PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Ahmet

GeneChing
12-01-2008, 10:58 AM
I caught a preview of NBC's new reality show, Superstars of Dance, and there were performers in monk robes (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45001.html) jumping about, doing what looked like a typical Shaolin-style demo. I couldn't find a vid of the ad yet. Anyone else see it?

NBC Schedule Changes to Impact Four Nights (http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_display/news/national-broadcast/e3i0616fa397950957fe71796315470be39)
Encore telecasts of SVU will step into the Wednesday 9 p.m. hour in January, giving struggling Life a much-needed break...

...Superstars of Dance, a new reality/competition from the producers of So You Think You Can Dance?, will open with a two-hour installment on Sunday, Jan. 4 from 9-11 p.m. One night later it moves into its regularly scheduled Monday 8-10 p.m. block, leading into Ryan Seacrest relationship-driven hour Momma’s Boys. Tuesdays will remain unchanged care of The Biggest Loser: Couples (which returns on January 6), followed by Law & Order: SVU.

DeHui702
12-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Wouldn't surprise me! I'm noticing a lot of the younger kung fu students are also break dancing and learning hip-hop moves. Others are taking gymnastics. Good diversity.

GeneChing
12-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Still nothing on the NBC site (http://www.nbc.com/) about it though. The ad promotes it as a global competition and the segment with the Shaolin-robe clad dancers looks like a typical Shaolin show demo (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47931).

I've never been that into dance shows, but I may have to tune into this one. If they win - dang - that'd be coverworthy.

LFJ
12-02-2008, 02:30 PM
i saw the commercial. looked like they took scenes from the wheel of life dvd.

TaichiMantis
12-22-2008, 01:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EutEn0B32Ag

Also, watched NatGeo's Secrets of the Kung Fu Temple (http://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/news/article_1448844.php/Nat_Geos_Secrets_of_the_Kung_Fu_Temple_this_Thursd ay_Dec._18)this past Thursday. They showed footage of a Belgian coreographer working with the monks on a new show that was to debut in London. Apparently the abbot gave the thumbs up on it. I wonder if the group that is performing in this new show is official or "unofficial"....:confused:

Nebuchadnezzar
12-22-2008, 02:37 PM
I caught a preview of NBC's new reality show, Superstars of Dance, and there were performers in monk robes (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45001.html) jumping about, doing what looked like a typical Shaolin-style demo. I couldn't find a vid of the ad yet. Anyone else see it?

I was wondering who would start this thread. :D

I've seen the commercial/promo at least 4 times. One side says, "Huh?" and the other says, "Oh well".

If these are "Shaolin Monks" then clearly the legitmacy of Shaolin in the eyes of the public has taken another blow.

GeneChing
12-23-2008, 10:51 AM
I disagree, Nebuchadnezzar. You're coming from a martial myopic position. For centuries, Shaolin kung fu has been, among other things, a performing art. Sure, there's traditional practice and combat training and all that stuff, but there's also performance. One of the biggest problems with conceptualizing Shaolin is that many martial artists don't know the history. They believe that Shaolin can only be one thing - traditional or not ('not' is usually interpreted as 'performance' or 'modern wushu'). The truth of the matter is that performance is a part of the tradition and has been for centuries. There's nothing wrong with martial performance. You can't to use it in a fight, but it's very entertaining to the general public. And any outreach to the general public is a good thing. The more people understand about Shaolin, the better. Other religious traditions have gone into performance such as ritual dances (ie. whirling dervishes, native sun dances, yogic vinyasa) and song (church chorus, chanting). It's a way to reach those who don't do martial arts and never will.

I do agree with TaichiMantis in wondering if it's official or not. I'm interested in that mostly because I follow the politics of Shaolin. I don't think it will effect the content of the dance/demo team significantly. Shaolin shows are pretty standard, for the most part, and this one doesn't look like it'll have anything new to show, except for the unique platform.

IronFist
01-04-2009, 09:58 PM
It was pretty cool but I'm not too sure how it was a "dance."

brothernumber9
01-05-2009, 06:06 AM
I saw it. I have never seen Wheel of Life, so I thought it was a very entertaining demonstration. But like was said, I don't see how they were scored so high in a dance competition.
If I was the Indian or South African groups, I'd be kinda bitter. I thought at least one of the judges would have pulled out a "6" and give an opinion of lack of dance. And to top it off, what kind of credentials would a "Shaolin Monk" have to judge a dance competition? I was like WTF.

WinterPalm
01-05-2009, 08:50 AM
At least they were honest about it and just called it a dance.:cool:

YouKnowWho
01-05-2009, 10:19 AM
At least they were honest about it and just called it a dance.:cool:
It's pretty sad that China tries to convert a combat art into a dancing art. If I was in the audience seat, I would feel ashamed to be a Chinese and I would stand up and leave.

sha0lin1
01-06-2009, 08:29 AM
I agree they seem out of place since most dancing does not involve combat applications. However, consider this. If dance can be defined as a set of choreographed movements of the human body then aren't martial arts forms a kind of dance? I watched the solo chain whip form last night and was impressed that the judge from South Africa, who seems to be kind of a hard ass, caught the half ass butterfly twist the monk did. Does anyone know who the Brit is that argued with him?

David Jamieson
01-06-2009, 06:13 PM
what utter crap. two thumbs down.

booo hisss booo

etc.

GeneChing
01-06-2009, 06:29 PM
I went to sleep early and missed it completely. Yesterday, my wife says "I'm surprised you didn't watch it. I did." Sheesh. Coulda woke me up...:rolleyes:

The full episode is here. (http://www.nbc.com/superstars-of-dance/) Maybe I'll watch it later...

Football Tramples ‘Superstars of Dance’ (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/arts/television/06arts-FOOTBALLTRAM_BRF.html?ref=television)
By BENJAMIN TOFF; Compiled by DAVE ITZKOFF
Published: January 5, 2009

The two-hour premiere of NBC’s reality show “Superstars of Dance” delivered 10.4 million viewers on Sunday, according to Nielsen’s estimates. Those results were not enough to lift NBC out of fourth place for the night as that network drew only 5.7 million viewers for a sports-theme “Saturday Night Live” special. Fox was in first place overall, due largely to an overrun of its afternoon football coverage. The final part of Fox’s broadcast of the National Football League wild card playoff game attracted well over 20 million viewers during the 7 p.m. hour. CBS was runner-up with “60 Minutes” (12.3 million), “Million Dollar Password” (10.4 million), “Cold Case” (12.7 million) and “The Unit” (9.7 million). ABC was third as “Desperate Housewives” (14.3 million) was the night’s highest rated nonsports show.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009
19 Entertainment and CKX Score Another Hit With Superstars of Dance (http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/media/entertainment-ckx-score-hit-superstars-dance-394193068/)

NEW YORK, Jan 06, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ ----Two-Hour Premiere of International Dance Show on NBC Watched by More Than 10 Million Viewers

19 Entertainment Limited, a division of CKX, Inc. (Nasdaq: CKXE) today hailed the successful premiere of its new television show, Superstars of Dance, which aired on NBC on Sunday night.

Superstars of Dance, an international dance show that pits skilled dancers from eight different nations against each other in an Olympic-style competition, is hosted by Michael Flatley (Lord of the Dance) and Susie Castillo (TRL and House of Payne). The show was created and is executive produced by Simon Fuller, the Chief Executive Officer of 19 Entertainment and a director of CKX, and Nigel Lythgoe, the executive producer and co-star of So You Think You Can Dance. Following its debut Sunday night, Superstars of Dance aired its second two-hour episode Monday night at 8 PM ET/PT and is scheduled to continue its run Mondays at 8PM ET/PT through the series finale, scheduled for January 26.

Commenting on the show's successful premier, Robert F.X. Sillerman, the Chairman and CEO of CKX said, "This is the third collaboration between Simon Fuller and Nigel Lythgoe. Their first two efforts, American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance, have proven to be international hits and we are hopeful that Superstars of Dance will follow the same path."

Mr. Sillerman noted that Superstars of Dance is the first offering from a new venture between 19 Entertainment and Mr. Lythgoe. He added, "We have high hopes that together we will produce additional winners. January should prove to be the beginning of an exciting year for CKX, with the new season of American Idol debuting on January 13, the recent addition of tennis superstar Andy Murray to the 19 Entertainment global roster of talent, and the success of Superstars of Dance."

19 Entertainment, a division of CKX, is one of the most successful entertainment organizations in the world having created and produced hit television properties including American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance, and with its relationships and partnerships with some of the biggest names in sports, music and fashion, including David Beckham, Victoria Beckham, Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Chris Daughtry, Roland Mouret and the recently added tennis superstar, Andy Murray.

About CKX, Inc.

CKX, Inc. is engaged in the ownership, development and commercial utilization of entertainment content. To date, the Company has focused on acquiring globally recognized entertainment content and related assets, including the rights to the name, image and likeness of Elvis Presley, the operations of Graceland, the rights to the name, image and likeness of Muhammad Ali and proprietary rights to the IDOLS television brand, including the American Idol series in the United States and local adaptations of the IDOLS television show format which, collectively, air in more than 100 countries. For more information about CKX, Inc., visit its corporate website at www.ckx.com.

And if that didn't confuse you enough, check out the official website description of the China team:

CHINA (http://www.nbc.com/superstars-of-dance/about/countries/china/index.shtml)

Matthew Ahmet of Britain serves as coach for Team China. As a troubled teen, Ahmet went to China and found his way by becoming a Shaolin monk. The judge for Team China is Master Haiyang Wang. Master Wang is the natural successor to become abbott of his Shaolin temple. Performing for Team China are a traditional Chinese ribbon dancer soloist, a double whip soloist, an acrobatic ballet duo, and the Shaolin monks' kung fu group "Shaolin: Wheel of Life" - known as the greatest performers of kung fu for 15 years and in 40 countries.

GeneChing
01-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Anyone across the pond know Matthew Ahmet?

From Middlesex school boy to Shaolin monk: Enter the (terribly suburban) dragon (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1085707/From-Middlesex-school-boy-Shaolin-monk-Enter-terribly-suburban-dragon.html)
By Amanda Cable
Last updated at 1:24 AM on 15th November 2008

He's the ordinary north London boy who became a Chinese warrior monk. And his story is as astonishing as it is inspiring

Matthew Ahmet is 20 and he's hard - well hard. His head is shaved, and his body bears the ravages of a violent life. A mark on his forehead shows where a metal bar came crashing down on his skull. His forearms have been sliced repeatedly by razor-sharp knives and his left arm has a 'punishment' burn from boiling water.

So when he sits down, flashes a beautiful smile and talks about spreading happiness and peace, it comes as a great surprise. Because Matthew left his home in Enfield, north London, at the age of 17, to become a Shaolin monk in China. In doing so, he renounced all the worldly belongings that are the staple diet of teenage life, and entered a gruelling regime of training, sacrifice - and punishment.

Each mark on his body bears testament to this new and extraordinary life. Matthew says, 'Recently, I went to visit an old schoolfriend of mine, who is at Manchester University. I met him at the digs he shares with his friends and I was stunned.

There were dirty clothes everywhere, unwashed dishes and belongings just thrown around. In China, I wash my own robes in a bucket of cold water, which I also use to bathe in. I sleep on a bunk bed with no mattress, lying directly on a plank of wood.

Everything in my new life is so neat and disciplined that I can't imagine being a typical student now.'

Does this earnest young man, who looks like a feral youth but who is in fact gentle and thoughtful, miss anything about his 'old life'?

He says with a brilliant smile, 'Hot showers. When I do go home, I love the luxury of being able to have hot water running over my body.'

The extraordinary transformation of an ordinary teenager into wannabe monk began nine years ago, when China's famed Shaolin monks performed their extraordinary show of martial arts and physical feats at London's Dominion Theatre.

Matthew says, 'I was 11 and my older brother and cousin took me along to see the show. I was quite interested in martial arts, and I liked watching Jackie Chan films, but nothing could have prepared me for this.

I sat in the audience absolutely mesmerised. The show started just like it still does today, with a candle burning and soft chanting before the monks start demonstrating gentle tai chi moves.

Suddenly, it all explodes into wonderful combat sequences and incredible feats of human endurance. The monks walk up stairways made from razor-sharp knives, lie on beds of knives with concrete slabs on top of them, and break metal bars over their own heads - showing how they can overcome pain.

But it was when I saw a monk do a handstand, supporting himself on just two index fingers, that I thought, "Wow. I want to be that strong." I vowed that one day, I would be on stage with the monks.'

On the way back to the three-bedroom home that he shared with his parents and two brothers, Matthew was strangely quiet. A new dream had been born.

He says, 'People say that there is often a moment in life where everything changes, and for me, it was watching that one performance. I knew immediately that all I wanted to do in life was go to China and join the Shaolin monks. When I got home, I told Mum and Dad, and I think they assumed it was just a passing phase. But they were wrong.

'I found a small local martial arts club and, as I grew better and better, I started training with a private teacher at five every morning, before school.

Meanwhile, I researched everything I could about the monks, and downloaded pictures of them from the internet to plaster all over my bedroom walls. I wanted to wear impressive robes like the orange ones they wear for their performances, so I borrowed the sewing machines at school and made myself some.'

When Matthew was 15, his Turkish-born father, Metin, was diagnosed-with testicular cancer and was admitted to hospital for the first of two major operations. Matthew, his mother, Penny, a professor, and his brothers sat in vigil by the bedside.

Matthew says, 'Watching Dad in so much pain was the most awful time of my life. He was so brave - he became my total inspiration. But watching him lying in his hospital bed, so sick, convinced me that life is too short.

My teachers wanted me to do A-levels and then go to university. I realised that I didn't want to waste any precious time - I wanted to follow my dream.'

When his father had recovered, Matthew, who had passed seven GCSEs, begged his stunned parents to allow him to fly, alone, to China. He says, 'My martial arts master in London had direct links with the Shaolin monks in China and approached them on my behalf. They agreed to give me a one-year trial to see if I could withstand the regime.

Dad wasn't keen at all. He wanted me to carry on studying. But Mum understood that it was something I had trained for years to do. She agreed to pay for my flight and said I could try it for a year.'

In June 2005, the Ahmet family gathered at the airport to wave Matthew off. He says, 'We were all in tears. My martial arts master had arranged for me to travel with an old Chinese man, who could deliver me to the monk's temple.

But when we got on the plane, I realised he didn't speak any English. When we arrived in China, all the signs were in Chinese characters, and I couldn't understand anything. I suddenly felt really alone.

It took 14 hours to reach this man's village by car, and after staying overnight we set off for another nine-hour drive. I sat in the back of a tiny van on top of my case, and I was absolutely terrified. No one wears seatbelts in China, and they all smoke and chat as they drive.'

When Matthew arrived at the Shaolin monastery in remote province of Henan, he was given plain grey robes and shown to a sparse dormitory with a concrete floor, no windows and rows of plain bunk beds.

He said, 'My bed had no mattress, just a thin pillow and a blanket. The next morning, we were woken at five to go running up a mountain. I learned that training each day is the same - after reaching the top, we crawl back down on our hands and feet, like crabs, to build up our muscles.

At the bottom, we stretch and pull our legs for 20 minutes, then, at seven o'clock, we stop for breakfast - boiled vegetables and rice.

'From eight to 11, we continue training, with a 30-minute run to warm us up again. Then, we spend an hour on hard stretches, which include raising our straight leg and putting our foot into our own mouth. At midday it is lunch - vegetables and rice again - and then a two-hour sleep followed by training until nine at night.

'By the second day, my calves and hamstrings were hurting so much I couldn't walk. But I learned that if you stay in bed, you are pulled out onto the floor - and if you don't line up outside quickly, you are whipped around the legs with bamboo canes, which really hurts.

'The first few weeks were incredibly painful and lonely. I wasn't able to ring my mum and I lost over a stone in weight. But my pride just kept me going. I didn't want to admit defeat, and I also saw children aged four and five training alongside us, doing the same punishing exercises.

If they could do it, then so could I. Finally, after about a month, I started to understand the language and I learned to carry on through the pain, and to conquer it.'

Within a year, Matthew was able to join the famed Shaolin monk performing troupe, which had so inspired him as a child. That summer, his mother flew to China to see him. He says, 'I did look different - my head was completely shaved and I had lost so much weight - but she could see that I was happy.'

Did he not miss the teenage temptations of alcohol - and girls? Matthew shrugs. 'I had never drunk alcohol because I didn't like the smell. And even though I had gone out with girls at school, I never wanted to just have casual sex. I felt it was too disrespectful.'

Now, on his tours of the UK with the Shaolin monks, Matthew can be seen on stage performing incredible feats. He says, 'If I do feel pain, and it does hurt, I always think back to my dad lying in his hospital bed and how brave he was. That image helps me rise above the pain.'

Matthew visits schools to talk about the monks and Buddhism. He says, 'I want to teach kids that you can be cool without being violent.

My friends had knives when I was younger, but if I can persuade just one boy to put down a knife and train in a proper discipline like tai chi, my work will be worthwhile.'

And Matthew hasn't completely forsaken girls: he is marrying 20-year-old Chinese student Chang Chun on 25 January - his parents' wedding anniversary. He says, 'I am allowed to marry because I haven't taken my full vows as a monk.

I want to continue as part of the Shaolin monks, perhaps moving back to Britain.'

Matthew sits back and flashes a brilliant smile. 'I see plenty of other lads my age who have shaved heads and scars. But none of them smile the way that I do.'

You can't argue with that.

Shaolin Monks: Wheel Of Life is on at the Hackney Empire, London, until 22 November, www.hackneyempire.co.uk

GeneChing
01-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Heck, I'm a sujiadizi. I've never called myself a Shaolin monk. I've called myself the real fake monk, but that's a different story.

British monk giving new fame to Shaolin kung fu (http://bjtoday.ynet.com/article.jsp?oid=46465445&pageno=1)
by (08/12/05 23:59)

By Han Manman

Matthew Ahmet was an ordinary teenager from north London four years ago. But after he graduated from high school, he chose a path less taken – he dcided to become a Shaolin monk.

Wanting to become a kung fu master like his idol Bruce Lee, Ahmet gave up the carefree life of a young man and entered a world of training, discipline and punishment.

After years of hard work, his dream to become a “master” has come true. He is one of the “kung fu stars” in a popular group of performing Shaolin monks, who are on a world tour that included a show in his hometowKung fu show in London

Although the UK leg of the tour ended last week, 20-year-old Ahmet still remembers the excitement. “All of my friends, my parents, even people I don’t know who saw me on TV came backstage to say I did well. Thesaid seeing a Westerner (doing kung fu) on stage made them feel inspired that their dreams can also come true,” he said. Ahmet denied he was chosen to perform because he is the only foreigner in the Shaolin temple, located in Henan Province. He said it was his skill that became his ticket into the group. “I am at a high level, like most masters on the team.ife in the Shaolin temple

Ahmet’s visit to London seemed o have taken him full circle. His transformation from an ordinary boy into a monk began nine years ago, when Shaolin monks staged a martial arts show in London.

“At that time, I liked Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Jet Li But nothing prepared me for what I saw! A monk did a handstand, supporting his weight with just two fingers.” The then 11-year-old Ahmet whispered to himself, “I want to be that strong.” And his dream was borHe began to train at a small local martial arts club. As his skill improved, he started working with a private teacher at 5 am every day, before going to school. At 16, Ahmet went to the famed Shaolin Temple with the help of his London teacher, who had links with the Shaolin monks.

“Every day we’d wake up at 5 am and train throughout the day until around 9 pm. We’d do stretching, fighting exercises and practikung fu forms,” he said.

“The first few weeks were incredibly painful and lonely for me. I wasn’t able to ring my mum and I lost over a stone (6.35 kilograms) in weight. But my pride kept me going. I didn’t want to admit defeat, and lso saw children aged four to five training alongside me, doing the same punishing exercises,” he said. “If they could do it, then so could I. Finally, after about a month, I learned to carry on through the pain, ando conquer it.”Ahmet has himself become a kung fu coach at the temple, teaching around 30 students. “Most of my students are Chinese, then there’s the odd westerner for a week or so throughout the year,” he saidDuring his UK tour, Ahmet also visited schools to talk about Buddhism and being a monk. “I want to teach kids that they can be cool without being violent,” he said. “As a Shaolin disciple, I’ve learkung fu ... but helping others and spreading happiness is an important goal in my life.” When asked if he has even once regretted the decision to give up a life in Britain to become a monk, Ahmet said: “I’ve never regretted the cision to go to Shaolin. It’s a dream come true!inding true love

It was also at the Shaolin temple that Ahmet met the love of his life. He is marrying Chang Chunyan, a 20-year-old student, on January 25 – his parets’ wedding anniversary. The temple has allowed him to get married because he is classified as asujiadizi, a person who has trained at the monastery, but who is not a Buddhist cleric.

“Chang is the love of my life and wehave been together for more than two years. She is also pregnant with our first baby and I can’t wait for the child to be born,” he saidAhmet will be traveling to Los Angeles next week for the US leg of their world tour. “Chang will come with me. Many of my mother’s relatives live in LA, so they can all meet my future wife,” he saidWhile Ahmet is excited to have a family with his fiancee, he also wants to continue being a ung fu” ambassador. In the process, he may even get a chance to work with his movie idols.“Hopefully, I could work with some of my matial arts idols like Jackie Chan. Since all my dreams have come true so far, I can’t see why these dreams can’t come true either,” he said.

David Jamieson
01-06-2009, 06:52 PM
that's show business G~

the ***** Goddess herself.
there is no end to the shameless lies that spew forth from her. :p

c'est la vie. :)

IronFist
01-07-2009, 04:15 PM
The monk gives everyone a rating of "ba, 8"

(or maybe he's saying pa, or pha, or ppa, or bha, or bba... I have a hell of a time hearing the difference in languages that have multiple versions of the same consonant... like Korean, which is the worst. I've written essays on how impossible it is for native English speakers to understand spoken Korean. Don't even get me started)

Anyway, every time they're judging and it gets to him, I say "BA! EIGHT!" And then he says "ba, 8!" I think he gave someone a 9 on Monday. I was like :eek:

And the Russian judge makes Russian jokes.

(paraphrased)

"All Russians are watching this on secret KGB websites"

"China is right next to Russia. We are like brothers. 9!"

"This morning Kremlin, where Russian government lives, called [insert their dancers name] and said 'if you don't do well, you will be dancing in Siberia for the next 10 years!'."

"They say Russians like to drink vodka in the morning. Not true!! Sometimes we like cognac!"

Really?? Can we have some more jokes? You're so funny. Really. :D

For real tho, I thought the last round of Russian Cossack (spelling?) dancers were awesome, and they got low scores. That dance they do where it's like one legged squats (pistols) is **** HARD and they deserved at least an 8 just for being able to do it. I've tried for years and can't even do it once. I can do pistols, but I can't do their dance.

And I agree it's a DANCE show. The monks are bad ass, but they're not really dancing. I have the same opinion about the first American popper. He was incredibly talented, but that's not really dancing when all you do is pop the whole time.

sha0lin1
01-09-2009, 08:25 AM
The reason the cozack (sp?) dancers got low scores is because the judges thought they should be dancing in unison when they were not soloing. Which they weren't doing. While the majority of the dancers rotated clockwise on their spins, some rotated counterclockwise. As for the popper, when he came out I was like c'mon, out of all the dancers and styles in the U.S. we use this guy to represent us. I thought he looked kinda silly. From here on out I don't think the monks will do very well with the judges unless the judges can get their minds around what I said in a previous post about forms and dancing being similar, if not one in the same.

Songshan
01-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Anyone across the pond know Matthew Ahmet?

Matthew Ahmet buddhist name is Shi Yan Wu. Matthew Ahmet trained and lived at Shaolin for 4 years. He was also a part of the Shaolin Wheel of life tour. I have heard nothing but good about him and his skills are exceptional. I don't know which school he is affiliated with at Shaolin but here his a video about him on you tube and my space page:

Shi Yan Wu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63fNw2ooSYY&feature=channel_page)

My Space (http://www.myspace.com/shiyanwu)

GeneChing
01-12-2009, 10:31 AM
...but I have practice. Besides two hours of tv time is a lot to invest for me. I still haven't watched the pilot on the web. It would be really cool if someone could post the time codes for the Shaolin portion of the webcast here.

GeneChing
01-13-2009, 10:53 AM
..it was odd. The styles of dance are so different that it's difficult to judge against each other. And the competitors are going more for stunt dancing than smooth choreography. They do some fabulous stunts, but their pretty rough on the edges. It's not nearly as effortless as competitive ballroom dancing. I didn't see any of the monks dancing. Does China have any other competitors other than the monks? China is getting its ass kicked in this show. I think it's because they sent a lame judge.

The monk judge is very, very odd. Contrary to what one member of this forum told me (who will remain unnamed) it's not the abbot. I don't know who it is. I phished around on the official site for a I couldn't find any info on the judges and decided it was a waste of my time. You'd think they'd be able to find someone in China that could don a monk robe and speak just a smattering of English.

I thought all the judges were a little odd. Who are these people who get to judge on TV reality competition shows like this? I'd love to see the judges for SSoD in a Clue (http://www.hasbro.com/clue/)-like mystery where they all had to solve a murder or something. Given the SSoD judges panel, I think that would be a very entertaining show.

I found the timing of the program to be really irritating. A dance, then commercials, then judging that dance, then commercials, then another dance, lather, rinse, repeat. It made for a lot of commercials and not enough dance.

What is it about Michael Flatley? Did he get a clause in his contract to assure that every time the camera is on him, it is lit so his eyes have extra twinkle?

Next week, there's supposed to be some face off between the U.S. street dancers and the monks. That might be amusing, but it'll probably happen early, before I get home from practice.

sha0lin1
01-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Hey Gene,

Xing Ying says the judge was a monk, he used to know him, but he left the temple a long time ago. He says that once you leave it is very hard to come back so he is not sure why he is there. Over X-mas he was out in Cali and he met some of the monks that were on the show.

Michael Flatley is really a Leprechaun, that is why he has that twinkle in his eye.

Susie Castillo is hot though, I wish she were running the show. I missed Monday's episode because I was teaching class and my wife somehow screwed up my recording, what did the monks do?

GeneChing
01-14-2009, 03:21 PM
But next week should be good - some sort of throw down between the U.S. hip hop dancers and the monks. If the monks are smart, they'll just hand the hip hoppers 3-section staffs (http://www.martialartsmart.net/25-31.html) and chain whips (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-29.html) and let them knock themselves silly ala the Italian mobster in Return of the Dragon. Either that, or challenge them to a real breaking contest - Shaolin style - with bricks and sticks. ;)

And I must have been blind when I went looking for that judge's name.

The judge for Team China is Master Haiyang Wang. (http://www.nbc.com/superstars-of-dance/about/countries/china/index.shtml) Master Wang is the natural successor to become abbott of his Shaolin temple.
I'm questioning his claim to be the next natural successor. I've heard that before (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=122).

doug maverick
01-14-2009, 03:26 PM
i liked this show. but idk what the hell shaolin is doing there. but the american group is good. but not that good. **** any crew from americas best dance crew would slaughter them.

nolte13
01-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Mm...agreed.

They should just bring in Yuri Tag from Kabba and let her stand on stage for a couple minutes brushing her hair.

That'd be enough for my vote.

Songshan
01-18-2009, 08:56 PM
But next week should be good - some sort of throw down between the U.S. hip hop dancers and the monks. If the monks are smart, they'll just hand the hip hoppers 3-section staffs (http://www.martialartsmart.net/25-31.html) and chain whips (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-29.html) and let them knock themselves silly ala the Italian mobster in Return of the Dragon. Either that, or challenge them to a real breaking contest - Shaolin style - with bricks and sticks. ;)

And I must have been blind when I went looking for that judge's name.

I'm questioning his claim to be the next natural successor. I've heard that before (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=122).

Yeah Gene, I don't think they mean the Shaolin Temple....the way it was written they have it as "his" shaolin temple. Maybe they are referring to his school or something? :confused:

Gene, have you ever spoken with Matthew Ahmet before?

GeneChing
01-19-2009, 01:40 PM
...there are so many disciples now. It's hard to keep track. :o

Tonight's the Shaolin vs. Groovaloo showdown, but I'm going to blow it off. I got practice and Papa's got some new shoes (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=906894#post906894).

GeneChing
01-20-2009, 10:36 AM
The Shaolin vs. Groovaloo was silly. They filmed it like an old scratchy kung fu flick and it was just the two groups busting moves, but not really interacting. There was no improvisational interaction - no real dialog - between the troupes, so it was really pointless. It was also really short. I was very disappointed.

sha0lin1
01-21-2009, 06:10 AM
Yeah, what a waste of film, when they said they were gonna do it, I thought they would do it live. Totally stupid.

GeneChing
01-21-2009, 11:15 AM
His command of English is what makes him crucial to SSoD. They couldn't even get an English-speaking Chinese judge...

Martial Arts Monks To Hit Cheshunt (http://www.herald24.co.uk/content/herald/news/story.aspx?brand=EHHOnline&category=NewsEastHerts&tBrand=HertsCambsOnline&tCategory=newslatestEHH&itemid=WEED20%20Jan%202009%2017%3A20%3A27%3A980)
17:12 - 20 January 2009
MONK MAGIC: Shaolin Kung Fu is on its way to Cheshunt

WARRIOR monks will be plying their trade at a new Shaolin Kung Fu class at Cheshunt's Grundy Park Leisure Centre.

The centre, off Windmill Lane, has become the first ever UK training ground for the monks of the Shaolin Temple.

The classes will be held on Tuesdays and Fridays at 5pm and Saturdays at 10am and will cost £6 for under 16s and £8 for 16 years and over.

The classes will be taken by Matthew Ahmet who was awarded the Buddhist name "Shi Yan Wu" meaning 34th generation Disciple of Shaolin temple Abbot Shi Yong Xin in 2006.

Matthew moved to China when he was 16 to train to be a Shaolin Monk. His martial skills include traditional Shaolin fists, modern Wushu fists, Shaolin animal fists, Shaolin acrobatics and ground acrobatics, and many more including two finger handstands and breaking bricks with his head.

* For more information about Matthew or to book onto the classes please call him on 07505 013735.

richard sloan
01-21-2009, 11:52 AM
I mean, it's an interesting theme and one which has been touched on before, the relationship between break dancing and kung fu, we had a segment with Nat G I think it was where they brought in Crazy Legs who sometimes trains with us, and they did a pretty cool piece...but these guys seem a little too fluffy and less gritty if that makes sense.

doug maverick
01-21-2009, 12:36 PM
honestly im not impressed by most of the dancers on that show. i always end up agreeing with the south african judge. the american hip hop group is alright but they are soft, any crew from americas best dance crew could probably stomp them. and shaolin wtf are they doing there.

GeneChing
01-26-2009, 02:44 PM
I was so done with SSoD last week, but there's no practice tonight because of Chinese New Years, so I might tune in anyway. I'm just hoping that the monks get slighted, then get ****ed off and then beat the snot out of all the other competitors. That would be a real showstopper. If only... :rolleyes:

doug maverick
01-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I was so done with SSoD last week, but there's no practice tonight because of Chinese New Years, so I might tune in anyway. I'm just hoping that the monks get slighted, then get ****ed off and then beat the snot out of all the other competitors. That would be a real showstopper. If only... :rolleyes:

that would be awesome, and all the dancers are running and screaming, Michael flatly gets flattened(couldnt resist saying that). and all the people in the audience thinks its apart of the show and are applauding like the monkeys they are.

BoulderDawg
01-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Missed the show this week....watched it last week

Where did they get the "Superstars" from?:confused:

Most of the people on that show were good dancers but "Superstars"? Last week they even had a couple on there doing a magic show by changing clothes really quick. Like one of the judges said, it would make for a nice Las Vegas lounge act but it had nothing to do with the art of dancing.

The wushu monks....yawn

doug maverick
01-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Missed the show this week....watched it last week

Where did they get the "Superstars" from?:confused:

Most of the people on that show were good dancers but "Superstars"? Last week they even had a couple on there doing a magic show by changing clothes really quick. Like one of the judges said, it would make for a nice Las Vegas lounge act but it had nothing to do with the art of dancing.

The wushu monks....yawn

i agree most of them are mediocre and they wonder why they south african judge rips them a new one. even the american team sucks cause like i said in an ealier post any crew from americas best dance crew can shut them down.

GeneChing
07-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Did anyone tell Ahmet and the UK news that Shaolin is not going to be an Olympic event? Someone should since 2012 is London (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54699)...:rolleyes:

Shaolin Monk has training school and Olympics in his sights (http://www.enfieldindependent.co.uk/news/4504549.Shaolin_Monk_has_training_school_and_Olymp ics_in_his_sights/)
3:51pm Tuesday 21st July 2009

THE only British member of the performing Shaolin monks, who broke his leg last week, has pledged to train future generations for martial arts Olympic glory.

Matthew Ahmet, one of a troupe of “kung fu monks” who wow audiences across the world with their implausible feats, says he wants to set up a training school for children, but needs help.

For the past five months Mr Ahmet, 20, originally of Edmonton, has been holding classes at the Grundy Park Leisure Centre in some of the arts he learned over three years at the Shaolin temple in China.

He and a band of children from six upwards recently finished a gruelling schedule of 27 performances at schools and open days in and around Enfield.

The performances combine traditional animal movements with dazzling sequences of mid-air twists and backflips, some of which involve springing off the head.

Mr Ahmet said: “I want to help the kids make something out of their lives. When they get to a certain level they can make money, it becomes a career choice for them. I have already applied for Britain’s Got Talent in 2010, with about 20 kids, and to make a show. I’m thinking some of these kids could train to be in the Olympics.”

Mum Angela Anderson, of Cheshunt, whose daughter Iyanu, 11 and son Oni 8 are part of the troupe said the experience had taught them discipline and confidence.

She said: “I really think what he has done for my children is unbelievable. They were complete beginners six months ago, now Oni is flipping out of bed every morning.“ Last week disaster struck in the last stages of the final performance, when Mr Ahmet caught his toe on a clump of grass, broke his leg and dislocated his foot. None of the children were hurt.

It has left him unable to perform for the rest of the year, forcing him to drop the Shaolin Monks’ Wheel of Life tour, planned for the autumn, in which he has appeared for the past few years.

Mr Ahmet, who maintains that he develops children’s strength and flexibility to minimise the risk of them getting injured, says now that he wants to raise money for a set of gym mats, a van and the hire of a proper venue and create a training school to realise his dream and to prevent this from happening again.

He said: “What I want to prove – and of course I am very young – is that if you dedicate yourself to something you can make something of it. I am not some amazing guy, I am training hard and training them properly. And we have been blowing people away like nobody’s business.“ Anyone willing to provide help with fundraising, promotion, or free transport should email him on courage2stand@gmail.com

GeneChing
06-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Can the Shaolin dance team beat a Madonna drag artist?

Britain's Got Talent: Madonna drag artist and Impressionist Paul Burling prove big hits with judges (http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv-entertainment/britainsgottalent/2010/06/03/britain-s-got-talent-madonna-drag-artist-and-impressionist-paul-burling-prove-big-hits-with-judges-115875-22305696/)
3/06/2010
Britain's Got Talent

Showbiz wannabe Philip Grimmer takes what he hopes is another giant step from drags to riches last night.

And the zany 57-year-old won a thumbs up from the panel on Britain's Got Talent as he performed Madonna's Hung Up with a line-up of hunky fellas. Judge Piers Morgan told him: "If Madonna was watching step aside 'cos there's a new kid on the block."

The panel declared it the best night yet. Impressionist Paul Burling (above) had even Simon Cowell in stitches and Starburst dazzled. Tonight features hotly-tipped dancers Shaolin Team, led by Matthew Ahmet, 21, back to fitness after a triple leg break.

TaichiMantis
06-03-2010, 09:08 AM
led by Matthew Ahmet, 21, back to fitness after a triple leg break.

Yikes!:eek:

GeneChing
06-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Shaolin eliminated from BGT. Ahmet should just stop with this now. If he's not going to win, he should not front the Shaolin name so. ;)

Cheshunt’s Shaolin Team bow out of Britain’s Got Talent (http://www.herts24.co.uk/home/cheshunt_s_shaolin_team_bow_out_of_britain_s_got_t alent_1_400697)
By Paul Christian, Reporter Friday, 4 June, 2010
13:51 PM

A GROUP of performing Shaolin monks from Cheshunt were eliminated from Britain’s Got Talent last night (Thursday).

Shaolin Team UK, a martial arts group from Cheshunt, which trains at Grundy Park Leisure Centre, lost out to dance duo Twist and Pulse and octogenarian singer Janey Cutler.

Shaolin Team have been described as a “unique group, led by a man who trained as a shaolin monk in China for three years”.

Their ages range from 9 to 30, they have performed at schools and fun days and recently performed at the Martial Arts exhibition at the NEC in Birmingham.

GeneChing
03-01-2011, 10:31 AM
That's a great title, eh? Britain’s Got Talent’s Shaolin Warriors. BGTSW.

Published: 01/03/2011 08:55 - Updated: 28/02/2011 17:11
Mayor's charity evening of fashion is sellout success (http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/Hoddesdon-and-Broxbourne/Mayors-charity-Evening-of-Fashion-is-sellout-success.htm)
By Jean Marsden

A SELL-OUT evening of fashion in aid of Broxbourne mayor Cllr Mark Mills-Bishop's charity has raised thousands of pounds for Teens Unite Fighting Cancer.

Mayor's charity Evening of Fashion fundraiser with Gillian TaylforthThe red carpet was rolled out for celebrities and the community alike as guests tucked into a two-course meal while Hertford Regional College (HRC) students paraded their outfits on the catwalk, local singers entertained and the Cheshunt-based Shaolin Warriors leapt into the air.

Fashion icon Karen Millen, co-founder of Wormley-based Teens Unite, was there with celebrity choreographer Kevin Adams of BBC's Fame Academy and former EastEnders legend Gillian Taylforth from Broxbourne.

Co-founder Debbie Pezzani said: "The mayor has been amazing for us as a charity and amazing for the community. Everyone loves him."

And Cllr Mills-Bishop (Con, Goffs Oak) said: "One of the things I wanted to do was showcase the community and use community people. All the acts were either born, bred or run in the community."

They included Britain’s Got Talent’s Shaolin Warriors, 16-year-old Roxy Searle who has performed in West End shows, Fushion at Cheshunt Dance School and Chloe Swaby and her band.

Kevin put HRC students through their paces before their catwalk show in which they strutted clothes they had made themselves.

Other students interviewed, photographed and videoed during the evening as part of their vocational training and NVQ qualifications as proud principal Andy Forbes looked on.

"I am extremely pleased at the success of the night and thank so many people for their time and commitment to the cause of Teen Unite and raising thousands of pounds," said Cllr Mills-Bishop.

"My speech was a ‘thank you'. There were so many people to thank who have contributed an awful lot towards the charity. They have risen to the challenge and shown commitment to stand with young people and their families in their moment of despair."

Even the Tuesday Club for people with severe learning difficulties which meets at HRC gave up their club money for the cause. "It touches your heart," said the mayor.

A total of 220 crammed into the civic hall in High Street to enjoy the cabaret and fashion show and a chance to mingle with the stars.~

GeneChing
06-21-2011, 10:16 AM
KUNG FU SAVED MY LIFE COMING TO SKY 1 (http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/kung-fu-saved-my-life-coming-to-sky-1/)
June 21st, 2011 by Lisa McGarry.

The ancient discipline of kung fu meets the hard core street culture of modern Britain, as Shaolin monk and martial arts master Matthew Ahmet mentors a group of young men and women from inner city estates across the UK. Kung Fu Saved My Life transmits exclusively on Sky 1 HD from early August (6 x 60’).
The Sky 1 HD series will follow Matthew as he attempts to teach them self-control, respect and restraint and help present an alternative life far removed from violence, crime, drugs and underachievement. Filmed on location in the UK and Hong Kong, the series promises a risky and controversial approach to combating the UK’s rising ‘hoodie culture’ and anti-social behaviour.

Born in an area of London renowned its high crime and violence rate, Matthew chose a gruelling regime of sacrifice, training and punishment in a Chinese monastery. He returned to the UK several years later to tutor youngsters and offer them an insight into the beauty of Shaolin philosophy in a bid to focus their aggression in more positive ways.

Matthew will take 12 tough young men and women from estates in London, Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds, all under 25, on a voyage of discovery to Hong Kong. There, they’ll learn from some of the world’s deadliest kung fu instructors in a bid to teach them how to avoid conflict back at home by channelling their aggression into amazing feats of inner strength and confidence.

It will be Matthew’s role to impress upon his recruits that with this power comes a responsibility to be true to themselves, as well as others around them. Ahead of them lie gruelling twelve-hour days, basic living conditions and physical endurance training that will test their resolve to the limit. They may be able to perform jaw-dropping feats and gravity-defying stunts if they make it to the end, but will they be able to make some figurative leaps in their lives by returning to college or getting a job? And will they heed Matthew’s advice and use their new-found power and restraint for the greater good?

Matthew Ahmet says: “I want to show these kids that the choices they make affect not just their lives, but those of their families and others around them. The goal of life – happiness – is in their hands and only they are responsible for reaching out and finding it.”
I'm changing this thread title from 'Shaolin on Superstars of Dance' to 'Matthew Ahmet'

GeneChing
12-13-2012, 10:07 AM
17:00 Tuesday 13 November 2012 Written by Owen Bennett
New temple for international martial arts group (http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/Cheshunt-and-Waltham/New-temple-for-international-martial-arts-group-12112012.htm)

AN INTERNATIONAL martial arts group celebrated its third birthday by refurbishing its temple.
http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/imagelibrary/Client%20Images/Client00004/ResizeCache/00326000/00326263%20-%20350x252.jpg
Deputy Mayor Councillor Bren Perryman with the Shaolin Warriors

Deputy Mayor Councillor Bren Perryman (Con, Hoddesdon Town and Rye Park) cut the ribbon on a relaunched Shaolin Temple in a former factory warehouse in the High Street, Cheshunt.

More than £5,000 was spent on renovating the building, which is home to the Shaolin Warriors UK.

The team have recently won 11 Gold Medals in the first ever International Shaolin Tournament in Berlin, and will now host the competition in 2014.

Shaolin Disciple Matthew Ahmet, who runs the centre, said: "It’s been refurbished to look like a temple in China, and it makes such a difference.

"It looks amazing from the outside and the deputy mayor was really impressed with the inside."

The martial arts group launched in 2009, and has pupils aged from 3 years old to more than 50. Congrats to Matthew

GeneChing
05-23-2013, 10:50 AM
09:00 Thursday 23 May 2013 Written by MARTIN FORD
Cheshunt warrior changing lives through kung fu (http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/Cheshunt-and-Waltham/Cheshunt-warrior-changing-lives-through-kung-fu-20130523090000.htm)
Shaolin warrior Matthew Ahmet, from Cheshunt Shaolin warrior Matthew Ahmet, from Cheshunt

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/imagelibrary/Client%20Images/Client00004/ResizeCache/00467000/00467618%20-%20250x375.jpg
THE quest of a Shaolin warrior from Cheshunt to turn around the lives of deprived young people from urban Britain is the subject of a forthcoming TV series.

Troubled teens and young people from gang-dominated estates in the country’s major cities follow in the footsteps of Matthew Ahmet, 24, head coach at the Shaolin Temple in Cheshunt, as part of the series, Kick-Ass Kung Fu.

Matthew’s own future was in danger of taking a wrong turn before he travelled to China to train with the Shaolin Temple in China.

He said: “When I was 16 I left school in Camden and I was hanging around with the wrong people, carrying a knife sometimes.

“Moving to China made me the person I am today and I want to give these guys the opportunity I had to contribute to society.”

After four years of training and mastering the matrial arts and acrobatic moves, he was awarded the Buddhist name of Shi Yan Wu.

“I was chosen as a member of the Wheel of Life Show, which is their biggest touring theatre show, and the first non-Chinese Shaolin warrior,” Matthew said.

He has since established the temple in Wycliffe Close and made numerous TV appearances, reaching the semi finals of Britain’s Got Talent in 2010 and filming with the BBC and Discovery Channel.

His latest series for Sky 1 sees him travel to London, Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds meeting young people, some caught up in violent and drug-realted crime.

Matthew said: “Each show we go to the estate and do a boot camp using the local area, such as running up stairs rather than a mountain, emulating what we do in China.

“It was a bit intimidating – there were youths smoking on the corner, but these were real criminals, some of them. We had all sorts of security, it was intense.

“They could relate to me as they were my age or even older, and they grew to respect us.

“We pick three of the best students, based on their mental understanding and physical ability, and take them to the Big Buddha in Hong Kong”

He added: “It’s about taking life back to the basics. Life in the UK isn’t so hard compared to when you have to wash your clothes by hand and there’s no heating.

“They had a lot of ego but the training broke them down. It really turned them around, you see a massive change.”

The training not only enabled some of the students to pull off stunts and achieve physical feats, but gave them a new outlook on life.

“There was eight to 10 hours a day of rigorous training, they had to hit sandbags for hours on end but by the end, some didn’t want to leave!”

Kick-Ass Kung Fu will screen on Sky 1 soon.
'carrying a knife sometimes'? What's wrong with that? I'm carrying a knife right now. I'm almost always carrying a knife.

Scythefall
05-27-2013, 07:46 PM
"It was intimidating. They had cigarettes."

Those ruffians...

bigopen
05-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Apparently a nice guy, trains hard, with right intentions.....

He's working very hard, friends have trained with him privately in UK and in China

It's just a very British mindset of "right, I'm good at this now, let create an empire" - which perhaps doesn't transpose as well to Kung Fu.

He obviously wants it to be his life, which is tough to do in the UK. It's hard for mainstream martial arts let alone niche disciplines.

The performances will be bringing most of the loot in, but he's got a big premises to pay for which even on the outskirts of London will be costing a large amount.

Not sure what to say really, he's got good intentions and lots of talent, but may be grasping a bit too hard at the expense of Shaolin's integrity.

Having said that we may be looking at the man who creates the next Judo/karate/TKD style craze amongst the youngsters over here......

But don't hate on him too hard.

P.S. Gene, carrying a gun in UK is 5yrs in prison, also carrying an offensive weapon, which is determined a lot of the time by the circumstances, is also very sensitive here. Basically you get in a lot of trouble for getting caught with a knife with a fixed or locking blade over 2 inches or so.

Lucas
05-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Ya i think the implication is that if you're dealing with people who regularly carry weapons that could get them in big trouble if caught, you're dealing with people not afraid or intimidated by violence.

GeneChing
08-21-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm hoping some of you will watch this and tell me if it's worth my time. I might watch it later regardless.

Watch Sky1 Online
Everyone can watch TV online with Sky Go. If you already have a MySky or SkyID account, simply log in to get started. If you do not, you can register here.

Kick Ass Kung Fu: Ep 1: Aylesbury (http://sky1.sky.com/kick-ass-kung-fu/kick-ass-kung-fu-ep-1-aylesbury)

Shaolin monk and martial arts master Matthew Ahmet helps troubled youngsters through the power of kung fu, starting with a trip to the Aylesbury Estate in South London.

bigopen
09-15-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm hoping some of you will watch this and tell me if it's worth my time. I might watch it later regardless.

Gene,

Have watched the last couple of episodes. Good intentions to the program, but again it's at the cost of integrity.

Basically young tearaways are shown kung fu, and then briefly trained up to a final feat that shows their dedication - brick breaking, stick breaking etc etc

It's ok TV. I suppose it wouldn't have been aired if it was anything else. Matt may possibly have tried to have more ch'an covered in the show but people want to see bricks breaking and bruises and that's what you get.

I'm in danger of moaning so I'll leave it at that.

GeneChing
09-16-2013, 08:57 AM
You're so right about Matt's intentions versus the directors of the series. You can never really tell what the original intentions might be - could be better, could be worse - you just have to look at the end product.

Is it being well received over there? Any reviews or mentions anywhere? Any buzz?

bigopen
09-17-2013, 12:37 PM
You're so right about Matt's intentions versus the directors of the series. You can never really tell what the original intentions might be - could be better, could be worse - you just have to look at the end product.

Is it being well received over there? Any reviews or mentions anywhere? Any buzz?

Sky 1 is a pretty pedestrian channel - it's had some ad spots on web and other sky channels but it's quite low budget I think. No written reviews that I've seen.

He takes them to a Shaolin Temple branch on the outskirts of Hong Kong, there are a few resident monks who help with training and kick them about a bit. The dorms are actually really nice compared to dengfeng and there's a big astroturf training area in the courtyard. Standard stuff being taught: eight section, Xiao hong, then lots of fitness and conditioning stuff. It all accumulates in a test i.e. breaking a brick, stick over the back etc.

It isn't causing any big fuss over here, but I think Matt has potential for movies which this will be another step closer to. Both Yan Zi and Yan Lei in London are involved in making movies now.

GeneChing
11-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Want to be a kung fu master? Stand on your head for hours and sleep on a plank (http://www.theguardian.com/careers/2015/nov/03/want-to-be-a-kung-fu-master)

Londoner Matthew Ahmet left school at 16 to learn kung fu at China’s famous Shaolin temple. After years of gruelling training he now makes a living from performing with the monks around the world

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/10/26/1445857117443/79fe7c32-faa4-4df7-988d-64f2a1789ab6-2060x1236.jpeg
London-born Matthew Ahmet left school at 16 to train as a Shaolin monk and become a kung fu expert. Photograph: Shaolin temple Cheshunt

Interview by Charlotte Seager @CharlotteSeager
Tuesday 3 November 2015 02.00 EST
Last modified on Tuesday 3 November 2015 04.55 EST

I have always loved martial arts. Growing up I was inspired by Bruce Lee movies and I began training at the age of six, studying karate, win chung and others. Then when I was 11 the Shaolin monks put on a UK show for the first time. Seeing martial arts on TV was one thing, but seeing these guys perform incredible feats – such as a one-finger handstand – just blew me away. It gave me the long-term dream to want to travel to China and make martial arts my livelihood.

When I was 16 I decided to move to China. School wasn’t necessarily negative but it wasn’t challenging me and I felt bored. I was doing well but every year I was counting down the days until the chance I could pursue martial arts. I was always told to wait and that it was going to get better – but I just didn’t feel like it was the right path for me.

When I arrived at the temple, I was thrown in the deep end. Straight away you’re waking up at 5am and training 10 hours a day. It’s very intense and the level of discipline and focus is extremely different to what we’re used to in the UK. It’s strict with a lot of punishment. If you’re not lined up on time in the morning, you get beaten with a stick. I didn’t see any abuse but I did see a lot of discipline. Everyone knew that if they stepped out of line they would be getting punishment. It was either some sort of beating, or you were made to hold a headstand on concrete for hours on end. Which is extremely painful. So that aspect of it was shocking.

It was a culture shock. In western cultures, it’s all about looking good and feeling good – but in eastern cultures it’s about being the best you can be. Everything was about how you can get rid of that ego. In the UK I had everything – PlayStations and TVs – but I didn’t even make my bed. In China I had nothing. My thin bed was just a plank of wood with bed sheets that had to be folded every morning. Living like that at the start was challenging. Forget the training, just the lifestyle change was immense.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/10/26/1445857442445/48d944d3-e733-4f3c-a242-ab8b319fa6e9-620x372.jpeg
Training at the Shaolin temple. Photograph: Matthew Ahmet

I never wanted to leave, but I did miss home. You get lonely at the start, but what kept me going were the others training alongside me, some of whom were as young as five years old. When I was struggling to balance a handstand, I would look to my left and see two five-year-olds just holding it. They were also in pain, but their focus allowed them to push through it and achieve their goal. There were times when I felt like giving up, but I think being in that community motivates you. It’s a very close relationship – you live, sleep and train with these guys. They’re your brothers.

When I started to do small performances around different provinces in China, I felt like I’d made it. I had always wanted to become a Shaolin monk and now I was living in the temple and learning their philosophy. It really felt like the pinnacle of my journey.

My career highlight was appearing in the Wheel of Life show. It was just incredible because that was the same show that inspired me when I was young. And 10 years later my wheel of life had continued to turn and I ended up being in the very same show. So it really touched my heart and gave me focus and passion for what I was doing.

Kung fu is something that anyone can put their mind to. All you have to do is remember that without struggle there is no progress. It’s not going to be easy, but with hard work and dedication you can achieve anything.

If you want to become a Shaolin monk, you can’t rely on your teachers. You personally have to give it 100% and make it happen. And don’t listen to anyone who tells you no or gives you any negativity, they will be the same people congratulating you 10 years on.

Matthew Ahmet is a London-born practitioner of Shaolin kung fu, and performs shows with the Shaolin temple worldwide. In 2009 he set up the Shaolin temple Cheshunt, home to the Shaolin Warriors London.

"win chung"? Is that the proper English spelling? :rolleyes:

Awww. The images are blocked.

BSL-Chris
11-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Gene, pretty sure its a typo ;)

Although it could be a super awesome crazy style not yet made public!!

GeneChing
11-20-2015, 10:14 AM
It's all 詠春 to me. ;)

Here's more from Matthew.

11 life-changing secrets of Shaolin monks (http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/wellbeing/11-life-changing-secrets-of-shaolin-monks-11364017541577)
Matthew Ahmet was just 16 when he left home to train to be a Shaolin monk in China. Here he shares what he’s learned, and it could just change your life.

http://home.bt.com/images/life-changing-secrets-of-shaolin-monks-136401754134503901-151120111349.jpg
By Kate Whiting
Last updated: 20 November 2015, 11:39 GMT Print this story
Wise beyond his 27 years and with a down-to-earth north London accent to boot, dad-of-one Matthew Ahmet followed his teenage dream of performing Shaolin kung fu on stage as a monk from the Shaolin Temple.

A decade ago, at 16, he left behind the life of a normal teenager – computer games and trainers included – to wash his clothes in a bucket and sleep on a plank of wood in Zhengzhou, China.

“I saw the show The Wheel Of Life when I was 11 and then I was in that show when I was 21 – a decade had gone round and my wheel had gone in a full circle, my dream had come true,” he says.

Now back in the UK and running the Shaolin Temple Cheshunt, Ahmet shares what he’s learned.

Don’t take anything for granted
“Growing up in London, you have this attitude – I was very egotistical. I went out to China wanting to learn just to flip and to kick and what I ended up getting out of it was completely different. Living at the Shaolin Temple I had to wash clothes by hand and fetch water.

"A lot of youngsters believe their life is hard here, but we have running water, we have hot water, we have regular showers and it’s these things that we take for granted, and that we don’t really realise we do, until we see a different kind of life.”

Passions – not possessions – make you happy
“People say, ‘You’ve got to have [running] water, how can you live like that?’ Well we do in China. That’s the lifestyle for the monks and they’re extremely happy. I feel that’s missing from Western society. People might have money, iPhones, a car, but what they don’t have is happiness. It’s a real goal in life, to find what you’re passionate about.”

Don’t fear death, live
“I think people are dying to live, they’re struggling to survive, so they can one day die. It should be the reverse: living to live. We only have one life and it’s inevitable that we die. In Shaolin philosophy, no one fears death. There’s no way out of it, so you’ve got to make the most of every single second of every single day that you have.”

Stopping will help you go further
“Rather than stand still, people like to keep moving, but what happens is they drain themselves out. You can actually get further by stopping sometimes. It’s like going on a long road trip. You say, ‘No, I’m not going to stop my car. I’m going to keep going, then stop when the fuel dies out’.

http://home.bt.com/images/life-changing-secrets-of-shaolin-monks-136401754138903901-151120111427.jpg

"But if you stop every so often at a service station, you get that break and then keep going. Meditation is a way for me to recharge my batteries without panicking. So many people live in a fast-paced world and think they’re achieving their goals, but they end up getting stressed and overworked, then they get sick more often. Kung fu really gave me a different outlook on living.”

Meditate every day
“Like with everything, meditation has become a big fad at the moment, but people expect to go to a meditation class and find peace, whereas in actuality, meditation isn’t like a class that you can take. It’s an emotional state you have to find and you have to practise every day. If you only meditate once a week, you’re not going to improve, you have to give yourself a lot of time to find that inner peace.”

[Related story: 'Mindfulness meditation as effective as antidepressants']

Don’t be afraid of silence
“Sometimes people are actually afraid of that silence. Sometimes the loudest noise can be silence. Inner peace worries people because when they’re not seeing something, they don’t know what to think about.

"So they turn on the TV, they go and eat – but meditation is about finding your inner self and what your passion is. Just lie in bed a little bit longer in the morning, not trying to sleep, just thinking about your goals. What’s your dream?”

Wake early and embrace the day
“I wake up around 5am and it starts with training, going outside. It’s just a habit now, but it’s also my passion. I know what I want to do. It’s like children. Children very rarely sleep late, because as soon as the light comes into their room, they just want to get up, play Lego, or draw, because for them, life is glorious.

"For a lot of adults, especially in Western society, it becomes a chore – five more minutes snooze and then another five minutes snooze. They’re energised at work, but then when they get home, they slouch on the couch and get into bad habits.”

Find your goal, find yourself
“Some people laugh and say, ‘You know what, I can’t even remember what I used to dream about when I was a child’. They’ve become objects of society and they’re not really fulfilling their goals, they’re filling the goals of society. Deep down they feel lost. It’s very important to find yourself.

"Meditation allows you to reflect on yourself and look at that person in the mirror and decide if that person is who you want to be. If you’re so engaged all of the time, you’re on email and your phone and you never stop, you never have the chance to look at yourself.”

Give 100% every day
“Think about when you’ve had a great day and you feel 99% and so high on your own energy. Then you go to work and most people probably feel under 60% for most of their days. When you add up the days, you’re only living half the year and half the life. There are so many great things out there, but because you’re only running at 60%, you can’t get much more out of life than that.

Life is as simple as a choice. If you love to swim, then you need to swim every day. If a kid loves to play Lego, he has to play every day. If you love something, you have to commit to it. Whether you’re fascinated by space or music, you have to give 100% and when you give 100%, you will get 100% back – that’s how it works. It’s karma in the most obvious way. What you put in, you get out.”

Responsibility gives you purpose
“In 2007, I became a coach where I was teaching a class of students, and you’re living at these temples and you become a father figure. It’s such a wonderful experience, so I really wanted to have my own children. A lot of people I’ve grown up with and students of mine who are older than me are scared of having that responsibility.

"I think having that responsibility gives you greater opportunity because you have this meaning, this ‘why’. It’s this automatic push to be the best person for your children, your family. It’s a very powerful motivator. I think a lot of people lack motivation in their personal life, because they don’t have any responsibility.

http://home.bt.com/images/shaolin-monk-meditation-136401754164003901-151120113111.jpg

"At work they do, but when they get home, there’s no meaning and all they want to do is engage in TV shows for countless hours or scroll on Facebook on their phone for hours on end, whereas just playing with a child sometimes is such a powerful, wonderful thing.”

Find your ‘why’
“There are so many different sayings I love, but one of the things I say to people the most is that you have to find your ‘why’. As soon as you find your ‘why’, you’re set. I have this saying which is ‘know why, then no why’. So many people ask, ‘Why should I do this?

"Why do I need to pay this bill? Why do I need to go to work? Blah blah blah…’ The reason they’re asking ‘why’ is because they don’t know the answer. But as soon as you know why, there are no questions.”

Do you practise meditation? How does it help you? What do you think of Matthew’s advice? Let us know in the Comments box below.

SHAOLIN is available on DVD, Blu-ray and Digital Download from November 30.

GeneChing
12-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Britain's only Shaolin Monk? What about these guys (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41808-Shaolin-Temple-UK)? :rolleyes:

Meet Matthew Ahmet, Britain's only Shaolin Monk (http://www.coachmag.co.uk/people/4980/meet-matthew-ahmet-britains-only-shaolin-monk)
After years of gruelling training, Matthew nailed the one-finger handstand and was asked to join the Shaolin Monks onstage
GARY OGDEN 4 DEC 2015

http://cdn1.coachmag.co.uk/sites/coachmag/files/styles/16x9_746/public/2015/12/shaolin-monk.jpg?itok=QmHgnUaA

Can you break a spear across your neck? What about balance your bodyweight on two fingers? Smash iron bars over your head? Matthew Ahmet can, because he’s the first ever British Shaolin monk, and that’s what Shaolin monks do (among other things). We caught up with him and attempt to balance our inner Qigong.

Why did you decide to become a Shaolin monk?
Like a lot of young boys, I was always interested in martial arts – Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee and that sort of thing, and when I was 11, I was invited along to see the original Shaolin theatre show, The Shaolin Wheel of Life. It really inspired me – seeing these guys live on stage was amazing. It blew me away and gave me this dream to study Chinese martial arts and travel to China to the Shaolin Temple.

When I was 16 I wasn’t really happy with school. This idea to go to China had stuck with me all throughout my education and I thought then was the time to follow it through. So I ended up flying out to China where I spent about four years training. It was very intense, waking up at 5.30am, running up mountains, crawling back down on my hands and knees, doing headstands on concrete for hours on end. I progressed quickly and ten years after I saw the show I was chosen to be the first and only non-Chinese Shaolin warrior in that same show.

Is Shaolin kung fu a good way to keep fit?
Kung fu is more a way of life than it is exercise. The philosophy of Shaolin is to create longevity, positivity and happiness for yourself, and I think there’s a confusion in the Western world, where exercise has become almost a chore, where you choose to do it. You don’t choose to eat, you don’t choose to sleep, but you choose to exercise. However, it should be for everyone, and kung fu is very much that: it’s a way of life, where the exercise element is peppered throughout the day with meditation, stretching, jogging, walking, forms and movements which are inspired by animals and wildlife. It’s a very creative and uplifting practice.

What does it teach you about discipline?
Any exercise is a form of discipline – through achieving your goals, setting yourself a target and so on. Discipline comes into play when you reach a stage where you train and exercise not necessarily for pure enjoyment. Shaolin kung fu gives you that discipline. You don’t just get to pick the days you have fun – you have to go through the whole process and complete that puzzle. That kind of discipline is very much taught and required to practice kung fu.

How long before you’ll see results?
With kung fu, you’ll see results after pretty much the first day – often the mindset will change instantly, and with that mindset you’ll see how quickly you can make progress. It’s about understanding that you’re always going to be progressing and kung fu is a way in which you can achieve those progressions. A thing I often say is “NOW”, meaning “No Opportunities Wasted” – it’s about taking every one you have and getting the most out of it.

How painful is learning Shaolin kung fu?
Good question! There’s 168 hours in a week, and you might sleep for eight to ten hours a day, so it’s all about how many hours you want to put in, and how hard you’re going to work. If you really want to go all out and give 100%, then you’re going to feel pain, but we have a saying: pain is glory. You go through the stages of pain to reach that stage of glory, and without struggle there is no progression.

What about self-defence? How good is Shaolin kung fu in a fight?
With any martial art, there are elements that can be used in self-defence. We don’t specifically train for combat but during practice, the movements become so regular that in a situation when you needed to use them, you could definitely defend yourself without a doubt.

When you were training at the temple, what did you miss most about home?
Things like family, obviously, but you also miss the smaller things like hot water, showers, beds and electricity. We were sometimes living in huts the size of a garages, with no windows, no running water, no electricity, just light that came in from outside.

If there’s no hot water or heating and there’s three foot of snow, it is cold. But when I came back to the UK, I appreciated this simplicity of life and found it added value to my life, just by understanding. On the map, the UK is just a tiny speck, and there’s all these other countries around you and people live completely differently to us – it’s very valuable to understand that, and it gives you a powerful purpose in your life when you see the other way.

What’s the greatest feat of strength that you’ve witnessed?
One of the things that really inspired me about the Wheel of Life show was the one-finger handstand. Bruce Lee could do a press-up using a finger and a thumb on one hand, and he made that famous, but then I saw a guy support his whole body weight on just one finger on each hand, and I was blown away. In that moment, it wasn’t something I thought I’d ever be able to do, but one of the reasons I was chosen to be part of the show was because I was the only person in the group who could do the one-finger handstand.

Recently I’ve been kicked off my block by one of my young students who’s just 13 years old – he wakes up every day before school and he can do the one- finger handstand. He’s the second Westerner, and I believe the only boy under the age of 15 in the world that can do that. It’s one of the most advanced practices of the Shaolin Qigong.

Finally, what’s your favourite martial arts film ever?
I would have to say Wheels On Meals with Jackie Chan. He’s one of my favourite martial artists – he trained at the Beijing Opera, and the training they undergo is very similar to Shaolin. They live on site for years on end, from when they’re young children, and they are made to train between eight and ten hours every single day. His level of expertise is very high.

The breathtaking new show SHAOLIN from the Shaolin Monks is out now on DVD, Blu-ray and digital download.

GeneChing
03-18-2021, 10:35 AM
The Hertfordshire Britain's Got Talent star who moved to China at 16 to become a Shaolin monk (https://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/news/hertfordshire-news/hertfordshire-britains-talent-star-who-5170982)
Matthew Ahmet left Hertfordshire at 16 years of age, on his own, to become a monk living in the Chinese mountains
By Charlie Reynolds Multimedia Journalist
14:46, 16 MAR 2021

Most teenagers at 16 have the wildest dreams of becoming a Hollywood actor, a professional footballer or a multi-millionaire, the list goes on.

But when 32-year-old Matthew Ahmet was that old, he had a very different vision.

Growing up loving martial arts movies and inspired by actors Jackie Chan and Jet Li, he simply wanted a taste of their lives.

The dream for him was to travel to China and learn what it takes to become a Shaolin monk, and that's exactly what he did.

Living their dream is something not many people can say they achieve, especially at the age of 16, but Matt was so inspired that he left school without knowing a single word of Chinese and moved out to a temple in Henan - on his own.

It was something his family and friends couldn’t believe, including himself, when the daunting prospect in front of him sunk in.

Within a few days, Matt went from being at school to living in a Chinese temple with his head shaved only equipped with a small Chinese language book.

“I was 16, didn’t really enjoy school and always had this dream of going to study Chinese martial arts,” he said.

“One day I was in school with my friends and I’d been telling them I wanted to go for ages, but came in one day saying I’m going tomorrow and none of them believed me.

“The next minute, I’m in China with my checklist book for Chinese language training eight to ten hours a day.

“We’d have to get up at 4am, run up mountains and crawl back down on our hands and knees. It was intense.”

https://i2-prod.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/incoming/article5174179.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/1_MattJanefingerstand.jpg
Matt doing a two finger handstand
Fast forward 16 years and it’s all had a massive impact on his life.

He’s gone on to become a semi-finalist in Britain’s Got Talent, have his own reality TV show and more.

But his greatest two achievements are the Shaolin Temple in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, that he owns and runs for the community, and the 11-year-old son he shares with his wife, who he met in China.

His work has helped hundreds of people by getting them off the street and giving them a focus.

This is something which helped him at the tender age 16 as, to his own admission, China shaped and moulded him into the man he is today.

“Back then we didn’t have smartphones and all I had was a language checklist book - I didn’t have access to much, if any information,” he said.

“The lifestyle was completely different. Where I was located, at the temple, it was poverty driven.

“There wasn’t always running water, we had wooden beds, concrete floors - it was a huge culture shock but it woke me up.

“A lot of youngsters think their life is hard including me at that age, but they’ve got food, free education, water, their own bedroom and it’s very different out in China.

“However everyone out there is so happy.”

To an extent, before his trip, Matt didn’t really know what he was getting himself into.

He was used to getting up every morning to travel from Hertfordshire to Camden for school but in China, he’d be getting up as early as 4am to start training.

It isn’t like any normal training though. To condition his body, Matt and the other students would do headstands and knuckle push ups on concrete for hours on end, hitting sand with his hands and even having to balance a cup of hot water on his arms so if he moved, he’d get burnt.

https://i2-prod.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/incoming/article5174311.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/1_P1010293JPG.jpg
Matt always wanted to learn Chinese martial arts
“It’s all about discipline, strength and conditioning your muscles,” he said about the training methods.

“A lot of it is to do with the mental side of it. Of course it was hard but I enjoyed it so I found pleasure in the hardships.

“The temple is a place to learn, express yourself and have fun. We’re focusing on the beauty of martial arts.”

Not knowing any Chinese and being the only English student at the temple was very strenuous for Matt.

“The language barrier obviously made it very difficult out there," he said. "For example if you did something wrong, you’d get a beating.

“It wasn’t abuse but it was all to teach you discipline so you didn’t do it again - it was part of their culture.

“At our temple, we don’t discipline anyone but it’s all taught me big life lessons.

“But the language barrier slowly got better the more I learnt. I basically just learnt by listening to the other students and catching on.

“In the moment it was hard because I didn’t understand anything, as you can imagine, but i just learnt on my feet.”

Recently during lockdown, his social media channels have exploded with everyone watching videos of him flipping, doing one finger press ups and more.

It’s not only him that entertains his social media followers but his 11-year-old son, Tian, too.

Following in his dad’s footsteps, Tian trains everyday with his dad and is known on social media as TJ - The Young Warrior.

Tian featured in his first Shaolin show at just two years old and hasn’t looked back since. For an 11-year-old, he has more muscle and abs than most men.

Matt, known as The Modern Warrior, and his wife, known as The Kung Fu Mom are the dream team and now run the temple in Cheshunt.

https://i2-prod.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/incoming/article5173716.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/1_Us-three.jpg
Matt with his wife and son (Image: IMAGINEREEL PRODUCTIONS)
Matt said: “I met my wife out in China as she studied at a temple which now has over 50,000 students. She studied there and was learning English and on the off chance bumped into each other and we just clicked.

“We moved back to the UK when we were 20 and she was just about to give birth. Plenty of people had a lot of things to say but now look at what I’ve got and ask me how I got it all.

“For me, I needed to find love, drive, passion and live the journey.”

They moved back to the UK with the dream of creating something more substantial and it was at this time when they started laying the foundations for the temple.

Matt started Shaolin Kung Fu lessons for the community by hiring out a court at the former Grundy Park Leisure Centre.

Later that year, he found the building which he would transform into the temple, the plans for which he had been drawing and designing when he was just 10 years old.

He said: “When we came back, my wife was pregnant, I was all over TV, on ITV, BBC and was in a great place.

“It was all going well, people were turning up in their numbers for the lessons, we were handing out flyers, doing shows at school fetes and people were loving it.

“People hadn’t seen Shaolin before so they were blown away and then it was around the same time when I found the derelict building and when we went on Britain’s Got Talent.”

Matt and his team, known as Team Shaolin, were in the 2010 BGT show and got all the way to the semi finals.

Then the year after, in 2011, Matt was presented with his own reality TV show where he would get people from the UKs most notorious areas and take them to a Shaolin temple in China to get them back on the right track.

https://i2-prod.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/incoming/article5170981.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/1_2005-07-29-023jpeg.jpg
Matt had a dream of working in martial arts from a young age
“It was amazing for me and everyone that took part,” he said.

“We taught them life lessons, martial arts to avoid conflict back home and self control and that’s exactly what we teach people at the temple.

“We’ve put so much hard work into the temple, we were there day and night and it took time but it’s a true extension of our vision and goal.

“All we wanted to do was share with the community - offer them something different.

“Thousands of students have walked through the door. Families, adults, children, people from all ages and backgrounds.

“It’s just cool knowing we’ve helped so many people and it’s all because I’ve focused on myself and my dream.

“If I followed society's way of doing things then I wouldn’t be where I am today.”

As a result of lockdown, the temple has been shut but should be reopening in April.

Matt said all the classes will be back but people can’t book them at the moment and it will be a first-come-first-served basis.

The temple can be found on 40 High Street, Cheshunt, Wycliffe Close, EN8 0AQ, and you can also look at the temple on it's social media sites @temple.ldn.
Good to hear he's reopening soon.