PDA

View Full Version : Ho Ngau Choy Li Fut

once ronin
11-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Anyone teaching his version in the U.S?

hskwarrior
11-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Actually yes. Chiu siu kai is in alameda, maybe if sifu troy dunwood checks this out he can add some insight. However, chiu siu kai is the one who co-wrote the wooden dummy book with ho ngau on the cover.

CLFNole
11-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Chiu Siu Kei's main sifu was To Hon Jeung, not sure if he followed Ho Ngau. JDHowland who posts on this site is from Ho Ngau's lineage if I recall and teaches in Alaska.

hskwarrior
11-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Per his own words to me directly, "i was a student of Ho Ngau".......but i can't verify that.

CLFNole
11-07-2008, 06:33 PM
I am not saying he didn't study with him (he probably would have been quite old) but his main sifu I have always been told was To Hon Jeung.

hskwarrior
11-07-2008, 08:26 PM
thats cool.

CLFNole
11-07-2008, 10:33 PM
One thing about Sifu Chiu, although he would be considered Chan Family, he attends many hung sing and buk sing events.

hskwarrior
11-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Part of Chiu Siu Kai's lineage has Yuen Hai in it, he personally told me that his lineage has "some" Hung Sing clf through Yuen Hai.

hskwarrior
11-07-2008, 11:27 PM
I have a few of his old books

jdhowland
11-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Cheuk Tse, Ho Ngau's representative in Hawaii is still around but not actively teaching. Tse originally taught Ho Ngau's CLF as a separate course of study, but later combined the CLF with his Hop Ga and Tibetan White Crane classes. Only a few of his students that I know of are still training. Steven Nacua may still be teaching in New York State. Pat Ling now teaches Taiji Praying Mantis on Oahu but still has the knowledge of our version of Master Ho's teaching.

Our style is a pared down version of Chan Family CLF comprising only two training sets, five fighting sets, the ching jong wooden man set and a few weapons. (Most of our weapons training came from White Crane.) I think Pat still has one of Ho Ngau's wooden man posts in his basement. San Francisco's Ngan Cho Keung is of a closely related lineage and probably has a lot more CLF material than we do.

Be well.

jd