PDA

View Full Version : It's official, Mac's Safari sux

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-20-2008, 04:44 PM
To continue the MAC VS PC argument, I have just discovered that my laptop has Safari installed on it. It's probably been there since i bought it, and I never noticed.

I honestly didn't know what it was until I clicked on it today.

To be fair, I decided to use Safari all day to give it a test run. I have to say, it's not a bad browzer. It's certainly on par with Windows Internet explorer, only with the added spell check feature.

Firefox, however, still blows them both away (both combined i might add), so you won't see me changing any time soon.

Anyway, that is my report, you may return to your regularly scheduled Kung Fu vs MMA argument.

RD

David Jamieson
11-20-2008, 04:48 PM
ie7, netscape9, firefox, and flock are basically all the same browser. Mozilla.

just different plugins and addons make the difference. Under the hood they are same same.

Google chrome I found to be...lacking. Same for Opera and Conqueror.
I never tried safari.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Are you sure IE7 is Mozilla?

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-20-2008, 04:58 PM
ie7, netscape9, firefox, and flock are basically all the same browser. Mozilla.

just different plugins and addons make the difference. Under the hood they are same same.

Google chrome I found to be...lacking. Same for Opera and Conqueror.
I never tried safari.

Reply]
Google Chrome sux big time. I tried it before, and it lasted for about 45 minutes before I got rid of it and went back to Firefox.

David Jamieson
11-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Are you sure IE7 is Mozilla?

It's mozilla 4. Basically they are all going to align to the same thing.

as computers become more ubiquitous and the internet is in everyones home and eventually taken for granted...

well, think George Orwell. lol

the only way out of being under some form of constant surveillance will be to remove yourself from the grid completely and do you realize how hard that is to do even now?

No phone, no income, no bills, no home no nothing. It is very hard.

In the future, every single thing you do from the beginning of your life until it ends will be recorded, stored and accessed.

Half way there now with internet, cellphones and people who think social networking is "cool" for finding restaurants and what not. what they really are is data compilation front ends that people willfully give up their privacy to in order to know that their friend or acquaintance is now enjoying a hot cup of tea or about to take a shower or is watching a show.

I'm getting old and will be dead and gone before the total big brother scenario is happening, but it will come, it will come.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Another thing that Sux about Safari, I have been getting all sorts of popups since i have run it today. My system NEVER get Pop ups!! Now I run a MAC product, and suddenly I am flooded with them.....

Mr Punch
11-20-2008, 07:17 PM
But you say:
To be fair, I decided to use Safari all day to give it a test run. I have to say, it's not a bad browzer. It's certainly on par with Windows Internet explorer, only with the added spell check feature.Strange man.

But yeah, Firefox wins.

BTW LOL at David: who gives a **** if people know where I eat or compile stats on me? It's another sky-is-falling Big Brother paranoia non-starter to me. Some aspects of privacy are important.

Toby
11-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm going to guess that if you didn't even know you had it and it's been on there since you bought the computer then it's not a current version (and probably a very early version). I'm also going to guess that you use an up-to-date version of Firefox and IE7, so your comparison isn't really valid. It's like comparing Firefox 3 with IE5. If you want to make a fair comparison, I'd suggest downloading a new version of Safari.

Disclaimer: I've never used Safari.

CLFLPstudent
11-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Another thing that Sux about Safari, I have been getting all sorts of popups since i have run it today. My system NEVER get Pop ups!! Now I run a MAC product, and suddenly I am flooded with them.....

I usually use Firefox, but Safari does have a "block pop-ups" option under the "Safari" menu.
I use Safari on the mini, don't know why. Easier to d/l Youtube videos with Safari, I think.

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-20-2008, 09:57 PM
I did find the popup block option, but it was already checked.

I suppose getting the latest version would be more fair.

Mr Punch
11-20-2008, 10:43 PM
I suppose getting the latest version would be more fair.Firefox still wins hands-down.

fopah
11-20-2008, 11:39 PM
saying MAC sucks because safari sucks, is like saying PC sucks because IE sucks... both systems native browsers blow, luckily firefox is available for both systems so it seems like a fairly invalid argument against mac as a whole. Equally i would say it would be an invalid argument against PC to look at IE and say "look pc's suck"

Yum Cha
11-21-2008, 05:29 AM
Firefox has more features, but Safari's saving grace is SPEED. I reckon its the fastest startup and page render going.

David Jamieson
11-21-2008, 06:10 AM
But you say:Strange man.

But yeah, Firefox wins.

BTW LOL at David: who gives a **** if people know where I eat or compile stats on me? It's another sky-is-falling Big Brother paranoia non-starter to me. Some aspects of privacy are important.

how much of yours are you willing to give up?

jo
11-22-2008, 11:05 PM
To continue the MAC VS PC argument, I have just discovered that my laptop has Safari installed on it. It's probably been there since i bought it, and I never noticed.

I honestly didn't know what it was until I clicked on it today.

To be fair, I decided to use Safari all day to give it a test run. I have to say, it's not a bad browzer. It's certainly on par with Windows Internet explorer, only with the added spell check feature.

Firefox, however, still blows them both away (both combined i might add), so you won't see me changing any time soon.

Anyway, that is my report, you may return to your regularly scheduled Kung Fu vs MMA argument.

RD

Any browser loading any page for the very first time will be slower than another which has the webpage parts cached...but a smart guy like you would know that.

What were the criteria (other than your obvious bias) used to make your determination?

- jo

Drake
11-23-2008, 08:04 AM
It's mozilla 4. Basically they are all going to align to the same thing.

as computers become more ubiquitous and the internet is in everyones home and eventually taken for granted...

well, think George Orwell. lol

the only way out of being under some form of constant surveillance will be to remove yourself from the grid completely and do you realize how hard that is to do even now?

No phone, no income, no bills, no home no nothing. It is very hard.

In the future, every single thing you do from the beginning of your life until it ends will be recorded, stored and accessed.

Half way there now with internet, cellphones and people who think social networking is "cool" for finding restaurants and what not. what they really are is data compilation front ends that people willfully give up their privacy to in order to know that their friend or acquaintance is now enjoying a hot cup of tea or about to take a shower or is watching a show.

I'm getting old and will be dead and gone before the total big brother scenario is happening, but it will come, it will come.

Why does everything on this forum eventually become a conspiracy theory, regardless of the topic?

Mas Judt
11-23-2008, 08:29 AM
I generally liked Firefox the best until the latest version - don't care much for how it catalogs EVERYTHING you do, and makes it hard t erase - for example, I do research for my clients, I erase my history every time I go somewhere new in order to be compliant with my NDA's. Safari has simply become the easier to use for me, and has now replaced FireFox, which sucks as I really liked the old version of FireFox.

Saying Mac sucks because there is a subjectively better browser is a fairly ignorant argument.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-23-2008, 04:07 PM
I tend to agree. I really hate the new Fire Fox. I upgraded to it and was dismally disappointed. I had to remove it, and go back to the older version.