PDA

View Full Version : Salem Oregon Kwoon?

tsuei08
12-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Anyone know of a decent kwoon or private instructor near Salem Oregon? Either hard or soft style, as long as it is a CMA...

uki
12-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Either hard or soft style, as long as it is a CMA...duality is a killer. :)

tsuei08
12-03-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure what you mean, elaborate please...

Lucas
12-03-2008, 10:29 PM
there are some places in portland, not sure if thats too far for you. for daily training too far for sure.

tsuei08
12-04-2008, 01:09 AM
there are some places in portland, not sure if thats too far for you. for daily training too far for sure.

Yea, definitely too far for daily training, but maybe I can make something work out. Can you tell me about some of the better places you know of?

Lucas
12-04-2008, 10:46 AM
if you are interested in taiji, Gregory Fong is a good place to check out.

Would be a great place for 1 or 2 times a month training. you can do daily training there of course, but he has a relaxed schedule and is on a month to month basis.

http://i-chuan.net/

its your hard and soft all in one :D

he will work you hard, and may demean you a little bit. but hes a real nice guy, he just likes to poke. if you go there, dont be turned off by how he jokes around.

tsuei08
12-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Cool, thanks. I had seen Gregory Fong's website and thought it looked pretty good. I read somewhere, maybe this forum or another somewhere else, memory fails me, that he also teaches some internal arts not specifically noted on the website... Xingyi or bagua.. maybe both... Thoughts?

Lucas
12-04-2008, 11:28 AM
he definately has knowledge he can share that isnt advertised on his website.

he also does a yearly trip to china with any students who can make it. they study with masters as guests while in china. as well as having guests come in from time to time to share. its a pretty open atmosphere. hes been around for a while and has been able to train with many people.

"What I teach is based on the efficient application of physical principles to the fundamentals of how the body and mind work together," says Fong.

quoted from his site is a great summary of how he teaches.

tsuei08
12-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow, sounds great! Thank you so much for the info. And as to the verbal "digs" he might lay on someone, I appreciate the heads up. I can handle it though, I've been around enough Chinese (both in and out of the Kung Fu community) to understand how that works... it's a cultural thing. I actually referenced that sort of thing in a recent paper I wrote for my Intercultural Communication class at CCC, "Sifu says my technique is 'horrible' I must fix it to make Sifu happy" it's intended for edification, not tearing down. If the Sifu (or any Chinese for that matter) didn't care, they wouldn't say anything...

I think I might have to check out Sifu Fong's kwoon. BTW, do you know his standard tuition rates?

Thanks!

Lucas
12-04-2008, 12:14 PM
when last i trained there it was $70 a month. that gives you a couple classes a week. All I was going for was the Chen, I didnt go to the Yang. I-Chuan will be incorporated into everything he teaches you.

ive been thinking of going back. I came into some financial situations that made me stop going, and i just kind of didnt go back.

im looking at some judo now. a friend tipped me off that there are some teachers here from japan with the purpose of spreading judo. i guess they are teaching out of some college for really cheap for the love of judo.

im trying to track them down through a friend.