PDA

View Full Version : Who's at fault?

Oso
11-12-2008, 07:22 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/11/12/english.or.kid.falls.from.cliffs.katu

sanjuro_ronin
11-13-2008, 05:24 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/11/12/english.or.kid.falls.from.cliffs.katu

It was an accident.
That said, I always thought that, when there is danger of falling from a dangerous height that better fencing is always a good idea.

Oso
11-13-2008, 07:27 AM
yea, i basically agree. I wonder at what signs were posted nearby.

the fence doesn't meet any safety standards that I'm aware of but around here we have lots of overlooks on the blue ridge parkway w/ no fencing at all and steep drops of many 10's of feet...call me silly but steep drops mean 'be careful around them'

but, still, if it had been my 3 year old, they would not have been that close to the edge of anything with an obviously inadequate fence w/o a hand in an adults hand.

what got me the most was the parents accusal of the park system w/o any acceptance of culpability on their own part. i think this points to many things including the obvious fact that a lawyer got to them and said they could make some money and the sheeples insistance that somebody else take care of them.

it was an accident, but avoidable, glad the little girl didn't take the fall and thank Zod for the monkey brain that automatically grabs **** when it's scared.

SPJ
11-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Being a parent, we always look out for our little ones.

wooshi.

I wiped away a cold sweat from my forehead.

guarding angle is looking out for the little one, too.

god bless.

:(

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-13-2008, 10:39 AM
I think there could be a lot of faults here. The fence was clearly not designed for a little kid, BUT it was back far enough form the edge so she didn't tumble down the cliff. This means who ever built it DID think about the placement and positioning of it, and left a little room "Just in case" of a situation like this.

David Jamieson
11-13-2008, 03:59 PM
The parents are at fault.

Burn their house!!! Beat Their Mothers!!!

:p

rogue
11-13-2008, 06:17 PM
I can't help thinking that somewhere GDA is laughing his ass off.

YouKnowWho
11-13-2008, 09:48 PM
It was all GWB's fault.

GreenCloudCLF
11-14-2008, 05:12 AM
That parent is a moron. If you go somewhere with your child that has a 150 foot drop and the fence looks like that, there is no way in hell you should allow them to get that close. "The more I thought about it the angrier I got. There should be a better fence." Guess what, the more I think about it the angrier I get, because your ******* should have realized what that fence looks like and that your 3 year old should never have been told to go over there to take a picture. This mom needs to take responsibility for her actions and not blame "the fence" for her lack of common sense.

rogue
11-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Welcome to Obama World, where responsibility for ones actions is a thing of the past. :cool:

sanjuro_ronin
11-14-2008, 06:03 AM
yea, i basically agree. I wonder at what signs were posted nearby.

the fence doesn't meet any safety standards that I'm aware of but around here we have lots of overlooks on the blue ridge parkway w/ no fencing at all and steep drops of many 10's of feet...call me silly but steep drops mean 'be careful around them'

but, still, if it had been my 3 year old, they would not have been that close to the edge of anything with an obviously inadequate fence w/o a hand in an adults hand.

what got me the most was the parents accusal of the park system w/o any acceptance of culpability on their own part. i think this points to many things including the obvious fact that a lawyer got to them and said they could make some money and the sheeples insistance that somebody else take care of them.

it was an accident, but avoidable, glad the little girl didn't take the fall and thank Zod for the monkey brain that automatically grabs **** when it's scared.

Most accidents are preventable.
As parents we are always responsible for out children.
Doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't hurt the municipality of that area to make that place safer, especially in a country as "lawsuit friendly" as the US.
Is the correct term litigious?

sanjuro_ronin
11-14-2008, 06:04 AM
Welcome to Obama World, where responsibility for ones actions is a thing of the past. :cool:

Didn't GWB already set the precedent awhile ago?
:D

SimonM
11-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Ok.... so Rogue thinks Obama's at fault.

Here's a notion: perhaps stuff just happens.

Consider this - the little girl wasn't LEANING on the railing. She was standing in front of it. She wasn't really doing anything THAT irresponsible, just posing for a family video.

Yes, the parents could have had the girl on a tether.
Yes, the underfunded park could have used more of the money they don't have because the "taxuz r badz" idiots have gutted the state to build a safer fence.

But, at the end of the day, what I saw was an unpredictable accident where a little child just happened to lose equilibrium at the worst possible moment.

If it hadn't been life-threatening stick a voiceover from Bob Saget on it and you have a candidate for "America's Funniest Home Videos".

SimonM
11-14-2008, 08:15 AM

Consider this - the little girl wasn't LEANING on the railing. She was standing in front of it. She wasn't really doing anything THAT irresponsible, just posing for a family video.

Yes, the underfunded park could have used more of the money they don't have because the "taxuz r badz" idiots have gutted the state to build a safer fence.

But, at the end of the day, what I saw was an unpredictable accident where a little child just happened to lose equilibrium at the worst possible moment.

If it hadn't been life-threatening stick a voiceover from Bob Saget on it and you have a candidate for "America's Funniest Home Videos".

Is the correct term litigious?

Yes.

GreenCloudCLF
11-14-2008, 02:12 PM

Yes.

The girl was attempting to sit, which is why she fell. My issue is with mom saying "I am mad blah blah blah." Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. Loser.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-14-2008, 02:59 PM
I can't help thinking that somewhere GDA is laughing his ass off.

it would have been funnier had he suggested we burn their mothers and beat their houses, but yeah . .. mother beating is always funny.

i had to do a search for the video though . .. found it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVi6bxN5nvY

that's ****ing terrifying. i wouldn't be upset with the parents if they had taken responsibility for their lack of foresight, but the fact that they are acting as if they had nothing to do with it makes me want to knife rape them. while their mothers watch. while burning. their little dogs too . .. also burning. in fire.

Becca
11-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Welcome to Obama World, where responsibility for ones actions is a thing of the past. :cool:I'm betting that fence pre-dates an Obama presidency that hasn't even begun, and adults blaming shtuff on someone, anyone, else predates even Regan. :rolleyes:

Oso
11-19-2008, 07:45 PM
yea, rogue, i can't agree with you there...i blame ambulance chasing lawyers more than any particular political mindset...BOTH side of the net will claim plausible deniability if at all possible

Lucas
11-19-2008, 10:04 PM
watched the vid.

honestly, and im not making excuses for anyone, but i think part of the deal is that when people are at places like this, they see a barrier of some sort, and it often times is just taken for granted.

yes the parents should own up and understand they didnt pay close enough attention to what the barrier actually was, two simple poles with just enough room for a smal child to tumble through, and admit to their portion of the situation. at the same time, state parks do have little children at them often. but its hard to tell exactly where they are (the family) at to know how relevant that is.

its good the park officials are 'looking' into changing the fence.

SPJ
11-19-2008, 11:29 PM
yes. being a parent or the adult, we would shoulder most of the responsibity of our young ones.

:)

Becca
11-20-2008, 09:30 AM
at the same time, state parks do have little children at them often. but its hard to tell exactly where they are (the family) at to know how relevant that is...
Ah, yes. The defining concept of our times. That there is a difference between legal responsability and moral responsability is rediculuse; they should be one and the same with the same goals.

It's the parent's job to keep an eye out for dager to the child, even if the location seems pretty safe. The law should be there to protect the child from a parent who can't be bothered, not to protect the parent from feeling shame and horor at having done a p1ss pore job of protecting thier child.

It's nice that the state park is looking into replacing a fence that has only been a danger to one child with thoughtless parents. It's a shame the parents actually think they have a right to be mad at anyone but themselves.

3-year-old bundle of energy + semi-wild out door spaces = lots of ways to run up a doctor bill, or worse.