PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know a good place to buy PC parts?

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I am looking for a reliable supplier for an AMD processor for my laptop.

I need part number TMSMT40BQX5LD to go into a socket 754 mother board.

I am using that part number, because it is the lowest power rating/highest temp tolerance due to the fact that my laptop has some inherent cooling issues.

Anyone know a good place to find one? specifically a trust worthy vendor that will over night me one so I am not down for too long?

Thanks!!

RD

Lucas
11-12-2008, 04:39 PM
im all about Frys (http://www.frys.com/)

they have a local store and its freaking huge, with better deals than places like best buy and stuff.

Lucas
11-12-2008, 04:42 PM
i dont know if they will have what you are looking for, but they are warehouse style.

1bad65
11-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Try this:

http://www.newegg.com/

Oso
11-12-2008, 07:21 PM
I always shop www.tigerdirect.com

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Unfortunety, not any of those sources has the model number I need.

Here is the processor I am looking for. Notice the low voltage, and high heat tolerance.

http://www.processor-portal.com/AMD_Turion_64_MT_series_processor_Lancaster/tree2f-subsection--2098-/14.4.2.0/

There are several others on that page, of varying speeds, but the specific part# I want is the fastest of them.

CLFLPstudent
11-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Why? So in a few weeks/months you can post a question about another virus your windows box got? Go here (www.apple.com) instead!

lol

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-12-2008, 10:21 PM
You know, everyone says Macs/Apples are so great, and PC suck really bad, so I decided to follow the crowd and I bought one.

It sits unused collecting dust because NONE of my company software runs on the damm thing.

They supposedly have some sort of compatibility software to force PC programs to run on them, but it tooooootally sux, and my Futures/Commodity trading software will not run reliably on it AT ALL. Infact, the Tec support told me flat out the software will not work on a mac, no matter what kind of utility they "Claim" to have for making it do so. After too many long frustrating attempts, he has gotten to the point where he will not even try to help a mac user to get it to work. It's a long drawn out exercise in total futility that NON ONE has the time or patience for.

The Mac is the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. It's only good for word processing, and internet cruising. As far as my *Real* business needs, it's completely useless.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-12-2008, 10:27 PM
In addition to that, I had a friend who repairs computers for a living, he hates working on Macs because parts are more difficult to get, they are much harder to physically dissembled and work on and by far, more difficult to trouble shoot.

In Addition to THAT, he tells me they break, don't work, and get viruses just as much as PC's do. The ONLY reason they "Appear" to have less problems, is there just aren't many people using them, so they don't show up in the repair shops as much.

If you look at the market share they have, it's the same percentage as the repair stats (%Macs in the shop, to PC's), so shut the F'n hell up about your stupid love toy already.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-12-2008, 10:35 PM
In addition to THAT addition, a new processor will cost me around $100.00

An ENTIRE NEW computer will be $1000.00 (Mac or otherwise)

AND I have no way to get any of my software to run on the worthless thing, and no way to transfer all my data, any of my files, company records or anything that is critical to running my business. Even if I could, Macs are such crap that NONE of it would run on one anyway! (and what few things would run, wouldn't run smoothly)

It would be a huge unsurmountable headache just so idiots like you can be all mentally blank and spout "Get a Mac, it just works" over and over like the mindless drones and brainwashed fools you all are.

Now, if you are not going to be of help, and instead spout mindless brain washed Mac propaganda at me, that is so beyond useless to solving my problem, get the hell off the thread and stop making an ass of yourself...all you are doing is really ****ing me off, because you think you have God's damed gift to the computer world, and all a Mac really offers is one huge god dammed headache after another, and endless vertually impossible problems to over come (none of which I have the time, or hours and hours and hours to solve (and thats not even saying that most cannot be solved anyway), when my PC has a SIMPLE, CHEAP and easy solution.

No go F yourself.

CLFLPstudent
11-12-2008, 10:58 PM
No go F yourself.

Oh geeze, I must have hurt your feelings. I am sorry RD.

I am sorry you need new PC parts every few months to keep your machine running smoothly. I am sorry your software developer makes you suffer through using Windows. I am sorry you get viruses that wipe out your hard drive and you lose important files. I am sorry your computer repair guy knows nothing about Mac's.

Meanwhile, my trusty POS mac has been running 3 years without 1 single crash. Not 1. And my laptop - which is an Intel based Mac Book? Even better! Got it 6 months ago, not a single problem with the OS, not a single application crash ( and I run Pro Tools on it with loads of Plug Ins).

Again, I am sorry that I made you curse at me. Go ahead, get another AMD chip.

lol

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Oh,and one more thing, you wanna test how (Q vally girl voice) "Totally awesome" (/Vally Girl voice) your Mac is when it comes to viruses? Go install a P2P client, search on Evanessence and download all thier songs. The record companies have a 2 part Trojan that they have embedded in several songs, and then released onto the P2P networks....lets see how well your precious "Mac" survives THAT!!

If you are lazy, i am more than willing to e-mail you copies of the songs in question.

Have fun restoring your hard drive after the Trojan wipes it out...Macs just don''t have the recovery tools PC's do.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Oh geeze, I must have hurt your feelings. I am sorry RD.

I am sorry you need new PC parts every few months to keep your machine running smoothly. I am sorry your software developer makes you suffer through using Windows. I am sorry you get viruses that wipe out your hard drive and you lose important files. I am sorry your computer repair guy knows nothing about Mac's.

Meanwhile, my trusty POS mac has been running 3 years without 1 single crash. Not 1. And my laptop - which is an Intel based Mac Book? Even better! Got it 6 months ago, not a single problem with the OS, not a single application crash ( and I run Pro Tools on it with loads of Plug Ins).

Again, I am sorry that I made you curse at me. Go ahead, get another AMD chip.

lol

-David

Reply]
It's nice to know your machines runs well for you, and does what you need it to. However, it would never work for my applications, so advising me to take on an extensive burden just so you cna feel good about your toy will not help me.

It gets really f'n annoying when I need some advice on a SIMPLE problem, and Mac users solution is to S#it can my entire system and go with a platform that is completely useless to me (thus creating thousands of problems, when I only have one).

Also, maybe YOU have not had many mac problems, but I know plenty of people who have, most are problems PC users also deal with, yet they still totally denie they even have them, even when I have been in the room when it happens. (hence why I say Mac users are brainwashed). It's like talking to people in Cults.

Two examples off the top of my head, one freind of mine actually sat there talking about how much greater macs are then PC's while at the same time struggling to clean a virus out of her system that had crippled her computer.

My sister has had macs as long as i have had PC's, and she has also had her share of problems, that in no way proves the supposed "Superiority" of a Mac. If anything, all I have seen are people with Macs having all the same issues with thier computers as everyone else. The mantra "It just works" is complete propaganda and a total lie that does not pan out in my experience.

I have, on the other hand, seen plenty of PC users who have bought PC's and had them for many, many years with out a single issue. My ex wife for instance still has a windows 98 platform. The ONLY reason she got her new laptop, is because she is now using it for work related projects and that requires Windows 2000 or higher to run what she needs. She to, has not had a single problem with it. I don't know too many people still using with Macs from 1997

My daughter has had 2 PC, the *home made* one was problematic, the laptop her mom bought her is a stable system with no issues at all.

MY Pc's, despite occasional issues that pop up, which are generally simple fixes and most often caused by minor incompatibilities in the way *I* built them, generally perform very well. I can have 34 widows open at once, run movies (including Quicktime), charts, write estimates, listen to Itunes and what not, and my desktop hardly even slows down. I have yet to see a Mac perform that well, under that extreme of a load. Infact, I have seen macs almost lock up with half the number of open windows.

My laptop is made by Averatec, and THAT is the ultimate source of all it's problems. Avaratec is crap. The whole thing is built out of the cheapest components, NOT what matches well. The reason I am am looking for the specific part number, is NOT because that is what the laptop came with, but because it has the specs that my laptop needs. Averatec built it with a processor that runs way to hot in a platform with a substandard cooling system. That has NOTHING to do with the PC platform, and everything to do with Averatec poorly optioning out thier system.

So to sum it up EVERYONE I know that has had Macs, has had problems with them, but only about half the people I know that are running Pc's have had problems.

Of the PC people who have had problems, they were all like me and built thier own systems (or bought an Averatc product). Anyone I know that bought a decent brand of PC and used it right out of the box has had a stable, reliable system from day one. PC for the most part, literally do "Just Work"

PS.
My friend is very skilled, and knows his way around macs very well (he sees plenty of them in his repair business). If he says they are much more complicated to work on, then they are just that.

CLFLPstudent
11-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Oh,and one more thing, you wanna test how (Q vally girl voice) "Totally awesome" (/Vally Girl voice) your Mac is when it comes to viruses? Go install a P2P client, search on Evanessence and download all thier songs. The record companies have a 2 part Trojan that they have embedded in several songs, and then released onto the P2P networks....lets see how well your precious "Mac" survives THAT!!

If you are lazy, i am more than willing to e-mail you copies of the songs in question.

Have fun restoring your hard drive after the Trojan wipes it out...Macs just don''t have the recovery tools PC's do.

So, you're saying if I do something illegal, I will get a virus that destroys my hard drive? Even if I have a mac?
Well, then - no thank you. Don't need that!

-David

CLFLPstudent
11-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Reply]
It's nice to know your machines runs well for you, and does what you need it to. However, it would never work for my applications, so advising me to take on an extensive burden just so you cna feel good about your toy will not help me.

It was a joke going back to the last 'conversation' we had about computers. Calm down.

Reply]It gets really f'n annoying when I need some advice on a SIMPLE problem, and Mac users solution is to S#it can my entire system and go with a platform that is completely useless to me (thus creating thousands of problems, when I only have one).

Also, maybe YOU have not had many mac problems, but I know plenty of people who have, most are problemes PC users also deal with, yet they still denie they even have them.

There are mac problems, but the majority of people who use mac's can work around them or there is a fix fairly quick. Not nearly as many BSOD's though. Not nearly on a mac. If your 'repairman' friend says otherwise he's either lying or his clients are imbeciles.

Reply]Two examples off the top of my head, one freind of mine actually sat there talking about how much greater macs are then PC while at the same time struggling to clean a virus out of her system that had crippled her computer.

There are plenty of Mac anti-virus software out there. Didn't say you shouldn't use them, just that I don't and I never had a problem. I bet you use AV software, but you still come here every bunch of months with a virus question.

Reply]My sister has had macs as long as i have had PC's, and she has also had her share of problems that in no way proves the supposed "superiority" of a Mac. If anything, all I have seen are people with Mac having all the same issues with thier computers as everyone else.

See above answer. Plus, if you are doing stuff you shouldn't be doing don't be surprised if your computer catches a cold

Reply]I have, on the other hand, seen plenty of PC users who have bought PC's and had them for many, many years with out a single issue. My ex wife for instance still has a windows 95 platform. The ONLY reason she got her new laptop, is bacuse she is not using it for work related porjects and that requires Windows 2000 or higher to run what she needs. She to, has not had a single problem with it.

So to sum it up EVERYONE I know that has had Macs has had problems with them, but only about half the people running Pc's have had.

Of the PC people who have had problems, they were all like me and built thier own systems. Anyone I know that bought a PC and used it right out of the box has had a stable, reliable system from day one.

Why then do you need to upgrade the Processor, the video card, the sound card et al ad nauseum to make you box run smoothly?

No worries mate, didn't mean to get your feathers all ruffled.

-David

ps here you go with the AMD chip (http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS262&resnum=0&q=AMD%20TMSMT40BQX5LD%20socket%20754&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf) but it looks to be in the $200-$300 range

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Why then do you need to upgrade the Processor, the video card, the sound card et al ad nauseum to make you box run smoothly?

Reply]
because I was poor when I built the one I have now, and couldn't afford the one i should have bought in the first place. Remember, my desktop was build by scavenging through my friends scrap box. So over time, when I get some extra money, I like to put better parts in it. you generally don't need to do that with an out of the box unit.

Other people have special needs, for instance, if they are big gammers. So they buy the best system they can find, and then put an upgraded video card. Other times, new technology comes out, and the PC owner just "Wants" to upgrade to the newest, baddest component. They are like audio freaks in that respect. Some people just prefer to customize everything that they own (Cars, sound systems, TV Computers etc...)

Some people are perfectly happy buying off the rack clothing, others prefer to have everything custom tailored. PC's generally give you both options. I think PC owners tend to attract custom freaks more than Macs do. Macs seem to attract people who like pretty colors and catchy marketing slogans.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-13-2008, 12:28 AM
I looked at the link you posted. I have been finding that as well.

I may have to go with a lessor Processor. My system has a 1.8 Gig Processor in it now. I don't want to go any slower than that.

I did find a TMSMT32BQX4LD for $159.00 that will work. It's the same speed as I currently have, but a lower wattage (will generate less heat), and the heat tolerance is very high at 95 degrees celcius.

The other option I may have, is to go with a slower CPU, but one that has a larger cache. It should give similar performance, and run even cooler.

I also "Could" just put a sempron in it. Those run hot though, but are only like $30.00-$40.00 I am sure I could get another year or so out of one, but then I'd be doing the same mismatching Averatec did originally (PS, don't EVER buy an Avaretec product!!!).

The original replacement is $99.00, but I want one the runs cooler.

David Jamieson
11-13-2008, 07:35 AM
I always go with tigerdirect.ca or tigerdirect.com i guess for you folks in america.

They generally don't have much of a problem sourcing a part if you need it.

alternately, why not go straight to source RD?
http://www.amd.com/us-en/

they will tell you exactly where to get that part.

p.s MACs are crap. lol You are 100% correct about them being application handicapped because they are. They have a miserable market share and misleading marketing backing them up. Most apple products with one or two exceptions, like pro-tools are utter crap on an industry standard scale.

Also, i have a e370d ibm laptop. It still runs awesome! that system is from 1996! lol Still hums along while my G2 and G3 collect dust because they can't even run pshop as well as my compaq amd 3500+ 64 single core. lol.

can't get enough mac bashing frankly. :p

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-13-2008, 08:20 AM
compaq amd 3500+ 64 single core. lol.

Reply]
That is a really nice CPU. It runs a bit hot for my application due to the fact that Averatec seems to have included a cooling system as an after thought, but it is the CPU i'd be using If I didn't have factory design flaws to compensate for.

If I have time today, I may drill a few more holes in the case, in a select location to see if that improves my cooling problem. If it does, then i will just get a hotter processor. Although, I am a bit doubt full I can get it to improve enough.

Unfortunetly the ideal CPU for my application is darn near $300.00.

If I wasn't broke though, I'd order one today, and also find a much larger, cooler running Hard Drive. I have an 80 Gig now, that is just about filled. I can't add memory though, so I am stuck with the 1 gig I have, due to the second chip installs right where I need air flow to the CPU. Adding memory will just block off badly needed air flow, because of where it installs on the board.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-13-2008, 08:28 AM
alternately, why not go straight to source RD?
http://www.amd.com/us-en/

Reply]
The CPU I need is discontinued. I have to search and find someone who has one as old stock. It seems every other Laptop manufacturer knows how to make laptops with good cooling systems, so CPU's with extreme performance standards are not needed too often.

xcakid
11-13-2008, 09:15 AM
I always shop www.tigerdirect.com

I 2nd that!!! I order so much crap from them I have their credit card. My last order was last week. I picked up a laptop.

Mas Judt
11-13-2008, 10:17 AM
I've worked extensively with both PC's and Macs over the past twenty years. Macs are superior in almost every way, although it is true some industry-specific software is not available on them.

PC's have improved a LOT and are almost as good, but still are not as good - too many glitches, hitches, viruses and quality issues. And an operating system that mimics OSX but is unstable and slow.

That said, My Toshiba laptop running Umbuntu is fantastic, and every bit as good in it's way as the Mac. The real problem with the PC's is the challenge MicroSoft has creating an OS that MUST work on a wide variety of machines of varying quality. They have a much harder job of it because the OS is not married to the hardware.

David Jamieson
11-13-2008, 10:29 AM
some? come on mas. try "most".

Mac are nazis when it comes to who they allow to develop for them whereas pc is almost as open source albeit not as fast as linux type set ups.

linux is noce, but it is commandline stuff and who wants to go back to dos?

vista is a forced adoption and most shops that run pcs do so on xp or even win2k pro boxes.
It's important to not mix "pc" with "microsoft"

mac shops are almost exclusively for people using adobe products or exclusive apple products such as quicktime or pro-tools and for actual business systems, macs are useless.

so if you are into multimedia exclusively, then a mac is ok, but it is NOT superior to a PC in any way shape or form and hasn't been since the advent of teh pentium processor. If this was 1995, I'd be inclined to somewhat agree with you, but it's 2008 and for half the price you can get twice the system out of a pc that you'll ever get from a mac.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-13-2008, 12:05 PM
I've worked extensively with both PC's and Macs over the past twenty years. Macs are superior in almost every way, although it is true some industry-specific software is not available on them.

Reply]
I think you say that because you are in a MAC heavy industry. I have seen plenty of PC based systems that run just fine, with no problems ever, and are fast as can be.

PC's have improved a LOT and are almost as good, but still are not as good - too many glitches, hitches, viruses and quality issues. And an operating system that mimics OSX but is unstable and slow.

Reply]
The last time you had a PC issue (that I know of) was when you were watching a video on "My" Averatec (don't ever buy one!). If I remember you were complaining that you didn't like the way the video player scrolled through videos, and commented that PC's suck, went on about how you don't understand why it wouldn't scroll through, why anyone would design a media viewer that didn't scroll the video the way you like, and if it was a mac you could do what you want.

I kept my mouth shut at that point (because I thought you were just being another brainwashed mac lover), but in reality, the problem was your fault. You could just as easily opened the video in Quick time and had the feature you were complaining about not having. You literally failed to click on the correct icon when you opened the video. You once again proved mac users collectively cannot think, or handle more than one option when presented with several choices.

brothernumber9
11-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Bad news for you RD. The 1.8GHz is the fastes of all the 25W mobile processors AMD has made. To go faster you will have to go to 31W or 35W. A replacement for what you have but at a lower power is the best you will be able to get.

naja
11-13-2008, 02:46 PM
I am looking for a reliable supplier for an AMD processor for my laptop.

I need part number TMSMT40BQX5LD to go into a socket 754 mother board.

I am using that part number, because it is the lowest power rating/highest temp tolerance due to the fact that my laptop has some inherent cooling issues.

Anyone know a good place to find one? specifically a trust worthy vendor that will over night me one so I am not down for too long?

Thanks!!

RD

http://www.google.com/products?q=TMSMT40BQX5LD+&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en

naja
11-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Why? So in a few weeks/months you can post a question about another virus your windows box got? Go here (www.apple.com) instead!

lol

-David

I work in IT, networking and security specifically. MACs can get viruses, they can be hacked easier that Vista, and Malware has already popped up in the last year for them specifically.

EDIT: Here's a link to the hack...

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/62378.html

"The MacBook Air went down within minutes while the Fujitsu running Windows Vista survived into the last day before succumbing.

Charlie Miller, Jake Honoroff and Mark Daniel from Independent Security Evaluators compromised the MacBook Air by sending it to a Web site on which they had installed an exploit that took advantage of a new zero-day vulnerability in the Safari Web browser."

Oso
11-13-2008, 03:43 PM
instead of starting another computer thread:

i'm shopping for a laptop. my desktop is 5 years old and i keep getting a crash and getting told (by MS) that I need to upgrade my bios...well, the newest BIOS for my MB is 2003..., which I already had. it's getting to the point that it's doing it multiple times a week.

so...first question:

Vista: 32 or 64 bit?

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Bad news for you RD. The 1.8GHz is the fastes of all the 25W mobile processors AMD has made. To go faster you will have to go to 31W or 35W. A replacement for what you have but at a lower power is the best you will be able to get.

Reply]
The TMSMT40BQX5LD or Turion MT 40 is 2.2 ghz @25W. There are some still out there. They are just really pricey.

In other news, I removed my CPU, re coated it with the best thermal grease I could find, drilled 4 new holes in the bottom of the case and so far I have had it going all day with all my programs running, including 2 fire fox windows one with 7 tabs open, and the other 22 tabs open, and it has not crashed yet!!

I am hoping maybe this is the fix for now. I will try had find a TMSMT40BQX5LD Turion MT 40 if I ever have any extra money laying around.

After speaking to my friend I decided to try the Zalmen Thermo grease in the hopes that a large part of the problem was in the heat transfer to the heat sink. The Zalmen has a much higher transfer rate than the cheap stuff from the factory assembly.

The 4 holes drilled in the bottom force air over the other side of the heat sink instead of just one side, so I think that made a big difference too.

OSO, go with the 64, remove Vista and load in windows XP.

Mas Judt
11-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Ah, the ignorance of the PC user. .WMV movies do not open in quicktime. They just don't. You might imagine that they do, like you imagine the PC stands up to the Mac, but it does not make it so. Just like on the open floor, I know what I'm doing bucky.

Sorry, I threw the Kool Aid out a long time ago... had the whole department of PC's AND the whole department of Macs - I'll take the Macs any day - little to no downtime or problems ... versus constant troubles.

And David - my linux OS is a 3-D graphical OS built in Umbuntu - it knocks the socks off of most OS's out there - although it has some limitations because 1 guy wrote it versus a team. No DOS here.

naja
11-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Ah, the ignorance of the PC user. ..... I know what I'm doing bucky..

If you research Apple's security history you'll find that they have dropped the ball even more than microsoft has. They don't get the press MS does, but they drop the ball just as badly. The initial hacking of the iphone brought this out to allot of people with your mindset, though people with your mindset usually tend to ignore the logic of people who study/work these issues for a living.

And David - my linux OS is a 3-D graphical OS built in Umbuntu - it knocks the socks off of most OS's out there - although it has some limitations because 1 guy wrote it versus a team. No DOS here.

And "UMBUNTU"??? I think you mean UBUNTU, and it isn't "written" by one person. Might want to do some research on that.....And "knocks the socks off"?? I've been running ubuntu for a couple years. I even run it at work for specialized boxes, but red hat/fedora does have it beat on a few uses, though I vastly prefer ubuntu due to it's debian roots.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Ah, the ignorance of the PC user. .WMV movies do not open in quicktime. They just don't. You might imagine that they do, like you imagine the PC stands up to the Mac, but it does not make it so. Just like on the open floor, I know what I'm doing bucky.

Reply]
LOL!! Ok, you got me there!!!

How do you watch .WMV's on a Mac then?

naja
11-13-2008, 07:22 PM

Reply]
LOL!! Ok, you got me there!!!

How do you watch .WMV's on a Mac then?

VLC would probably play them. If it doesn't, you could use QuickTime and Flip4Mac

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-13-2008, 07:37 PM
VLC would probably play them. If it doesn't, you could use QuickTime and Flip4Mac

Reply]
Didn't he just say quicktime WON'T play them?

I just tried it. Quicktime wouldn't work for a .WMV file. It just gave me a blank screen.

naja
11-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Reply]
Didn't he just say quicktime WON'T play them?

I just tried it. Quicktime wouldn't work for a .WMV file. It just gave me a blank screen.

You tried quicktime or quicktime + flip4mac like I said?

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Just Quicktime

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-13-2008, 08:49 PM
I don't see an option to run Flip4mac on the PC though.

CLFLPstudent
11-13-2008, 10:01 PM
yeah, flip4mac will run .wmv files

http://www.flip4mac.com/

I never said that Mac's couldn't get viruses, and there are AV software options for the mac.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/151971/mac_security_focus_antivirus.html here a recent article tells of a supposedly nasty virus that someone wrote to affect OS X users in 2006, but to date 49 mac's have been affected.

They credit the small market share. So guess what? Please don't buy macs!

-David

Mas Judt
11-14-2008, 06:03 AM
And "UMBUNTU"??? I think you mean UBUNTU, and it isn't "written" by one person. Might want to do some research on that.....And "knocks the socks off"?? I've been running ubuntu for a couple years. I even run it at work for specialized boxes, but red hat/fedora does have it beat on a few uses, though I vastly prefer ubuntu due to it's debian roots.

This is a great example of why I find the martial arts boards so funny, people say stuff that is correct from thier point of view, but is totally f@cking stupid. My Ubuntu based OS is built in Ubuntu - but contains proprietary software creating the OS I described. Something you would get if read the description of the OS - as Ubuntu don't do that stuff by itself.

RD - you can view .wmv movies the following ways on a Mac:

With .wmv player - sucks you can't scroll

with flipformac converting it for view on Quicktime (not loaded on the machine we were using.) - still does not run as good as quicktime.

,wmv files are ****ty.

As far as Apple having goofs - good lord yes, but NOTHING on the scale of MicroSofts goofs and fundamental challenges of having to be all things to all people. All of my criticisms of the PC platform are based on practically 20 years of managing groups of people on both platforms. Mac vs. PC? No comparison. Mac wins hands down - if you want to do something besides fix PC's.

David Jamieson
11-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Im always down with a mac vs pc argument.

mas, you are talking out your ass like a dope smoking sandal wearing red eyed mac user. lol :p

macs haven't had any thing over a pc for 10 years and people still cling to that fairy tail about macs. Nonsense, they are limited and you can only use software that mac wants you to use. You can't have access to over 90% of what's out there for use.

total crap is what a mac is. It's a very expensive digital photo editing, family movie making, music making internet surfing email machine and that's it.

I think there might be a couple of games you can play on one and no business compatible software you can run really. I mean, no one can take mac format files seriously and everything must be converted for pc or back to mac and don't even get started about how crappy they are to integrate into a network. You need so many pairs of gloves on and in between crap that it actually can compromise a network to have stupid mac boxes sitting on them.

Pain in the ass. a royal pain in teh ass.

ultimately, bottom line on Macs. they have a dismal market share because most everyone that knows anything about IT or comupting in general would never recommend mac to be implemented into business systems outside of arthouse project labs. period. lol

btw, when i said "dos" i was referring to command line operations" which are similar to how dos functions and are always part of linux systems OS or otherwise in some shape or form which is why linux is used as server side stuff mainly.

Most web servers are linux setups, mostly because it's free, but also because it's fast and its stable and it plays nice with windows. the same cannot be said for macs. :)

naja
11-14-2008, 06:46 AM
This is a great example of why I find the martial arts boards so funny, people say stuff that is correct from thier point of view, but is totally f@cking stupid. My Ubuntu based OS is built in Ubuntu - but contains proprietary software creating the OS I described. Something you would get if read the description of the OS - as Ubuntu don't do that stuff by itself.

Yes, it will. I run proprietary software and drivers on my ubuntu machines too.

As far as Apple having goofs - good lord yes, but NOTHING on the scale of MicroSofts goofs and fundamental challenges of having to be all things to all people. All of my criticisms of the PC platform are based on practically 20 years of managing groups of people on both platforms. Mac vs. PC? No comparison. Mac wins hands down - if you want to do something besides fix PC's.

You're a frackin idiot. MAC doesn't have 1/3 the business software available that MS does. Same issue with any linux distro.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 10:04 AM
You're a frackin idiot. MAC doesn't have 1/3 the business software available that MS does. Same issue with any linux distro

Reply]
I have the same problem.

For example Macs WILL NOT RUN all of these critical programs I use in my home business.

1 ADP Penpro estimating systems

2. ADP Shoplink

3.Mitchell estimating system.

4 CCC Pathways

5 Apptrak management system

6 IC Image file transfer system.

7 Scene access file transfer system

8 Truck est

9 NADA vehicle value calculator

10. Edoan - file transfer software.

11 OST Charting & futures trading platform

In the case of point # 10, Macs will not run MOST industry trading platforms across the board. This means that the majority of the financial, investment and banking industry cannot use Macs at all.

All the "File transfer" programs I listed, are used to communicate my files to the client I work for. Without them, I have no business. It doesn't matter how nice my pictures of wrecked cars are, or ow well I write the estimates on them. If I can't send them to the client using thier platform I may have well just gone fishing for the day.

I have been in this business for 2 years now, and I have yet to see a file transfer system that works on a mac. I have been in shop offices for5 years now, and i have yet to see a Mac in the office, or ever even heard of one running typical bodyshop software.

Mac lovers go on, and on, and on about how great Macs are, and I am sure they are wonderful, if you are in the marketing biz or some sort of art related persuite like that, but they are absolutely useless (but pretty) boxes of junk for everyone else.

The break just as much as PC's. From what i hear from guys who actually have to try and make them work, they get viruses just as much, they are harder to trouble shoot and work on, and when they do get hit with a virus, the success rate of recovering from the damage is very low compared to a PC.

CLFLPstudent
11-14-2008, 10:45 AM
The break just as much as PC's. From what i hear from guys who actually have to try and make them work, they get viruses just as much, they are harder to trouble shoot and work on, and when they do get hit with a virus, the success rate of recovering from the damage is very low compared to a PC.

I don't know anything about the app's you mentioned, so you are probably right that there is no mac alternative. But to say 'from what I hear' and then spout nonsense is irresponsible.

49 mac's total got hit with the BIG virus over the past 2 years. 49.

Read here (http://www.pcworld.com/article/151971/mac_security_focus_antivirus.html)

Your PC tech just doesn't know about mac's, is unwilling to learn, and doesn't want to have to. That's why he(she?) is telling you this.

But hey - keep on keeping on with your PC's. Defrag that drive! Run that spyware software! Watch out for those email attachments! Constantly upgrade ! ( that one kills me, you complain about the cost of mac's, yet you go out every few weeks to add a new video card, a new sound card, a couple of new hard drives, a new faster processor. lol) don't really care....:D

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't know anything about the app's you mentioned, so you are probably right that there is no mac alternative. But to say 'from what I hear' and then spout nonsense is irresponsible.

Read here (http://www.pcworld.com/article/151971/mac_security_focus_antivirus.html)

Your PC tech just doesn't know about mac's, is unwilling to learn, and doesn't want to have to. That's why he(she?) is telling you this.

But hey - keep on keeping on with your PC's. Defrag that drive! Run that spyware software! Watch out for those email attachments! Constantly upgrade ! ( that one kills me, you complain about the cost of mac's, yet you go out every few weeks to add a new video card, a new sound card, a couple of new hard drives, a new faster processor. lol) don't really care....:D

-David

Reply]
How did they collect the data about only 49 macs getting a virus? My freind has had several that he cleaned out this last year, I doubt he reported the situation to anyone. If he did 3, are you expecting me to believe some little mom and pop computer business alone got almost 7 % of all macs that have been hit by viruses, nation wide? That is statistically impossible! Heck, even doing ONE, on a city wide, let alone a nation wide scale, out of 49 is statistically impossible!!

Also, he's not the only tech guy I have spoken to that has the same issues with Macs. When every industry pro I have discussed this with, like all the tech guys who remotely installed and/or set up all those above listed programs in my laptop, say the SAME thing about macs, one has to at least consider that the guys who deal with them all the time might actually know what they are talking about.

When I have 10 professional tech guys saying the SAME negative things about Macs, and ONE Mas Judt (who is just a user, not a tech pro) saying the opposite, then I have to consider his testimony the exception that proves the rule.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 11:52 AM
http://db.tidbits.com/article/9534 :D

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 12:05 PM
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-virus/macintosh-faq/

naja
11-14-2008, 12:48 PM

-David

I don't need to talk to a "tech guy" I work in networking/security. I'm willing to bet you didn't read the article I linked to earlier on this thread. Mac's safari browser got hacked, while the vista machine had to be hacked via adobe flash.

The link you posted talks allot about malware "By buying a Mac, you've already taken the first and best step toward keeping malware off your computer. "

As your market share increases, and more lazy users get macs, you will see an increase. Vistas UAC is going to cause malware and viruses to decline rapidly in the PC sector as well.

CLFLPstudent
11-14-2008, 01:07 PM
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-virus/macintosh-faq/

Didn't read the whole thing - but it was published in 2000. It looks like they are talking about OS 9 and below. It's like me saying "Windows 3.1 get's loads of viruses". But I understand that you don't know much about macs except that which your PC Tech guys tell you....

I don't need to talk to a "tech guy" I work in networking/security. I'm willing to bet you didn't read the article I linked to earlier on this thread. Mac's safari browser got hacked, while the vista machine had to be hacked via adobe flash.

The link you posted talks allot about malware "By buying a Mac, you've already taken the first and best step toward keeping malware off your computer. "

As your market share increases, and more lazy users get macs, you will see an increase. Vistas UAC is going to cause malware and viruses to decline rapidly in the PC sector as well.

Are we talking about hacking or Viruses? On my newer MacBook I don't use Safari, I use Firefox.

The article talks about a variation of a virus that was written 24 years ago, updated for OS X.

Twenty-four years after Elk Cloner, Leap-A emerged. Disguised as an image file, Leap-A modified files on an infected Mac and, when iChat was opened, would send infected files to the victim's iChat buddies.

Many people thought at the time that Leap-A signaled the end of OS X's bug-free idyll. But Leap-A managed to infect a grand total of 49 Macs, and in the two years since, the Mac virus floodgates have yet to open: A few proof-of-concept viruses have cropped up, but almost none have been observed in the wild. Question is, why?

Security expert Bruce Schneier credits the Mac's small market share: "If you're looking for the masses of naive users, Windows is where to go," he says. Adam O'Donnell, director of emerging technologies at Cloudmark, agrees. He's applied game theory to the question and concluded that producing Mac malware won't be economically viable until the Mac's market share hits 16 percent (it's now under 9 percent). O'Donnell says, "There is no economic benefit to investing the time in compromising a Mac when you can compromise 10 to 20 times more systems for the same level of effort by going after PCs."

He even say's that the main reason is because of the small market share. I said good - you guys stay with your PC's, leave Apples market share low!

Whatever - RD comes on here every few months with computer questions or virus questions and I always tell him to get a mac. His software won't run on a mac. Fine, be done with it! But don't think that it's Apple snobbery when someone point's out you wouldn't get nearly as many viruses or hack attempt if you run OS X on a mac.

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Didn't read the whole thing - but it was published in 2000. It looks like they are talking about OS 9 and below. It's like me saying "Windows 3.1 get's loads of viruses". But I understand that you don't know much about macs except that which your PC Tech guys tell you....

Are we talking about hacking or Viruses? On my newer MacBook I don't use Safari, I use Firefox.

The article talks about a variation of a virus that was written 24 years ago, updated for OS X.

He even say's that the main reason is because of the small market share. I said good - you guys stay with your PC's, leave Apples market share low!

Whatever - RD comes on here every few months with computer questions or virus questions and I always tell him to get a mac. His software won't run on a mac. Fine, be done with it! But don't think that it's Apple snobbery when someone point's out you wouldn't get nearly as many viruses or hack attempt if you run OS X on a mac.

-David

Reply]
Yes, I know. And I have told you a million times that MACS do not, cannot run ANY of the software that my business needs. And every time I have some little thing that comes up, some idiot comes on here and tries to sell me on a mac (usually you).

Well, I got news for you, MACS SUCK, and they can't run common software found universally through out my industry, or most other industries either. They really are NOT more reliable than a properly built PC (especially since most don't even work in the first place), and the people who constantly spout Mac propaganda really annoy the hell out of me because they go on and on and on as if they have some sort of magic solution to my computing problems when some SIMPLE basic forethought would clearly show they are clueless morons.

HOW MANY F'N TIMES DO i *HAVE* TO SAY *MACS DON'T RUN ANY OF MY SOFTWARE**!!!! if they are so dammed great, why is it they can't run 98% of the software out there?

I have ALSO told you specifically that I know techs WHO DO WORK ON MACS!!! Yet you insist they don't know what they are saying because you *Think* they are only PC techs, despite having macs in their shop all the time. In addition, OTHERS have come on this thread and reported the SAME finding I have, and you still insist on the greatness of your *Toy*.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 03:39 PM
The biggest issue I have, is almost ALL MAC people I have ever met are like religious zealots who mindlessly spout thier propaganda EVEN AFTER BEING SHOWN THEY COMPLETELY WRONG!!! over, and over again.

For example, people who routinely tell me I should get a MAC every time I have a minor problem and I post a question about it, despite the countless times I have explained, adnauseum, that macs just don't have the capabilities I need, in any way, shape or form. They are vastly deficient machines, that won't even run my Charting software right....yet Mac zealots just keep mindlessly hammering "Get a Mac, Get a Mac, Get a Mac" Like brainwashed drones.

It's F'n annoying, just shut up already!!!

CLFLPstudent
11-14-2008, 03:46 PM
lol. OK RD

I won't tell you to get a mac anymore. But I can't promise I won't snicker when I read your next virus post.....:p

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Ok, and I won't promiss not to think your a brainwashed Mac drone for snickering :)

taai gihk yahn
11-14-2008, 06:24 PM
lol. OK RD

I won't tell you to get a mac anymore. But I can't promise I won't snicker when I read your next virus post.....:p

-David

oh - now I see why RD flipped his nut on the other thread - I guess I am just the latest in a long line of mindless Mac drones advancing our religious zealotry (and now I have to go plug in and get further instructions from Mother Board)

taai gihk yahn
11-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Exactly! (Mother Board told me to say that)

naja
11-14-2008, 06:38 PM
instead of starting another computer thread:

i'm shopping for a laptop. my desktop is 5 years old and i keep getting a crash and getting told (by MS) that I need to upgrade my bios...well, the newest BIOS for my MB is 2003..., which I already had. it's getting to the point that it's doing it multiple times a week.

so...first question:

Vista: 32 or 64 bit?

Oso, sorry didn't see this in the storm of other comments. Go with 32 unless you know for a fact that all your software will work with 64.

naja
11-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Exactly! (Mother Board told me to say that)

Quoting MAS Judt:
"As far as Apple having goofs - good lord yes, but NOTHING on the scale of MicroSofts goofs and fundamental challenges of having to be all things to all people. All of my criticisms of the PC platform are based on practically 20 years of managing groups of people on both platforms. Mac vs. PC? No comparison. Mac wins hands down - if you want to do something besides fix PC's."

Of course you lame brains!! MACs are used by virutally NO ONE when compared to the amount of MS systems on the planet. OF COURSE MS system are going to have higher percentage of failure. Why would anyone write malware and viruses for an OS that is only used by 2% of the world?? They want to target the bigger platform, but this attitude by MAC folks is what's getting these mac viruses written. They are written to prove the point that any OS can get hacked, it only takes time and determination.