PDA

View Full Version : Candle training?

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-16-2001, 10:55 PM
does it do anything at all for power, speed, or focus, or is it just a neat party trick?

where's my beer?

Jaguar Wong
10-16-2001, 11:29 PM
I really don't know, but it either takes a very focused punch, or a really sloppy fanning punch (I've done it both ways...the latter is much easier and it impresses the chicks). Didn't Mas Oyama practice this? I would think he's got some punching power, but I'm sure he developed it in other ways (makiwara/tamashiwara).

Jaguar Wong

atsai
10-17-2001, 12:14 AM
I usually just blow out the candles. Are there any training that teach you to light a candle w/ punches? ;)

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art Tsai " onClick="parent.location='http://people.we.mediaone.net/arttsai/home.html'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

RedDragon
10-17-2001, 12:18 AM
how do u punch out candles? i wanna try and punch out all my birthday candles this year :D

"United We Stand, Divided We Fall."

Stranger
10-17-2001, 02:07 AM
Mas Oyama did practice this.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

joedoe
10-17-2001, 02:10 AM
I tried punching out a candle once but it fought back :(

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Ryu
10-17-2001, 02:10 AM
When I was younger I actually did do this! :D

After some reflection though, sadly, I suspect it was just wind being blown by my palm instead of "Chi" :D

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to "choke out" a candle. ;)

Ryu

http://www.jkdu.co.za/pics/logos/jkduhpma1.gif

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

joedoe
10-17-2001, 02:12 AM
Well the candle I tried to punch out ended up mounting me and doing the ground and pound. Then before I knew it he had me in a rear naked choke and I was gone ... :D

You're fu(king up my chi

kwokfist
10-17-2001, 02:16 AM
trad. stylists say its your Chi vibrating from your speeding fist and disrupting the flame, cancelling it out.

But, most stylists nowadays who do it have just found a deceiving, convincing way of putting out the flame by pushing as much air against it as possible and making your punch really really fast.

Longquan
10-17-2001, 03:32 AM
The candle thing is soooo stupid in my opinion. It is the withdrawal that puts it out. Wave a candle slow mo back and forth (not to slow mo). It goes out.

Now if you can put out a tire fire...

atsai
10-17-2001, 03:57 AM
I'd like to see people punch out flame from a zippo.

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art Tsai " onClick="parent.location='http://people.we.mediaone.net/arttsai/home.html'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

buddhistfist
10-17-2001, 04:48 AM
It shows something when you can do it from 10 to 20 feet away like some sifu's I have heard about.Most people can do it from a foot or two if they know how to punch properly

Kevin73
10-17-2001, 06:28 AM
I have never heard anything about your "chi" having anything to do with it. It was used to train throwing a snapping technique properly, the punch comes back twice as fast and if you do that it will extinguish the flame.

Yes, it's a good tool for developing focus and distance (too close and hot wax is all over the place). but it is not for developing power.

"God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

YiLiQuan1
10-17-2001, 06:46 AM
It has absolutely NOTHING to do with qi. Perhaps those who stand still focusing their non-moving punch/palm strike/etc. at the flame envisioning the flame extinguishing under the force of their qi are doing something that deals with qi, but actually punching AT the flame in order to extinguish it deals ONLY with developing the speed of the technique.

In order to "blow out" the candle, you have to push the air ahead of your technique. This means that your technique must move faster than the air can "slide" out from in front of it. In order to do this, you have to strike VERY quickly. (You will notice in no time that punches are easy, but knife hands, spear hands, etc. are MUCH harder to execute successfully due to their smaller surface area, thus requiring a significantly faster strike).

This is an excellent training technique, especially so for internal stylists. It is nearly impossible to consistently put out the flame if you tense the strike AT ALL. In our school, the litmus test is at least 10 out of 10 putting out the flame. If you do 8 and pooch it, start over at 1. 10 out of 10 is the standard. When you can do that, you will find your technique is pretty sharp...

Good training! :cool:

Matt Stone

IronFist
10-17-2001, 07:26 AM
So you just put a candle on a table at chest height and then punch at it? From how far away do you start?

Iron

Repulsive Monkey
10-17-2001, 01:30 PM
Here we go with another can of worms!!!! It all depends on whether or not you're gonna put it out with external techniques or Internal ones.
Externally you will develop the ability to snap out short range fast punches I guess in order to create vast wind to blow it out. Internally you shouldn't move an inch or tense your muscles, and you would create the force to put it out internally with Qi. That used to be the test of an Internal Master, an acknowledged act of Yang Lu chan.

Kevin73
10-17-2001, 04:06 PM
When I started candle training I started close so my punch was only about an inch from the flame and then when I was consistant with that I would move back until I could do it from a couple feet away. I've also used elbows and backfists to work on this also.

Like someone else said it is very good training to help keep you relaxed because if you get uptight while doing it you can't. I used to get really tense from trying so hard to get the flame out. It gives good feedback all around

"God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-17-2001, 08:32 PM
good stuff guys.

i was allot better at doing this about 6 years back.

i built up (or back) to being able to extinguish it from about 3 feet away. maybe a little more but not much. it actually didn't take all that long to be able to do it either. it's hard to remember for sure but i think it took me about a month to be able to do from that distance. it wasn't every time though. i got it about one out of every 5 or 6 tries ... sometimes it would take even more tries. you could also divide my successes from that distance by 3 for all the times i cheated and threw out an open handed backfist that stopped with my fist in line with the candle. i ended up stopping because my elbows always felt like hell the following day. i think this is because i didnt know how to punch properly at the time . . i'd over extend.

one thing that bothered me though is all the mention of speed as a requirement. at first it definately was, but when i was albe to extinguish the flame from about 2 feet i could also do so with a fairly slow punch at about a foot away. no cheating ... straight verticle fist punch. it wasnt super slow but not even close to being called a fast punch. i'll mess around with this again, now that i wont destroy my elbows doing so.

it may be a little while before i can give results though. i'm doing it from about 6' to a foot away again. it also takes me lots of tries because i get frustrated with it real quick which makes me tense. perhaps this will also be a good lesson im patience which i tend to be extremely deficient in.

where's my beer?

IronFist
10-17-2001, 08:41 PM
But I heard you can't wear a long sleeve shirt when you're doing it because that will create wind. So I guess you gotta do it in a wife beater (for anyone who doesn't know, a "wife beater" is the kind of shirt that has no sleeves, also called an "A-neck" shirt. It's kind of like what big guys wear to the gym to lift in)

Iron

Sum Sing Wong
10-17-2001, 10:22 PM
I have been doing the past few days just for fun. I thought I was just being dumb, at least thats what my mom said.

Johnny Hot Shot
10-17-2001, 11:07 PM
Wife beater = Tank top.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

Tora
10-17-2001, 11:16 PM
I did this in a Kyokushin Dojo a few times. Reverse punch at a candle and blow it out. Someone else said it was the retract that blows it out. We did it without any retract. The punch was held at the focus point in front of the flame. It’s kind of interesting but I don’t know how valuable it is. My take is it was more about the focus of the blow than speed. I saw some very fast people that lacked focus that had problems with it. It’s that pop right at the end that does it IMO.

It’s kind of interesting and fun. A good diversion and you may even learn something from it. But I wouldn’t make it a regular part of my training. Your time is better spent sparring or on a heavy bag or makiwara.

ATENG
10-18-2001, 03:57 AM
"It shows something when you can do it from 10 to 20 feet away like some sifu's I have heard about"

oh do tell... :rolleyes:

"It's all fun and games til someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun."

Budokan
10-18-2001, 06:35 AM
You fools. It's not the candle, it's the cake the candle is on.

Must we have this same old tired argument every time...?

K. Mark Hoover

honorisc
10-18-2001, 08:10 AM
Crane's beak is the standard I comprehended for this. Internally just point. Strike of any sort, don't retract (for breathing). Understanding your breathing is the point of this~. Have different thoughts about your punching more so, breathe differently throughout the strike, and at the end of the strike. Try to isolate what works. Then do that.~ Also, besides different kicks and punches use a staff, punching the staff tip and comming down, still in front of the candle...

Could be *******ized into a party trick. Do it! see what it does for you. (It's developmental. :~>-ish

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

WongFeHung
10-18-2001, 10:59 PM
Here's a good variation, extinguish the flame by doing a palm up chop passing over it. When you can consitantly blow out (actually the strike creates a vaccuum that sucks it out)four lined up, you are ready to chop the neck off a whiskey bottle-one of those that tapers at the neck and flares out like Johnny Walker. I did the candle thing, but I'm afraid to do the bottle, figuring I'd gash my hand up...so you guys try it first, okay?

JWTAYLOR
10-18-2001, 11:02 PM
What keeps the bottle from just flying away?

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Wongsifu
10-18-2001, 11:48 PM
jwt i guess its some sort of weird formula that dictates that the speed which is needed to break the neck is higher than some constant of gravit + weight of the bottle ???

so if your hand is higher than this speed it breaks it ...

Anyhow , i read in suzuki's autobiography that he used to practise this daily as one of his punching excercises and i wouldnt like to be on the end of one of his strikes , so it must work :)

he also advocates kicking with metal boots on ...

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

WongFeHung
10-19-2001, 12:26 AM
the bottles are half filled for weight,Miyagi did it to a Heineken bottle-not Chojun Miyagi,the other Miyagi- Daniel-san's sensei.

Stacey
12-02-2001, 04:35 AM
I don't have the amazing skill of Rich Mooney, but I have done chi kung for a number of years. One of the things I've gained is the ability to relax, this has taught me to put snap in my punches, casing the air movement to blow the candle out. Normally I can jab a candle out at 6 inches and in a deep bow stance I can do it (on occasion) at 12. The best I've done is 14 inches.

Anybody else do this as part of their traditional training?

Carpe Diem.

http://www.freesmutserver.com/buh/jt24/tn_s05_jpg.jpg

joedoe
12-02-2001, 04:41 AM
I can knock out a whole room full of people from the other side of the room with a single bowel movement :D

You're fu(king up my chi

Starchaser107
12-02-2001, 04:43 AM
I can leap tall buildings in a single bound

"everything is everything"_W.Rodney

Stacey
12-02-2001, 04:43 AM
thats......cute. :o

Carpe Diem.

rubthebuddha
12-02-2001, 04:45 AM
i can pee on a candle and put it out from several feet away.

-rtb

rubthebuddha
12-02-2001, 04:45 AM
i love this: it says thank you for contributing to this forum after a comment like that!

-rtb

Martial Joe
12-02-2001, 04:46 AM
:rolleyes:

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

joedoe
12-02-2001, 04:50 AM
With my last post - if you use this technique make sure there are no candles nearby otherwise you could have an explosion :D

You're fu(king up my chi

prana
12-02-2001, 06:09 AM
What is that smell ??!!!

Prana looks around..... :D

Om Namo Bhagawate Bhekanzyai
Guru Bendurya prabha randzaya
Tathagata arhate samyaksam buddhaya tayata om Bhekanzyai Bhekanzyai Maha Bhekanzyai Randza Samudgate Soha

truewrestler
12-02-2001, 06:13 AM
I can blow out a candle from 6 feet away. Combined with my bad breath I'm ready for any attacker. ABandit, can I train with you to learn a defence for anyone attacking my arse!?!?

rogue
12-02-2001, 06:22 AM
I can turn off my TV and all the lamps in my bedroom by just clapping my hands!

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

joedoe
12-02-2001, 06:23 AM
I thought you liked guys attacking your arse :D

When you can snatch the cupcake from my hand, you will be ready to leave the temple :D

You're fu(king up my chi

Martial Joe
12-02-2001, 06:54 AM
:D

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

Jeff Liboiron
12-02-2001, 07:01 AM
I can take off my leg and beat people with it!!

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

- Where's my Mook?

anerlich
12-02-2001, 07:30 AM
Some of you guys apparently need reminding that discharging intestinal gases near naked flames is courting disaster.

And that DOES mean dis-A$$-ter. ;)

I guess if I ever get attacked by a guy with a lit candle I'd wish I'd developed Stacey's skills.

Richie
12-02-2001, 07:31 AM
8 inches is my best, but I have not seriously done that since I was a teenager.

For traditional kung fu go to www.taishingpekkwar.com (http://www.taishingpekkwar.com)

Starchaser107
12-02-2001, 07:38 AM
Ok seriously I used to do that for fun and to enhance my training , wasnt really taught it per se just read it in a mag somewhere and me and a few other people decided to try it out. Not sure I got the mechanics right but at least i got the candle out on more than one attempt. Just how do you measure it though, is it the exact distance from your fully extended fist to the actual candle or what. I did this in horse stance is this the proper way?

"everything is everything"_W.Rodney

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-02-2001, 08:13 AM
i can do it.

i used to be able to do it from a nice little distance . .. i found it doesnt really take that much practice but it's kinda cool.

where's my beer?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-02-2001, 08:16 AM
richie. .

i was real serious about it in highschool too.

i did alright with it but it realy hurt my elbows, so i'm not sure that i was doing it right.

i cant do it from as far now, but my joints feel intact.

where's my beer?

straight blast
12-02-2001, 12:38 PM
Depends on the type of candle. I can knock out a Tae Kwon Do candle from a fair distance away, but those bloody BJJ candles just keep taking me to the mat. :D
Acutally on a more serious note I used to do it in church until I knocked over the easter candle & smashed it. They only get one a year & it's supposed to last for a year. Man I was not popular. Those things are not cheap, and they are about four feet high.
So I stopped doing it.

"Forfeit the game
Before somebody else takes you out of the frame
And puts your name to shame
Cover up your face
You can't run the race
The pace is too fast,
You just won't last!"

Wongsifu
12-02-2001, 02:36 PM
hey am i the only one in here who can actually light the candle from several inches away ??? :D

This is because THC is not an alkaloid. It does not contain a nitrogen atom, therefore it is a terpenophenolic compound

northern_fist
12-02-2001, 04:01 PM
I heard of this before and I always reply the same everytime I hear of someone bragging ( not saying you are ) about themselves or their grandmaster being able to do this.

I could walk up to the candle and blow it out , this works every time without failure.

Goes to show how much time is wasted on doing unproductive things.

If you have amazing chi. Use it to help others don't blow out candles

Stacey
12-02-2001, 04:04 PM
Richie Z is the man. I also do it for fun, I did it for one of my kung fu testings, but I was just wonering if this was pretty widely used or at least played with.

Carpe Diem.

rogue
12-02-2001, 04:14 PM
"Candles don't hit back" Bob Lee in Exit the Dragon

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

Stacey
12-02-2001, 04:23 PM
no, but the ribbed ones can be fun.

Carpe Diem.

Nichiren
12-02-2001, 04:36 PM
Stop it guys! You are killing me... :D

Kristoffer
12-02-2001, 04:54 PM
blowing candles..? Never tried it, sounds like child games to me :p

~K~
"maybe not in combat.. but think of the chicks man, the chicks!" -- someone on the subject of back-flips in combat --

old jong
12-02-2001, 04:55 PM
Jeff... :D :D :D

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

Buby
12-02-2001, 05:13 PM
"No, but the ribbed ones can be fun." I'm saying! I own a couple of ribbed ones. :D

Buby

Yo Dogs ya bes chill
Cause I flip like sifu Gary and his Yau Kung Mun click, wit two kicks and three pheonix fists
Trust dukes
your gonna split from the ging running through the wrist.

truewrestler
12-02-2001, 05:14 PM
well, wouldn't an open hand strike be more effective against the candle...? or maybe a saliva covered finger tip pinch dim mak strike?

Godzilla
12-02-2001, 06:13 PM
I know a nurse who works the emergency room in NYC. She told me one of the most painful and ridiculous things she has seen was a man with a rather large ‘star’ candle sticking out his arse!

His lover melted the wax and slid the melting candle into his widely stretched buttocks. The candle, comfortably filling the gapping hole, hardened!

A man has HAIR on, in and around his heiny hole!!!

The candle’s wax HELD FAST onto these hairs preventing its removal. WHAT TO DO?!?

A trip to the hospital seemed to be the best idea. I never found out how the candle was removed. But my friend just shook her head in disbelief.

Peace,
Godzilla

Chang Style Novice
12-02-2001, 06:14 PM
uhhh...Nair, then Astro-glide?

jun_erh
12-03-2001, 03:21 AM
Stacey, will you come to my house? :D

respectmankind
12-03-2001, 03:37 AM
In my honest opinion, this is stupid. Excuse me for 5 minutes. :) P.S. Where did you hear that story about me and the NY Emergency room?

"Alright you primative screw heads listen up, see this, this is my BOOM STICK! 12 gauge double barrel Rimington, S-Marts top of the line. You can find this in a sporting goods department. Thats right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails about, 109.95, its got a walnut stock, kolbolt blue steal, and a hair trigger. Thats right, shop smart, shop S-Mart, YOU GOT THAT?!? Now I swear, the next one of you primates, even touches me..." - Bruce Campbell, Army of Darkness.

Stacey
12-03-2001, 04:20 AM
sure June Ehr, just tell me where you live and give me your phone number.

Why though? Do you live in NJ?

Carpe Diem.

stonecrusher69
09-06-2004, 08:02 PM
I was woudering how many people here practice candle punching and at what level you where introduced to it?I did not learn it until much later in my trainning althought I seen it in a few W.C books.

anerlich
09-06-2004, 08:34 PM
I tried it as a kid, but messed up and ended up trashing my little brother's birthday cake. Boy, was my Mum furious ... :eek:

Seriously, I can't see the value rather than as a diversion. Trying to hit bags or the dummy, or sparmates, would seem to give better, more direct, training results. What attributes does it develop? What attributes which couldn't be better developed by more conventional means?

Unless you're training for no touch knockouts :rolleyes:

stonecrusher69
09-07-2004, 09:23 PM
candle punching is similiar to the paper hitting method.The paper method is hader thought.It 's used to develope soft power.

Hendrik
09-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by stonecrusher69
I was woudering how many people here practice candle punching and at what level you where introduced to it?I did not learn it until much later in my trainning althought I seen it in a few W.C books.

You need to go high tech now a days; tries to do LED light punch. so you cannot blow it off with the mouth or Ki-ai. :D

anerlich
09-07-2004, 10:19 PM
It 's used to develope soft power.

Define "soft power", and explain its value please.

Will soft power allow you to crush stones? or will only hard Qi do that job?

Phil Redmond
09-07-2004, 10:32 PM
It's simply a crowd pleaser like standing on eggs, laying on a bed of nails, breaking bricks, ect. Bricks can be pre-cut, candles can have timed wicks, standing on eggs and laying on a bed of nails are simply based on physics. These things have nothing to do with real fighting.

Miles Teg
09-07-2004, 11:09 PM
In my best Bruce Lee voice:

Bewy goo, ba candol doe hit bak!

quiet man
09-08-2004, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Miles Teg
In my best Bruce Lee voice:

Bewy goo, ba candol doe hit bak!

:D That's hilarious, Miles!

(wasn't that scene really cut out from the original 'Enter the Dragon?) :D

El Tejon
09-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Have never done it. My sifu used to have fun with it (i.e. *venerable HK kung fu movie master voice* "behave or you will punch candle for next hour!", inter alia).

However, he did have us punch paper during my "basic training" many moons ago.:eek:

saltydeath
11-16-2008, 01:28 PM
There are three candle training techniques that I know about. The first one is to stare at a candle for a while in a darkened room. Does this make everyone's eyes start to produce tears, or is it just me? And is this bad for you? Then there's the one where you try to put out a candle with a punch about five inches from the candle. If anyone has any tips on how to do this I'd like to hear, because it seems impossible to me. Then there's the one where you try to direct your chi through your fingers and make a candle move. Does anyone know of any other techniques, or have advice on how to practice these techniques better?

David Jamieson
11-16-2008, 04:16 PM
no offense but... :rolleyes:

who sold you that? lol

Oso
11-16-2008, 05:23 PM
i trained with this for years, works great (http://www.viewpoints.com/images/review/2007/148/22/1180409402-38297_full.jpg)

Mr Punch
11-16-2008, 05:29 PM
You may have heard of the paper punching exercise too. Some schools hold a piece of paper up vertically and punch close to it causing it to go horizontal with the sheer energy of the punch.

In my school we hold the paper up in front of a burning candle. The first strike is to rip a hole in the paper. The really skilled among us do this without touching it. The second strike is to use our energy to horizontalize the paper, which causes it to catch fire. We then do a leaping forward breakfall through the burning hoop made in the paper and use the ball of chi energy caused by our flying bodies to put out the candle, the paper, and our hair/saffron robes. This flow of chi training is done within one second (that's the two strikes and the roll). A1 size paper is best, but the most advanced level seniors have the sensitivity to do it with a piece of A4.

taai gihk yahn
11-16-2008, 05:51 PM
In my school we hold the paper up in front of a burning candle. The first strike is to rip a hole in the paper. The really skilled among us do this without touching it. The second strike is to use our energy to horizontalize the paper, which causes it to catch fire. We then do a leaping forward breakfall through the burning hoop made in the paper and use the ball of chi energy caused by our flying bodies to put out the candle, the paper, and our hair/saffron robes. This flow of chi training is done within one second (that's the two strikes and the roll). A1 size paper is best, but the most advanced level seniors have the sensitivity to do it with a piece of A4.

it's obvious you are lying - anyone with the true skill knows that after the leaping forward breakfall you end up standing on one toe on top of the extinguished candle...

anyway, that is the yang aspect of the practice; the yin aspect is here (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6304447980554417691)

No_Know
12-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Striking at the flame with a Crane's beak. Striking at the flame with a heel kick. Striking at the flame with a roundhouse kick (toes pointed, ball of foot). Strike with poking part of snakehead (flathand). Strike with Snake tail--Leopard's fist, index finger extended. Strike with Phoenix-eye fist. Strike with Dragon's head fist. Strike with palm heel. Strike with palm center. Strike with kneestrike with heel (back kick). Strike with bottom of foot or heel (side kick). Strike with backfist. Strike with the Leopard fist. Strike with tiger claw. Strike with Leopard paw. Strike with elbow (horizontal (forward, backward), vertical (forward, backward). Strike with headbutt. Strike with pole/staff. Strike with tonfa/tuifa. Strike with sai (thrust). Strike with side of palm heel. Strike with side of palm.

These are merely done as close as needed without touching the wick or flame. An inch away is standard start. As you understand the force and breathing blend with positioning/technique learn those things for a new distance. Be back as far as your skill allows. Skill come in consistantly extinquishing from as far back as you are able. My method of successful is within five attempts per time; ten times in a row. Then a little far ther back (really little).

No_Know

David Jamieson
12-05-2008, 06:05 AM
seriously.

this is nonsense and will develop no skill whatsoever other than a bizarre way to put candles out. :p

SimonM
12-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Candles don't punch back.

BentMonk
12-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Master Smith from SD can put out a candle from three feet away with a palm strike and a punch. I saw this a few times in person, not on video. He wasn't whipping his hand to generate more air flow either. Both strikes were straight out. I attended a seminar where he taught the technique, it was free BTW. (have to get my jabs on the SD haters :D) He said that the candle is just a fun way to develop good snap and power in your techniques, and can be used as a basic way to practice directing your internal energy. He also said that the best way to increase your own energy flow was through consistent meditation and practicing the internal MAs constantly. The belief in Qi has been discussed to death. You either believe it, or you don't. I have seen enough with my own eyes from Master Smith, Master Green, and other MAs outside of SD to convince me that there is something more to it all than just good body mechanics, but I don't think that there is anyone out there who's going to bust out some Dragonball Z crap either. This is JMO. It and a dollar will get you a soda. Have fun and don't burn yourself. Peace.

bawang
12-05-2008, 09:22 AM
hi this is to train explosive power but mainly train the eyes, you punch where you look
my advice is to move more away from the candel, putting it out isnt the goal if someone puts it out theyre probably using a trick

GLW
12-05-2008, 09:40 AM
The candle punching is very standard for styles that focus on Fa Jing.

You have to focus the power to the part of the hand...nothing mystical at all. The more focused you can be with the strike...

You are actually creating a focused column of air with the strike. A sloppy one is not concentrated and so won't put out the candle. (It is NOT a swooshing of air)

Done correctly, the flame just sort of disappears instead of leaning over and going out.

Open hand strike, punch, knife edge...and then you CAN try the kicking...but feet are harder.

You have to be totally relaxed, issue the Fa Jing whipping motion, and then AIM... doing that with the hand is one thing. With the foot, your whole body has to be totally supple...or you have to know a really good chiropractor...you will need him.

Lucas
12-05-2008, 09:44 AM
for staring at the candle. i know there is a training method similar that is to stare at the smoke off of incense.

the training is for you visual perception.

if your eyes are constantly training to watch rapidly changing movement it can help your visual perception time.

you can also do this by sparring.

i like to hit my heavy bag.

sanjuro_ronin
12-05-2008, 09:52 AM
You know this is gonna turn into a thread about the kinky uses of candle wax.

BentMonk
12-05-2008, 09:54 AM

Ya just had to go there didn't ya? :D

DRAGONSIHING
12-05-2008, 10:02 AM
So sanjuro ronin, are you going to show us or what? Not fair to just mention some hidden training technique and then not share!

BentMonk
12-05-2008, 10:14 AM
So sanjuro ronin, are you going to show us or what? Not fair to just mention some hidden training technique and then not share!

Please no! Just the thought of the visual has traumatized me! Just say no man...please! :D

Lucas
12-05-2008, 10:34 AM

you forgot to link the picture man :mad:

BM2
12-06-2008, 03:33 AM
Master Smith from SD can put out a candle from three feet away with a palm strike and a punch. I saw this a few times in person, not on video. He wasn't whipping his hand to generate more air flow either. Both strikes were straight out. I attended a seminar where he taught the technique, it was free BTW. (have to get my jabs on the SD haters :D) He said that the candle is just a fun way to develop good snap and power in your techniques, and can be used as a basic way to practice directing your internal energy. He also said that the best way to increase your own energy flow was through consistent meditation and practicing the internal MAs constantly. The belief in Qi has been discussed to death. You either believe it, or you don't. I have seen enough with my own eyes from Master Smith, Master Green, and other MAs outside of SD to convince me that there is something more to it all than just good body mechanics, but I don't think that there is anyone out there who's going to bust out some Dragonball Z crap either. This is JMO. It and a dollar will get you a soda. Have fun and don't burn yourself. Peace.

I only wish I knew what happened to my VHS tape from sometime in the '80s of the demo with the candle by Master Smith. He performed this with his gi top off and his mouth taped so no one could say he was blowing it out.
He would do a little warm up of his raising his shoulder and dropping the heel of his palm at the candle. He was so fast that only by playing the tape back frame by frame could you see that what occured was he put the candle out by pushing the air in front of him with his palm till his arm was fully extended and then he snapped his hand down straight at the candle. He withdrew his arm straight back and snapped his hand up when he got back to the starting position. While in real time it looked like he put the candle out at about three feet or so, it was really less. It was most impressive how quick he really was.

No_Know
12-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Some Candle Practice Fists (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=47755113)

No_Know

No_Know
12-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Extinguishing a Candle Flame by a punch by No_Know (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=47936645)

No_Know

Matt Stone
12-14-2008, 05:44 PM
There's something to be said for the physical development that can be had from something as simple as trying to punch out a candle's flame. The cardio benefit alone can be significant.

That being said, the whole "put the candle out with your qi" nonsense is just so much mumbo-jumbo.

The power that is generated has far less to do with "qi" than it does with the physical development, focus, and speed generated by punching repeatedly, dozens and dozens, even hundreds and hundreds, of times.

No need for complex, fanciful explanations based on magic powers. Just good old fashioned training.

IronFist
05-02-2009, 09:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCaTUmgWD6I&feature=related

Someone was all "whatever dude that's fake, why don't you put out a kerosene lamp then?"

So he did here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mHgfLbXJeU&feature=channel_page

also said:

Brother Iron Palm is just a catch phrase. Iron Palm is the foundation to all of the advanced (poison hand) skills. Technically this is more of a vibrational training. This comes from the John (Wing-Lok) Ng family style, a clan of bodyguards in Fujin China. Basically it has been kept a secret from the world until it was published in Inside Kung Fu in 2002 and until my brothers and myself put it on youtube.

wat

AdrianK
05-02-2009, 10:20 PM
If only the guy had an education, he'd realize its not chi he's projecting... its ****ing air... ugh...

Ngfamilymember
05-02-2009, 10:22 PM
:)

Train Hard,
-Ngfamilymember

IronFist
05-02-2009, 10:49 PM
how does he do it through the glass, then?

AdrianK
05-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Are you serious?

Theres an opening at the top of the glass.

He's pushing air downward not only into the glass, but onto the glass.

Aside from the air travelling downward, the other air travels up the glass and into the opening at the top.

Lets see him do it without that top being open and then we'll talk...

Violent Designs
05-03-2009, 01:55 AM
**** you you mother****ing ***got.

Kansuke
05-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Put down the bottle and sleep it off, kid.

ghostexorcist
05-03-2009, 03:36 AM
Kind of reminds me of that douche with the bowl hair cut that the Amazing Randy outed as a fraud, except this guy doesn't know it.

David Jamieson
05-03-2009, 05:30 AM
lol +3 to this bit.

IronFist
05-03-2009, 09:54 AM
I tried it last night using a candle and I couldn't put it out. Guess I don't have magical qi shooting iron palm :(

:D

IronFist
05-03-2009, 01:32 PM
so what you're saying is it wouldn't work in a vacuum where there's no air.

IronWeasel
05-03-2009, 01:45 PM
so what you're saying is it wouldn't work in a vacuum where there's no air.

The part that wouldn't work would be getting the candle LIT while it's in the vacuum.

THAT would be a good trick!

IronFist
05-03-2009, 06:29 PM
The part that wouldn't work would be getting the candle LIT while it's in the vacuum.

THAT would be a good trick!

Get your logic and rational thought outta here! This is a qi blasts thread!

IronWeasel
05-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Get your logic and rational thought outta here! This is a qi blasts thread!

Oh. Yeah. Sorry.

(hangs head, walks away slowly):(

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-03-2009, 11:02 PM
as teenagers we used to do that with a closed fist. we actually worked up to getting fairly far away from the candle too. i want to say around two feet or so, but maybe it wasn't quite that far.

we knew we were pushing air at the candle though. we just thought it was cool anyway.

David Jamieson
05-04-2009, 06:24 AM
anyone who doesn't understand this to be air pressure exerted on the flame should be forced to return to school for remedial classes in grade 6 science.

period.

qi projection? the idiocy of that knows no bounds.

shame on them for demonstrating such a high level of ignorance.

Yao Sing
05-04-2009, 06:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCaTUmgWD6I&feature=related

Someone was all "whatever dude that's fake, why don't you put out a kerosene lamp then?"

That dude needs one of those trick candles that doesn't go out so he doesn't wear he thumb out on the lighter.

Notice in the second clip that to put it out his hand has to drop a little lower so the air can move UNDER the glass. The first couple of times he was too high and the glass was blocking most of the airflow.

Bet he could win a few bucks in a bar though.

No_Know
05-04-2009, 07:36 AM
I was looking around for a lamp to chech if it had access to the flame from the underneath. The glass caught my ey (yeowch yes it hurt) and there seemed a dark spot that I wondered if it was a hole in the glass. But also notice-able is how he picks the wick height. I wondered if some might be low enough to soon go out on its own. Also cannot see under half of the table or anything that might be behind the lamp at that angle. I wondered if the table got shook too like by his stance and the jolt from a sudden stop (I should look more to see what I think on that).

Hand position, Fingers up for a candle flame but side for a lamp. You might reposition for landing a strike. But a strike that does not land to hit might not should be repositioned for the same tagets--a flame (behind air, behind paper, behind glass.

Anyone who pushes might be getting some qi in that but when it's mostly qi it less effort proportionally I might think. And my understanding of qi directing practice with a flame actually requires a still-ish hand that merely seems to point. Issue the qi and the fame flickers eventually going out and you go back an inch or so. Issue flicker out, back some...ten feet Issue flicker out close to and inch or two again but set-up paper to be between you and the flame. Point and issue...ten feet. Same routine, but now with a lamp (that's how it seemed to go in the book "Unseen Mind Force of Kung Fu)." Since people are not bare in a fight or there might be barriers the least of which is clothes that might affect the qi penetration, supposedly.

No_Know

Lucas
05-04-2009, 09:32 AM
well of course its the air being pushed by the hand.

but wait, isnt qi another word for the air?

So, i is qi manipulation after all LOL

;):p:D

David Jamieson
05-04-2009, 09:43 AM
well of course its the air being pushed by the hand.

but wait, isnt qi another word for the air?

So, i is qi manipulation after all LOL

;):p:D

not "air" but "breath".

the context is different as well.

taai gihk yahn
05-04-2009, 09:47 AM
this is so ridiculously easy to verify: take a 1" wide solid piece of plexiglass that is 3' x 3', put it in between candle and "qi man"; watch "qi man" try to put candle out (hint: bring a lawn chair and some snacks, as it may be a while...:rolleyes:)

Lucas
05-04-2009, 01:29 PM
not "air" but "breath".

the context is different as well.

i have read the wind and air functions described as qi as well...

its not only air as in breath..but on a planetary scale, we can get cosmic if you want......

Lucas
05-04-2009, 01:30 PM
this is so ridiculously easy to verify: take a 1" wide solid piece of plexiglass that is 3' x 3', put it in between candle and "qi man"; watch "qi man" try to put candle out (hint: bring a lawn chair and some snacks, as it may be a while...:rolleyes:)

not if hes david blain :eek:

Scott R. Brown
05-04-2009, 02:38 PM
If it were Qi he wouldn't need to move his hand!

It would be very simple to prove it is Qi by simply doing the same thing without moving his hand, and covering his mouth and nose, none of which he does.

Lucas
05-04-2009, 03:13 PM
he still has to do the eyebrow thing. its manditory

B-Rad
05-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Doesn't having an open chimney make it even easier to put the candle out? He's at a pretty high angle in relation to the lamp.

David Jamieson
05-05-2009, 12:02 PM
i have read the wind and air functions described as qi as well...

its not only air as in breath..but on a planetary scale, we can get cosmic if you want......

let's not get cosmic, but say we did. :p

wutymes
08-29-2010, 07:45 AM
My background is in baguazhang. based on interest in further developing fa jin, I recently took up candle training, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

I noticed at first that what I thought was more internal, was actually probably external. The candle wouldn't go out, even though I kept getting faster and more explosive (at least in my perception). Once in about 20 trials I might get lucky from an inch. Then I relaxed, and even slowed down, and it was to be honest, much easier. From about 8 inches, I put it out twice. The flame didn't move at all, just sort of went out instantly.

Now I've heard that some people did candle training to train the speed of the fist. based on my tests, speed really has no relation, except that maybe it draws in wind. Keep in mind that these people are not necessarily experts, and could have just as easily misinterpreted the training. Besides, I never began this with those intentions.

So what can I do to make sure that I am on the right track?

jdhowland
08-29-2010, 08:15 AM
This kind of training may be worthless unless you are using the same techniqe that you use for real punching. Try punching a heavy bag a few thousand times and then see if the candle goes out with that kind of punch.

It's easy to put out a candle flame with a light snapping action, but how much mass are you really accelerating into the target? I think this kind of training is all right for those trying to learn how to relax more with their strikes. Otherwise it is only a stunt.

Consider how your system teaches power development for punching. Then study your own habits and talents to see if they are in agreement. When you find the kind of mechanics that are right for you, see if pushing air around offers any good feedback. But I can promise you that putting out candles will not teach you how to punch.

No_Know
08-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Read several examples of what it's supposed to train and talk to several people about what it's for type-of-thing. I say this with respect to what you did andyour hearing others said they used it to train speed of punch.

I think there are people lin jhowland who are dedicated and well veresed in their I want to lean that so I train that training. It's a punch-so (needle-and-thread) puch like you want to when it counts.

Candle training improves focus-My Say. That's why slow works moreoften. I think there is wind blowing and that early stages of punching will not affect an opponent.

Fast or slow, hard or soft the candle is an objective judge of the punch. If your punch is wobbly the flame flickers. When your punch is focused...I No_Know.

Since the flame wick is extinguishable slow as well as fast it is not speed that is the thing. Speed might work but there is something else.

The idea might be to carry this extra in your punch at any speed unless it's a high frequency focu or fine laser punch which means when you can be still or focused in your delivery of your strike it might be something without requiring speed or strength or the such.

No_Know

Phoenix-Eye Fist candle out (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=47936645)

Punch with candle out (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=47945361)

The observable physics of just before and just after should tell what is going on somewhat at least (smoketype, smoke direction, flame, wick...)

No_Know

teetsao
08-29-2010, 02:17 PM
candle training is very relevant to training. especially if you are using and open hand like in bagua as oppsed to the fist. the fist would be nothing more than speed and snap to put the flame put,but the open palm as you experienced,l is much more subtle. i was told it is like sighting in a rifle,as if you are even just a little off, it will not go out.
just as you stated ,just relax. it is making sure you are linking and stacking and have all your internal proper. it has nothing to do with qi and is not mystical. it works more off vibration,and this is one of the begining stages to developing it. we go into this in our iron palm dvd. after you master the candle,next comes the second stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mHgfLbXJeU

this is much more difficult and you will really learn to be on target.it takes awhile but you will get it,if everything is in proper alignment. we also discuss and show the proper way of this training on our dvd.
you are training the intent and ging. you MUST focus on the flame and see oyurself putting it outor it wont happen.
now take this training and apply it to your strikes. oyu should hopefully be doing hand conditioning,and possibly some type of "post" or bag training. apply this same method when you strike,use your intent, and in our system we use visualization. different one for different effects.
then as with anything,after practice you can apply this to real life. i just happens automatically. this is how you get real internal damage.
candle training is the first step. keep it up.

teetsao
08-29-2010, 02:20 PM
also let me add. DO NOT use "tea lights" these are not real candles and anyone can do this. use a taper,stick or emergency candle and let it burn for a min. or 2 before trying. dont fool yourself, because that is the only person you are fooling.

No_Know
08-29-2010, 03:49 PM
There's wick and wax and flame adheres...Real candle. Yet My Think is that smaller wicks should be suspect when determining ability for candle extinguishing. Except for that even using tealight candles we can see the flame adheres. If it was so cheap as to not count, any attempt should result in extinguish. But it doesn't.

A palm has greater surface area than a punch. Surface area goes to wind I might think. Glass is supposed to block wind.

As I understand it the practice geoe candle then success until back ten steps/feet; an oil lamp or with glass between person strike and flame. Then finally when you can point at incense~ from ten step/feet and extinguish there is success.

I think physical evidence (not supposition) conveys Truth(s). I did what I did. It looks how it looked. My delusions if any are not any thing here. Had I made claims perhaps the fooling of myself (depending). While there might be fooling of others (and My Say does not count) such was not my attempt) Iwould hope the physics of the video could be evidence.

No_Know

I should respect other students and also especially other-ish Schools. If someone chooses to put-me down I should be careful from geting defensive especially when the claims are untrue. But sometimes standing up with Truth versus attacking in offended might be appropriate.

No_Know

YouKnowWho
08-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Instead of trying to extinguish a candle, you may try to punch a hole through your heavy bag. You have to make sure that you can get the maximum reward from the training time that you invest.

teetsao
08-29-2010, 04:21 PM
i was not trying to put you down. just making constructive critiques, as this is a mainstay in our system. this type of training is not readily found as people disregard it as nonsense. but that just means they dont know. no_know.
sometimes i am short in my responses but i do not mean anything by it. just try to convey in the fewest words.
one more time, you are on the right track, just get a real taper or emergency candle and do the training. after you can do it from 1 foot away keep backing up until at 3 feet. then when you get that i can give you more. also place the candle wick at around chest height,the same area you would be striking in,or a little higher, head plane area, and do the exercise.
dont give up.

mooyingmantis
08-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Anyone remember the guy back in the 80s who claimed to be able to put out a candle covered by a fish tank with his qi? He was featured in BB or IKF mags. I believe he was also on the TV show, That's Incredible.
The Amazing Randi finally showed him for the fraud that he was.

teetsao
08-29-2010, 08:01 PM
r u trying to imply something???

teetsao
08-29-2010, 08:09 PM
this is what you refer to,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sblPQWKHOY

this is obviously a hoax. he was white bu thad surgery to make himself look chinese,because if he was white he would never got on tv to begin with. oh the old reverse rasciem in kung fu,LOL

i remember this as a kid. what we do is nothing like this.

Jorge
08-30-2010, 05:14 AM
Teetsao-
"you are training the intent and ging. you MUST focus on the flame and see oyurself putting it outor it wont happen."

This is how I was taught, with a major stress on the visualization aspect!:)

Bless,

Buby

sanjuro_ronin
08-30-2010, 06:14 AM
Instead of trying to extinguish a candle, you may try to punch a hole through your heavy bag. You have to make sure that you can get the maximum reward from the training time that you invest.

I love the way John thinks :D

Jorge
08-30-2010, 11:12 AM

There is a time and place for everything.:)

Bless,

Buby

Oso
08-30-2010, 02:48 PM
I love the way John thinks :D

yea...i've held back from jumping on this thread all day... :D

donjitsu2
09-26-2010, 06:11 AM
The purpose of candle training is to train the proper recoil. You're strikes need to some "snap" to them.

When you get it right you're teaching your body issue a whip-like, penetrating type of force/strike. This type of strike can really do some damage - even a seemingly light one.

I want to caution against spending too much time with this training method. Once you get it you should only be practicing once a week for (at most) 10 min. Another poster suggested spending most of your time on a heavy bag. This is great advice.

I wrote a blog post on my site about candle training:

3 Ways a Candle can Improve Your Kung Fu! (http://www.uncagedfighter.com/2010/08/3-ways-candle-can-improve-your-kung-fu.html)

Train Hard,
Josh Skinner

Eric Hunstad
09-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Donjitsu2

I like your post.

I learned candle training (candle striking) and it is definitely of benefit, but as you said, once you get it, move on.

My Sifu would line up about 10 candles and we would go down the line putting out the flames with a reverse punch. If we even touched the candle, let alone knocked it over, it was drop and give him 10, get up and move on. It was like a kung fu candle striking assembly line. Those were great times!

Another candle method he taught is candle meditation (I forgot the actual name of this qigong). It is where you stare at the candle in a manner similar to early morning/evening sungazing.

I was taught this as a teen and had a wild experience with it. I was taught how to do it and went home to practice. I had a hard time, but as always I had more persistance than natural talent. After trying to do this every night for who knows how long, one night I had a bizarre experience.

As I was staring at the flame and doing the things I was taught, instead of me looking at the light, suddenly the light entered my eyes and filled my whole body. I felt like I was floating and light was coming out of every pore of my body. It was the most crazy thing I have ever experienced! Then after who knows how long, I snapped out of it and everything was back to normal. After this experience, I doubled my efforts in candle light meditation, but eventually gave up and went on to something else, as I could never duplicate this experience.

And no, I wasn't eating those funny little mushrooms!

Eric Hunstad
www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com

GeneChing
10-19-2012, 09:37 AM
What is 'whisper punch' in Mandarin?

Deadly Blow (http://austriantimes.at/image/33139/news/Around_the_World/2012-10-19/44919/Deadly_Blow)
http://austriantimes.at/picture/usmh2lq7.jpg/Other_kung_fu_masters_really_can%27t_hold_a_candle _to_Chen_Jia.
Other kung fu masters really can't hold a candle to Chen Jia.

Chen has become a sensation in central China after mastering ancient, deadly 'whisper punch' techniques from the Shaolin temple where kung fu began centuries ago.

Dedicated Chen, 23, demonstrates the skill by blowing out a series of candles up to six feet away from him with just the air generated by his punch.

"The punch projects through the air to strike an opponent without you actually laying a finger on him.

"It takes a lot of concentration and accuracy," explained Chen, from Zhengzhou, Henan province.

"I studied at the Shaolin temple for eight years and I want people to know that their skills are real, not just stunts from films of legends," he added.

Jimbo
10-19-2012, 10:05 AM
In Taiwan, I remember reading a Chinese-language book on gongs that had a training method called "yin chuan", which involved standing in horst stance, and punching downward towards a bucket or big bowl of water, in an attempt to cause it to splash from a distance. If I remember right, the book was written by a northern teacher there named Wang Feng-Ting.

*add:
I think the book was about Tongzi Gong (gongs for children).

RickMatz
10-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Since I started candle training, I don't think I'm going to be invited back to any birthday parties any time soon.

JamesC
10-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Any videos of it?

Yoshiyahu
02-08-2013, 03:14 PM
In my Lineage we would Punch the Candle But I have never seen this done before...Is this even possible or real?

Candle Clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4S2gyfHKvs)

Paddington
02-08-2013, 05:01 PM
I have to question whether you are just trying to bait people, such as Ali, Yoshiyahu. You know that clip is one of Ali's, why don't you just PM him and ask?

(that said I've not had Ali answer my PMs to him)

Grumblegeezer
02-08-2013, 07:45 PM
(that said I've not had Ali answer my PMs to him)

Now that's funny!

Paddington
02-09-2013, 06:56 AM
Now that's funny!

Ironic for sure :D

Happy Tiger
02-09-2013, 08:53 AM
How did he know exactly when the candle went out?As evidenced by his body language.

Robinhood
02-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Why do you need to be blind folded to do the trick ?, I guess who ever put out the candle told him it was out or that he could take off his blind fold because it was out, need audio on.

He could get on Conan with that if it was on the up and up. LOL

imperialtaichi
02-09-2013, 09:49 AM
And the point of this training is?

LFJ
02-09-2013, 10:00 AM
He could get on Conan with that if it was on the up and up. LOL

Or a fat check for $1 million from James Randi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlfMsZwr8rc

Happy Tiger
02-09-2013, 10:38 AM
or a fat check for $1 million from james randi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlfmszwr8rc :-) :-) :-)

k gledhill
02-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Candles dont hit baaack ;)

Vajramusti
02-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Yoshiyahu stirring the waters again. ..putting up a Youtube link then asking- what do you think?
Plentiful waste of rime and medium

k gledhill
02-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Ali mentioned he makes $ when guys watch his clips...I feel used and dirty now ;)

Robinhood
02-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Ali mentioned he makes $ when guys watch his clips...I feel used and dirty now ;)

How much?

Can't be much, unless you have a lot of hits.

k gledhill
02-09-2013, 04:27 PM
How much?

Its not the amount its the principle...

wingchunIan
02-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Not sure why he put a table cloth on his head although in all honesty if I put that clip on youtube I'd want my face covered :p
Thought his attempt at shadow puppets was poor as well, was it supposed to be a bird or a dog???? and then to blow out the candle is just plain careless.

Robinhood
02-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Not sure why he put a table cloth on his head although in all honesty if I put that clip on youtube I'd want my face covered :p
Thought his attempt at shadow puppets was poor as well, was it supposed to be a bird or a dog???? and then to blow out the candle is just plain careless.

I think the cloth around the head was to say he was not blowing on it, blindfold ?

Some people will do anything to attract hits.

wtxs
02-09-2013, 09:23 PM
How did he know exactly when the candle went out?As evidenced by his body language.

You dummy ... don't you know he had gain high level of six sense from master the art of blind folder chi sao? Or may be he is given us a con job ... or a blow (out the candle that is) job.:p

LFJ
02-10-2013, 01:01 AM
How much?

He said about $400 a month...

That's why there's a video link in his signature and often in his posts. It's also likely the reason none of his posts make any sense. He just wants to put that bait out there.

I don't know if it still works for him if you use AdBlock, but it's a wonderful thing. :cool:

Happy Tiger
02-10-2013, 06:51 AM
you dummy ... Don't you know he had gain high level of six sense from master the art of blind folder chi sao? Or may be he is given us a con job ... Or a blow (out the candle that is) job.:p :) :) :) :) :)

Robinhood
02-10-2013, 11:23 AM
He said about $400 a month...

That's why there's a video link in his signature and often in his posts. It's also likely the reason none of his posts make any sense. He just wants to put that bait out there.

I don't know if it still works for him if you use AdBlock, but it's a wonderful thing. :cool:

I don't think much of con men, pretty low people on the evolutionary scale.

Now his posts make more sense.

Ali. R
02-10-2013, 05:03 PM
I could see through the kifia that was over my head, in which I’d used to stop any breath that may have escaped towards the piece of furniture that was covered with a table cloth where a basket of flowers once sat. I don’t understand, I just put up a hyperlink just like everyone else did on their sig, and it’s a reason why everyone puts them there, and I did; for that very same reason.

I’m not baiting anyone and I've just noticed that PM someone was talking about within 3hr ago. It’s a real nice question about the wing chun stance in which I could answer. All you had to do is asks me to check my PM box. Rather than dragging me in the mud if you wanted to talked about something civil.

Yoshiyahu
02-11-2013, 02:46 PM
I rather enjoyed the clip...I can punch a candle out but i have no idea how to begin to do that..awesome!

k gledhill
02-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Alternative Qi http://youtu.be/TRqiXYB5wQA

bennyvt
02-12-2013, 06:36 AM
havent seen th clip but puting out a candle is pretty easy. I do it every bday. I was taught yu can cheat, If you do a weak punch but pull your hand back quick it will put it out. But its about the stopping that sends the wind to put it out if doing it properly

Happy Tiger
02-12-2013, 07:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JYGqVA9xc4&playnext=1&list=PLAF5585621F4FCE1F&feature=results_video
The only time I've seen or felt hei is in structure but emission of chi dosen't seem to be quantifiable....why?

GoldenBrain
01-24-2014, 04:02 PM
This is me goofing around in the kitchen of our NC house. We were there a few weeks ago to pack more things to bring to Texas. My wife asked me if I could punch out the flame so of course I obliged.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ2vwu5-7u4

Jimbo
01-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Nice, GB!

Many years ago, I played with doing that a bit, and usually it took a few tries to put the candle out. Only occasionally would I succeed on the first try. The last time I did that, my fist somehow ended up way too close (I thought my focal point was *at least* 4" to 5" away), and it tapped the candle, sending melted wax flying onto the counter.

GoldenBrain
01-25-2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks Jimbo!

I used to do this all the time to bring focus to my striking. Unless it's a raging bonfire of a candle I can normally put them out on the first try, but that wasn't the case when I first started out. Yeah, wax sucks to clean up off a countertop.

I just noticed when replaying this video that there is sound. You have to crank up the volume, and then along with a creaky floor you can actually hear my punch.:cool:

The reason I posted this was to contribute what I could to the forum other than just chit chat. I'm not totally coming out of my anonymous closet, but at least I'm no longer a complete net ghost. I'd post video of the forms I know but I have to honor my Sifu's request to keep them closed door.

Pete
01-25-2014, 07:12 PM
nice! looks like witchcraft :eek:

never tried it myself, hmm...

GoldenBrain
01-25-2014, 07:17 PM
nice! looks like witchcraft :eek:

never tried it myself, hmm...

Just before the punch I did sacrifice a chicken. It was a rotisserie from the grocery store but that's close right.:D

GeneChing
10-13-2016, 09:04 AM
There's a vid if you follow the link.

That's how you play with fire! Incredible footage shows man blowing out 15 candles by punching the AIR (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3834780/That-s-play-fire-Incredible-footage-shows-man-blowing-15-candles-punching-AIR.html?ITO=1490)

Video captures the 27-year-old snuffing out all candles in 10 seconds
Reports say that he has practised Shaolin kung fu for more than a decade
He can also break wooden stick and a nine-pound stone with bare hands

By JULIAN LUK FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 07:09 EST, 13 October 2016 | UPDATED: 09:45 EST, 13 October 2016

This is the incredible moment a young Chinese man manages to extinguish 15 candles with air punches.
Chen Jia, 27, can be seen punching out the candles in less than 10 seconds in the clip.
The footage was uploaded to Chinese video sharing site Miaopai on October 12.
Impressive man puts out candles by using the air from fist pump

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/13/08/3955E23000000578-3834780-Chen_Jia_27_years_old_is_about_to_use_Qi_some_form _of_inner_ener-a-2_1476344732555.jpg
Chen Jia, 27, is about to use inner energy to punch out the 15 candles placed in front of him

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/13/08/3955E22700000578-3834780-image-a-4_1476344777258.jpg

He reportedly deployed a Shaolin move named 'Sun Ray Fist' to give air punches repeatedly
Chen comes from China's Henan province which is the birthplace Shaolin martial arts.
Shaolin Kungfu is known as China's largest school of kungfu.
Chen said that he was often challenged by people who thought his skill was either 'fake' or 'impossible'.
In order to prove the authenticity of his stunt, another man wearing a black shirt, who was thought to be a reporter, is seen giving punches to the air in the video. However, he fails to put out the candles.
In the latter part of the video, Chen can be seen breaking a candle and a wooden stick by using a knife-hand strike.
He even manages to break a stone weighing almost nine pounds into two with his right hand.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/13/10/3958FACF00000578-3834780-image-a-1_1476349401828.jpg
Amazing moment: All fifteen candles were blown out in less than ten seconds

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/13/08/3955E21F00000578-3834780-Another_man_is_seen_giving_punches_for_comparison_ purpose_Yet_he-a-6_1476344905795.jpg
Another man is seen giving punches however he fails to blow out the candles

Chen said he mastered the technique four years ago and had practiced kung fu for a decade.
Chen told reporters at China News that he used a move called 'Sun Ray Fist', one of the 72 Shaolin Arts to punch out the candle.
The technique involves use of 'qi', a form of inner energy, to extinguish the candle lamp placed at least eight steps away, according to a Chinese government website that introduces national martial arts.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/13/12/3958A19100000578-3834780-The_above_picture_captures_the_moment_Chen_chopped _the_candle_in-a-3_1476358367438.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/13/10/3958FAD400000578-3834780-He_cut_a_wooden_stick_with_bare_hands_at_a_park_in _Zhengzhou_Hen-m-11_1476351036537.jpg
Chen chops a candle (left) before cutting a wooden stick in half (right)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/13/12/3958A19500000578-3834780-He_was_asked_to_break_a_pebble_weighing_8_8_pounds _into_two_with-a-4_1476358381090.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/13/12/3958A19900000578-3834780-He_once_practised_breaking_a_brick_with_a_single_f inger_However_-a-5_1476358390127.jpg
Impressive skills: He was also filmed breaking a pebble in half using his bare hands

Chen claimed he had recently gained another skill from the 72 Shaolin Arts - to break rock with bare hands.
The reporter from China News took him to the park in order for him to showcase his stunt.
With a few punches, Chen managed to break a stone, weighing four kilograms (8.8 pounds), into two.
Onlookers stopped to watch his performance.
One witness, surnamed Zhao, doubted his claim and gathered two more stones for him to break apart.
'He also broke those stones,' Zhao said.
To maximise his hand strength, he practices doing push-ups using his fingers every day.
He also claims that he can do a handstand using one single finger.
This isn't the first case of videos showing people extinguishing candles with a punch.
Amir Khan, a famous boxer, punched off eight candles in just a single punch.

GeneChing
01-19-2018, 10:17 AM
He Was Trying Out Kung Fu Moves, Accidentally Set 40 Bikes On Fire (https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/chinese-boy-burns-down-40-bikes-while-practicing-kung-fu-moves-1802255)
The boy's parents may now have to shell out $15,000 to compensate for the damage, the police said.
Offbeat | NDTV Offbeat Desk | Updated: January 19, 2018 17:40 IST

https://i.ndtvimg.com/i/2018-01/china-boy-kung-fu-650-cgtn_650x400_51516362845.jpg
He Was Trying Out Kung Fu Moves, Accidentally Set 40 Bikes On Fire

The boy left the complex without putting out a burning candle which caused the fire

Officials in China have discovered the source of a mysterious fire last week that destroyed 40 electronic bikes.

It was a young boy "obsessed" with martial arts, CGTN reported.

Surveillance footage has revealed that the fire was a result of negligence by a boy who was trying out Kung Fu moves inside what appeared to be a parking complex. CCTV video shows the boy, unsupervised by an adult, lighting up a candle kept on an e-bike. Trying to recreate Kung Fu moves seen on screen, he thrusts his hands towards the candle, presumably to put it out with his palms.

After a few attempts, the Kung Fu enthusiast loses interest and leaves the area without putting out the burning candle.

The bike catches fire and the flames quickly grow bigger, soon spreading across the entire complex.

The mishap occurred on the night of January 1 in northwest China's Hanyin county. Video also shows firemen tackling the huge blaze. The following day, only the charred remains of the bikes were found.

The boy's parents may now have to shell out $15,000 to compensate for the damage done, the police said. No person was reported injured in the incident.

Watch the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TplyAjDdXs

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thread: Busted Martial Artists (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?48947-Busted-Martial-Artists)
Thread: Candle training? (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52532-Candle-training)

Yea. I think I've spoken somewhere on the forums about the issue (as I see it) of MA schools operating as day care centers w/o having to go through the same licensing as a day care center needs to have. Yes, indeed, we've discussed that idea here before. I agree that regulation of some sort should be enforced, even though it would wreck our economy for a while because it would force so many schools to close or charge more to cover legal registration fees and such.