PDA

View Full Version : Nam Pai Chuan

Giuseppe_S
12-04-2008, 04:24 AM
Hello all, I'm quite interested to find out more about this style of martial art, Is this a legit style of Shaolin Kung Fu? I know there is a school local to me and i'm thinking of going to check this out.
Would be great if anyone who has done or still does study the Nam Pai Chuan style to help me out here.

many thanks

Eddie
12-04-2008, 04:40 AM
what would nam pai quan mean?

seems to me like a badly translated made up style ....

unless you are just referring to nanquan, in which case, you should head over south to the southern forum.

Giuseppe_S
12-04-2008, 04:44 AM
Hello mate this is one of the sites http://www.nampaichuan.com/

Eddie
12-04-2008, 05:24 AM
erm... could be anything. It tries to refer to the style as shaolin southern 'family' fist style. Theres a whole tread about the use of the word pai somewhere on this forum. You should go take a look.

probably a mix of a few southern styles if anything.

David Jamieson
12-04-2008, 07:20 AM
The listed founder, Shi Gao Can reputedly traveled through singapore and malaysia and took on hundreds if not thousands of students.

Upon his death, like happens when many kungfu masters of repute die, many people attribute their arts to him if they spent time learning with him.

subsequently you have many schools that are connected with Shi Gao Can, but that do not have an actual strictly formed curriculum derived from his principle teachings.

But then, many active teachers have learned from different sources and cannot attribute their curriculum to any one single line, but often they will anyway.

TenTigers
12-04-2008, 08:44 AM
alot of the empty hand forms looked made-up. The spear set also looked made-up.

Lama Pai Sifu
12-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Aren't all forms 'made up'?

Or do you mean to say "made up badly?"
:)

TenTigers
12-04-2008, 09:33 AM
certainly not!
MY forms are direct transmission from the hand of God.

those forms however, were made-up...badly.

tsuei08
12-04-2008, 09:38 AM
I would like elaboration on what you mean by "made-up"... please understand I am not disagreeing with you. In the vids every single form looked "odd" and unimpressive to me, but then I have seen people who looked amazing on film and then were ehhh in reality, and vice versa... So, I can take no stance from just viewing these vids, I would have to be in their presence, experience there fajing, etc...

David Jamieson
12-04-2008, 09:39 AM
hmm, i only watched the first three and they pretty much looked like gum gong type of stuff.

I didn't get to watch all of it.

But yeah, all forms are made up and many are compilations of qigongs mixed with martial technique which can obfuscate meaning to some extent when viewed without knowledge of the working aspects.

solo forms in general are like this from most styles where attacks aren't just blatant. :)

TenTigers
12-04-2008, 09:51 AM
there is a noticeable difference between forms that are based on a solid framework of technique, power generation, theory, concepts,hei-gung, etc and a bunch of moves strewn together.
The odd thing here is that the forms performed by the Chinese Sifu seemed to be more traditional, yet the forms demonstrated by the students seemed to be recently crested-possibly as beginner sets for the students.
Sometimes, a system has only a few sets, which contain the higher level technique and there isn't a beginner set for the neophyte.
This is because many systems were designed to be taught to a small select few on a one to one transmission from Sifu to student. When you teach to the masses, beginner sets are often created as a vehicle to get the student 'up to speed' in order to be able to grasp the techniques in the later forms, sort of like stepping stones. A child needs to learn his alphabet before forming sentances and writing literary works.
I myself, have also added two rudimentary, beginner sets in my curriculum, as the Pillar sets in Hung-Ga are very long and complex.
Some families of Choy Li Fut teach Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choy, or Kun Jun for this very reason.
The problem here is that these beginner sets do not seem to be connected to the advanced sets at all in structure or method.

Mano Mano
12-04-2008, 10:57 AM
what would nam pai quan mean?

seems to me like a badly translated made up style ....

unless you are just referring to nanquan, in which case, you should head over south to the southern forum. apparently nam pai chuan means south north fist & not south sect or family fist. there was a lengthy discussion on MAP about them a while back

The listed founder, Shi Gao Can reputedly traveled through singapore and malaysia and took on hundreds if not thousands of students.

Upon his death, like happens when many kungfu masters of repute die, many people attribute their arts to him if they spent time learning with him.

subsequently you have many schools that are connected with Shi Gao Can, but that do not have an actual strictly formed curriculum derived from his principle teachings.

But then, many active teachers have learned from different sources and cannot attribute their curriculum to any one single line, but often they will anyway.
I agree with you on the Shi Gao Can connection

lkfmdc
12-04-2008, 11:03 AM
nothing I teach is "made up"

it is all "stolen" :D

(of course, it is only stolen from the best, you remember that!)

Eddie
12-04-2008, 07:33 PM
apparently nam pai chuan means south north fist & not south sect or family fist. there was a lengthy discussion on MAP about them a while back

I agree with you on the Shi Gao Can connection

yeah. saw their site logo now. For some reason i cannot open half their sites from my site. weird

Eddie
12-04-2008, 07:39 PM
can someone please give me a direct link to the video page?

I need to find some way to get over this **** wall

taai gihk yahn
12-04-2008, 08:14 PM
it looks like some sort of southern short hand, sorta...but it seems to missing something; the best set was the one of the teacher doing staff on his roof - the sequence of moves looked pretty similar to the stuff CTS typically taught; the empty hand stuff - meh...a lot of generic stuff, but it didn't really coalesce well; also, no expression of "ging" at all, which, given the "shape" of what he was doing, would be something you'd expect to see...

Giuseppe_S
12-05-2008, 02:05 AM
All I need to know now is what styles of Kung Fu be it northern or southern are taught within the NPC system.

**EDIT**

I have found another site which may be of interest and links NPC http://www.sekkohsam.tk/

And here is another about Shi Gao Can

http://www.authenticshaolin.com/saolim4.html

Mano Mano
12-06-2008, 08:40 AM
All I need to know now is what styles of Kung Fu be it northern or southern are taught within the NPC system.

**EDIT**

I have found another site which may be of interest and links NPC http://www.sekkohsam.tk/

And here is another about Shi Gao Can

http://www.authenticshaolin.com/saolim4.htmlThey don’t teach any specific northern or southern styles, their system is supposed to be a mixture of northern & southern kung fu called Nam Pai Chuan.

David Jamieson
12-06-2008, 09:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVLcfateYc

this is the set they are demonstrating in some of the clips it is on youtube.
it is referred to as "Yizhimei Quan".

I have also heard "Hood Gar" as reference to the principle style of Shi Gao Can.

It 'looks' like a tiger crane system typical of southern shaolin styles.

htowndragon
12-06-2008, 09:23 PM
hood in hood gar would be fukien (ming nan) dialect for Fut/Faaht or Fo. In other words, Fut gar.