PDA

View Full Version : Sparred an Isshinryu Black Belt after 10 judo classes.

naja
12-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I posted this on the judo forum I visit a few days ago. Thought I would share it here as well.

I spent a few days at my in-laws place over the thanksgiving holiday and decided to spar my brother-in-law. I'm not sure what level blackbelt he is, he's been out of training for 2 years, started at 5 years old and stopped because of college at 18. From talking with him and his sister in the past I thought that they had some ground fighting, but apparently it doesn't account much for ground grappling.

We went at it about 10 times before I had to quit due to my sugar problems. I took some solid hits on the first couple rounds. It took me that long to learn how to get in clinch range with him, but once I did it was all but over. 1st take down ended in a RNC on him. He fought it for a while before tapping which made me wonder, since I had asked him before we started, if he understood tapping. I guess he may have figured there was no way I was going to get him on the ground in the first place.

The next several take downs ended with him lading in turtle position, and me with my right arm around his neck. After the first RNC he learned not to let my arm under his chin. I wish we had been sparring in a larger room than what we had, since the small size meant I had virtually no room to hook and roll him into rear mount. The last time I took him down I ended up in his guard, which he tried to kick me out of. I got up, not wanting my teeth kicked in, and he proceeded to comment on how his little kicking spree saved him. I couldn't help but think to myself how vulnerable he was lying there, trying to get up. I could have kicked him in the nuts, ribs, or knee easily.

So that's my story. All in all I think it was a good experience. I've got two years training in kung fu, and I know if I had relied on that training I would have gotten beat badly. But only after a hand full of judo classes, I was able to find an avenue that gave me the upper hand.

Kevin73
12-09-2008, 11:16 AM
So he started as a kid and left as a kid, and hasn't practiced in 2 yrs? While, you have been training in a style of kung fu to understand the striking game?

All this does is to illustrate it's the fighter and not the style. If you would have had your butt handed to you, what would you have said the reason was? Would you have given up your previous training to go train Isshin-ryu?

It's nice knowing that you can use what you have trained, but don't mistake the "style" as what won the fight.

SimonM
12-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Amen Kevin.

At the end of the day style is nothing but a heap of words next to the fighter doing the styling.

naja
12-10-2008, 03:46 AM
Wow. Both of you COMPLETELY missed the point....which I don't have time to explain right now.

Kevin73
12-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Wow. Both of you COMPLETELY missed the point....which I don't have time to explain right now.

I guess I did. When you get time I would like to hear it.

sanjuro_ronin
12-10-2008, 08:03 AM
I think his point may have been that with only 10 judo classes he was able to apply what he had learned.

SimonM
12-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Well props than. :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to diss you Naja. I honestly didn't clearly understand the thrust of your post.

naja
12-10-2008, 10:17 AM
I think his point may have been that with only 10 judo classes he was able to apply what he had learned.

Yea, that was pretty much the point.

I do think it's a style issue, but I can see the point of it being the fighter and not the style. But that also brings the question back to what kind of style the fighter has trained in.... Not so much as isshinryu vs judo, but striking vs grappling. Grappling seems much more natural to me than striking does (gross motor skills maybe?) and I was surprised that I was able to get him to the ground so easily. Might not be so easy on someone else, but again it might.

I can see the point in thinking it's the fighter and not the style if the fighter has cross trained. But, again, that includes several styles that would be tailored so specific situations.

I'm just glad I've got something local that seems to really fit me as a fighter. I wanted kung fu to be it, but I don't think I have the natural talent for a striking art. The college that hosts the judo club also hosts a boxing club as well. Maybe that would suit me better as a striking art.

And in regards to Kevin73's questions: "If you would have had your butt handed to you, what would you have said the reason was? Would you have given up your previous training to go train Isshin-ryu?" No I wouldn't have quit judo to train isshinryu, and if I had it handed to me I would say the reason was him being educated in this since he was 5. You might think of him as a kid, and I do too to a degree, but striking is second nature to him. I started at 33, so it isn't second nature to me in the least. I would have been happy just to dodge a few blows and take him down 50% of the time, but I'm really happy that I was able to take him down 100% of the time that I tried.

sanjuro_ronin
12-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Yea, that was pretty much the point.

I do think it's a style issue, but I can see the point of it being the fighter and not the style. But that also brings the question back to what kind of style the fighter has trained in.... Not so much as isshinryu vs judo, but striking vs grappling. Grappling seems much more natural to me than striking does (gross motor skills maybe?)

Most people that take up grappling would agree with that.

SimonM
12-10-2008, 10:52 AM
I think a balance of both is useful. But I personally devote greater focus to Grappling than to striking for just that reason. ;)

sanjuro_ronin
12-10-2008, 12:13 PM
One of the most honest opinions on why he prefers grappling came from a buddy of mine, now a brown belt in BJJ - "He doesn't get hit in the face".
LOL !

SimonM
12-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Nothing is more annoying than having to check to see if you have lost teeth...

Well except for when you don't check and later find that you have in fact lost a tooth.

This is experience talking. Lost a molar in a boxing match. The mouth guard... it did noooothiiiiinnnnngggggg!

sanjuro_ronin
12-10-2008, 12:36 PM

Well except for when you don't check and later find that you have in fact lost a tooth.

This is experience talking. Lost a molar in a boxing match. The mouth guard... it did noooothiiiiinnnnngggggg!

Quit blocking with your face.

SimonM
12-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Touche. :D

naja
12-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Most people that take up grappling would agree with that.

Glad to know I'm not alone... :D

Lucas
12-31-2008, 10:21 AM

lol i hear that. my first time sparring in kungfu back in the day I got KO'd by a crescent kick to my jaw. bit through my mouth piece and chipped a tooth. I got up, continued sparring after my head cleared. got caught with a SECOND crescent kick. to my defence though, it came from the other leg! that one dazed me and I almost went down, but didnt. chipped another tooth. good times.

funny thing, the same guy busted my ribs a few years later. god **** marines.

Lucas
12-31-2008, 10:23 AM
naja:

I like your post. good to hear peoples accomplishments from finding what they have been looking for.

SimonM
12-31-2008, 02:28 PM
One small point:

Doing grappling is no guarantee of avoiding getting a shot in the face. :D