PDA

View Full Version : Long Fist Praying Mantis?

breabre
10-30-2000, 08:40 PM
I saw an add today for someone claiming to teach Shorin KungFu, a combination of Shorin Ryu, Long Fist Praying Mantis and JiuJitsu. I tried to find info on Long Fist Praying Mantis but haven't been successful. Has anyone here heard of this style or had any experience with it?
Just wondering if this thing was made up or not.

Thanks
BB

LongfistMantis
10-31-2000, 06:05 AM
Quite real. I'm sure there are many variations of what you might call "Long Fist Mantis". I am instructed in both Long Fist Kung Fu and Seven Star Praying Mantis, and often to abbrieviate (ever wonder why thats such a long word?) we say Longfist/Mantis Kung Fu. However, I believe there are others who actually study a synthesized version of the two. Anyone else care to add?

Longfist Mantis /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ericsepishii
10-31-2000, 04:51 PM
Long Fist Mantis is indeed one of the "true" styles of Northern Mantis that is available, however it is a bit rare and hard to find.
It is still available in the PRC.

From what I have heard / been told:
Long Fist Mantis is a Mantis style that was formed a long time ago, by a Long Fist Master that had a very close and good MA friend that was a 7 * Mantis player/master. After the two traded some techniques and a set or two, the Long Fist Master sort of put his own spin to the Mantis stuff he had gotten and came up with what is now known as Long Fist Mantis.

However, from what you've described, this
Shorin Kung Fu school / teacher who has combined
what seems to be Japanese arts with "Long Fist Mantis" sounds a like a fraud.

Hua Lin Laoshi
10-31-2000, 10:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't 'Shorin' refer to Shaolin in Japanese? Shorin Kung Fu would then be a Japanese version of Shaolin Kung Fu.

Dreamer
11-04-2000, 12:28 AM
There is a style called Shaolin Long Fist Kung Fu.
Yang Jwing Ming wrote a book on it.

<font color = "#000033"> [b]D[b]reamer</font>