PDA

View Full Version : RE: Movement from 3rd Essential / Summary Form

Ericsepishii
11-02-2000, 03:37 PM
Sorry that this is specific to HK lineage Mantis
players only. (re: Chu Chi Man / Lee Kam Wing - Chiu Leun, Chun Chee Lee - Wong Hon Fun), however wanted to check and see how others played a specific movement from the 3rd Essential / Summary form.

Specifically I am trying to check about
the transitional hand method(s) between
movements # 22 and 23.

I have learned two methods of doing this.

One is to use the Rt hand to do a Patt style
block (Slap away block) from the front to the rear - similar to what is done between movements # 8 and 9 of Bung Bo with your Rt hand and then as you change direction to do the Lt Dil Sao (Intercepting Mantis hook) as the Rt hand is repositioned to your Rt side waist area in a fist.

The secondary mentod is to make use of your Lt hand - which is still in the open palm position
from movement # 22 and use the back of the hand
to do a Patt style block as you start to change direction and turn 180 degrees - then bring the Rt hand into play and do sort of a cleaning -
transfer (possibly even to do a grab/twist and pull to the Rt side waist area) and then the Lt hand takes over the Rt transfer block utilizing
a Dil Sao (mantis hook).

This being stated - how do others play this form?

cha kuen
11-03-2000, 05:46 AM
I supposed you're talking about the movement after you jump back from the groin kick?

From there I turn around and do a left mantis brab with a right low kidney strike. Next is a right groin kick and a kneeling stance w/ upper arm bar. Then I shuffle back into a right front stance and execute a block and punch. A right hammer strike follows then the step to the side where you chop the neck.

Is this the part?

Ericsepishii
11-03-2000, 03:58 PM
To: Cha Kuen,

Thank You for answering.

Yes this is the section that I am referring to,
however, you didn't really touch on what was
being asked.

When you turn to do the Lt Mantis Hook,
is there some sort of transitional movement
that you do prior to doing the Mantis hook,
as per what I had described or perhaps you do
something else?

cha kuen
11-04-2000, 02:55 AM
I do the first method you described.

Does that help?

Ericsepishii
11-04-2000, 04:04 PM
Yes, this is the answer I was looking for.

How about other HK Mantis lineage players,
there must be others who know this set
lurking out there. How about a response OK.

Thanks.

theghola
11-05-2000, 04:51 AM
I learned a form which my sifu called Essential III... The movements that cha kuen described are pretty much the same movements found in that form. If we are referring to the same form, then I was taught to the the first method you described. However, isn't this open to interpretation? I mean, all the form movements can be interpreted in different ways depending on the situations you ascribe to them...