PDA

View Full Version : The 17 Styles that comprise Northern Mantis

rmata2000
11-01-2000, 08:49 AM
Hi All,

I have read in several articles that Northern Mantis, as developed by founder Wong Long, is a composite of 17 different kung fu systems.

Just for curiosity sake, does anyone know the names or makeup of these 17 systems?

theghola
11-01-2000, 09:09 AM
Since I'm a relative novice in terms of Praying Mantis kungfu and its history/lineage, these are just guesses. Feel free to yell at me and mock me if I'm wrong (although it would hurt my feelings, hehe).
I read somewhere that Wong Long was a master of several styles before he created the (Northern) Praying Mantis system... The only one that sticks out in my mind has "Sword" something or other. Wasn't PM later integrated into the Shaolin Temple system? If that's the case, I'm sure that there is an influence from there. I vaguely recall something about using "Monkey footwork" as well... LOL as you can see I'm not much help, hehe.

rmata2000
11-01-2000, 05:19 PM
LOL. Hey it's cool and don't worry, I ain't mad at ya. Hee.

In the whole scheme of things it doesn't matter much anyways, but bein' an Aquarian, I was just curious.

Thx for your warm and humerous reply.

Papieboni
11-01-2000, 08:57 PM
Long Fist of Tai Cho
Tung Pi style of Han Tung
Twisting Locking techniques of Tzen Un
Short Fist of Un Yian
Short Range sriking of Ma Chi
Monkey Style of Sun Tan
Body Leaning of Wang Tien
Flying Face Palm of of Mian She
Knocking Hands of Chin Siang
Rigid Collapsing Throwing strokes of Wai Tek
Hook, Embrace and Pluck Techniques of Liu Sing
Rolling Sneaking Technique of Tain Fang
Grabbing Throwing of Ian Ching
Mandarin Duck Kick of Lin Chung
Seven Continuous Fist of Meng Sen
Belly Cutting Punch of Chun Lian
Pole Plucking of Yang Kun
Praying Mantis of Wang Lang

rmata2000
11-02-2000, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the info Mantis Kicks. Seems like you've certainly done your research.

Pardon my ignorance (and at the risk of seeming anal...too late), aside from the Monkey Style, the remaining 16 styles seem more like a series of techniques than a kung fu style, like Eagle Claw for example. I guess because I've seen eagle claw type of grabbing moves in some of the mantis forms, I concluded that perhaps Eagle Claw may have been one of the 17 systems that Wong Long added to mantis.

Shaolin Master
11-02-2000, 03:32 AM
Eagle Claw - Ching Wu Men
Lo Guang Yu Lineage.
17 Best techniques/principles which were the most respected in each master's system.
The 18 Techniques (17 Including PM) were the foundation of Shaolin System by Fu Yu Hui Ju at Songshan Shaolin Temple back in Hey Days!
All in ALl though PM has become a system on its own with its own flavour not necessarily containing the Flavour (:)) of the other systems (the 17 were consolidated into PM not carried as they were)..

Regards

Shi Chan Long