PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: WTF? Is it just a culture thing?

David43515
11-20-2008, 10:27 PM
When I got married and moved to Japan 3 1/2 years ago I just thought my wife and daughters bought huge amounts of tissue and toilet paper. Then I began doing alot of the shopping and noticed everyone at the stores walking out with 10 boxes of tissues at a time (a 5 box pack in each hand), or a dozen or more rolls of toilet paper. (I`ve never seen anything smaller than an 8-pack here.)
So I assumed it was a Japanese thing.
Then last year I replaced a Vietnamese guy on my current work assignment and took over the furnished apartment he`d been using. I`ve been here a year and a half and never bought any toilet paper....and I still have two unopened 8-packs in the cupboard!And he was single for crying out loud.
What is it with all this hording of paper products??!!:confused: Does it just happen here, or are Chinese and Koreans the same way? I`m really curious about this.

Mr Punch
11-20-2008, 10:35 PM
地震対策 (Jishin taisaku = earthquake measures)? You don't want to get caught with your pants down!

UK MONK
11-20-2008, 11:00 PM
here in china iv notice alot people carry tissue paper with them all the time. and when you have finished a meal they give tissue to everyone at the meal. i asked my girlfriend why they do this and she said its just good manners. iv even seen ppl give tissue when they first meet each other??? chinese people also like to keep there hands clean. they try not to touch hand rails or anything that other ppl might have touched.

Eddie
11-20-2008, 11:06 PM
yeah, also in china you wont ever find a toilet with paper. It just dont happen, so to stay safe, carry paper with you everywhere yo go.

I do, I always take my back pack with everywhere I go, and there is always a roll or two of toilet paper. In addition, I carry two packs of tissue paper ( the small packs) with me in my moon bag (fanny pack whatever you call it). Im prepared.

The only thing now is to over come my fear for asian toilets! :( (we need a puke emoticon)

SimonM
11-21-2008, 07:48 AM
And buying bulk is simply more economical than buying small quantities more regularly. So buy the biggest packs of tissue possible and you spend less in the long run.

mawali
11-21-2008, 10:30 PM
If you have been using the stooping toilet, then you will see why it is important.
If using the western toilet then you may be spoiled, Or you need to go out more.

Eddie
11-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Yeah whatever. I prefer western toilets. No matter how hard you want to try to convince me :rolleyes: :cool:

Sherlock Holmes
11-22-2008, 02:11 AM
every country has its own culture.just face it and receive it.hehe
queer as folk. (http://www.dvdsetshop.com)

David43515
11-26-2008, 12:37 AM
The first time I came here almost 20 years ago, public toilets almost never provided paper. There was always a vending machine outside that sold the little packets of pocket tissues. You don`t see that much anymore.
You still see people in front of the train station or department store handing out free tissues with advertizements on them though.
I always have a couple packs in my bag too. :DOld habits die hard I guess.

TenTigers
11-26-2008, 08:37 AM
what's the little hose on the side of the Chinese toilet for? (ewww)

It is also not uncommon to go to a restaurant, and they provide you with a bowl and boiled water, or tea. This is so everyone at the table can wash their plates, cups and chopsticks.
I get this. But what about all the dishes that the food is served in?:confused:

Pork Chop
11-26-2008, 09:23 AM
I didn't notice it in Okinawa so much - my brother-in-law only had a few rolls in his apartment; same for my in-laws' place.

But then, if there was a hole-in-the-ground toilet I usually just walked the other direction & decided to wait till I got back to civilization; I never bothered to see if tp was provided.

What disturbs me more about toilets in Japan is that even the western ones have this strange, sour, rotten-tuna, kinda smell. I think it's a plumbing/sewage issue.

SimonM
11-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Yeah whatever. I prefer western toilets. No matter how hard you want to try to convince me :rolleyes: :cool:

I hear that brother!

Just say no to squat toilets!

And make sure to use the washroom before you go anywhere.

Kansuke
11-26-2008, 05:45 PM
The squat ain't too bad once you get used to it.

taai gihk yahn
11-26-2008, 06:09 PM
what's the little hose on the side of the Chinese toilet for? (ewww)

duh, it's for rinsing the ha gow out of your teeth, dumb-asz...

TenTigers
11-26-2008, 07:18 PM
ohhhh, I get it. It's like a water-pik.

I'll stick to those little flossers. Minty too!

Mr Punch
11-26-2008, 09:50 PM
The squat ain't too bad once you get used to it.It's good for the leg muscles, it's good to sober you up, and according to Chinese medical lore it's good for the kidneys: however, it's really bad for giving you piles.

The fact that in most stations in Japan of a night most of them have been used by drunken salarimen with yaki-niku, too-much-beer-and-coffee-to-sober-them-up bowels (or just useless drunken gaijin with weak squat muscles) who haven't sat straight pretty much guarantees them a pass from me.

David43515
11-26-2008, 09:51 PM
The squat ain't too bad once you get used to it.

+1 for the squatter.....once you get used to it.

But never use one if you`ve been drinking or you`re liable to need a change of pants.

SimonM
11-27-2008, 08:45 AM
I never did use a squatter while drinking. It is something I pointedly avoided.