PDA

View Full Version : Every Once in Awhile...

TenTigers
11-19-2008, 02:52 PM
a guy comes on the boards, with what appears to be a newly discovered style. Usually it is cleverly disguised by the author as an old system, from an obscure lineage, or from the mainland. These include various Mainland versions of Wing Chun, Hung Kuen, White Crane, Black Crane, Grey Crane, Black Dragon, Pink Turtle, etc.
In some cases, this person sounds like he is taking from here and there, and passing it off as his own. In other cases, he is simply altering a few forms from a recognized system and re-naming them or the system itself, and claiming it as somethng much older.
In some cases, the person seems pretty young and inexperienced, and is trying to pass himself off as a teacher, or knowledgable practitioner.
And, of course, in some cases, he considers himself the next Bruce Lee with the next JKD, or worse, he claims to be teaching JKD, and learned from books, DVDs, or movies.

So...do we burst his bubble, call him on it, or just ask pointed questions until he realizes his dress blew up, or simply let him run his rant?

Now, here's the kicker-sometimes they don't do this on the internet. Sometimes they walk into your school and try to pull this off, or you meet them at a party or get together.

sihing
11-19-2008, 03:50 PM
You allow him to discover his own way, whether it is labelled as right or wrong, thru sharing your own wisdom and experience, without the need to make yourself look more right or better than him. If he is open minded he may pick up on some useful wisdom, or disgard it depending on his own needs, wants or motivations. We can only help one another, guide people down their own paths, not make them come on ours.

James

GeneChing
11-19-2008, 04:04 PM
I let them speak and listen to what they have to say. If they cop a ****y attitude, I crush them with facts. If they are just naive, I correct them more gently. If they're just plain psycho, I let the inevitability of cause and effect play out. It really depends on context, but I always attempt to set people on the right path to the best of my abilities. Sometimes, they just aren't ready for the full story, so I just do what I can.

Given my job, I can pretty much trounce anyone at a party unless I'm partying with other martial artists. Then again, it may surprise you to know that a few of the people I train with have no idea what I do for a living...;)

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-19-2008, 05:06 PM
When I first started talking about Tai Tzu, it was an unheard of style for the most part. Since no one really knew what it was, I pretty much got lynched by everyone and told that the style was fake, and the people I was learning it from made it up.

It was brutal.

So I basically expect people putting forth rare, hardly known or unheard of styles will be laughed at, ridiculed, and driven out of town with torches and pitch forks by the townsfolk.

David Jamieson
11-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Just go with the standard: "BURN HIS HOUSE, BEAT HIS MOTHER!!!!"

You can never go wrong with that.

alternately, quickly punch him in the face and tell him "where's your secret style now boy?" (in an edward g robinson voice of course)

this is highly effective in having braggarts stfu. and it is zen. you know, the whole short sharp shock thing goes a long way. :p

taai gihk yahn
11-19-2008, 09:01 PM
they should be chastised; with satire; and howls of derisive laughter, Bruce;

SPJ
11-19-2008, 10:41 PM
prospective students beware

or buyer beware.

do your own research

or "shop" before you buy.

:eek::D

David43515
11-19-2008, 11:51 PM
prospective students beware

or buyer beware.

do your own research

or "shop" before you buy.

:eek::D

And always wear clean undies and look both ways before crossing the street.

What?

Ray Pina
11-20-2008, 03:28 AM
Doesn't sound much different from most of the sifu's I've met. They either have the latest and greatest or have been privy to "the real deal." Either way, most have little or no real experience. But they seem very good at a sort of mind control. Because they get and retain students, and the pattern perpetuates.

Laukarbo
11-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Doesn't sound much different from most of the sifu's I've met. They either have the latest and greatest or have been privy to "the real deal." Either way, most have little or no real experience. But they seem very good at a sort of mind control. Because they get and retain students, and the pattern perpetuates.

I wonder where u find all these people:rolleyes:

sanjuro_ronin
11-20-2008, 06:09 AM
Notice how no one goes into a MT or boxing gym or judo dojo or BJJ school or even a kyokushin dojo, and does that?

SPJ
11-20-2008, 08:19 AM
And always wear clean undies and look both ways before crossing the street.

What?

My point is that it is on the shoulder of the students or buyers to watch out.

or is it our job to point out every "fraud" or whenever someone said something that is not true?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-rIpv1bb_A&feature=channel

my bro absolutely adored her.

I just found her making some senses even thou most of the time, they are just stupid episodes.

so she tried to help the other person (also played by her) to solve some problems. She found out that she could not either. Out of frustration, she would blame on something else. Is it not human nature?

1. the value or whatever new system that a young may make claims. if the new system stands the trial of time?

2. with so many claims by so many people, would you investigate first before you enroll in the school? just like you search for more info and compare before you shop or buy anything. so choose a teacher or a school, will not be any different.

--

Ray Pina
11-20-2008, 08:35 AM
I wonder where u find all these people:rolleyes:

Here! Everyday.

Ray Pina
11-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Notice how no one goes into a MT or boxing gym or judo dojo or BJJ school or even a kyokushin dojo, and does that?

Bingo! ....

David Jamieson
11-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Here! Everyday.

ray

this is a forum, not a kwoon.
There's nothing of the sort here.
It's all chit chat including your own offerings.

David Jamieson
11-20-2008, 08:56 AM

yes they do.

newbies take their thoughts and seemingly silly questions with them everywhere.

MasterKiller
11-20-2008, 08:58 AM
yes they do.

I get these guys, too, and I run a sport club. In fact, I had one guy last week that wanted to finish his Black Belt in Muay Thai, and another that was interested in a Black Belt in MMA.

sanjuro_ronin
11-20-2008, 09:42 AM
yes they do.

Never seen any.
Probably because I have my "ignore" radar on when I train.

David Jamieson
11-20-2008, 09:48 AM
lol "ignore radar"

I'm trying to figure out how a detection system that doesn't detect would work. :p

any MA club or school gets a lot of people through the door. the #'s that go are always higher than those that stay and the amount of people that come in with misconceptions is always high.

some people just aren't vocal about it I guess. :)

sanjuro_ronin
11-20-2008, 09:52 AM
The thread isn't about the clueless noob though:

Usually it is cleverly disguised by the author as an old system, from an obscure lineage, or from the mainland. These include various Mainland versions of Wing Chun, Hung Kuen, White Crane, Black Crane, Grey Crane, Black Dragon, Pink Turtle, etc.
In some cases, this person sounds like he is taking from here and there, and passing it off as his own. In other cases, he is simply altering a few forms from a recognized system and re-naming them or the system itself, and claiming it as somethng much older.
In some cases, the person seems pretty young and inexperienced, and is trying to pass himself off as a teacher, or knowledgable practitioner.
And, of course, in some cases, he considers himself the next Bruce Lee with the next JKD, or worse, he claims to be teaching JKD, and learned from books, DVDs, or movies.

MightyB
11-20-2008, 10:04 AM

Not always the case- we've had a couple of psychos come through the doors of the Judo-nasium (judaism? ) Judo + Gymnasium...

anyway- yeah, they come in- talk- try randori- and go home sore and bruised, and usually convert to students.

sanjuro_ronin
11-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Not always the case- we've had a couple of psychos come through the doors of the Judo-nasium (judaism? ) Judo + Gymnasium...

anyway- yeah, they come in- talk- try randori- and go home sore and bruised, and usually convert to students.

Someone came to your judo Dojo with some "new and hidden secret technqiue/style" ?

MightyB
11-20-2008, 12:46 PM
No- more of the "this and that" crowd. the "oh yeah- I've studied that... blah blah blah". Mostly their own variety of "MMA", but they're looking for "throwing/groundfighting/ you fill in the blank" to compliment their own made up style.

A whackjob's still a whackjob.

David Jamieson
11-20-2008, 02:22 PM
The thread isn't about the clueless noob though:

fair enough.

Then suffice it to say that someone with even an iota of observation and listening skills will promptly either school said individual or show them the door.

There's no shortage of psychos wandering into MA outfits.

Heck, whole portions of wu de charters are written around NOT teaching people like this because of their attitudes or instabilities and inability to trust liars, especially obvious ones. :)