PDA

View Full Version : Good Home Weight Training Program?

Lucas
11-25-2008, 02:37 PM
So im wanting to get a good program for myself for weight training at home.

I've never been into weight training really other than a stint in high school. But now im starting to dig it. I dont really remember much from high school though since that was about 12 years ago.

I've got myself a bench and some dumbells and a crap load of weights. Ive been watching things on youtube. getting some tips from a few buddies, and looking at pictures for form and such.

I just dont really have any idea on how to formulate a good program for myself as a beginner.

I'm hoping you jovial KFM guys can help me out/point me in the right direction.

I know a few of you guys are big on weight training.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-25-2008, 03:48 PM
step 1: fabricate yourself a place to squat and deadlift. no program is complete with these two lifts. espeically squat. some might say especially deadlift, but those people are ass.holes.

Lucas
11-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Ive been doing squats, curls, bench press, leg raise? (the thing on the end of the bench for your legs) front and back.

I still do my standard kungfu routine first. stretches, cardio, pushups/situps/pullups. but now im looking into getting myself some additional strength training through free weights.

I do live alone and will be lifting alone.

So for right now, im keeping the weight light enough so that I dont feel endangered.

Lucas
11-25-2008, 03:49 PM
step 1: fabricate yourself a place to squat and deadlift. no program is complete with these two lifts. espeically squat. some might say especially deadlift, but those people are ass.holes.

lol. whats the best way to do this. right now all i have is a wall.

my living room is just a work out area for me so i have plenty of room. only my heavy bag, weights and other various tools.

golgo
11-25-2008, 04:13 PM
I would highly recommend picking up The New Rules of Lifting. It is a great set of programs for various needs/goals.

Lucas
11-25-2008, 04:16 PM
I would highly recommend picking up The New Rules of Lifting. It is a great set of programs for various needs/goals.

sweet ill check that out.

Mr Punch
11-25-2008, 06:00 PM
I would highly recommend picking up The New Rules of Lifting. It is a great set of programs for various needs/goals.Oh yes, yes, YES! :o :eek: :D ;)

Toby
11-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Ive been doing squats, curls, bench press, leg raise? (the thing on the end of the bench for your legs) front and back.IMHO you can ignore curls, leg raises. Swap some kind of pullup or chinup for curls, use weights if they're too easy. I do front pullups and hang weights off a simple looped rope arrangement around my waist. Leg raises you'll get better benefits from squats and DL. Basically you want to do compound exercises instead of isolation exercises unless you have reason to want to target a specific weakness.

DL you don't need any special equipment apart from your heavy bar. Squats you'll need some kind or rack preferably with a decent safety bar setup since you're lifting alone. I use a power rack, which is perfect but costs a bit and needs some space.

For these compound lifts a good bar is worthwhile. I definitely prefer Olympic weights (for 2" collars) over standard ones.

Starting light is a good thing. Form really makes a big difference in compound lifts. It took me at least a couple of years to really peak, lifting over 250 days a year. Getting the form spot on can make a 50lb difference at a given strength level I reckon.

golgo
11-25-2008, 08:10 PM
FYI, the NROL book I recommended is completely based around squats and deadlifts and to a lesser extent, lunges. It will kick your butt.

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 05:45 AM
So im wanting to get a good program for myself for weight training at home.

I've never been into weight training really other than a stint in high school. But now im starting to dig it. I dont really remember much from high school though since that was about 12 years ago.

I've got myself a bench and some dumbells and a crap load of weights. Ive been watching things on youtube. getting some tips from a few buddies, and looking at pictures for form and such.

I just dont really have any idea on how to formulate a good program for myself as a beginner.

I'm hoping you jovial KFM guys can help me out/point me in the right direction.

I know a few of you guys are big on weight training.

How much $$$ are you willing to invest?

Lucas
11-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Toby: Thanks for the advice. I can use any you guys are willing to dish out ;)

Sanjuro: At this very moment, not much. I just bought a new heavy bag, weight bench, weights and a big screen TV. lol

I know the TV wont help much, but it makes all the hot chicks even larger = motivation :D

But once my finances recoup a bit and the season is over, i'll be willing to spend some cash.

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Hmmm, investing in a "dipping" belt would be good, so you can add weight to your chins/pullups even if you don't do dips.

Typically, you wanna do:
Squats ( lower body and core)
A upper body pulling exercise such as chins or pull-ups.
Deadlifts are great and if you can't do them, do bent-over rows, make sure you keep the knees slightly bent and look forward, not down.
An upper body pushing exercise, such as a standing over head press or military press, don't go behind the neck and do it standing to hit the core of your body.
You can do the standing overhead press with DB instead of a Barbell.
When you build a good solid core of strength exercises and get to some nice numbers, you shoudl get some coaching and add olympic lifts. start light and work on technique.

In reality you don't really need to do anything other than:
Squats
Chins/pull ups
standing Overhead presses

Those 3 hit pretty much everything you need to hit.

Lucas
11-26-2008, 11:55 AM
good deal. thanks for the info man.

ill look into that belt.

the only thing im afraid of is that i do pullups/chinups with one of those door frame attachment things, and im already afraid im gonna break the frame lol.

i slowly let my weight settle onto the bar then do my pulling very steadily and smothly so i dont jostle the frame.

maybe ill have a heavier friend try the frame and see if it holds him.

sooo, then did i waste my money buying the bench?

Lucas
11-26-2008, 11:57 AM
fortunately youtube can help me with my form lol

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 12:48 PM
good deal. thanks for the info man.

ill look into that belt.

the only thing im afraid of is that i do pullups/chinups with one of those door frame attachment things, and im already afraid im gonna break the frame lol.

i slowly let my weight settle onto the bar then do my pulling very steadily and smothly so i dont jostle the frame.

maybe ill have a heavier friend try the frame and see if it holds him.

sooo, then did i waste my money buying the bench?

I've never been a big fan of benching and I used to bench over the 300 mark.
Weighted dips are far better in my view.
In terms of a "pushing "exercise, I think overheads are the way to go.
If you can't chin/pull up, do Dead lifts and/ or bent-over rows.
The issue with Bent-overs is the stress on your back, but if you watch the form, build up and not go to heavy to soon, look straight and keep a slight bend in the knees, you should be fine.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-26-2008, 01:36 PM
if you got the room, invest in a power rack as soon as you can. you can get cheaper ones for under 300 bucks, and they'll be fine. the better ones are rated for more weight, but we got guys at my gym using our cheap one with 600lbs without incident. its not the smartest thing to do, but my point is that it will safely hold what you'll be moving for a very long time.

you might be able to find a squat stand cheaper, and it will take up far less room, but the rack is really nice if you got the room for it. plus you can bench in it as well saving space.

[edit]

few random ebay links just to give you an idea:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Body-Solid-Powerline-Power-Squat-Weight-Rack_W0QQitemZ230302628127QQcmdZViewItemQQptZExerc ise_Fitness_Strength?hash=item230302628127&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

this is the one we actually have in our gym - 329 but no bench or any attachments: http://cgi.ebay.com/Phys-X-Power-Cage-Rack-Squat-Bench-Press-etc_W0QQitemZ190263519743QQcmdZViewItemQQptZExerci se_Fitness_Strength?hash=item190263519743&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

obviously you can save yourself shipping by buying local, but i just wanted to at least give you an image in your head and an idea of dimensions in case you've never used a power rack before.

one last note DO NOT GET A SMITH MACHINE. ever. you'd be ahead to just kick yourself in the d1ck for reps.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-26-2008, 01:48 PM
also here are some programs i just sent to my buddy:

this is the program i start all new guys on. its an awesome, short, direct, simple, effective program that will build a really good base. if youre going to do some reading, read about this program first. i just provided the others because i already had something typed up, and you might want to refer to them later. also another great book to consider is starting strength by mark ripttoe. this program is taken from that book, and the technique breakdowns for the lifts are extensive. also - use youtube - ripptoe has got some great videos out there. and i also have a really really good squat technique video i can link you to. its about an hour long though.

starting strength
link to great write up on it: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

meat and taters of it:

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Power cleans
You train on 3 nonconsecutive days per week.

So week 1 might look like:
Monday - Workout A
Wednesday - Workout B
Friday - Workout A

Week 2:
Monday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B

=====================================

5x5 is another great program - i've had huge gains with this.

5x5 - intermediate
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

================================================== ========

squats and milk / super squats
20 rep squat program im doing now:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/irontamer5.htm

Squat: 1x20
Pullovers: 1x20
Stiff-legged deadlift: 1x15
Pullovers: 1x20
Bench press: 2-3 x 10
Bent row: 2-3x15
Military press: 2-3 x 12

================================================== ========

sheiko
sheiko routines (these are more geared toward straight powerlifting - very hardcore, brutal 2 - 3 hour routines - also the reps and sets are listed backwards for some reason)
http://www.ampedtraining.com/joomla/articles/sheiko-routines.html

Lucas
11-26-2008, 02:31 PM
wow thanks for that list up and the links GDA!

Since im a total noob, im going to read what you linked, but i'll probably just for the sake of being a total noob, go with the program you listed out here.

It seems like a great place to start.

I kind of felt like i was driving blind. didnt really have any direction for myself as far as a routine went.

I knew you guys would do a brother right

Thanks for helping me get started!

Lucas
11-26-2008, 08:05 PM
that site is awesome. it explains everything so clearly.

iron_leg_dave
11-26-2008, 08:32 PM
that site is awesome. it explains everything so clearly.

For sure, that is is a killer site. Also, when you are youtubing, check out that dude "scooby" all of his videos are geared to working out at home and he is fully legit. He advocates the dumbell flies over benching, but also does dumbell presses.

People have a lot of opinions on the chest in general, so what I did, was take the big three, dips, pushups and pullups and put them all into my chest workout which is three times a week now and includes the dumbell flies and presses.

Maybe because one of my biggest influences in kung fu is a marine and he always says "situps, pushups, pullups, dips, squats". Either way, I have always had a hard chest from the various hand positions of pushups, but until I combined dips, chin ups and pushups (all of them wieghted and the pushups on an incline) I never saw real growth. Literally, the first day that I finished my last set of dipping being reintroduced, before I added weight, the inside of my pecks were massively swollen and they had never been before.

That's all personal opinions and shared experiece. My only humbly real advice is this: work your forearms from the get go. Not only are these some very important muscles to us that do kung fu, but a lot of people will get pretty built up, then realize at they look wierd because they have lady wrists and have to train their forearms to catch up meanwhile feeling self conscious.

golgo
11-26-2008, 09:23 PM
if you got the room, invest in a power rack as soon as you can. you can get cheaper ones for under 300 bucks, and they'll be fine. the better ones are rated for more weight, but we got guys at my gym using our cheap one with 600lbs without incident. its not the smartest thing to do, but my point is that it will safely hold what you'll be moving for a very long time.

you might be able to find a squat stand cheaper, and it will take up far less room, but the rack is really nice if you got the room for it. plus you can bench in it as well saving space.

[edit]

few random ebay links just to give you an idea:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Body-Solid-Powerline-Power-Squat-Weight-Rack_W0QQitemZ230302628127QQcmdZViewItemQQptZExerc ise_Fitness_Strength?hash=item230302628127&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

this is the one we actually have in our gym - 329 but no bench or any attachments: http://cgi.ebay.com/Phys-X-Power-Cage-Rack-Squat-Bench-Press-etc_W0QQitemZ190263519743QQcmdZViewItemQQptZExerci se_Fitness_Strength?hash=item190263519743&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

obviously you can save yourself shipping by buying local, but i just wanted to at least give you an image in your head and an idea of dimensions in case you've never used a power rack before.

one last note DO NOT GET A SMITH MACHINE. ever. you'd be ahead to just kick yourself in the d1ck for reps.

I am actually getting ready to buy that same poweline power cage

Mr Punch
11-26-2008, 09:57 PM
In reality you don't really need to do anything other than:
Squats
Chins/pull ups
standing Overhead presses

Those 3 hit pretty much everything you need to hit.I would add deads. It's the perfect opposite number for squats. Then you have core push and pull, and overhead push and pull = better balance.

Mr Punch
11-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Not arguing with GDA or anything (he's a midget but he's way stronger than me! And has way more weights experience) but for starters I prefer NROL to Rippetoe's workouts. Rippetoe's good too, but NROL makes it easier to design your own w/os and vary the ones you're doing, so it'll raise your boredom threshold.

That w/o looks pretty tough for a beginner. NROL is tough for a beginner but it uses more break-in exercises to prepare your muscles for the horror of the full squat and dead onslaught. Plus, that w/o looks a little push heavy to me. What's the thinking behind that GDA?

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Not arguing with GDA or anything (he's a midget but he's way stronger than me! And has way more weights experience) but for starters I prefer NROL to Rippetoe's workouts. Rippetoe's good too, but NROL makes it easier to design your own w/os and vary the ones you're doing, so it'll raise your boredom threshold.

That w/o looks pretty tough for a beginner. NROL is tough for a beginner but it uses more break-in exercises to prepare your muscles for the horror of the full squat and dead onslaught. Plus, that w/o looks a little push heavy to me. What's the thinking behind that GDA?

ill have to look into NROL . . . i admit complete ignorance on the subject.

also i forgot to mention that the powercleans can be replaced with rows. they are easier to learn on your own than powercleans (imo), and it balances the push pull perfectly.

push: bench, overhead presses
pull: deadlift, rows
plus squat every workout
(powercleans are technically a pull to, but obviously more dynamic)

the main focus of the program is an efficient approach to milking newbie gains for all they are worth. to keep it simple, avoid drowning the athlete in a plethora of exercises, and develope a base strength with the most compound movements available. i believe the idea is that developing a decent amount of strength right from the get go will make future workouts more lucrative - the athlete will be moving more weight with the other exercises and have added stability while learning new movements. far too often personal trainers will put 15lb dumbelss in the new trainers hands and have them pumping out some ugly ass curls until their arms are limp like suffocated babies. instead, if the trainer insits that the athlete be able to squat, pull, and push some decent weight right from the start they'll be in a better position to do some curls that will actually be worthwhile when and if the time comes.

Mr Punch
11-28-2008, 05:32 AM
Makes sense. I wonder about starting both workouts with the squat though when the only natural and equivalent opposite move is the dead. Sure the clean is a pull, but a different dynamic and goal to the dead, surely?

NROL is just a cool book. Although it's mostly written by Lou Schuler, Alwyn Cosgrove did the workouts and the writing style is very similar. Check out Cosgrove's site (http://alwyncosgrove.com/Articles.html): if you don't like his style or what he's saying you won't like the book.

Lucas
11-28-2008, 11:15 AM
So ive been looking at form on youtube and decided to start with Bill Starr's:

Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5

with pullups and situps. i started with my streatching routine, one form 3 times (1 slow, 1 normal, 1 fast) and some quick bag work to get warmed up.

since im totally new to this and doing this alone I started real light. I'm just planning on following this program to start until i develop a sense of what i'm doing. i was going to start with an empty bar and add the weight during the sets like i had seen suggested in several places, to get form correct, but instead i decided to just go with light weights to give a little UMPH! i dont think im completely retarded and feel that i generally have a good grasp of things, so i figured a bit of weight wont do me wrong as long as im paying attention and do my homework.

was light enough not to tax me and kick my ass totally, but enough to make me feel it.

im kind of excited to see where im at in a few months, once i get it all figured out and really know where im at with weight.

Lucas
11-28-2008, 11:23 AM
next is the:

Squat 4x5
Incline or Military 4x5
Deadlift 4x5

then:

Squat 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
Bench 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
Barbell Row 4x5, 1x3, 1x8

with the assistance suggested in his write up.

the only thing is, for the first day routine it was suggested to do 'hypers'

im not exactly sure what this is referring to. I've done some searches and it seems like these are where you extend your torso into the air and do like sit ups or what not. not sure exactly. i can put the barbell on my feet and extend myself off the side of my bench to do these. is this what im looking to do for 'hypers' ?

sanjuro_ronin
11-28-2008, 01:00 PM
next is the:

Squat 4x5
Incline or Military 4x5
Deadlift 4x5

then:

Squat 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
Bench 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
Barbell Row 4x5, 1x3, 1x8

with the assistance suggested in his write up.

the only thing is, for the first day routine it was suggested to do 'hypers'

im not exactly sure what this is referring to. I've done some searches and it seems like these are where you extend your torso into the air and do like sit ups or what not. not sure exactly. i can put the barbell on my feet and extend myself off the side of my bench to do these. is this what im looking to do for 'hypers' ?

Hyper-extensions for the lower back, think reverse sit ups, done on your stomach.

Lucas
11-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Ahh. ok.

so should i do these on the floor or is it better to balance on my bench and hold some weights in my hands then extend.

Mr Punch
11-28-2008, 04:22 PM
You can't do hypers (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/WtHyperextension.html) on the floor.

Lucas
11-28-2008, 04:50 PM
sweet. i was having a problem picturing this and for some reason google wasnt giving me the answers i needed.

that gif works perfectly.

so for weights i could just hold some dumbells.

Lucas
11-28-2008, 04:52 PM
being a noob is totally awesome. im planning on getting some real effects out of this noob ****

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-29-2008, 02:10 PM
being a noob is totally awesome. im planning on getting some real effects out of this noob ****

yeah . . . settin 3 - 5 prs every workout is ****ign sweet.

it tapers off after a while - my last deadlift pr was the first in a little over a year.

madhusudan
11-29-2008, 06:41 PM
You can also check out: http://stronglifts.com/

It's pretty much the same program already been mentioned by GDA . There's lots of good info on nutrition and tips on proper form as well.

Lucas
12-02-2008, 02:05 PM
do you guys prefer the incline or military press?

incline just seems to be in between standard bench and military, would I be better of with one or the other or are they basically the same as far as the muscle groups and how they are going to be worked.

golgo
12-02-2008, 02:12 PM

incline just seems to be in between standard bench and military, would I be better of with one or the other or are they basically the same as far as the muscle groups and how they are going to be worked.

The military press is going to focus mainly on your deltoids (while also engaging your pecs, triceps, traps) and the incline press puts the focus on your pecs (while engaging your deltoids and triceps).

I prefer whichever one the current phase of my program tells me to use.

sanjuro_ronin
12-02-2008, 02:17 PM

How many times in the day do you incline press something?
How many times do you lift something over your head?
More often than not, over head is used more than incline pressing.
So...

Lucas
12-02-2008, 02:17 PM
The military press is going to focus mainly on your deltoids (while also engaging your pecs, triceps, traps) and the incline press puts the focus on your pecs (while engaging your deltoids and triceps).

I prefer whichever one the current phase of my program tells me to use.

cool. im supposed to do one or the other.

im thinking i may just alternate then or add one or the other to another day.

Mr Punch
12-02-2008, 11:31 PM
How many times in the day do you incline press something?
How many times do you lift something over your head?
More often than not, over head is used more than incline pressing.
So...TBH, I lift things at an angle over my head far more than lifting straight over my head... putting things on shelves, taking them off again, in luggage compartments etc. So your question is right, but your answer seems wrong!

Although the incline press doesn't mimic the gravity of the situation.

Lucas
12-03-2008, 04:15 PM
another noob question:

why, on deadlifts, do i see some guys with alternating grips and some with only forward grips?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-03-2008, 10:03 PM

that's the very reason the motions you described are closer to a military / overhead press, than an incline. you're still lifting objects from a standing position . .. often overhead.

both overheads and inclines are great exercises, but if i could only do one i'd pick overheads. id swap flat bench for incline before overheads. unless of course i was limited on time and really wanted to focus that t!tty burn . . . but that would be more of a bodybuilding goal. if your going for strength, and already doing flat benches, id go with overheads.

im thinking i may just alternate then or add one or the other to another day

i think you'll find that you'll get better gains by sticking with one or the other for a while before switching it up. say 6 weeks or so. swapping out every other workout may or may not be something that advanced bodybuilders do, but general athletes and powerlifters are better to stick with improving one movement for a few weeks. thats not to say you couldnt do both - but i wouldn't go back and forth. westside programs have the athlete switching more frequently to avoid burn out from all the max effort days, but that's a whole different can of worms.

why, on deadlifts, do i see some guys with alternating grips and some with only forward grips?

you should use both. use a double overhand grip until your grip starts to fail - then switch to an alternating grip when it gets heavy. i do my warm up sets with double overhand for as long as possible, but when i get somewhere between 75 - 85% i have to switch to an alternate grip.

sanjuro_ronin
12-04-2008, 06:25 AM
TBH, I lift things at an angle over my head far more than lifting straight over my head... putting things on shelves, taking them off again, in luggage compartments etc. So your question is right, but your answer seems wrong!

GDA answerd that for me.

Lucas
12-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Doh!

I started with the inclines, because my bench does that so its easier to do with more weight than the overheads by myself. i guess ill just stick with those for now.

ya the grip thing made a lot more sense once i got into it.

i think im getting addicted already. too bad i didnt get into this in my early 20s. but at least hill be hittin it before my 30s roll up on me next year.

sanjuro_ronin
12-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Doh!

I started with the inclines, because my bench does that so its easier to do with more weight than the overheads by myself. i guess ill just stick with those for now.

ya the grip thing made a lot more sense once i got into it.

i think im getting addicted already. too bad i didnt get into this in my early 20s. but at least hill be hittin it before my 30s roll up on me next year.

Strength tends to peak in your 30's by the way....

Lucas
12-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Strength tends to peak in your 30's by the way....

ya thats what i was refering too. at least i got on board before my peak. i want my peak to be worth it. :D

Mr Punch
12-07-2008, 05:16 PM
GDA answerd that for me.Gotcha both. Makes sense.

Strength tends to peak in your 30's by the way.... Not for me baby, I only started seriously in my 30s and I'm getting stronger! If you're talking about general human potential... who cares!? Make your own!

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Not for me baby, I only started seriously in my 30s and I'm getting stronger! If you're talking about general human potential... who cares!? Make your own!

word . . .. even if thats physiologically true (i say if because i refuse to concede to this particular aspect of science), that doesn't mean that you wont continue to make advancements in technique and training that allow you to accomplish more well beyond the time your body was the best prepared for it.

also . .. i understand sanjuro wasn't saying you get one last chance to set a squat pr on your 36th birthday and thats it, but i gotta keep telling myself that i still got time to set some records.