PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Chan vs Jet Li

Richie
01-04-2002, 05:57 AM
I know this is a little gay, but I think Jackie's kung fu fights are a LOT better than Jet's. I mean Jackie's 70's and early 80's movies. When Jackie did a style it looked like that style. It may have been made up, but it was still good. His snake style looked like a snake style and etc.

Jet is very GOOD, but his movie kung fu seems a little generic looking. Only in some movies there was a difference.

I think the one thing everyone can agree on is that Jackie's drunken style is better.

scotty1
01-04-2002, 06:57 AM
I don't think anybody cares :)

Gay....:D

red5angel
01-04-2002, 06:59 AM
Just because I am a fan of both the actors......

Jackies kung fu training is more combat oriented, Jet Lis' training is sport, Wushu. He does it more for the athleticism then the fighting.

LEGEND
01-04-2002, 07:24 AM
Jackie Chan has seem to lost a step in doing some of the stuff he did in the 80's...prob. due to age and INJURIES( my god he's nuts )...Jet Li most impressive US pic so far is still Lethal Weapon 4. I love it when he does stuff without the WIREs.

Chang Style Novice
01-04-2002, 07:36 AM
Isn't Jackie pushing 50? I think it's extraordinary that a guy his age, and with his medical history is even able to walk, much less still perform the kind of physical feats that he does in his movies. Sure, he's too gimpy to do all his own stunts anymore, but he gave us 20 years of incomprable wonder. I've totally lost count of the times I've rewound my vcr repeatedly muttering 'how the fazouk did he do that?' He also, by dint of constant study and pushing of his own limits, became one of the best fight coordinators and savviest directors action cinema has ever seen. That and the fact that he does make an attempt to make the fight scenes seem not only plausible (no wires) but realistic (ow, my hand hurts!) give him the edge as far as I'm concerned.

He is doubtless the #1 kungfu movie guy ever. Sorry Jet. Sorry Bruce. Sorry Bolo. Sorry Gordon. etc. I love you all, but Jackie - criminy, you saw him go at it with Benny Urquidez those two times, right? What can compete with that?

Yung Apprentice
01-04-2002, 07:36 AM
What are the styles that either of the two have studied?

Chang Style Novice
01-04-2002, 07:44 AM
I'm going from memory here, so it's probably a little faulty.

Jackie got his first training in Peking Opera School, and learned all the theatrical stuff that looks like kung fu but really isn't. Later, after he had great flexibility, speed, and conditioning they began to teach him real martial arts of various chinese flavors, and he settled on an emphasizing Emei. Still later, he got pretty significantly good at CLF, WC, and Northern Mantis.

Jet got his first training at Peking Wushu Academy, and learned all the acrobatic stuff that looks like kung fu but really isn't. Later, after he had great flexibility, speed, and conditioning he took it upon himself to seek out masters of internal arts, especially the '3 sisters' and educate himself about them.

Kristoffer
01-04-2002, 09:25 AM
jET Li cant fight his way outta a paperbag. He sux. but I enjoy some of his movies.
My sifu once said that, Jackie is fun.. But hes CRAP. :D Still smile when thinking on that hehe..

Shadowboxer
01-04-2002, 02:15 PM
Chang style...what movies did Benny "The Jet" appear in? Also, my roomate swears that Bruce in his prime could take Jackie in his prime. I laugh every time I hear that, but I'd like to hear other opinions.Thanks.

Chang Style Novice
01-04-2002, 02:27 PM
Shadowboxer -

Mr. Urquidez was Jackie's final opponent in "Wheels on Meals" and then a year or so later in "Dragons Forever." I prefer the first fight, but the second is a better movie all around. He's been in other pictures, too, but I don't know of any that aren't a complete ripoff. You can look him up at http://IMDB.com if you're really interested. Naturally these are all choreographed fights and I'm certain don't show what he's really capable of. I don't know where to find ring footage - I'm sure someone will chime in.

As for Jackie and Bruce - no idea. Bruce undoubtedly was more interested in being the toughest fighter possible and worked very hard at it. But Jackie is tough as nails and scared of nothing. (I"m imagining that your hypothetical brawl is between the two of them in their respective peak conditions.)

Shadowboxer
01-04-2002, 02:50 PM
Chang...Thanks for the info. Yea, the hypo would be at their peaks. I think Jackie could also take Jet Li.

Chang Style Novice
01-04-2002, 03:08 PM
De Na Da

(that's the new system I'm developing thats based exclusively on joint locks, punching, and being polite in spanish)

Kristoffer
01-04-2002, 03:12 PM
Bruce would whoop both of `em!
I hate his movies and Im not a fan of him,, but as I understand he was more of a martial artist than a movie star. ( atleast in the beginning)

Jackie and Jet have trained too be ENTERTEINERs. U do the math.

ugh.. cant believe I'm arguing about this :D :D

Chang Style Novice
01-04-2002, 03:16 PM
me either, Kristoffer:cool:

That said, of course Jackie is an entertainer. But I've seen his unenhanced speed in a dozen movies, and the kind of punishment he not only can take but apparently looks forward to in a dozen credit-crawl blooper reels. He's never been the guy who wants to bust your head wide open on general principles, but he's far from a tomato can.

Anyway, I've already explained what I think everyone's strengths are. There's no way we'll ever know the truth, and probably no way we could ever have known, since Jackie reached his peak years after Bruce's death.

wushu chik
01-04-2002, 03:17 PM
Kristoffer....

Actually, Bruce wouldn't...wanna know why?? BECAUSE HE'S DEAD! That's why....lets leave him there, shall we.

Jackie and Jet are both good, but different, they both have had their moments, and they both have not...so there's no way to actually compare...especially since they have both had way different training!!

~Wen~

red5angel
01-04-2002, 03:25 PM
Wushu Chik I disagree, Jet Li has even said that he does martial arts for the athleticism and doesnt consider himself a "hard" martial artist by any means, he wants to make movies. Jackie does want to make movies as well but he has train in several fighting styles. They are both good at what they do, but not a match if they were to be put in the ring. not that either would, they both seem to be genuinely nice guys, and not interested in showing off so much as just showing.

Silumkid
01-04-2002, 11:08 PM
Please, people...if you wanna blah-de-blah about who could beat who, you are ignoring someone who even Jackie says was better: Sammo Hung. From Jackie's book - "Yuen Biao was the best gymnast of us, but Sammo Hung was the best fighter."

That being said, this type of thread still makes about as much sense as shoving my hand into a running blender.

jackiech
01-06-2002, 06:15 AM
Yes, Jackie says was better: Sammo Hung. From Jackie's book, but after Sammo got fatter and after Jackie came his masters "son" he came better than Sammo

Qi dup
01-06-2002, 02:58 PM
I think it's an interesting discusion and I also think that jet li would win. Maybe all the facts point to jackie but I just think Jet Li is a cool guy. But niether of them could beat Mel Gibson or Danny Glover!:)

iwingchun
11-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Jackie Chan vs Jet Li. Who do you believe be the winner if someone close them in a room??!

I found a web page with a lot of movies of Jackie Chan filmography! Take a look here http://www.wing-chun.ws/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83-jackie-chan-&Itemid=54

iwingchun
11-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I believe that the winner will be Jet Li because he is faster!!

sanjuro_ronin
11-07-2008, 10:37 AM
My schlong could beat them both into submission.

doug maverick
11-07-2008, 11:25 AM
i think people who ask those questions should be band for stupidity.

Zenshiite
11-07-2008, 10:24 PM
i think people who ask those questions should be band for stupidity.

doug, it's hilarious that you said this because you misspelled "banned."

:cool:

doug maverick
11-08-2008, 09:21 AM
hahahaha so i did

GeneChing
11-11-2008, 02:05 PM
but i say jet would pe (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42599)e on jackie. ;)

Zenshiite
11-11-2008, 07:23 PM
but i say jet would pee on jackie. ;)

:p hahaha!