PDA

View Full Version : Windows Xp Back up from a Laptop question

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 05:16 PM
When I go to do the back up, it wants me to insert a floppy disk at the end of the process...but I don't have a floppy drive.

Does this mean I can't restore the system if need be?

hskwarrior
11-14-2008, 05:19 PM
try repetitively tapping F8 as you reboot until you get the options.....give that a try

hskwarrior
11-14-2008, 05:20 PM
yes, you have to have to backup disc that comes with windows hp. i just had a bluescreen of death pop up and it cost me 50 bucks to get back in.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 05:34 PM
try repetitively tapping F8 as you reboot until you get the options.....give that a try

Reply]
That won't help. This is not a matter of the bios not seeing the drive. The Laptop does not even physically have a floppy drive. It's just got a CD/DVD drive.

hskwarrior
11-14-2008, 05:41 PM
how about getting an external floppy drive?

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 05:42 PM
yes, you have to have to backup disc that comes with windows hp. i just had a bluescreen of death pop up and it cost me 50 bucks to get back in.

Reply]
I have all the windows install disks and such. What I want to do is back up my hardrive and system settings onto a separate USB harddrive in case of some sort of catostropic incident that destroys my system. If I have a back up on the external USB drive, it will be a simple matter of running the restore wizard to fix the system.

The problem is that I have a laptop, which I (like a dummy) installed the XP corporate desktop version on, instead of the laptop version, so it has a back up utility that expects there to be a floppy drive installed...but I don't have a floppy at all.

I was able to copy paste all the data to the back up, so that is saved just fine,BUT I want to be able to just run a restore wizard and have it completely rebuild the system, data, software and settings all in one easy step, rather than do it all the hard way if there is a problem.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 05:47 PM
how about getting an external floppy drive?

Reply]
That is a thought. Although, if I go that route, I might be better off buying an aftermarket back up program that gives me more options than Windows XP does. Then I could do it all in one step, rather than two.

Before I spend the money though, I want to see if there is a quick fix, or maybe find out if i can do a restore without the floppy. If that is the case, then I don't have a problem after all. I have to find out though. I'd hate to have a crash and find out after that the original backup did not work, and I have to rebuild the system manually.

Right now, if something happened, I am still covered, it would just be lots of work to rebuild.

hskwarrior
11-14-2008, 05:51 PM
shouldn't you be able to do that onto a blank cd?

or can you choose which drive to use to save it?

hskwarrior
11-14-2008, 05:53 PM
luckily for me, i saved the book i'm writing onto a separate disk because i lost everything on my computer........sucks.......

taai gihk yahn
11-14-2008, 05:57 PM
fer Chrissakes, and not to be a d1ck, but buy a Mac already guys, and these sorts of conversations will become just a bad memory...(in all seriousness, I strongly advocate it - my wife used to be a die hard Windows gal, after a few months seeing what it was like to have a Mac around, she switched over and never looked back)

hskwarrior
11-14-2008, 06:01 PM
on a scale of 1-10.......where would you rank it?

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 06:13 PM
fer Chrissakes, and not to be a d1ck, but buy a Mac already guys, and these sorts of conversations will become just a bad memory...(in all seriousness, I strongly advocate it - my wife used to be a die hard Windows gal, after a few months seeing what it was like to have a Mac around, she switched over and never looked back)

Reply]
No, we will have all new conversations like how to spend endless hours in never ending frustration *TRYING* to make a useless Mac run critical, programs that my business DEPENDS ON because it is INCAPABLE OF ****ING RUNNING THEM!!!! When I should be running my business and making Goddammed money!!

LISTEN YOU STUPID MORON!!

Macs are DEFICIENT USELESS BOXES THAT ****DON'T**** RUN ****ANY**** OF MY SOFTWARE!!!!

They ***DON'T*** WORK AT ALLL, CAN'T RUN ANY PROGRAMS THAT MY BUSINESS **DEPENDS** ON, AND ARE OVER PRICED PAPERWEIGHTS!!!!

NO SHUT THE SAM HELL UP AND GO SPOUT YOUR NONSENSICAL, BRAINWASHED, RELIGIOUS PROPAGANDA SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

naja
11-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Reply]
That is a thought. Although, if I go that route, I might be better off buying an aftermarket back up program that gives me more options than Windows XP does. Then I could do it all in one step, rather than two.

Before I spend the money though, I want to see if there is a quick fix, or maybe find out if i can do a restore without the floppy. If that is the case, then I don't have a problem after all. I have to find out though. I'd hate to have a crash and find out after that the original backup did not work, and I have to rebuild the system manually.

Right now, if something happened, I am still covered, it would just be lots of work to rebuild.

Go buy you an external USB drive and a copy of Symantec Ghost.

taai gihk yahn
11-14-2008, 06:16 PM
on a scale of 1-10.......where would you rank it?

are you asking about a Mac? if so, I have to give it at minimum an 8/10 (for basic models - the high-end dual processor stuff is 10/10, IMPE), and I'll tell ya why:
takes less than a minute from turning the machine on to being fully booted, all the time (except right after a software update download);
unlike Windows, which is basically a software product on top of a buggy operating system (DOS), the Mac OS is what you run programs from, so one less piece of software as intermediary
because it's so stable, you can leave it on for days on end in sleep mode and pick up right where you left off;
if a program does freeze (very rare, happens mostly w/internet sites that hang while loading), the Linux-based system is set up in such a way that you just force quit that particular program and re-open it without having to reboot the system
loading software is a cinch, compatibility issues are almost non-existent;
no need for virus protection (they used to include it, they don't even bother now - you just download security updates every so often, but even the Norton guys a few years back were like "the best way to protect against a virus is to use a mac"); this is evidently because writing Mac viruses is more difficult, because the operating system is much more stable
Keynote - blows away Power Point; I also prefer Safari to IE for browsing
graphic functions are awesome and totally easy to use (e.g. - Parella switched over and has self-produced some very cool CLF / Lama dioramas he had printed out on posterboard and put up in the school); especially if you want to self-publish your book - that's what Mac's are designed for - graphics / publishing industry!
more subjective, but I prefer the entire interface much more - it just "flows" a lot better than the Windows platform (remember, they basically ripped off Mac for the idea anyway)
typically the monitor quality is better

I could go on, but to me, it's no contest; I know it's a bit more $$$ up front, but I promise you that that it is a worthy investment,

naja
11-14-2008, 06:17 PM

I know you probably don't believe this but MACs do occasionally have hardware failures. I know, it's a crazy thought...but backing up your MAC might not be a bad idea.

taai gihk yahn
11-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Reply]
LISTEN YOU STUPID MORON!!

Macs are DEFICIENT USELESS BOXES THAT ****DON'T**** RUN ****ANY**** OF MY SOFTWARE!!!!

They ***DON'T*** WORK AT ALLL, CAN'T RUN ANY PROGRAMS THAT MY BUSINESS **DEPENDS** ON, AND ARE OVER PRICED PAPERWEIGHTS!!!!

NO SHUT THE SAM HELL UP AND GO SPOUT YOUR NONSENSICAL RELIGIOUS PROPAGANDA SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

I hope you can still get a refund for that Anger Management course...

but you are correct, the choices of software are limited - case in point, my wife needed very specific software in order to document her caseload for her medical boards coming up next year, and none of the 3 or 4 companies around make a version for Mac, so she had to go buy a PC laptop just for that (and has been having pretty much non-stop problems with installing and running it as well, no shock...)

taai gihk yahn
11-14-2008, 06:19 PM
I know you probably don't believe this but MACs do occasionally have hardware failures. I know, it's a crazy thought...but backing up your MAC might not be a bad idea.

well of course they do - anything can fail, certainly one ought to back up regularly - but that's a given, AFAIC; relative to PC's, it's much less though, IMPE

ok, I'm not gonna hijack anymore

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 06:30 PM
are you asking about a Mac? if so, I have to give it at minimum an 8/10 (for basic models - the high-end dual processor stuff is 10/10, IMPE), and I'll tell ya why:
takes less than a minute from turning the machine on to being fully booted, all the time (except right after a software update download);
unlike Windows, which is basically a software product on top of a buggy operating system (DOS), the Mac OS is what you run programs from, so one less piece of software as intermediary
because it's so stable, you can leave it on for days on end in sleep mode and pick up right where you left off;
if a program does freeze (very rare, happens mostly w/internet sites that hang while loading), the Linux-based system is set up in such a way that you just force quit that particular program and re-open it without having to reboot the system
no need for virus protection (they used to include it, they don't even bother now - you just download security updates every so often, but even the Norton guys a few years back were like "the best way to protect against a virus is to use a mac"); this is evidently because writing Mac viruses is more difficult, because the operating system is much more stable
graphic functions are awesome and totally easy to use (e.g. - Parella switched over and has self-produced some very cool CLF / Lama dioramas he had printed out on posterboard and put up in the school); especially if you want to self-publish your book - that's what Mac's are designed for - graphics / publishing industry!
more subjective, but I prefer the entire interface much more - it just "flows" a lot better than the Windows platform (remember, they basically ripped off Mac for the idea anyway)

I could go on, but to me, it's no contest; I know it's a bit more $$$ up front, but I promise you that that it is a worthy investment,

Reply]
Look, any good, well built PC today can run circles around a mac. There is NOTHING special about them.

In addition, Macs only have about 9% of the market share because THEY SUCK AND CAN'T HANDLE RUNNING COMMONLY USED SOFTWARE!!!

91% of the computer market are PC usres because they need to be able to run all thier industry specific software. Macs are SO CRAPPY they can't run much more than thier own programs, THAT NO ONE OUTSIDE OF THEM USES!!!

I don't care if it is a full on AI, if it is so substandard it can't run anything i need to run it's GARBAGE.

Now Shut the **** UP ALREADY!!!

naja
11-14-2008, 06:31 PM

Who cares, I leave my PC on all the time anyway.

No, it isn't. MACs use a desktop manager just like any other OS. Including Pure UNIX systems.

MAC osX is built on UNIX, not LINUX. There is a difference. And Windows can do this as well, it's called TASK MANAGER.

HA! Boy are you in for a treat. And just a little FYI...the Miller virus hit Unix DNS servers in '92. First major internet virus. And it hit UNIX servers. You should read the link I posted in the other RD thread. Safari is a big hole for MACs, you would be better off using firefox.

Personally, I don't care what you use. I'm just so tired of you MAC people bashing another OS that you really don't seem to understand. I realize you probably don't work in the IT industry and you just use your laptop for recreational use, but come on, if you are going to try giving advice on this subject then get a little more informed.

I'm really not trying to sound like an @ss, I personally think more people in a recreational setting would enjoy MACs more than PCs, but the whole "MACs can't get viruses" promotes laziness and that is not a good thing. MACs are seeing m ore malware and attacks now adays because of this mentality. There have been MAC viruses written for simple point of principle attacks.

naja
11-14-2008, 06:35 PM
well of course they do - anything can fail, certainly one ought to back up regularly - but that's a given, AFAIC; relative to PC's, it's much less though, IMPE

ok, I'm not gonna hijack anymore

???? You just shot your previous comment dead in the water with this one!!! He needs a backup of his system, you say "buy a mac", now you say, "sure MACs need backups too"...?????

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 06:36 PM
If I knew how, i'd write a MAC virus just to watch it erase all thier hard drives over night.

That outta shut them up!!

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 06:41 PM
???? You just shot your previous comment dead in the water with this one!!! He needs a backup of his system, you say "buy a mac", now you say, "sure MACs need backups too"...?????

Reply]
More proof that mac users are mindless, brainwashed, religious zealots!

Personally, I could care less what platform someone uses, but stop entering threads and trying to force your ideology on ME, especially when your system is so deficient that it won't even run the most basic program I have.

It might be different *IF* a Mac would actually be of benefit to me, but considering 91% of the market runs PC's, and Macs can't even run simple charting software, I think they should just shut the f'n hell up and stop trying to ram thier useless religion down my throat.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 07:27 PM
I think I may have found a way to do the back up where the info that goes on the floppy is stored in the primary back up file instead.

I am running a second back up to test if that works now.

CLFLPstudent
11-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Here's me not saying anything, but i am snickering.....

-David

IronWeasel
11-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Go buy you an external USB drive and a copy of Symantec Ghost.

What he said.

...we now return you to your regularly scheduled pron.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I already have the USB drive (500 gigs), In will look into Symantec Ghost.

Thanks!!

JGTevo
11-15-2008, 01:34 AM
unlike Windows, which is basically a software product on top of a buggy operating system (DOS),

Thats a completely false statement.
Windows 98, 95, 3.1, yes.

Windows XP and Vista are built on the NT operating system, which isn't built on top of DOS.

Absolutely the same thing for Windows. the 9x series is a thing of the past. You won't find ANYONE in IT who doesn't respect Microsoft's move for building their OS's on NT.

Same thing for Windows.

Compatibility issues are non-existant on Windows, with Windows programs.
The only problems it has are with DOS-based programs.

Don't attribute this to MacOS being a superior operating system. Its because Virus/Spyware programmers want to get the most users infected. If MacOS held the market share Windows does, it would be the same story.

That being said, it does take an intelligent person to not get infected. Unfortunately MacOS users don't care much for intelligence, so their OS suits them perfectly. :p

FireFox is a superior browser to both. And Safari is for Windows too.
Keynote is person-specific. Its like me saying that Windows is a superior Operating system because it runs far more games. But if you're not a gamer it doesn't matter, so its a moot point.

All of the top-notch graphic design programs are for both operating systems.
The PPC processor Macs used to use, were better for graphics/rendering/etc., now that they've switched to Intel procs, there is no performance noticiable difference.

"Ripped Off"? Please. They may have "Ripped off" the idea of a graphical OS. But to say they ripped off MacOS is to claim that Linux ripped off both of them. It's ridiculous. Theres a need for graphical operating systems. Theres not very many ways to do them.

Ridiculous.

I could go on, but to me, it's no contest; I know it's a bit more $$$ up front, but I promise you that that it is a worthy investment

Its really not.

JGTevo
11-15-2008, 05:10 AM
so she had to go buy a PC laptop just for that (and has been having pretty much non-stop problems with installing and running it as well, no shock...)

Absolutely. Just as any PC person would have issues getting used to MacOS or Linux... That being said - 99% of issues with Windows XP stem from bad software(from other companies) or (or in Vista's case)bad drivers(also from other companies). The OS itself is incredibly stable and usable.

bakxierboxer
11-15-2008, 01:51 PM
BOTH MS and Apple ripped off the GUI from Xerox PARC and their STAR workstations.
(goes 'WAY back into the 70s)

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Well, it appears this thread was pointless. The MS back up utility worked just fine now that I figured out which option had to be used.

This was a case of operator error.

Although I am sure that *IF* I had a Mac, there would have been no such thing as operator error because macs were given to us from on high by the baby Jebus himself, and The baby jebus makes no mistakes!!

CLFLPstudent
11-15-2008, 03:53 PM
This was a case of operator error.

Can I use this as my sig?

-David

CLFLPstudent
11-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Done and done!

-David

Yao Sing
11-15-2008, 07:16 PM
I already have the USB drive (500 gigs), In will look into Symantec Ghost.

Thanks!!

Actually you should look into Acronis TrueImage. It's a better product than Norton Ghost.

The old Ghost program was good but the new one isn't based on the older version. Norton bought out PowerQuest then renamed their backup product, DriveImage, Ghost 9.0 so the backup files are no longer compatible.

What I do is use Partition Magic to create a new 1 or 2 GB partition then use TrueImage to backup the C: drive to the D: drive. Then I copy the backup image to my server or burn to DVD. That way I can do a quick & easy re-install of the C: drive in case of major software failure, and restore from DVD or network in case of hard drive failure or upgrade.

Oh yeah, you can also edit the registry to change where Windows looks for files. I would guess that the backup program's default drive could also be changed this way.

I also copy the I386 folder to the hard drive and change the sourcedrive in the registry to the I386 folder on the hard drive. That way it doesn't ask for the Windows CD, it pulls what it needs from the hard drive's I386 folder. Great for running System File Checker (sfc /scannow) when spyware ****s up your system files.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Actually you should look into Acronis TrueImage. It's a better product than Norton Ghost.

The old Ghost program was good but the new one isn't based on the older version. Norton bought out PowerQuest then renamed their backup product, DriveImage, Ghost 9.0 so the backup files are no longer compatible.

What I do is use Partition Magic to create a new 1 or 2 GB partition then use TrueImage to backup the C: drive to the D: drive. Then I copy the backup image to my server or burn to DVD. That way I can do a quick & easy re-install of the C: drive in case of major software failure, and restore from DVD or network in case of hard drive failure or upgrade.

Oh yeah, you can also edit the registry to change where Windows looks for files. I would guess that the backup program's default drive could also be changed this way.

I also copy the I386 folder to the hard drive and change the sourcedrive in the registry to the I386 folder on the hard drive. That way it doesn't ask for the Windows CD, it pulls what it needs from the hard drive's I386 folder. Great for running System File Checker (sfc /scannow) when spyware ****s up your system files.

Reply]
That is a really good idea!

I am already partitioned, but I could probably use the principal to image both partitions and save them on my USB drive. That would at least save me from a catastrophic calamity if one should occure (like it did my desktop recently)

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Can I use this as my sig?

-David

Reply]
LOL!!!

bakxierboxer
11-16-2008, 10:50 AM

I also cast my vote for Acronis TrueImage, and they also make Disk Director for partitioning, etc. It's capable of making a protected volume for your backups.
Both programs can make bootable recovery disks.... (perhaps "better" in combination)

I "got" a suite of Norton products as freebies with my system when it was new.
Didn't like 'em... not even for free.

7-Zip file manager might also work nicely as a backup program.... freebie on CNET.

... create a new 1 or 2 GB partition then use TrueImage to backup the C: drive to the D: drive.

These days, what earthly use is a "mere" 1 to 2 Gig partition?
My fairly-well pruned Vista system clocks in at a bit under 30 Gigs.

Oh yeah, you can also edit the registry to change where Windows looks for files. I would guess that the backup program's default drive could also be changed this way.....

Good info.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-16-2008, 04:04 PM
My laptop has an 80 Gig drive - almost filled
My Desktop as a 40 gig for the OS with about 16 gigs filled and a 250 gig for data, with over 170 gigs filled

My back up drive is 500 gigs, with data backed up from both and several folders for software install disks....I am thinking now, that I should have gotten a full terabyte.

David Jamieson
11-16-2008, 04:09 PM
ahahahahhahaha!

Macs (http://www.evilmilk.com/pictures/The_Mac.jpg)

bakxierboxer
11-16-2008, 06:48 PM
ahahahahhahaha!

Macs (http://www.evilmilk.com/pictures/The_Mac.jpg)

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20081116/D94G8NO80.html

Gadget survey finds many bugs can't be fixed
Email this Story

Nov 16, 4:04 PM (ET)

By ANDREW VANACORE

NEW YORK (AP) - Gadget makers love to sell us on all the things their devices can do, whether it's letting us chat with distant friends at any time or watch movies on our commute. But can anyone fix this stuff when it breaks?

{{{BIG-SNIP!!!}}}

Once they were up and running, not all was fine: Nearly 40 percent of computer users said their machine stopped working properly at some point in the past year. Almost 30 percent of cell phone users said the same.

{{{LESSER-SNIP!!!}}}........

Ask Avery Griffin, who switched to an Apple Inc. (AAPL) computer a few years ago for its audio recording software. The 24-year-old musician said his new machine wouldn't stop freezing up and crashing. But he said all he heard from Apple was, "At least it's not a PC."

The PC he uses now works just fine, he said.

bakxierboxer
11-16-2008, 06:55 PM
My laptop has an 80 Gig drive - almost filled
My Desktop as a 40 gig for the OS with about 16 gigs filled and a 250 gig for data, with over 170 gigs filled

My back up drive is 500 gigs, with data backed up from both and several folders for software install disks....I am thinking now, that I should have gotten a full terabyte.

"Most" after-market backup programs do at least some amount of compression and decompression (on restore). The 7-Zip File Manager I mentioned is one of the strongest (?) compression programs around (at least the algorithm is "new"(er)),although it also allows use of older (more-standard?) compression methods.

I set up a protected volume with Acronis' Disk Director and have used their TrueImage backup software to create the current group of 11 or 12 backups that are residing in that volume. I've had to use restore once and it worked just fine.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-16-2008, 07:29 PM
I am going to have to look into that. I like the idea of having an exact image of my system stored safely on a separate drive.

bakxierboxer
11-16-2008, 07:41 PM
I am going to have to look into that. I like the idea of having an exact image of my system stored safely on a separate drive.

If you get it, don't forget to also create the bootable system restore CD/DVD that will access the protected volume. It seemed like an easy process to me.......
(although it's not needed for anything other than a full system restore of a crashed system)
Restores are easy enough that I've even done a major restore with the over-write enabled to get rid of some nagging fragmentation...... :confused: :)

You also have the option of creating totally new backups, or appending changes to a previous one..... I tend to do totally new ones every time, since there seems to be little incentive time-wise to do the partials.... and I don't see that disk-space is going to become a problem anytime soon. :D

CLFLPstudent
11-16-2008, 08:46 PM
http://apnews.myway.com//article/20081116/D94G8NO80.html

Did you even read the article you linked to? Those <snips> of yours are very convenient. 15% of people had problems with all of the tech devices they own ( cell phones, computers, etc). They said that of the 15%, 38% solved the problem with tech support, 28% fixed it themselves, 15% got help from friends or relatives, 2% used the internet to fix the problem and 15% gave up. They cited one (1) person in the whole article who had problems with his computer, and it happened to be a mac. What about all of the other idiot's? How is this a condemnation of Apple products?

Puh-lease. Try again. You fail.

Keep buying PC's. Keep having to restore your OS over and over again.....

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-16-2008, 08:52 PM
I have had my laptop over 2 years now, and I never once had to restore the OS.

Then only reason I had to on the desktop was due to dowloading music from P2P sites, and I got a Trojan from several infected Evanescence tunes (it's a nasty 2 part one that destroys the Hard drive directory).

I was running Itunes to play the music at the time, which, if I am not mistaken, is a Mac/Apple product.

I should have used a Windows player, i'd probably be fine right now as it would not have recognized the file and just not played it.

I will be using a Windows media payer for music from now on, the Apple crap sux.

bakxierboxer
11-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Puh-lease. Try again. You fail.

Keep buying PC's. Keep having to restore your OS over and over again.....

-David

Uh....what's that word?
Oh....yeh!

SCHMUCK!

Of course I read it!
I included the link "in the interest of "fairness"".

I just found it interesting that "even Apple" has its problems.... and that mention of that fact was "featured" in a story by the ever-liberal AP (and probably the NYT)

CLFLPstudent
11-16-2008, 08:56 PM

Then only reason I had to on the desktop was due to dowloading music from P2P sites, and I got a Trojan from several infected Evanescence tunes.

I was running Itunes to play the music at the time, which, if I am not mistaken, is a Mac/Apple product.

I should have used a Windows player, i'd probably be fine right now as it would not have recognized the file and just not played it.

I will be using a Windows media payer for music from now on, the Apple crap sux.

Riiiight. So iTunes was the problem because it played the infected files you downloaded illegally. OK.

I look forward to your next 'help I have a virus" thread.

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Actually yes, it is Apple's fault. Windows media player would not have recognized the file format or told me it was corrupt and not played it.

Apples are junk, and just play anything, anyway even if a file has been compromised. The Windows system offers far greater protection than the Apple products. Apple is just weak like that.

CLFLPstudent
11-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Uh....what's that word?
Oh....yeh!

SCHMUCK!

Of course I read it!
I included the link "in the interest of "fairness"".

Of course some Apple products will have problems. Just not nearly as many as you Wintel geeks do.

ConsumerReports Laptop/Notebook Tech Support satisfaction chart (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/computers-internet/computer/laptop-computers/laptop-notebook-computers-sub/tech-support/laptops-tech-support.htm)

ConsumerReports Desktop Tech Support Chart (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/computers-internet/computer/desktop-computers/desktop-pcs-mac-computers-sub/tech-support/desktop-tech-support-ov.htm)

They probably wont show up, I think you need a consumer report account, but Apple far and away leads the other brands with 83% and 81% reader score respectively, compared to the next highest Lenovo who score 66% on both charts.

I just found it interesting that "even Apple" has its problems.... and that mention of that fact was "featured" in a story by the ever-liberal AP (and probably the NYT) (emphasis by me)

I see, you're one of 'those' types.

-David

CLFLPstudent
11-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Actually yes, it is Apple's fault. Windows media player would not have recognized the file format or told me it was corrupt and not played it.

Apples are junk, and just play anything, anyway even if a file has been compromised. The Windows system offers far greater protection than the Apple products. Apple is just weak like that.

Right, and it's the hookers fault when you get herpes?

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-16-2008, 09:12 PM

Reply]
Actually, outside of my current attack, I can't remember the last time I had a virus thread. Hardware issues yes. I have an Averatec Laptop. The factory assembled it with all the cheapest parts, instead of what is actually applicable to the design needs of the unit. It is a cheap *Copy* of the Sony model of the same size.

For example, they have a severely substandard cooling system, and instead of using a Turion MT processor, they used the hotter running Turion ML because it is cheaper.

This is not the PC platforms fault, it is a bad mismatch of components by the Averatec designer.

I had to all but rebuild it myself. I had to replace the screen with a Sony screen, replace the DVD burner, Processor, Memory due to burning out from over heating, and several other things.

Now it runs like a whole new machine, with very few problems. Just drilling a couple extra holes in the case for added air flow keeps it cool enough to not need to replace the CPU (although who could argue that a faster one would not be better?).

Again, it's stable, reliable system now, and it's still a PC. If i had bought the Sony unit that mine is a cheap knock off of, I would have had no problems from day one, ever. Sony makes Kick ass Laptops that "Just Work"

And they are PCs

CLFLPstudent
11-16-2008, 09:12 PM

lol....This reminds me of the Chris Rock's bit. "I take care of my kids"

You say this as though it's an achievement - you're not supposed to have to re-install your OS time and again!

-David

CLFLPstudent
11-16-2008, 09:14 PM

Reply]
Actually, outside of my current attack, I can't remember the last time I had a virus thread. Hardware issues yes. I have an Averatec Laptop. The factory assembled it with all the cheapest parts, instead of what is actually applicable to the design needs of the unit. It is a cheap *Copy* of the Sony model of the same size.

Er, You don't remember October 26,2008? (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52323)

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Right, and it's the hookers fault when you get herpes?

-David

Reply]
I don't use hookers, but if YOU get herpes, it's your fault for using a substandard Apple flavored Condom.

CLFLPstudent
11-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Reply]
I don't use hookers, but if YOU get herpes, it's your fault for using a substandard Apple flavored Condom.

No, you peni$ is the computer. You stick it in a P2P site and get a virus, you blame your peni$?

Good job!

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Er, You don't remember October 26,2008? (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52323)

-David

Reply]
That is the same Virus issue my desktop still has. I used a recovery program recommended by some of the guys here. it worked, but I need to buy the key code for it. I suppose i could search for a Crack for it, but i think I have cheated enough at this point.

The Laptop issue was just me trying to figure out a good back up strategy, and ask if anyone knows good sources for CPUS (before I figured out how to solve my cooling problem, and thus no longer needed a CPU).

It's actually working just fine, and has been this whole time.

Now,if i had, had a MAC I would have been pulling my hair out because those junk boxes can't run any software but thier own. I couldn't use one if I wanted to, they "Just don't work"

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-16-2008, 09:23 PM
No, you peni$ is the computer. You stick it in a P2P site and get a virus, you blame your peni$?

Good job!

-David

Reply]
No, I blame the Apple flavored Condom. I should have used a Windows Condom. If I had, i'd be fine now.

CLFLPstudent
11-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Reply]

Now,if i had, had a MAC I would have been pulling my hair out because those junk boxes can't run any software but thier own. I couldn't use one if I wanted to, they "Just don't work"

No. If you had run iTunes on a mac, you would never have gotten the virus. It wouldn't have worked. It was Wintel exclusive.

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-16-2008, 09:28 PM
The thing I don't get about you is that your MAC simply Does NOT Work 100% of the time. It can't even run the most BASIC software my business depends on.

My PC runs everything I need, or wil ever need,and only has a problem like 2% of the time.

The MAC NEVER works, and NEVER WILL work, the PC works 98% of the time, yet you still think your Mac is God's gift.

Me thinks you need a deprogrammer, your Brainwashing has over taken your ability to think...although maybe you wouldn't be brainwashed in the first place if you could think to begin with, I don't know. Either way, you are an idiot.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-16-2008, 09:35 PM
:
Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
Reply]

No. If you had run iTunes on a mac, you would never have gotten the virus. It wouldn't have worked. It was Wintel exclusive.

Reply]
If i had a MAC, listening to music would have been the ONLY thing I could have been doing, since they are useless for anything more productive.

Given that, i STILL would have had to buy a PC to run my business, because the MAC just does not have the capability to run anything useful.

It would make more sense to buy a CD player, and a PC, then buy a MAC and a PC/ either way, i still gotta buy a PC to run my business. Macs are useless.

CLFLPstudent
11-16-2008, 09:37 PM
The thing I don't get about you is that your MAC simply Does NOT Work 100% of the time. It can't even run the most BASIC software my business depends on.

My PC runs everything I need, or wil ever need,and only has a problem like 2% of the time.

The MAC NEVER works, and NEVER WILL work, the PC works 98% of the time, yet you still think your Mac is God's gift.

Me thinks you need a deprogrammer, your Brainwashing has over taken your ability to think...although maybe you wouldn't be brainwashed in the first place if you could think to begin with, I don't know. Either way, you are an idiot.

Look, RD, don't get a mac. I said - you were probably right that your software and possible alternatives for them do not run on macintosh OS. fine. That part of the discussion is over.

But to blame iTunes because YOU did something illegal and you paid a price for it is laughable.

To say MY mac doesn't work 100% of the time is just plain moronic. How would you know if my mac is working or not anyway? As God is my witness, my mac has not once crashed since I bought it for my wife a few (2? 3? I can't remember) years ago. I never upgraded the RAM, never installed AV software, installed spyware software for about 2 days then uninstalled it because it slowed down the browser. Never gotten a virus ( even though they are sooo prevalent among mac-users lol.

Whatever - just don't fool yourself that it was an Apple/Mac OS fault that you got a virus. Keep calling me an idiot - it makes me laugh.

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-16-2008, 09:41 PM
A MAC will not run ANY of the software I need, thearfore it will not work 100&#37; of the time.

Look,don't get all upset, it's not your fault your God like box is vastly inferior and just can't cut it outside of your little dream word.

It's not easy to let go of your fantasies of God like grandeur and power. Just ask all the crappy Kung Fu people who got beat down in MMA.

bakxierboxer
11-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Of course some Apple products will have problems. Just not nearly as many as you Wintel geeks do.

"The numbers game", again....
Fewer Crapples sold, fewer (in total numbers) breakdowns.
(the percentages may well be higher)

URL="http://www.consumerreports.org........

They probably wont show up, I think you need a consumer report account, but Apple far and away leads the other brands with 83% and 81% reader score respectively, compared to the next highest Lenovo who score 66% on both charts.

Ah, yes.... "Consumer Reports",the first and last refuge of the technologically illiterate.
(in any given area where they are "lacking expertise")

(emphasis by me)

I see, you're one of 'those' types.

OK, I admit it.
I actually GASP SOLD PCs until the internet price-cutting began and profits became scarce.

People couldn't understand why I didn't want to support their PCs (that they'd bought online) for free........

People couldn't understand why I didn't want to replace the bogus/counterfeit RAM (they'd bought at BestBuy).... again "for free".

BAH! HUMBUG(s)!

CLFLPstudent
11-16-2008, 09:51 PM
A MAC will not run ANY of the software I need, thearfore it will not work 100% of the time.

Look,don't get all upset, it's not your fault your God like box is vastly inferior and just can't cut it outside of your little dream word.

It's not easy to let go of your fantasies of God like grandeur and power. Just ask all the crappy Kung Fu people who got beat down in MMA.

Hahahahahaha......

What kind of a mac do you have RD?

your mac might run Vista better than your wintel boxes (http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/30190/review/macbook_pro.html)

And this was from a PC mag....

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-17-2008, 04:40 AM
our $2949 test unit set new speed records (through 10/25/2007). The MacBook Pro outperformed the rest of the notebooks we tested,

HOLY CRAP!!! At almost THREE GRAND it outta be able to polish my....um SHOES!!!! :eek:

Give me an almost $3000.00 PC, and I can out perform that thing I am sure.

Jebus dear God, THREE GRAND???? And you are giving me grief because I want to upgrade my $600.00 Averatec with a $250.00 Processor? Are you on CRACK?

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-17-2008, 04:47 AM
Oh Dear Lord, This thing is a PC, in a MAC casing!!

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB766LL/A?mco=MTkzOTI1MA

When are you gonna give up. EVEN APPLE HAS GONE PC!!!!

David Jamieson
11-17-2008, 05:04 PM
apple went pc architecture with the dual core tech. they had to or they risked losing even more market share because their tech was no match for the ever more powerful PCs which have steadily stripped them(macs) of any purpose since about 1997 (or when it really matered that everyone could now access). They have dismal market share in computing now and it;s mostly because they are closed to 3rd party programs.

anyway, for 500 bucks (that's canadian by the way) you can buy a desktop that is faster and more capable than pretty much any mac.

few more years and apple will be making PCs, they will have to and following that, there will be no difference between a mac and a pc and it won't be the pc integrating mac tech but rather the other way round.

Toby
11-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Quote]

When I go to do the back up, it wants me to insert a floppy disk at the end of the process...but I don't have a floppy drive.

Does this mean I can't restore the system if need be?
Reply]
Next time try typing:

"Reply]
I don't have one"

That should work.

JGTevo
11-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Hahahahahaha......

your mac might run Vista better than your wintel boxes (http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/30190/review/macbook_pro.html)

-David

The story should read:
"Apple sells high-end PC hardware at a ridiculous premium."

Your story is ridiculous. You can buy all of the hardware from several places. The only things apple have going for them are pretty cases and MacOS.

The IBM processors it used to use that were better for graphic design and such? Gone.

Every piece of hardware available for Macs, are available for Windows. Thus there is no such thing as a Mac that will run Vista better than a PC will. It IS a PC!!

Btw, your story is over a year old. There are Laptop PCs out there with better hardware than that, for around $1000.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-17-2008, 08:03 PM
LOL!!! Truth is Ironic at times, ain't it?

CLFLPstudent
11-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Ahh, I'm bored. Keep building your PC's.....

BTW, the MacBook Pro in that year-old article ran up against other Wintel laptops at the same price level, except for the 'Cheapest" laptop award. A bunch ( of the PC's) were higher priced, even.

Anyway, give me OS X in any form over Vista/XP any day.....

continue with your ridiculous rants about how bad mac's are....

-David

JGTevo
11-18-2008, 04:03 AM
Ahh, I'm bored. Keep building your PC's.....

Absolutely. Keep in mind that I can build a PC better than any Mac that Apple sells(it'd be expensive, but thats beside the point), and on top of that, one that runs both OSX and XP/Vista and Linux. In these days of multi-boot, you don't need to choose one or the other.

Christ, you remind me of one of those old Super Nintendo Vs. Sega Genesis freaks.

BTW, the MacBook Pro in that year-old article ran up against other Wintel laptops at the same price level, except for the 'Cheapest" laptop award. A bunch ( of the PC's) were higher priced, even.

Apple is the sole manufacturer of MacBooks.
PCs have numerous manufacturers.
Of course, you can find someone like Alienware who will charge you an insane premium for a kickass laptop..
Or you can be smart and go with someone like ibuypower.com.

Or you can be even smarter and build your own. Its cheaper and you end up getting a more reliable system, PC, or Mac. Or Both in a single comp.

Anyway, give me OS X in any form over Vista/XP any day.....

Theres nothing majorly wrong with OSX.
But theres nothing majorly wrong with Vista or XP, either. I've stated numerous points you just ignore in your Mac-rants. XP is an incredibly reliable operating system and it is very highly respected in the IT world.

continue with your ridiculous rants about how bad mac's are....

The only one with ridiculous rants, is you, and its about PCs.
Macs are essentially PCs nowadays. And your points on the faults of the operating systems are ridiculous. Hardware is hardware, unless your OS is complete and utter ****, its going to run applications almost exactly the same, regardless if its XP, MacOS or Linux.

This isn't 1998 where Windows was still based off of MS-DOS and Macs had IBM's PPC processors.

The only major difference between MacOS and Windows XP, is how it looks. Thats it.
More spyware and viruses are made for Windows, but much less software is made for MacOS. Thats the tradeoff. Take it from someone in the Computer Repair industry: Don't open ******* executables and you're 99&#37; safe from that **** anyway.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Don't open ******* executables and you're 99% safe from that **** anyway.

Reply]
Yup, good advice! Also, if you download a single song, and the time stamp says it's a 20 minute song, don't open it. Or worse, if the time stamp is small, but the actual size of the song is like that of an album, don't play the song.

David Jamieson
11-18-2008, 10:26 AM
let's also not forget what the world runs on computer-wise.

It's PC's folks, not macs.

lets not forget the value of 'windows for warships'. It's an OS that I would like to have, but the hardware to run it is really expensive...and dangerous. lol

Yao Sing
11-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Hahahahahaha......

-David

I would run OS X on a PC long before I'd put Vista on a Mac. That's just bottom of the barrel computing.

Even Apple agrees, which id why they currently put OS X on a PC box stamped as a Mac. The only thing Apple ever had going for them was the OS.

brothernumber9
11-19-2008, 06:06 AM
The only thing Apple ever had going for them was the OS.

Not true. Before PC's had FPU's integrated, the Motorolla 80X0 processors were the bees knees. Great text based terminal emulation with very little lag. And let us not forget parity bit memory that some PC's used to run.