PDA

View Full Version : Power Footwork

diego
11-18-2008, 01:58 PM
What kind of footwork drills do you do for power development?. Lately I've been working on jumping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6uZuRvEiRA&NR=1

I know the BS CLF guys like to jump when they Chap, Bruce liked fencing and Cha Cha...:) I'm thinking slam dunking Jordan style is the best drills for cross training Gung Fu stepping.

Infrazael
11-18-2008, 04:46 PM
What about stomping? A la Baji Quan. :)

diego
11-18-2008, 04:57 PM
What about stomping? A la Baji Quan. :)

have any drills that won't damage ones feet over the years?. I was told to stomp my stances until you are good and then be quiet like a little sheep in the church to paraphrase Arnold.

David Jamieson
11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
plyometrics, boxing footwork, shuffle and stick drills, directional step/stick, and from tcma, dragon stepping which is a form of stomping and isn't really footwork so much as it is intended to build bone density.

the plyo and boxing stuff is the most beneficial.

in tcma, most of the footwork was tied into the forms. over time Ive extracted some of it, but not everything.

boxing is simple and effective and so it is in my opinion the work i prefer.

diego
11-19-2008, 03:04 PM
plyometrics, boxing footwork, shuffle and stick drills, directional step/stick, and from tcma, dragon stepping which is a form of stomping and isn't really footwork so much as it is intended to build bone density.

the plyo and boxing stuff is the most beneficial.

in tcma, most of the footwork was tied into the forms. over time Ive extracted some of it, but not everything.

boxing is simple and effective and so it is in my opinion the work i prefer.

do you have a visual rep' of Dragon stepping Kung Lek? lol I don't know why your old tag is in my brain...how does it build bone density?...been studying anatomy all year trying to prep myself for uni. ****'s fascinating:)

David Jamieson
11-19-2008, 05:28 PM
i don't have a video of it...and right now, I don't have the inclination to make one either lol, but i did see a vid on youtube of a lung ying prac who briefly demonstrates the stepping.

It is in essence stomping. The stomping in turn causes vibration and microfractures which is how , or rather one way, that bone density is increased.

diego
11-19-2008, 09:42 PM
i don't have a video of it...and right now, I don't have the inclination to make one either lol, but i did see a vid on youtube of a lung ying prac who briefly demonstrates the stepping.

It is in essence stomping. The stomping in turn causes vibration and microfractures which is how , or rather one way, that bone density is increased.

what's the history on this practise if you don't mind Dave? :)

David Jamieson
11-20-2008, 05:54 AM
what's the history on this practise if you don't mind Dave? :)

I'm not certain of the history, or where the knowledge came from, but I learned it in both study of Karate, particularly the Goju portion of Isshin-ryu where there is a lot of what seems to be brutal conditioning exercises, and in Shaolin Kungfu methods aside from the regular practice. (It's in the forms).

It wasn't until some time after doing the practice that I read materials in regards to astronauts and osteopathy that verified that vibration of bone and deliberate micro-fracturing increases bone density and strength.

I have no idea how the old timers would have figured that out, but they did see results. I think perhaps they expanded on the slow process flow techniques as they found out that slow development over time brings results etc etc.

So, for the source? I don't know. It is in Kungfu practice in more than a few styles and i think it is even in other arts and their conditioning methods.

sanjuro_ronin
11-20-2008, 06:13 AM

Correctumondo.
The stomping also helps to transfer force in "short range" techniques.

diego
11-20-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm not certain of the history, or where the knowledge came from, but I learned it in both study of Karate, particularly the Goju portion of Isshin-ryu where there is a lot of what seems to be brutal conditioning exercises, and in Shaolin Kungfu methods aside from the regular practice. (It's in the forms).

It wasn't until some time after doing the practice that I read materials in regards to astronauts and osteopathy that verified that vibration of bone and deliberate micro-fracturing increases bone density and strength.

What type of training do Astronauts do besides listen to Bob Marley?. ;)

David Jamieson
11-21-2008, 08:52 AM
lol.

they use vibration pads and do regular exercise while in zero g in order to maintain musculature and bone density.
the vibration pads are like about the size of a bathroom scale, or a little bigger and they simply stand on them while they vibrate. This has been shown to maintain bone density and stimulate bone growth which is severely compromised by zero-g.

TenTigers
11-21-2008, 09:33 AM
most of this is based on Wolf's Law-gradual and continuous force placed upon a bone will increase its density.
This is the same theory behind iron palm,sam sing, makiwara,and prescribing weight bearing resistance training for women to prevent osteoperosis-bone density loss, especially post menopausal.
This is why runners have more bone density in their legs.

TenTigers
11-21-2008, 09:35 AM
as far as mobility and strength and explosive power, I find the triangle footwork drills in kali to be extremely effective.

sanjuro_ronin
11-21-2008, 10:39 AM
as far as mobility and strength and explosive power, I find the triangle footwork drills in kali to be extremely effective.

Kali, or at least Pekiti-tirsia, also subscribes to the "box" concept that works real well in the real world fighting.

Your outside shoulder and hips are the perimeters of the box and everyting indside them is inside the box and outside them is outside the box, obviously.
Attacks coming from inside the box are dealt by going outside and those coming from the outside are dealt by going inside, with the footwork mentioned by TT.

diego
11-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Cool info, thanks guys. I'm off to look at Kali now...

Wu Lizhu
11-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Have you ever seen how the US Volleyball team trains for jumping and power. They use elastic bands a waist strap and a base. Hard to explain but I will try to find pictures. Builds a ton of strenght in your core, and all legs/ glutes.

HSCLFCPA
11-22-2008, 12:50 AM
How about strapping weights to both ankles when you are practicing or doing your sets. I've seen it done though I don't do it.