PDA

View Full Version : Why would you want to be a fighter?

Eric Olson
11-20-2008, 08:33 PM
So something kind of stuck out at me in my previous thread "Who's a Better Fighter: It's Never Objective."

Sanjuro Ronin wrote:

"You are not gonna find many fighters in Kung fu, or in most TMA for that matter.
Oh you will find some, just not lots, certainly not comparable to sport combat systems.Why you ask? Simple, the majority of people don't take up TMA to fight.
Sure they MAY take it up for self defense, but that is not the same thing."

It's an interesting point. But what I wonder is--why would anyone want to be a fighter? Aren't there professions (or hobbies for that matter) that are more lucrative or prestigious? What is it that drives a fighter? Why risk injury for so little reward?

EO

uki
11-20-2008, 08:58 PM
in my definition... a fighter is someone who can defend his life against harmful attacks... so being a fighter revolves around being able to survive.

David43515
11-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah that`s true in a sense, but I think that what Sanju was getting at is somebody who makes a habit of fighting regularly, probably for a living, against other trained and conditioned fighters. That`s a whole other ballgame.

Mr Punch
11-20-2008, 10:41 PM
But what I wonder is--why would anyone want to be a fighter? Aren't there professions (or hobbies for that matter) that are more lucrative or prestigious? What is it that drives a fighter? Why risk injury for so little reward?Some don't know any more!

My friend and former MMA teacher was the Pacific Rim Middleweight Champion in a major fight league here in Japan: started in a wrestling family, so got the fighting bug early, went and trained in Thailand, then here, got into the pro game, couldn't fight in the States because of a minor medical problem, and has stayed here fighting ever since. He's said to me he doesn't see why anyone would choose to do it after a couple of years but by then it's too late for many people to change their game. And he made reasonable money at that level.

There are some people who get out early. Genki Sudo springs to mind: always respected him as a fighter and he always seemed like a nice man, though now he's written two questionable books on using NLP for picking up women, and is an occasional creepy guy on late-night talk-shows and variety shows here! There's one career change for you!

Eddie
11-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Slightly off topic, but maybe similar…

I am training (part time I must add) at Wuhan Ti Yuan, and realized this week that perhaps Im either getting to old, or I have lost my spirit a little. While I feel stronger now in mid thirties, I cannot help but thinking perhaps I was more ..erm… aggressive in my 20’s.

I don’t think I want to be a fighter these days as much as I just want to be capable of fighting.. at least just to save my life. I train with 19 year old muscle boys who train 8 hours a day, 6 and a half days a week. How can anyone compare with that? I also think that allot of “ fighters” are living under some weird illusion that their 2 hours a week will prepare them for the streets.

Eddie
11-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Andy, I really have to disagree with you. People on the internet always talk about killing and all that stuff, but I wonder, when push comes to shove, how many people on here could really go through with it. Killing someone else takes much more than just talking about it.

I for one, grew up amongst violence. I have no intention of ever killing someone else. Perhaps in a self defense situation I might want to hurt them as much as I can, but I doubt that I would actually go ahead with killing someone else. Maybe its just me, but I somehow think its not as easy to kill some one as we might think.

uki
11-21-2008, 03:30 AM
Maybe its just me, but I somehow think its not as easy to kill some one as we might think.depends on the reason why you are doing it... take for instance someone who is harming your child, do i think it will be hard to do then? i think not...

Eddie
11-21-2008, 04:34 AM
depends on the reason why you are doing it... take for instance someone who is harming your child, do i think it will be hard to do then? i think not...

Yeah you are right, but in self defense, there are different levels of threat. You don’t always have to Kill your attacker, and if you do, you could probably end up with more problems later. My point is, I often hear it when traditionalists talk about how effective their style is etc etc, and this usually comes up when they compare traditional MA with Combat sports. Thing is, what if you actually get attacked by a healthy, strong, 20 year old MMA enthusiast? When then?

If you want to be a fighter, you have to train like one. No easy way out.

Ray Pina
11-21-2008, 04:54 AM
I wonder: why would anyone want to be a fighter? Aren't there professions (or hobbies for that matter) that are more lucrative or prestigious? What is it that drives a fighter? Why risk injury for so little reward?

EO

No one in my family could understand why I wanted to be a writer. They said there is no money in it. That you need to have a "name." And it's true. But every great writer started as a "nobody."

Now, they're all up to their t1ts in debt, with houses and cars they can't afford and I'm living free in Puerto Rico as a freelance journalist.

It's just something in me that needs to be expressed. Fighting is the same way.

I feel sorry for anyone who is involved in any activity that is not naturally calling them. Why do that?

sanjuro_ronin
11-21-2008, 05:14 AM
Yeah that`s true in a sense, but I think that what Sanju was getting at is somebody who makes a habit of fighting regularly, probably for a living, against other trained and conditioned fighters. That`s a whole other ballgame.

Correct.
Nothing more really needs to be said, but...:D

I have done MA for 30 years and I only saw myself as a "fighter" when I was doing just that, fighting, on a regular and consistent basis, be it Boxing, Kyokushin, Judo, MT or Vale Tudo.
When I retired from active competition and training for it, I didn't view myself as a "fighter" anymore.
I then began my journey to be a Martial Artist.
A journey I will be on for the rest of my life.
Do I still fight?
Sure.
Am I a fighter?
Nope.

Eddie
11-21-2008, 05:32 AM
Correct.
Nothing more really needs to be said, but...:D

I have done MA for 30 years and I only saw myself as a "fighter" when I was doing just that, fighting, on a regular and consistent basis, be it Boxing, Kyokushin, Judo, MT or Vale Tudo.
When I retired from active competition and training for it, I didn't view myself as a "fighter" anymore.
I then began my journey to be a Martial Artist.
A journey I will be on for the rest of my life.
Do I still fight?
Sure.
Am I a fighter?
Nope.

well said!!!

sanjuro_ronin
11-21-2008, 06:08 AM
I have my moments...:D

uki
11-21-2008, 06:13 AM
I have my moments...about time. :p

sanjuro_ronin
11-21-2008, 06:27 AM
about time. :p

" Suck it Trebeck, suck it long and suck it hard".
:D

uki
11-21-2008, 06:29 AM
" Suck it Trebeck, suck it long and suck it hard".
well i do have to find it first... :p

sanjuro_ronin
11-21-2008, 06:29 AM
well i do have to find it first... :p

Dude, why on earth would you be looking !?!?!?
:eek:

uki
11-21-2008, 06:31 AM
Dude, why on earth would you be looking !?!?!?
why on earth would you be telling me to suck it?? :eek::D

sanjuro_ronin
11-21-2008, 06:33 AM
why on earth would you be telling me to suck it?? :eek::D

On a serious note, Sean Connery on Celebrity Jepoardy on SNL has some of the best lines ever on that show.
"I'll take the rapist for 400"
"I'll take the ***** mightier"

uki
11-21-2008, 06:37 AM
On a serious note, Sean Connery on Celebrity Jepoardy on SNL has some of the best lines ever on that show.
"I'll take the rapist for 400"
"I'll take the ***** mightier"nice footwork.

sanjuro_ronin
11-21-2008, 06:38 AM
nice footwork.

It seemed like you were kind of lost there, I though the "trebeck" reference was enough.
But,

" I'll play your game you rogue"

brothernumber9
11-21-2008, 07:36 AM
I'll take "anal bum cover" for 200

TenTigers
11-21-2008, 07:43 AM
this is golden Connery.
Barbra Walters thinks she has backed him into a corner, and he simply stands by his statements-to a flustered Babwa.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FgMLROTqJ0

TenTigers
11-21-2008, 07:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhlQ2rtHNQ0&feature=related

brothernumber9
11-21-2008, 07:47 AM
Why would someone want to be a fighter? perhaps to address a fear. To familiarize one's self with that fear and help understand one's self better through that or those experiences, a feeling of confidence and sometime conquer after living through facing such fear can bring, or the harsh realization of how bad it can be and how much worse it can also be or could have been.

Most people fear violence, getting hit, getting attacked, getting hurt, maimed, or killed. Couple the feeling of confidence of greeting and getting past the initial fears of such confrontation (assuming in a class or controled or sport kinda setting), with the adrenaline and sometime euphoria that often accompany it. The feeling can be addictive, and some often chase after experiencing that feeling again.

In some cases when really zoned in, an almost out-of-body experience, as though you can see everything you do and that is going on. Evidence of the theory of relativity is no better realized than when fighting.

SimonM
11-21-2008, 08:17 AM
When I was a kid I went to really rough schools. I learned quickly that the best way to avoid daily fights was to win a couple. After that I found out that I like the physical challenge of fighting. And so I stuck with martial arts.

sanjuro_ronin
11-21-2008, 08:25 AM
TenTigers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhlQ2...eature=related
Today 09:43 AM
TenTigers this is golden Connery.
Barbra Walters thinks she has backed him into a corner, and he simply stands by his statements-to a flustered Babwa.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FgMLROTqJ0

ROTFLMAO !!
Too priceless !

sanjuro_ronin
11-21-2008, 08:26 AM
I'll take "anal bum cover" for 200

"I'll take foreign ****s for 600"

sanjuro_ronin
11-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Why would someone want to be a fighter?
To see if they can fight.
Some say that is kind of important in the MARTIAL arts.

uki
11-22-2008, 10:07 PM
i have heard the best martial artist needs not to fight...

SPJ
11-23-2008, 11:33 AM
So something kind of stuck out at me in my previous thread "Who's a Better Fighter: It's Never Objective."

Sanjuro Ronin wrote:

"You are not gonna find many fighters in Kung fu, or in most TMA for that matter.
Oh you will find some, just not lots, certainly not comparable to sport combat systems.Why you ask? Simple, the majority of people don't take up TMA to fight.
Sure they MAY take it up for self defense, but that is not the same thing."

It's an interesting point. But what I wonder is--why would anyone want to be a fighter? Aren't there professions (or hobbies for that matter) that are more lucrative or prestigious? What is it that drives a fighter? Why risk injury for so little reward?

EO

every one likes to play "fights".

either slinging mud, snowballs, or squirting water

point only

partly or full contact.

if we have rules and keep everyone safe, we all like to play fight without seriously injuring ourself and friends.

:)

SPJ
11-23-2008, 11:35 AM
or our monkey cousins like to sling feces.

:eek:

uki
11-23-2008, 12:00 PM
or our monkey cousins like to sling feces.they may be your cousins, but they are not mine.

SPJ
11-23-2008, 12:29 PM
they may be your cousins, but they are not mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7SlnVngFjg

this is bull?

SPJ
11-23-2008, 01:07 PM
every one likes to play "fights".

either slinging mud, snowballs, or squirting water

point only

partly or full contact.

if we have rules and keep everyone safe, we all like to play fight without seriously injuring ourself and friends.

if you really want to fight

you would have joined the forces already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltxzNkYJ47U&feature=related

for most people, we still can have some fun without getting ourself killed.

sanjuro_ronin
11-24-2008, 05:46 AM

Cause he carries a gun?

MightyB
11-26-2008, 10:08 AM
A classic definition and an answer for your question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymath

MightyB
11-26-2008, 10:12 AM
"This idea developed in Renaissance Italy from the notion expressed by one of its most accomplished representatives, Leon Battista Alberti (1404–72): that “a man can do all things if he will.” It embodied the basic tenets of Renaissance Humanism which considered man empowered, limitless in his capacities for development, and led to the notion that people should embrace all knowledge and develop their capacities as fully as possible. Thus the gifted men of the Renaissance sought to develop skills in all areas of knowledge, in physical development, in social accomplishments and in the arts."

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 10:38 AM
While it is always beneficial to know something about everything, that should come on the heels of some sort of specialization.

uki
11-26-2008, 10:42 AM
While it is always beneficial to know something about everything, that should come on the heels of some sort of specialization.specialization comes in many shapes and forms.

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 10:44 AM
specialization comes in many shapes and forms.

So does the obvious.

David Jamieson
11-26-2008, 10:50 AM
why does anyone want to be anything?

why not be a fighter? how is that worse than being a scientist that develops bio-warfare diseases?

or being a musician? or whatever?

there's a whole lot of things to do while taking trips around the sun. fighting is as worthwhile as any of them.

MightyB
11-26-2008, 10:52 AM
While it is always beneficial to know something about everything, that should come on the heels of some sort of specialization.

And with the martial arts it does... I'm a businessman/TV producer/college professor, some members of this forum are politicians, doctors, lawyers, engineers, ---

We all specialize in some area of life and still find time for the martial arts.

Lucas
11-26-2008, 11:10 AM

what if we specialize in being a know-it-all?

David Jamieson
11-26-2008, 11:35 AM

eventually you will be physically corrected for that. :)

Lucas
11-26-2008, 12:07 PM
eventually you will be physically corrected for that. :)

man, you shatter my dreams :(

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 12:38 PM

You'd know how little you truly know and stop trying to make as if you have some "knowledge" than no one else has.
In other words, you'd realize that you are only as smart as dump people think you are.
On the same token, that type of person, in a MA environment, is only as good as bad fighters think he/she is.

David Jamieson
11-26-2008, 12:45 PM
*snip*
On the same token, that type of person, in a MA environment, is only as good as bad fighters think he/she is.

testify!

(land of the blind, king has one eye, etc) :p

WinterPalm
11-26-2008, 01:26 PM

EO

The last point I think means you have not fought full contact? Aside from the street, which is survival, the reason I think people fight, or become fighters in the sport context, is because winning is such an incredibly beautiful thing...as is losing in a certain way.
For me personally, I compete, and will compete in the future, but I don't really think of myself as a fighter. It's something I do to get better, to learn, and to test myself...that's about as far as I want to take it.
I think it's hard to be a martial artist, especially a teacher, if you have no experience, and since I don't regularly scrap on the street, competition is necessary.

WinterPalm
11-26-2008, 01:29 PM

I agree...but if you don't know how to fight...and the only way to learn how to fight is to fight...

Lucas
11-26-2008, 01:40 PM
You'd know how little you truly know and stop trying to make as if you have some "knowledge" than no one else has.
In other words, you'd realize that you are only as smart as dump people think you are.

lol thats kinda what i was waiting for

MightyB
11-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Teddy Roosevelt studied Judo-

So did Putin-

not sure what it that means though...

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Teddy Roosevelt studied Judo-

So did Putin-

not sure what it that means though...

They like to throw people wearing pajamas.

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 02:18 PM
I agree...but if you don't know how to fight...and the only way to learn how to fight is to fight...

Actually, the correct version is " great Martial artist NO LONGER need to fight to prove anything".
Why?
Because they have been there and done that.

Lucas
11-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Actually, the correct version is " great Martial artist NO LONGER need to fight to prove anything".
Why?
Because they have been there and done that.

either that or they died fighting :p

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 02:27 PM
either that or they died fighting :p

Well, as the saying goes, " I will not go quietly into the gentle night".
Or something like that.

Lucas
11-26-2008, 02:33 PM
maybe they were the lucky ones....

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 02:35 PM
maybe they were the lucky ones....

Well, the only way you will ever know if something, anything, works is to...TRY IT.

Lucas
11-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Well, the only way you will ever know if something, anything, works is to...TRY IT.

good call.

ill let you know how it works out ;)