PDA

View Full Version : I Hope y'all don't mind...

TenTigers
11-19-2008, 09:45 AM
while I have studied Wing Chun on and off, here and there, I am predominantly a Hung Kuen and now also Jook Lum practitioner.
But, Wing Chun shares many techniques and concepts with Hung-Ga, and many of my experiences have been with instructors who also trained in both arts.

Hung-Ga was originally a short bridging system. Wong Fei-Hung, through his contact with other Sifus, especially Hop-Ga Sifu, Wong Yun-Lum, added the characteristic long armed tactics. Over the years, the short bridging seems to have been forgotten, or at least de-emphasized. The stances got bigger and lower, the techniques got longer.

But, all one has to do is look at the opening sections of the pillar forms, and one would think they are looking at some sort of "mainland Wing Chun" or a Hakka Kuen system.
In fact, I once demonstrated the opening section of Fu Hok Seurng Ying Kuen, but played both sides simultaneously. People asked me if it was Chu-Ga, or another Hakka Kuen system. When I revealed what I had done, they were floored.

So, although I am not a Wing Chun practitioner per se, I get alot of insight and value from joining in on these discussions.
I just hope nobody minds me crashing the party from time to time.;)

sanjuro_ronin
11-19-2008, 09:53 AM
...Hung-Ga was originally a short bridging system....

It was and still is.
;)

Phil Redmond
11-19-2008, 11:23 AM
I don't mind input from another martial artist. In fact it can be a good thing.

anerlich
11-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Knifefighter doesn't practice and apparently has a low opinion of WC, but IMO has made worthwhile input to the discussions here.

I look forward to more posts from you.

sihing
11-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Tentigers,

Welcome aboard:) I've read some of your recent posts on the other forums and here, and it is a welcome fresh POV. I especially like your post about the differences between training and styles/systems, and that most people confuse the two when they place a judgement on whether or not a style/system is good or bad (lol), good stuff:)

James

taai gihk yahn
11-19-2008, 09:47 PM
can I ask, what is it about WC that is inherently so "special", that certain practitioners (not all) feel that unless you have actually done WC, you can't speak to it at all? I mean, I've done a lot of short-range trapping, a lot of it is very similar to WC IMPE; in fact, I've trapped w/a good number of WC peeps and was able to hang w/them pretty well (nothing that they did was in any way a surprise, per se); I mean, trapping is trapping, certain concepts / principles apply to that range, and that's it;

not trying to be piszy, just curious...

sihing
11-20-2008, 10:03 AM
can I ask, what is it about WC that is inherently so "special", that certain practitioners (not all) feel that unless you have actually done WC, you can't speak to it at all? I mean, I've done a lot of short-range trapping, a lot of it is very similar to WC IMPE; in fact, I've trapped w/a good number of WC peeps and was able to hang w/them pretty well (nothing that they did was in any way a surprise, per se); I mean, trapping is trapping, certain concepts / principles apply to that range, and that's it;

not trying to be piszy, just curious...

From your post above, you give the impression that WC is a trapping art. IMO
WC isn't a trapping art, rather it is a boxing art, where hitting is the main component. What is special about WC is the body mechanics, power generation, and ability to change quickly, attributes that are developed and easier to maintain once developed. Trapping is a sub skill, and not really the skill focused on when training, as it is a part of the hitting mechanizm. Some people look at it as special, some don't depends on your motivations for making such statements.

James

CFT
11-20-2008, 10:19 AM
I think tgy has a point to his post. The general perception of Wing Chun is exactly that - trapping, chi sau games, etc. It doesn't help that JKD promotes that its trapping techniques come from Wing Chun.

But James (sihing) is right. The primary aim of Wing Chun should be about hitting not sticking, trapping, etc.

couch
11-20-2008, 10:42 AM
I think tgy has a point to his post. The general perception of Wing Chun is exactly that - trapping, chi sau games, etc. It doesn't help that JKD promotes that its trapping techniques come from Wing Chun.

But James (sihing) is right. The primary aim of Wing Chun should be about hitting not sticking, trapping, etc.

I'm in the same agreement here. I want to hit and if there's something in my way, the other tools in the box come out to clear the line so I can continue to hit.

Best,
K

taai gihk yahn
11-20-2008, 12:21 PM
From your post above, you give the impression that WC is a trapping art. IMO
WC isn't a trapping art, rather it is a boxing art, where hitting is the main component. What is special about WC is the body mechanics, power generation, and ability to change quickly, attributes that are developed and easier to maintain once developed. Trapping is a sub skill, and not really the skill focused on when training, as it is a part of the hitting mechanizm. Some people look at it as special, some don't depends on your motivations for making such statements.

James

I'm in the same agreement here. I want to hit and if there's something in my way, the other tools in the box come out to clear the line so I can continue to hit.

Best,
K

sorry guys - I was unclear - for me "trapping" has always meant fighting at a certain range more than the actual idea of simply trapping one arm under the other - my bad; and absolutely the point is to hit: listening, sticking, rolling, trapping, etc. - these are all tools you use in order to get through someone's defenses in order to be able to deliver your strikes to vulnerable areas;

eomonroe00
11-21-2008, 10:21 AM
please leave ten tigers, :) just kidding

a wise man once showed me very tight hung kuen, it was a mixture of both hung kuen and jook lum,

very interesting indeed