PDA

View Full Version : body alignment

bennyvt
12-03-2008, 06:07 AM
hey i was working some stuff from my anatomy classes and thought you guys would be interested. We learnt about the curve in spine to resist gravity. I got that by lifting the pelvis this creates a c shared spine. The s curve while strong from force on top creates weakness at the curve when pushed from the front. But the c shape with the abdominals contracted is stronger against this. Also by lifting the pelvis up you contract your abs so ready for attack if needed. just some thoughts as to why we do stuff

punchdrunk
12-03-2008, 07:02 AM
good thoughts, another reason could be to keep the hips ahead of the heels without leaning. An anatomy class might give all kinds of insights, thanks for sharing.

TenTigers
12-03-2008, 09:04 AM
very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I will put that into my bowl!

Another reason fo the "C" back is that it draws the organs away from the attacker, brings the arms forward to defend and attack, and combined with the drawing in of the chin (which also protects the throat) is the posture all animals take when fighting. According to some theorists,(Earle Montaigue comes to mind) this also activates the "reptillian mind," or the part of our brain that over time and evolutiion, is no longer called into much use.
I have found that this posture, when combined with specific drills and training, becomes like a switch. As soon as the posture is as sumed the mood changes, and the intent is "switched on."

I find it facinating how these are all linked.

LSWCTN1
12-04-2008, 03:27 AM
very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I will put that into my bowl!

Another reason fo the "C" back is that it draws the organs away from the attacker, brings the arms forward to defend and attack, and combined with the drawing in of the chin (which also protects the throat) is the posture all animals take when fighting. According to some theorists,(Earle Montaigue comes to mind) this also activates the "reptillian mind," or the part of our brain that over time and evolutiion, is no longer called into much use.
I have found that this posture, when combined with specific drills and training, becomes like a switch. As soon as the posture is as sumed the mood changes, and the intent is "switched on."

I find it facinating how these are all linked.

i am facinated with the human phsyc too, and i agree that this posture is like a switch (especially when coming forward following an attack)

in much the same way that the right music can put you in the frame of mind, it sort of gets you 'in the zone'

i also know that Suki (Wu Wei Wu) is very interested in things along the lines of NLP too - his facebook group is very interesting

for some odd reason it has also made me be able to keep my elbows along my centreline much easier that the 'S' stance you talk of.

Sam
12-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu-A Master's Class
http://www.martialartsview.com/index-106.html
James Cama has taught spinal rooting for decades.