PDA

View Full Version : Heroes Vs. Smallville

Sopranosbaby
12-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Smallville (http://www.cwtv.com/shows/smallville) much better than Heroes (http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/). Heroes seems to be a superhero show for the geriatric crowd. God was it tedious!

Mr Punch
12-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Spam much worse than spam. Spam seems to be a spam show for the spam crowd. Spam, it spammed me up the spammer!

冠木侍
12-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Maybe this topic would be good in the media section but then again it is off topic...

But since this was brought up, I've always liked Smallville but never kept up with it past the third season or so. I have a lot of catching up to do.

David Jamieson
12-03-2008, 06:25 AM
BAN HIM!!! :p

sanjuro_ronin
12-03-2008, 06:53 AM
As I watch Both ) I know, I know...) I can say that Heroes is far superiour in terms of story telling and acting.
While I now watch Smallville just for the sheer curiosity of what they are going to come up next to STOP Clark from becoming Superman, it still pains me to see what they have done to the Superman Mythos.
Heroes on the other hand, while they have crappy SF once in awhile, has a story line that at least is progressing.

SimonM
12-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Smallville has, at most, one more season in it after this one. Any more and they will be jumping a whole tank full of sharks. - Spoilers in background colour, if you don't care about spoilers highlight for examples - After all... Doomsday... that's all I gotta say about that... Doomsday.

As for Heroes, I have been disappointed with some of the things they have done this season - Spoilers in background colour, if you don't care about spoilers highlight for examples - Peter being stripped of his powers, evil future Claire, Mohinder turning into the fly...

Other things have not disappointed me, Parkman and Daphne, Hiro and Ando and Sylar have all provided continued entertainment.

Oh yes, and ban the spammer!

sanjuro_ronin
12-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Smallville has, at most, one more season in it after this one. Any more and they will be jumping a whole tank full of sharks. After all... Doomsday... that's all I gotta say about that... Doomsday.

As for Heroes, I have been disappointed with some of the things they have done this season *spoliers you biotches !!!*

Oh yes, and ban the spammer!

Please don't get me started on Doomsday, one only assumes that this storyline is the "pre true doomsday that kill Superman" storyline, of course, this is Smallville and they are doing their own thing.
As for Heroes, the Mohinder thing is a tad silly, I agree, I know why they did the Peter thing, *spoil this MOFU !!! *

I don't like the Sylar merry-go -round, though it is cool to see.

Mr Punch
12-03-2008, 08:03 AM
As for Heroes, SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS!...How many ****ing spoilers can you fit into a sentence for those of us who live in countries where Season 2's only just finished? Great. Spam, and now spoilers.

SimonM
12-03-2008, 08:06 AM
My appologies MR. Punch. I will correct the problem for future readers. :o

Ok, fixed, only those who want spoilers will get them from my post now. Again, my appologies.

Mr Punch
12-03-2008, 08:09 AM
LOL, don't worry, I'm just winding you up - it's only a friggin TV show! :D

EDIT: but nicely edited sir! :D

SimonM
12-03-2008, 08:18 AM
No problem. It's hardly the work of moments to edit a post.

Heavens knows I've done more editing for less reason.

CFT
12-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Now we just need s_r to edit his quotation of the spoilers.

SimonM
12-03-2008, 08:41 AM
And then move the entire thread over to the media forum.

sanjuro_ronin
12-03-2008, 09:48 AM
I got your spoilers right here !

Lucas
12-03-2008, 09:51 AM
since i dont watch tv per se, i watch heroes, cuz you can get it streamed off the net.

i remember watching part of the first season of smallville, and while it looks nice, it doesnt have much for me since its all superboy regurgitated, rycycled old ideas and what seems like grabbing at straws half the time.

remember the old tv show that was actually superman?

why did they go backwards?

SimonM
12-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Smallville is a much better show than "The Adventures of Lois and Clark" though that isn't hard. I mean... Dean Caine?

Tom Welling has arrogant self-righteousness down to such a perfect degree that he screams "superhero in training".

And I predict that he will don the cape...

In the series finale.

Lucas
12-03-2008, 10:06 AM
lol ya, that was a pretty bad show.

they should just make an episode where batman beats the crap out of superboy and it ends the series.

SimonM
12-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Rumours of Bruce Wayne appearing in Smallville have been ongoing. Apparently it has been blocked by some sort of copyright issue. (Shrug)

DC acted like robber barons on their writers and artists over IP for years and now it's a tangled mess.

The show has, however, already had various DC alums appear including <spoiler>Green Arrow, General Zod, Brainiac, Aquaman, the Cyborg, the Flash, Doomsday, Supergirl, and a few minor supervillains whose names I forget but who are based on comic book characters

GeneChing
12-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Just a little link change from Sopranosbaby's self-promotional DVD selling site to the proper official show links (and spelling correction - Heroes has an E in it - spammers inherently can't spell because they need to get words like **** and ****sucker around the censors).

I'm moving this thread to media even tho it's marginally martial and banning Sopranosbaby.

And I'm addicted to Heroes, even though they totally lost it during the writer's strike and have been struggling to recover ever since. I watched a little Smallville when it first started, but I lost interest.

Lucas
12-03-2008, 11:05 AM
banning Sopranosbaby.

Now who's the real hero baby?!?!

SimonM
12-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Good job Gene!

GeneChing
12-03-2008, 11:08 AM
The other reason I like Heroes is Hayden - I have a soft spot for dancehall divas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6okDq7_rawk) that are eco-active. :cool:

Lucas
12-03-2008, 11:10 AM
its also nice to see a super hero show/movie/book that has something of an original thing going on.

its easy to take an icon and spin it on your finger and make millions. but to go out there and come up with a super hero theme that not only is unique, but stands alone against things like superman, batman, spiderman.

sure its not on THAT level, may never be. but it made it past the critical moments of success.

doug maverick
12-03-2008, 12:13 PM
i dont like either really, smllville started out good but got worse and worse and last year was the worst, where the cw tried to get youg boys into the show by surrounding the character with annoying women. as for heroes i just cant get into it. it just reminds me of a wek ass xmen, just like lost reminds me of a jacked up giligans island. maybe its because i dont like jj abrams.lol. thebest show on network tv to me is supernatural, now thats something i could get into. but mostly i stick to shows like, the shield(which had the best ending ever), entourage, sons of anarchy, true blood. cable has the best shows right now, network tv is for sh!t.

SimonM
12-03-2008, 12:20 PM
My watch list:

Heroes - Already gave my thoughts on it.
Smallville - Ditto
Supernatural - Dipped a bit in the last season but this season has been dynamite.
Dexter - Best show on TV, bar none.
Fringe - It is rough around the edges but has potential. The actor who plays Walter is brilliant in the role and is carrying the show... but he is reason enough to watch.
Gray's Anatomy - My wife loves this show. I found the first few seasons entertaining but the recent <spoiler> return of Denny Duquette as a ghost probably sweeps week related plot complication has caused me to lose faith in this doctor drama. Adding it to the HEAP of doctor dramas that I watched once, twice or for a few seasons before giving up on... like House and ER.

Lucas
12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
i pop on nbc dot com to watch heroes once a week or so. and then i do the instant stream through netflix and have been watching 30Rock. which i find to be really really funny.

i only started watching heroes 4 episodes ago though so i have not seen the first couple seasons. only the newer stuff.

i like the character hiro. i like his power the most i think, since its pretty unique. hes like a time master. forward backward or frozen PLUS he can teleport.

i didnt like it the first time i saw it, but after a couple episodes it kinda drew me in. i could go forward never seeing another episode. the main reason i watch it is because i dont do the network or cable TV, i havnt for a few years now. So it kinda just draws me in.

If im at a friends house and the TV is on, sometimes i find myself mesmerized by even the most stupid commercial. its like hypnotism.

nolte13
12-03-2008, 02:06 PM
The other reason I like Heroes is Hayden - I have a soft spot for dancehall divas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6okDq7_rawk) that are eco-active. :cool:

Kristen > Hayden any day of the week.

SimonM
12-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Although I tend to prefer girls with dark hair and eyes I have to say Hayden > Kristen.

Lucas
12-03-2008, 04:33 PM
give either one emerald green eyes and she wins, as it is...ill just have to settle for both.

nolte13
12-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Although I tend to prefer girls with dark hair and eyes I have to say Hayden > Kristen.

That, sir, is redonkulous. Seriously.

I wish there were an icon of my taking my glove off and slapping you in the face.

Midget over Chun Li?

Them's fightin' words boyeeeeeee.

SimonM
12-04-2008, 07:34 AM
LOL! I chose blunderbusses from hot-air balloons suspended above a lake of molten lava!

sanjuro_ronin
12-04-2008, 08:00 AM
At this stage, no one has gotten my "eye" on either show.
Sure Eric Durance has that "I'll ride you till you're drained" style and Ali Larter can probably suck start a lawn mower, nevertheless, I am still "waiting".

nolte13
12-04-2008, 08:13 AM
That's fine, but I feel you must be warned:

The Vietnamese in me gives me +5 attack, defense, and agility in temperatures above 80 F.

Let's get it on.

SimonM
12-04-2008, 08:29 AM
ROTFL! I should warn you that all Canadians are trained in the use of the blunderbuss from the cradle in case our noisy neighbours from the south decide to invade again. ;)

Sanjuro Ronin will back me up on this. ;)

And you can keep Ali Larter but I'll agree on Erica Durance. ;)

Lucas
12-04-2008, 10:31 AM
i just watched the 2 most recent episodes of heroes. i thought they were alright.

SimonM
12-04-2008, 11:36 AM
I have not yet but I heart that <spoiler> everybody loses their powers because of some freaky eclipse.

Lucas
12-04-2008, 11:39 AM
I have not yet but I heart that <spoiler> everybody loses their powers because of some freaky eclipse.

ya dude SPOILER:

2 of them die during the eclipse and everything changes. i wont say more than that though.

SimonM
12-04-2008, 11:43 AM
If <spoiler> one of them is Peter's awful father, especially if it leads to Peter getting his powers back I'll be happy. I didn't particularly like that plot twist.

sanjuro_ronin
12-04-2008, 11:49 AM
ROTFL! I should warn you that all Canadians are trained in the use of the blunderbuss from the cradle in case our noisy neighbours from the south decide to invade again. ;)

Sanjuro Ronin will back me up on this. ;)

And you can keep Ali Larter but I'll agree on Erica Durance. ;)

Its how we roll biotches !!!

SimonM
12-04-2008, 12:11 PM
:D See :D

nolte13
12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
....and here I thought the only thing I had to fear from you wascly Canadians were empty beer bottles and hockey sticks.

And the occasional moose encounter.

(I'm not even going to go near the whole bacon and ham confusion.....eh)

SimonM
12-05-2008, 07:27 AM
LOL Canada has more firearms per capita than the USA. The big difference is that we didn't enshrine firearm ownership as a right in our constitution and see it as a privilege that can be taken away if you misbehave with your gun. ;)

But, yeah, what do you think we use to SHOOT those giant rocky mountain deer with? Hockey sticks? :p

Speaking of moose encounters...

My wife and I were camping in Algonquin provincial park and were having a swim. A bull moose, probably a two year old, was strolling along the bank of the lake when a little boy on a bicycle biked head first into the lake in front of the moose (who he didn't see) and making a terrible racket. The bull moose panicked. And moose are BIG. That was actually slightly nerve wracking.

nolte13
12-05-2008, 08:10 AM
But, yeah, what do you think we use to SHOOT those giant rocky mountain deer with? Hockey sticks? :p

Truthfully, I kind of imagined the whole pack attack strategy that they used to use on Wolly Mammoths. Lure it against a mountain face or into a giant pit, and then make it rain slapshots.

Whoever lands the killing blow gets to eat the brains. Right?

On a serious note, I do love Canadians. In a bit of relevance Kristen Kreuk is Canadian. And so is Grace Park.

Any nation that spawns delicacies like that, is alright by me. I would be more than happy to pump their petrol for them*.

*I originally left that as "pump their petrol.", but though that sounded a little dirty. I also thought it was hilarious enough to explain.

SimonM
12-05-2008, 09:35 AM
ROTFL!

Oil is a dirty business. ;)

nolte13
12-05-2008, 04:05 PM
You went exactly in the direction I was trying to avoid...

And I can only commend you for it sir.

Beautiful.....

Li Kao
12-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Regarding Heroes, I only watched the 1st season and part of the 2nd season, but the storyline started to get really disjointed and scattered. I hear that Jeff Loeb and Jesse Alexander were recently let go, so maybe it will start to make more sense.

On a serious note, I do love Canadians. In a bit of relevance Kristen Kreuk is Canadian. And so is Grace Park.

And while we're at it, let us not forget Elisha Cuthbert, Rachel McAdams, Natasha Henstridge, Evangeline Lilly, and the list goes on and on ...

And of course there is another fine young Canadian Laura Vandervoort, who was Supergirl on Smallville, but I hear has been written out of the new season for the most part. I hear she is going to be in the sequel to the Jessica Alba mASSterpiece Into The blue

Getting back to Smallville -- I also heard that Michael Rosenbaum won't be in the new season either. That's a dealbreaker for me (though I stopped watching regularly around season 5). The whole show revolved around the Clark-Lex dynamic and if you're going to get rid of Rosenbaum then you might as well recast Tom Welling at that point. It's like those long running soap operas where they just get new actors for the same roles every few years -- sometimes the actor or actress does become synonymous with the role. Or to put it another way -- how did you all feel after being blown away by the news of a Led Zeppelin reunion, only to later find out that Robert Plant wasn't on board and that they're looking for a new singer? Bullocks to that, I say!

SimonM
12-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Rosenbaum refused to come back for season 8.

I think he didn't believe he was being paid enough to take the risk of being permanently type-cast as a machiavellian bald super-villain.

<spoiler>So far all we've seen of Lex is the back of his head since Rosenbaum left.

GeneChing
12-09-2008, 03:07 PM
It was good to see her on Heroes last night. She's no Elizabeth Shue, but still, KK (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48261) fans know what I'm talking about.

sanjuro_ronin
12-10-2008, 07:11 AM
It was good to see her on Heroes last night. She's no Elizabeth Shue, but still, KK (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48261) fans know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, the last time I saw her was in a Highlander, The Series, Episode.
She is a fine looking lady.

SimonM
12-10-2008, 08:06 AM
I miss the highlander series.

The only time in history that a TV adaptation of a movie franchise was better than literally every movie in the franchise.

sanjuro_ronin
12-10-2008, 08:10 AM
I miss the highlander series.

The only time in history that a TV adaptation of a movie franchise was better than literally every movie in the franchise.

Yeah...Adrian's Hung ga was pretty good too and his sword work got better and better.

SimonM
12-10-2008, 08:59 AM
And yet his movies sucked so badly!

Highlander just was a better fit to a TV serial than to a movie franchise.

sanjuro_ronin
12-10-2008, 09:06 AM
And yet his movies sucked so badly!

Highlander just was a better fit to a TV serial than to a movie franchise.

Well....I think it was a case of bad wrtining and directing.
I am sure that ANY Highlander movie would have been great if that had beter writers and directors.
I did like the first one though.

SimonM
12-10-2008, 09:15 AM
The first one had three things working in it's favor that the others didn't.

1) A classic soundtrack.
2) Sean Connery
3) A complete and total lack of space aliens, wierd undead immortals with super-speed, japanese warlocks, and suddenly introduced non-cannonical love interests.

sanjuro_ronin
12-10-2008, 09:28 AM
The first one had three things working in it's favor that the others didn't.

1) A classic soundtrack.
2) Sean Connery
3) A complete and total lack of space aliens, wierd undead immortals with super-speed, japanese warlocks, and suddenly introduced non-cannonical love interests.

And a wacko, yet "believable" and "lovable" bad guy.

SimonM
12-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Yes... lovable... that's the word...

GeneChing
12-10-2008, 10:04 AM
I can't believe this has derailed to Highlander. Maybe Highlander deserves it's own thread since there are so many fan boys here. :p I've already made my feelings about Highlander known elsewhere. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=665960&postcount=18)

I'm bummed Heroes offed Veronica Mars. Her character was getting complex and she was very easy on the eyes. And I had an epiphany about the show: bad Sylar good; good Sylar boring. "Cake!" What a great line.

SimonM
12-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Was she <spoiler> Elle?

sanjuro_ronin
12-10-2008, 12:11 PM
I can't believe this has derailed to Highlander. Maybe Highlander deserves it's own thread since there are so many fan boys here. :p I've already made my feelings about Highlander known elsewhere. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=665960&postcount=18)

I'm bummed Heroes offed Veronica Mars. Her character was getting complex and she was very easy on the eyes. And I had an epiphany about the show: bad Sylar good; good Sylar boring. "Cake!" What a great line.

Wasn't that line just too cool ?!
LOL !

SimonM
12-10-2008, 03:10 PM
I curse being a week behind on Heroes constantly!

:mad:

GeneChing
12-10-2008, 03:10 PM
...perhaps the best line of the entire season. Sylar is going to make a great Spock.

Zenshiite
12-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I curse being a week behind on Heroes constantly!

:mad:

Don't you know how to type in www.nbc.com? Or is that not available where you are?

SimonM
12-15-2008, 07:52 AM
It doesn't work from Canada; tells me I have to be in the USA to view it.

sanjuro_ronin
12-19-2008, 08:38 AM
SO, now that Season 3 of heroes is over, may I say that:
Sylar rules !!
Peter is the Clark of Heroes.
Nathan is his father, encarnate.
Claire needs some serious kinky loving IN the cheerleader outfit :D
Mohinder is a waste of space.
Hiro is hilarious.
Parkman is fat
"Nemesis" is all about the 3 F's - Fine, Fast and freaky.

SimonM
12-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Technically Season 3 is half over. But the "volume" is over. Don't spoiler the last two episodes, haven't seen them yet.

And Parkman may be fat but he's still my favorite character on that show, because he's neither a dumbsh!t nor an @ss.

Unlike Peter (dumbsh!t)
or Nathan (@ss)
or Sylar (@ss)
or Claire (dumbsh!t)
or HRG (@ss)

Hiro is OK

sanjuro_ronin
12-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Technically Season 3 is half over. But the "volume" is over. Don't spoiler the last two episodes, haven't seen them yet.

And Parkman may be fat but he's still my favorite character on that show, because he's neither a dumbsh!t nor an @ss.

Unlike Peter (dumbsh!t)
or Nathan (@ss)
or Sylar (@ss)
or Claire (dumbsh!t)
or HRG (@ss)

Hiro is OK

Your opinion of Sylar should change soon.

SimonM
12-19-2008, 08:45 AM
LOL, ok. :D

Zenshiite
12-19-2008, 11:54 PM
It doesn't work from Canada; tells me I have to be in the USA to view it.
Well, there have got to be other not so up and up sites out there... but we won't talk about that...

SimonM
12-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Of course, nobody would ever encourage piracy on KFM. :)

BTW: Seen the latest Heroes now. Gotta say... giving $0.10 on <spoiler> Sylar's death sticking and not a penny more. Glad to see Peter got his powers back. Poor Hiro though. No more mastery of time and space for him... at least until he goes on yet another epic quest to restore his powers... again... grr.

Shaolinlueb
12-22-2008, 12:58 PM
its weird, i absolutely love comics, and super hero movies. yes i remember the old spider man and cheesy captain America movie form the 90's. but i can not get into small-ville or heroes. :(

SimonM
12-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Since both series are in decline to a certain extent you may have just missed the boat.

I think alot of people (myself included) are just watching because we were from the beginning.

Shaolinlueb
12-22-2008, 09:28 PM
i watched the first season of heroes cause everyone said it was soo good. i thought it was mediocre at best. i liked 24 better. :dunno:

sanjuro_ronin
12-23-2008, 05:15 AM
i watched the first season of heroes cause everyone said it was soo good. i thought it was mediocre at best. i liked 24 better. :dunno:

Too compare 24 to Heroes..dude !
How do you compare two totally different generes of shows ??
That's like comparing Seinfield to Young and the Restless.

SimonM
12-23-2008, 09:59 AM
I found 24 to be a good once-off show.

IE: It had ONE good season.

After that it lost alot of it's effectiveness. The ticking clock thing became... well... annoying.

GeneChing
09-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Take a look at our new ezine submission:
Ray Park: Unmasked on HEROES (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=840) by Melissa Leon-Guerrero Do

Taryn P.
09-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Ali Larter is back again? How many times are they going to kill that chick off?

GeneChing
09-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Ali is my twin. Seriously, we were born on the same day.

Her story arc in Heroes has been funny. She started with multiple personalities. Then we discovered there were multiple Alis. Hopefully, in this season, there will be the Ali on Ali fight. I'm thinking that should go down in whipped cream.

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/ali-larter-naked.jpg

But seriously, anyone catch the season premiere? I only caught the tail end so I did see a scene with Ray Park but not a fight scene.

Taryn P.
09-23-2009, 08:21 AM
I taped it, but haven't had a chance to watch yet.

I liked the story arc re: the first two Ali's, but with the subsequent Ali's, it just started to get too bizarre.

The series, especially after season one, has suffered a bit from the "How many cool new characters with neato superpowers can we squeeze into this installment" malady. The storyline flags because it is just a framework for an endless parade of character sketches. They would have done better to focus on a smaller ensemble of some of the more intriguing ones, IMHO.

GeneChing
09-23-2009, 09:11 AM
The writer's strike really messed it up. The exact same thing happened with Lost. It just got too convoluted with too many characters. Unfortunately for me, I usually get home from practice in the middle of the episode. That gives me a really weird take on it all. Nevertheless, I'm still hoping for Ali vs. Ali. That, or for Hiro to go postal with his samurai sword (http://www.martialartsmart.com/35-1070.html).

GeneChing
09-25-2015, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I watched it...:o But I wasn't hooked. The only story arc that interested me was Katana Girl, and despite my penchant for sword hotties (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41007-Sword-hotties&p=1287164#post1287164), that probably won't be enough to keep me glued to the new show. Plus I don't really remember how the previous series ended, except that it ended poorly. Without Hayden, Ali and Zachary, the promise of Masi isn't enough to engage me.

http://www.theworkprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/heroes-1748x984.jpg
‘Heroes Reborn’: Is That the Kensei Sword? (http://www.theworkprint.com/heroes-reborn-is-that-the-kensei-sword/123)
By Nicole C.
Season 1, episode 1: “Brave New World/Odessa”
Original Air Date: September 24, 2015
Grade: B+

With the premiere of the Heroes Reborn mini-series tonight, a new crop of heroes have emerged yet an all too familiar sword has also resurfaced in the hands of a female warrior searching for her missing father.

When we first meet Miko Otomo (Kiki Sukezane), she is inside her condo in bustling Tokyo as a young man enters her home unexpectedly. Ren Shimosawa (Toru Uchikado) claims that he has cleared a ridiculously high level in the online game Evernow and as a result was given her address. Miko is extremely confused that someone she doesn’t know is in her apartment and tells him to leave immediately. Undeterred, Ren soon returns and explains that he’s a gamer and that he recognized her as Katana Girl, a character in the Evernow that’s never been unlocked. He even brings her a manga (Japanese comic book) that shows the story of Katana Girl.

Miko kicks him out of her place for a second time, but curiosity gets the best of her and she starts to read through the manga. It happens to be written by her father, Hachiro Otomo who has mysteriously vanished. Strangely enough the character does seem to deeply resemble her. Eventually Miko goes into her father’s study, which appears to have been untouched for a long time. She sees a missing katana from the wall and looks down to find a floor compartment with the helix symbol/glyph engraved on it. The hiding place reveals a very recognizable sword that bears the helix glyph on its hilt as well. This must be Hiro’s Kensei sword, but the question is how did come to the possession of Hachiro Otomo?

Aside from the katana, Miko’s father also left her a note that reads, “Save me…the sword is the key.”

http://www.theworkprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/NUP_168604_1374.jpg
HEROES REBORN — “Brave New World / Odessa” Episode 101 — Pictured: Kiki Sukezane as Miko Otomo — (Photo by: Christos Kalohoridis/NBC)

As soon as she removes the blade from its scabbard she is transported to the digital world of Evernow (much like Tron!). She begins to fight old school Japanese minions in the quest to find her father. Meanwhile Ren comes to apologize, probably feeling guilty from acting like an obsessed fanboy. He enters an empty apartment and sees Evernow loaded on Miko’s computer. He starts to see Katana Girl in action and can’t help himself as he joins her in the game.

Hachiro makes an appearance and says thank goodness she’s finally arrived and that they have a lot to do. Their reunion is short lived unfortunately as he is literally pulled by an invisible force into a menacing looking tower. Miko gets knocked out but luckily manages to sheath the sword again to return to the real world. Upon regaining consciousness, she tells Ren that everything he’s said is true. She really is Katana Girl and her father has somehow been trapped inside a video game.

Is Hachiro himself an evolved human with the ability to create and manipulate digital worlds that live on a different plane of existence?

Miko’s resolve remains strong and she decides to go back into the game to rescue her father. Interestingly enough, a real world version of the tower exists in Tokyo and it happens to be Yamagato Tower, likely the same Yamagato that Hiro Nakamura (Masi Oka) and Ando Masahashi (James Kyson) had worked for. Hiro became CEO of the company in season 3 after the death of his father Kaito (incidentally he also came to possess the sword at one time).

Katana Girl is ambushed in Evernow by a bunch of goons and as she logs out, she finds herself in the lobby of Yamagato Tower surrounded by the company’s security guards. She begins to fight them in real life and it feels like Tron even more where possibly some evil Yamagato executive trapped Miko’s father in the virtual world.

http://www.theworkprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/heroes-anders042.jpg
David Anders as Adam Monroe/Takezo Kensei

This new ability of the Kensei sword to transport people into a virtual reality is like a familiar character exhibiting a newfound power. The blade was such an important item in the original Heroes series that it’ll be intriguing to find out the journey it’s been through in the last five years.

But first how did it become known as the Kensei sword? The katana was originally created by a swordsmith in Otsu, Japan and somehow it came into the possession of the warrior Takezo Kensei. Hiro first encounters the blade at the Museum of Natural History in New York City (back in Heroes season 1) where he manages to steal it by slowing down time. Unfortunately it was only a replica and the real sword was in the possession of Daniel Linderman (Malcolm McDowell). Linderman had been collecting items relating to evolved humans.

Hiro manages to pinch the real Kensei sword from Linderman’s collection in Las Vegas. Upon acquiring it, he was able to reactivate his abilities after not being able to summon his powers for part of season 1. Hiro though leaves the katana with Ando before going to fight Sylar (Zachary Quinto) in New York. He avoids injury during the battle by teleporting himself, but soon discovers that he has jumped back to the year 1671. There Hiro meets Takezo Kensei/Adam Monroe (David Anders), who now possessed the blade. Adam is another evolved human with the power to regenerate (much like Claire Bennett), but the man doesn’t turn out to be the hero that Hiro expected him to be. After a lot of fighting, the time traveler leaves the katana with Yaeko (Eriko Tamura), the daughter of the swordsmith (and love interest to both Hiro and Adam), before returning to the present.

Let’s also not forget that precognative Isaac Mendez painted Hiro with the blade (and fighting a dinosaur) and all those encounters with future Hiro who had the sword with him.

The sword is still in Hiro’s custody during season 2 and likely through to season 4 when Heroes ended. However at some point within the five years between the original series and Heroes Reborn, Hachiro becomes its owner. It’ll be lots of fun to see how that happens and also more importantly how future Hiro ends up getting the sword back.

http://www.theworkprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/heroes-hiro-future.jpg
Future Hiro (Masi Oka) has the sword again.

For an item that’s been linked to so many different evolved humans in the Heroes universe it certainly cannot be just any plain old blade. Of course there is the possibility that this is a different sword all together, a twin perhaps? In any case its crafted details like this that makes the viewing experience all the more entertaining where even a sword gets its own subplot.

Tonight’s premiere of Heroes Reborn feels reminiscent of Heroes season 1 and reminded me why I loved with the series in the first place. Although we have a whole new set of characters and locations, it doesn’t dismiss what happened in the original show and builds on it. Additionally while there is a large mysterious event happening in the background, the storylines focus on how people are dealing with being different in a world that often hates what it doesn’t understand. Solid performances all around for both new and old cast members and a job well done in the writing department. If they can continue this momentum throughout the rest of the series, fans will definitely be wanting even more.

You can catch Heroes Reborn on NBC Thursdays 8/7 central.

sanjuro_ronin
09-25-2015, 11:32 AM
I watched it too, it was OK but I have hope it will get better.
Still gonna watch it for sure.