PDA

View Full Version : Zopa Gyatso?

LSWCTN1
12-06-2008, 09:51 AM
can anybody tell me anything about him, either in public or by pm?

many thanks

David

anerlich
12-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Yes.

email me on anerlich@yahoo.com and tell me why you are interested, and in all probability I'll respond.

rindge
12-07-2008, 01:14 AM
I've never met the guy, but I read his posts on Rene's old WCML (is that still around). The guy impressed the hell out of me with his WC knowledge, breadth of MA knowledge, real life experience, and dedication to martial spirit. Remember I picked this up via reading his email exchanges. I'd like to meet the guy one day - I also got the impression he was a little bit of a recluse.

Rindge

Jim Roselando
12-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Zopa's Web Site:

www.yunhoiwngchun.com

LSWCTN1
12-08-2008, 05:47 AM
Zopa's Web Site:

www.yunhoiwngchun.com

hi,

thank you for the reply - i stumbled across this and became very interested in him and his approach, he seems very knowledgable and i was wondering if anybody had any direct experience with him?

stonecrusher69
12-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I googled his name and checked out his website. Very interesting...worth checking out..good luck..

Jim Roselando
12-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Hello,

I have been in regular contact with Zopa for a number of years. Very nice man and very serious about his art. I have seen many videos of his students and it is classic Yuen Kay San WC. Actually, some of the better stuff I have watched on YKS boxing!

Zopa is a wealth of knowledge and he has trained numerous arts to a high standard over his career. (ykswc, ymwc, taikiken, hun yun taiji etc.) He trained directly with Kenichi Sawei in Japan and other notable internal boxers. His level of fitness level is second to none so if you take his class, prepare for a serious work out.

If you are interested in speaking directly with Zopa, please e-mail me and I will give you his e-mail address!

info @ apricotforesthall . com

Hope this helps!

Peace,

chisauking
12-09-2008, 01:21 PM
LOL, I remember Zopa quite well on the other wing chun mailing list. He was a very good communicator, and I was always impressed with his writing skills.

Had a quick glance at his site......Well worth a look

But I warn all the MMAs here, you might not like some of the things there...For example, look at the 'meeting sifu' section.

Because I don't belong in the Pepsi & Popcorn mentality brigade (where people judge an arts effectiveness by its success -- or failure -- in MMA events) I thought a lot of the topics were well written.

TenTigers
12-09-2008, 02:27 PM
isn't that some Italian dialect for, "Cat Soup?"

anerlich
12-09-2008, 07:59 PM
"Zopa Gyatso" is not his real name, and not the name he teaches his classes under. For some reason he was able to get away with that on the WCML, despite it being against its rules.

I have been in regular contact with Zopa for a number of years. Very nice man and very serious about his art.

I was in regular contact with "Zopa" over a period of months some years ago, after he made some statements on the WCML about some mutual acquaintances which were borderline defamatory. I saw aspects to his personailty which were distinctly at odds with the quoted opinion. These were confirmed by another WCML member who contacted me independently and had met "Mr. Gyatso" personally.

Anone wanting to tell "Zopa" about this should also remind him that our last interaction did not end up as a great result for him due to his p***ing off the aforesaid mutual acquaintances.

I was always impressed with his writing skills

Me too, especially the fiction.

isn't that some Italian dialect for, "Cat Soup?"

I understand "Zopa Gyatso" means "Ocean of Forebearance". Personally I do not feel it is a particularly fitting moniker.

Wu Wei Wu
12-09-2008, 10:08 PM
"Our last interaction did not end up as a great result for him due to his p***ing off the aforesaid mutual acquaintances.

ROFLMAO!

Tell me more. Please.

LSWCTN1
12-10-2008, 01:49 AM
i received a pm from ANerlich who was very helpful regarding what i was looking to know, although i do understand that 'one mans muck may be another mans brass', so i am looking forward to other peoples comments on him too

cheers people

anerlich
12-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Tell me more. Please.

Not on the forum. Email me on the above address.

Jim Roselando
12-11-2008, 05:19 AM
Hello,

Everyone on the net has some, or heard some, stories about others. (and themselves)

It is always best to visit the Sifu in question, or a few, and """try some classes""" before you choose an instructor in an art.

Visit him and find out for yourself if you really want to know more about the guy. Beware of all the stories floating around the net! Trust your own experience and take everyones with a grain of salt.

Just some thoughts!

Peace,

LSWCTN1
12-11-2008, 06:31 AM
i would like to point out that ANerlich has been very helpful in providing his opinions for me, and also was never critical of Zopa Gyatso's skill

wanted to make sure that everybody was clear on it - so there were no issues

BlockyPS
12-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi Andrew,

It's great to see that you haven't changed a bit in 5 years and can keep a vendetta going this long :)

Although, I simply don’t understand why you work so hard to try and discredit Zopa? Just because someone doesn't agree with the way you see things and isn't enamoured with your heroes the way you are doesn't justify this sort of petty attack on their character.

Sorry to join this tread so late but I thought it merited setting the record straight in an effort to rebalance the negative assertions in your post.

Firstly, Zopa Gyatso is his formal Buddhist name given to him when he was ordained as a Buddhist monk, which he is fully entitled to use. He also has a Chinese name and an Anglo name but when he took this new name (as is the custom) by his Lama, he agreed to use it.

I don’t know how you managed to get the idea that Zopa doesn’t teach his classes under this name? Zopa teaches all his classes under this name and always has. Even his first aid certificate bears this name. I’d have to say your ‘sources’ seem less than credible.

In the martial arts world Zopa is always referred to by this name. At the recent AKWF general meeting he signed in as Zopa Gyatso and was addressed as Zopa. At this year’s National Kung Fu and Wu Shu Tournament he was invited as Zopa Gyatso and judged as Zopa. The local Chinese community here know him and address him as Zopa. I personally didn’t learn his Anglo name for more than 3 years after I started training with him! I don’t see your problem with this Andrew? What exactly is your point?

Secondly, I’m not sure who the member of the WCML was you claim to have met Zopa is? We know of only two people from the WCML who have visited us and they were Rob Weingeist from the US, who’s comments are cited in the endorsement section of our website and a guy named Mark from Queensland who came down to meet Zopa one afternoon.

We are always very friendly and welcoming to all our visitors, however people who are; rude, disrespectful, insincere or loud mouth know-it-alls get exactly what they deserve from us, which is nothing at all.

With respect to Mark, Zopa actually bought him lunch and listened to him talk about himself for more than an hour before asking him if he had any questions. Mark couldn’t think of anything so he left without being shown any Wing Chun or learning anything. A person who visits us, more often than not, determines what they are worthy of learning from their own behaviour.

Finally, as for "p***ing off" your "mutual acquaintances", we have never received any
communication from anyone saying they are “p***ed off”, unless you are referring to Walt when you tried to set up Zopa with a bit of old women’s gossiping. I recall they exchanged a phone call where he was quite amused that someone your age (54?) would be so childish.

Andrew, I accept that you have your own issues and are somewhat blinkered, however, I recommend Zopa’s website to those who have the brains to see it for what it is (as some here seem to from the comments being made) a wealth of unselfish, rare and highly knowledgeable genuine Wing Chun. But it may not be up your alley Andrew as you’re a kick boxer of course.

Cheers
Rich

bennyvt
12-18-2008, 02:32 AM
is this guy in australia

anerlich
12-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi Andrew,

Sorry, do I know you?

I simply don’t understand why you work so hard to try and discredit Zopa? Just because someone doesn't agree with the way you see things and isn't enamoured with your heroes the way you are doesn't justify this sort of petty attack on their character.

It's great to see that you haven't changed a bit in 5 years and can keep a vendetta going this long

It actually happened about 10 years ago, and this is the second time I've discussed it publicly since. Someone asked for opinions about him, which I provided. If you call that "working hard", I assume you must be the apocryphal bludging public servant regalarly flogged by the media. And its a pretty uneventful vendetta.

You have no idea who my heroes are, and no, "Zopa" didn't insult any of them directly. He did insult Walt Missingham, and by implication, the AWKFO, and Richard Bradford, on the list, without any provocation from me.

This is a statement of events that transpired. My opinion of "Zopa"'s character was molded thereby. I made no comments about his skill, knowledge of KF or Buddhism, or whatever. Just what happened and my impression of "Zopa" which resulted. I wouldn't have bothered had not the OP asked.

I recall they exchanged a phone call where he was quite amused that someone your age (54?) would be so childish.

That's what I thought about "Zopa's" posts and conduct on the list. Perhaps he's grown up since. I hope so.

In the martial arts world Zopa is always referred to by this name.

Back in the day the association website had him listed under his Anglo name. David Crook at the time told me had never heard of a "Zopa Gyatso", despite the latter claiming to be a member of the branch of which David was then the VP.

I haven't looked since, so you may be right about the site. If so, he left fixing it for way too long.

Secondly, I’m not sure who the member of the WCML was you claim to have met Zopa is?

This was around ten years ago, and I'm not dragging the guy into this. David Crook also spoke to him at the time should you feel a need to check.

I don’t see your problem with this Andrew

Maybe you don't want to look.

At the time, it allowed "Zopa" to insult the aforementioned MA identities, one of whom was the head of the KF org to which "Zopa" belonged at the time, without revealing to anyone the name under which he was known to them at the time.

People can refer to themselves how they wish, though the adoption of a different name than the one their parents gave them may make some wonder if they have something to hide, as it appears Z may have at the time.

unless you are referring to Walt when you tried to set up Zopa with a bit of old women’s gossiping

I didn't need or try to set anyone up, it was all "Zopa's" own unsolicited old women's (your words) work. I would be amused if 'Zopa" even discussed it with him, let alone mentioned me by name.

David Crook, of whom I am sure you know, knows about the events mentioned.

Andrew, I accept that you have your own issues and are somewhat blinkered

LOL, and you're totally unbiased as well as unpatronising. :p

But it may not be up your alley Andrew as you’re a kick boxer of course.

If comedy talent were water, Rich, your mind is a desert.

I thought it merited setting the record straight

If that's what you want to call it. you're entitled.

Say what you like about me. I doubt we've met, and so you're grasping at straws. Unlike some, I make no claims to be something I'm not.

Benny, "Zopa" is in Canberra AUS.

bennyvt
12-19-2008, 12:52 AM
cool thanx i thought you were talking about someone from overseas.

BlockyPS
12-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi Andrew,

Sorry, do I know you?

Yes, but it'd be stretching your memory. We had several discussions on the old WCML as well as on here way back when the WCML was still around.

It actually happened about 10 years ago

Actually no, it was about 5-6 years ago just before I dropped off the WCML. Geez Andrew, if you got this wrong the logical possibility people have to entertain is you got other material wrong - and you have.

He did insult Walt Missingham, and by implication, the AWKFO, and Richard Bradford, on the list, without any provocation from me.

Well, Zopa tells it like it is. He tends to be blunt and straight forward but he's honest. He's been training since the 60's and is actually senior to most of the 'names' out there. He was a Karate Dan when Bradford was just starting! If he sees BS he calls it.

This is a statement of events that transpired. My opinion of "Zopa"'s character was molded thereby.

So no-one can criticise anyone in your world without you immediately being offended and annoyed?

I made no comments about his skill, knowledge of KF or Buddhism, or whatever.

And rightly so IMO as you've never seen him or his art.

Just what happened and my impression of "Zopa" which resulted. I wouldn't have bothered had not the OP asked.

One encounter, via the internet – wherein Zopa comments about people he had known (and at least seen!) or knew of, in David Crook’s case, since the days they entered MA decades ago (decades - literally before you or I started) and you can form a rounded, comprehensive picture of a person's character from that? Hmmm - could it simply be Zopa stated things you disagreed with?

That's what I thought about "Zopa's" posts and conduct on the list. Perhaps he's grown up since. I hope so.

Andrew, it's funny that dozens of the members of that list still maintain regular contact with Zopa and hold an entirely opposite view to yours. They actually know him and don't go about posing as a fount of knowledge about him - certainly not based on a minute sample of comment.

Back in the day the association website had him listed under his Anglo name. David Crook at the time told me had never heard of a "Zopa Gyatso", despite the latter claiming to be a member of the branch of which David was then the VP.

Zopa was, and is a member of the AKWF (the Australian Kung Fu and Wu Shu Federation). He was actually registered under both his names. For international readers who don't know what the AKWF is; it's a political body (there is one for every sport here in Australia) it does not award grades or recognise skill. It regulates (some would say over regulates) the industry but as in plenty of other industries there are a lot of criminals and idiots so that's probably not such a bad thing on balance.

To obtain public liability insurance and in many cases even to rent a hall to train in, you HAVE to belonging to the AKWF. We belong and Zopa also volunteers his students to help out the AKWF tournaments behind the scenes, like we did at the National Kung Fu and Wu Shu Tournament earlier this year. He does this without any thought of grand standing, showing off or big noting himself.

I haven't looked since, so you may be right about the site. If so, he left fixing it for way too long.

So you're upset? Zopa registered with the AKWF with full details - including his Tibetan Buddhist name - from day 1. When you ran off to tittle-tattle to Walt (or was it David?), Walt found Zopa's form to speak to him about your comments on AKWF files and the matter was settled.

David Crook also spoke to him at the time should you feel a need to check.

Do you mean your 'secret source' spoke to David at the time and confided to him his impressions of Zopa or do you mean David spoke to Zopa about him using his Buddhist name, because David didn’t.

At the time, it allowed "Zopa" to insult the aforementioned MA identities, one of whom was the head of the KF org to which "Zopa" belonged at the time, without revealing to anyone the name under which he was known to them at the time.

The names you mention have all been around long enough to know Zopa by both names. Just to make things perfectly clear to the readers here. Walt is president of the AKWF and is simply an administrator of that body. Zopa hasn't learnt from him (or anyone Andrew knows), least that be implied, and owes no allegiance to him. Zopa sees the advantages of the organisation as a regulatory body and recognises it does some good things.

People can refer to themselves how they wish, though the adoption of a different name than the one their parents gave them may make some wonder if they have something to hide, as it appears Z may have at the time.

Andrew, I accept what you mean applies to a lot of folks who crawl the internet deliberately bagging out other people and promoting their own organisations for their own ends. However, Zopa's motives were obvious to all who read his insightful posts on the net - to help guide and inform those who were genuine seekers of Wing Chun knowledge.

He had no ulterior motives. He had no martial arts empire he was trying to build or protect. He had no vendettas against anyone. He just called BS when he saw it. That ruffles feathers but if no one says anything to counter the BS then those who make up the nonsense will never be called out.

If I recall correctly all this came about when Zopa made references to laws which policed training knives, where each student of the knives HAD to take costly regular training courses, through the AKWF, to get a licence to use them. And we're not talking real knives here, we're talking fake aluminium ones! So the AKWF makes a fortune from decent people who follow the laws while criminals just pick up real ones and stick people - no course, no checks. Bureaucracy at it's best!

It seems to me like you just took a dislike to Zopa for your own reasons - they may've been jealousy at his popularity, his writing skills, his opinions - or for some other odd reason. Maybe you just simply don't like the fact that he knows the truth behind a lot of the BS because he was there at the time, having trained WCK since the mid 1960s when YM was still alive.

David Crook, of whom I am sure you know, knows about the events mentioned.

That makes sense that you told David and he went to Walt, as it was Walt who rang Zopa. I wonder, too, just how honestly you reported what it was alleged Zopa had said - I'm sure Zopa would be happy to repeat it with a reasonable rationale - and actually having met, interacted with, and knowing the characters and events he comments on.

LOL, and you're totally unbiased as well as unpatronising.

Andrew, you clearly have issues. Someone asks what people know about Zopa and you jump in with "email me" off this forum - implying gossip. I prefer to shine some light on the situation like a man, in the open. Others have expressed opinions of Zopa, so far what's been said? Helpful, friendly, knowledgeable, skillful writer, highly skillful sifu - hmmm and your "ppsstt, hey hop behind the woodshed and I'll tell you everything you need to know about Zopa" is telling of your character.

If comedy talent were water, Rich, your mind is a desert.

Well didn't you used to sign yourself off as "Glorified kickboxer"? You say you study grappling right? Yet you pass yourself off as some expert on Wing Chun on these forums. Zopa has studied WCK since the 1960s and just teaches WCK. I was making the point you do these other arts all we do is legitimate Wing Chun!

Here's a clip of your Sifu. I acknowledge that he's a good fighter but what he does is not Wing Chun!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Nobllu1gA

Say what you like about me. I doubt we've met, and so you're grasping at straws. Unlike some, I make no claims to be something I'm not.

As I said, I'm setting, and have set, the record straight. You're the one grasping at straws in an attempt to discredit one of Wing Chun's most knowledgable and generous men.

I'm not interested in spending time on some prolonged argument with you Andrew, but if you're going to post BS I won't let you get away with it. I'm off to train, good luck with the kick boxing, grappling etc etc etc

Cheers
Rich

anerlich
12-21-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm not interested in spending time on some prolonged argument with you Andrew

It doesn't look that way from your posts, but OK.

Andrew, but if you're going to post BS I won't let you get away with it.

My motivation for arguing with "Zopa" in the first place, and responding here.

Well, Zopa tells it like it is. He tends to be blunt and straight forward but he's honest. He's been training since the 60's and is actually senior to most of the 'names' out there. He was a Karate Dan when Bradford was just starting! If he sees BS he calls it.

So if he publicly criticises Walt or Richard, that's "telling it like it is", "being blunt, straightforward ... [and] ... honest", and "calling BS when he sees it".

If I publicly criticise him, OTOH, I'm a cowardly weasel with issues who is conducting a vendatta.

Hear that whooshing sound? That's the wind blowing through the huge holes in your logic.

He just called BS when he saw it. That ruffles feathers but if no one says anything to counter the BS then those who make up the nonsense will never be called out.

Exactly my motivation. Hope you fixed up your own feathers.

So no-one can criticise anyone in your world without you immediately being offended and annoyed?

I think you should ask yourself that question.

He was actually registered under both his names.

If so, it didn't make it to the web at the time and a number of AKWF people found it quite difficult to eventually establish that. "Zopa" arguably went to considerable lengths to conceal his given name from the list at the time.

We belong and Zopa also volunteers his students to help out the AKWF tournaments behind the scenes

I do a fair bit of reffing, scoring and timekeeping myself. Doesn't qualify me for sainthood.

Andrew, it's funny that dozens of the members of that list still maintain regular contact with Zopa and hold an entirely opposite view to yours.

Rich, a fair few of them have similar views to me and contacted me unilaterally closer to the time to confirm them. Funny indeed.

However, Zopa's motives were obvious to all who read his insightful posts on the net

His motives at the time were pretty obvious also.

I am willing to accept that a man should perhaps not be judged on one unsavoury episode and he should not be seen as incapable of change or learning from mistakes. I can also accept that his influence on yourself and others may be a very positive one overall.

However, everything I mentioned did happen.

Yet you pass yourself off as some expert on Wing Chun on these forums.

I claim neither special knowledge nor special expertise in WC.

I do know bad behaviour and jockriding when I see it.

I was making the point you do these other arts all we do is legitimate Wing Chun!

Some people don't multitask well. That's no reflection on them.

I acknowledge that he's a good fighter but what he does is not Wing Chun!

And other than as a possible insult, your opinions about my instructor and his work are of no consequence.

I'm off to train, good luck with the kick boxing, grappling etc etc etc

Thank you. Enjoy your training and the holidays.

SimonW
12-23-2008, 05:19 AM
Andrew, I find it incredible that you seem to find the use of names such as the way Zopa uses his given Buddhist name unusual. I just do not seem to see what the issue is. I was on the WCML when everything blew up, and I can say that there were a lot of people there with VERY political motives.

"Zopa" arguably went to considerable lengths to conceal his given name from the list at the time.

He he! ROTFLMAO! Why exactly does this cause a problem? Zopa is his Buddhist name. Why would publicising his Anglo name have made any difference whatsoever?

Andrew, you are obviously saying things in private emails to people. If you really do have a problem with Zopa then you should call such things in public, unless you feel they are libelous, in which case you shouldn't be saying them at all.

Back in the last days of WCML when there was a witch hunt going on not one single person could ever tell me what their real issue with Zopa was. All I ever saw from people were ridiculous claims that they 'knew something' or knew a person who knew a person who said something or other. Well, if anyone had any balls between their legs they'd bring any direct problems that they have into the open.

My own interactions with Zopa have been nothing but positive. He has been incredibly helpful over the years, and unlike the people who for some petty reason have negative things to say, I have seen the results of his teaching in his students who, in all honesty, have some of the highest quality WCK I have seen. Then there is Rob, who Rich mentioned, who also has nothing but good things to say about him. In fact Rob was totally blown away and his meeting totally changed the course of his WCK journey.

anerlich
12-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Andrew, I find it incredible that you seem to find the use of names such as the way Zopa uses his given Buddhist name unusual.

Simon, I find it incredible that you think this is normal behaviour.

Andrew, you are obviously saying things in private emails to people.

LOL, and I'll bet I'm not the only one!

If you really do have a problem with Zopa then you should call such things in public

As he should have with Messrs Missingham and Bradford.

I'd say that's happened already in this case, wouldn't you? My thanks to Rich in that regard.

Then there is Rob, who Rich mentioned, who also has nothing but good things to say about him. In fact Rob was totally blown away and his meeting totally changed the course of his WCK journey.

Good for Rob. Good for you. My experiences are different.