;)

unfortunately most chicks arent trained in any MA. well, in my case i guess that would be fortunate....

taai gihk yahn
11-07-2008, 02:21 PM
I recall the last time I used it when bouncing, I had a guy aginst the wall in the midst of a minor altercation with a group, he seemd under controlled and I gave my attention to my buddy who was restraining the other patron.
My guy clocked me.
I responded by laying into his groin like one lays out carpets.
I probably didn't even need to follow up after the first shot, but I did.
To a count of 4-5 knees.
He crumpled to the floor.
Yeah, that was the last time I did that.

I bet that Elementary School wasn't in a hurry to hire you back as a lunchroom monitor again...

SimonM
11-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Well... maybe not rape. ;)

Lucas
11-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I bet that Elementary School wasn't in a hurry to hire you back as a lunchroom monitor again...

lol, that gave me such a messed up mental image

Lucas
11-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Well... maybe not rape. ;)

lol, true. i guess that would be kind of hard.....or not hard? now im confused

Yum Cha
11-07-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm glad Rohan mentioned the point, about the pubic bone.

Kicks to the groin are not just out to break the eggs in the basket. They can attack the balance point in hips, just above the pubic bone, and where the legs join the torso, as well as the afore mentioned egg scrambler. Inside of the thigh as well.

I definitely consider there are several kinds of groin kicks, and several targets.

I also agree, it's best served up, in the style of the 'no shadow kick' out of nowhere while something else is going on, and something else follows.

Knees, on the other hand, are a bit more straight forward.

As for getting hit in the goolies, there's always the 'calm before the storm', where you intellectually realise you have been hit, but the pain hasn't quite hit you. Likewise, the other guy relaxes a bit because he also realises. That's when you make him pay, or at least that's my habit...

If you collect him a bit, he begins to wonder if you're really hurt, and if your knees don't buckle, you can tough it out.

I been kicked in the wedding tackle more times than I can remember, but the absolute worst was a soccer ball, full on, point blank, right into the meat and two veg.

I was expecting to see blood....

TenTigers
11-07-2008, 05:06 PM
I was kicked in the yarbles enough to raise me off my feet. I snapped, grabbed the guy and slammed him up against the wall.
This was in High School and we were in the hallways between classes, fooling around, rough housing.
He immediately hollared, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! It was an accident!" and my friends pulled me off of him. I realised it was not intentional, calmed down, and then,
then...
the pain set it.
I fell to the floor, and laid in fetal position for about ten minutes.
Class bell rings, kids file into the hallways, I'm still in a heap. They walk around me, step over me,
and a few mutter,"F'kin Kellerman, what the hell's he done now?"

Well, the good thing is I know my adreneline and rage kick in on cue, and I can take the shot.
I think I'm shooting blanks. Not sure if that's good or bad.:eek:

LSWCTN1
11-07-2008, 05:40 PM
I was kicked in the yarbles enough to raise me off my feet. I snapped, grabbed the guy and slammed him up against the wall.
This was in High School and we were in the hallways between classes, fooling around, rough housing.
He immediately hollared, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! It was an accident!" and my friends pulled me off of him. I realised it was not intentional, calmed down, and then,
then...
the pain set it.
I fell to the floor, and laid in fetal position for about ten minutes.
Class bell rings, kids file into the hallways, I'm still in a heap. They walk around me, step over me,
and a few mutter,"F'kin Kellerman, what the hell's he done now?"

Well, the good thing is I know my adreneline and rage kick in on cue, and I can take the shot.
I think I'm shooting blanks. Not sure if that's good or bad.:eek:

i presume this thread was thought up due to my little spat with the great god-of-war knifefighter?

in all honesty the post above just proves exactly what i was saying - they only work once there is a break in the fighting, this is also exactly what i saw in the videos bar maybe one or two.

when two people are going at it hammer and tongs, and one gets kicked in the family jewels, IME they wont feel it until there is a break in the fighting. even if it is only a small break. however once that break has happened - yes they do often feel it!

MightyB
11-07-2008, 09:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEtk_WENKZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx3AgFJ-E8E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbwPm-BgkvE&feature=related

TaichiMantis
11-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Doesn't seem to work on me...but it does work for me ;)

sanjuro_ronin
11-10-2008, 06:10 AM

Actually I got promoted to Hall duty !!

sanjuro_ronin
11-10-2008, 06:13 AM
i presume this thread was thought up due to my little spat with the great god-of-war knifefighter?

in all honesty the post above just proves exactly what i was saying - they only work once there is a break in the fighting, this is also exactly what i saw in the videos bar maybe one or two.

when two people are going at it hammer and tongs, and one gets kicked in the family jewels, IME they wont feel it until there is a break in the fighting. even if it is only a small break. however once that break has happened - yes they do often feel it!

Yeah, it was because of what you too were "discussing".
Couldn't help it.
Fact is, kicking the groin is like every other MA technqiue, it works better one some than others, its not a stand alone technique and everyone is "looking for it".
All that can be said for an overhand right too, but people don't say its "overrated" nor to they think of it as a "magic solution" to all the problems.