PDA

View Full Version : Green Mantis

Fu Manchu
10-31-2000, 02:39 PM
Sifu is very modern in his thinking. He loves classical ballet and would like us to move as gracefully as ballet dancers.

For those of you wear tradition Northern Chinese uniforms, does Sifu also conduct Mandarin classes?

Robinf
10-31-2000, 04:19 PM
Ours is cantonese. He doesn't have a language class, but much of the class is taught using cantonese terms.

11-19-2000, 11:01 AM
Although I was trained in several schools using Cantonese words, all our current books and curriculums are being revised to Mandarin.

The transition has been awkward for us. Other Shifu are sometimes offended by the Mandarin words and titles if they are still using Cantonese, so often we correspond or communicate in Cantonese to be respectful to schools still using that dialect.

obiwan
11-20-2000, 06:34 AM
Um guys,

I'm assuming that you are posting in the Northern Mantis section because you learn modern mantis.

Why are your teachers teaching in Cantonese or more distrubingly, getting offended at Mandarin since Cantonese is a SOUTHERN dialect of Chinese, and Mandarin a Northern one.

Doesnt it make sense to use a northern language for teaching a northern art? It doesnt really matter but they definately should not be offended by it.

??????

(I speak a bit of both by the way, that's my reference of information.)

The Force will be with you...always

8stepsifu
11-20-2000, 07:07 PM
Ballet loving, green tights wearing folks that practice a Northen style, yet are offended by it's dialect. I pushed the BS button a long time ago with the green tights, but this is rediculous. Is your style perhaps southern mantis? Did it evolve on the mean streets of Hait-Ashbury? This is all so strange.

8Step Sifu

Fu Manchu
11-21-2000, 02:24 PM
Guys

I think at some point in time, someone got their wires crossed. We're definately not offended by languages. We certainly would welcome any one who speaks Cantonese, Mandrin or even Eskimokian

In fact we're a broad minded bunch of guys sharing a wide range of interest. We consider ourselves to be.... shall we say progressive

8stepsifu
11-22-2000, 03:03 AM
Last time I was up there, they spoke Siberian Upik. TGh Hugh Hguth

8Step Sifu

obiwan
11-23-2000, 05:28 AM
Fu Manchu,

It says in your earlier email that you guys use Cantonese so as not to offend other shifu's.

But if this is posting in the Northern Mantis category, I'm assuming that they are also Northern kung fu teachers, and hence would be most accustomed to using mandarin instead of cantonese, so I fail to see why they might be offended by using the term in the official dialect unless they are sifu's from the south.

You'll have to clarify.

thanx

The Force will be with you...always

Fu Manchu
11-28-2000, 03:52 PM
Obiwan,

That post was by Louhan, not me (Fu Manchu). I can't imagine why people would get hung up about language. I always thought that Kung Fu was all about hurting people physically when diplomatic negotiations break down.

Personally I can see no relevance in diputing about the language in which the instructions are being communicated. So long as you can hurt people when called upon to do so - then your Kung Fu is good.

I guess the dispute could be due to tradition. eg. Louhan's sifu might have been told to teach in cantonese by his former sifu and the former sifu before him. It would also stand to reason that when the current sifu's student becomes a sifu himself, the class would be taught in cantonese.

What traditions do you follow in your class?