PDA

View Full Version : some security confusion (funny story)

htowndragon
12-07-2008, 03:28 PM
so i've been working in the nightclub/bar security business for a few months now, and more or less have had little trouble getting people out of the bar when need be, few times i had to get rough on customers who didnt take me seriously because of my size (5'9, 140 pounds) (one time rear naked choked a 250 pound frat boy who was over 6 feet and dragged him out of the bar..) last night was just plain funny.

there are two stations at the door, entrance and exit. i had switched off from entrance and was wearing a dark green jacket with our bar logo on it because it was cold out, so it was covering my red security shirt and hadn't taken it off. I was clicking customers out when the ****tail waitress came running up to me pointing towards the floor, two guys had gotten into it and it was a ground and pound session...

i ran over and started pulling them off each other (both these guys were in black t shirts), i had one guy pinned down with my forearm and the other i was keeping at bay with one hand until i got help from somebody to control one of them and i would take care of the other

suddenly i felt two hands on me from behind, i thought it was one of the customers, so i started to swing an elbow back, saw it was the bar manager, and stopped, he dragged me off and towards the door, head of security (my manager basically), this huge ex marine, grabs me by the head (master john wangs head control) and was about to slam me against the exit door.

now the bar is dark except at the exit where the windows allow the street lights to shine in, he takes one look at me, lets go, turns around and yells out "**** LAKE (bar manager) YOu GRABBED THE WRONG ****IN GUY!!!! THIS IS OUR GUY!!!!!!"

i quickly took off the jacket and stood there laughing uncontrollably...bar manager came over and apologized and everyone had a laugh over it later.

jdhowland
12-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Whew! Glad he recognized you while you could still laugh about it.

I did that scene for a few years and had some wild experiences. After a few months I stopped getting the adrenaline rush (don't miss those shakes at all) and haven't felt one since. You notice something and you move with no deliberation and no emotion. I dealt with angry commercial fishermen and redneck oilfield workers vs. foreigners, nightclub cowboys with their search for recreational weekend fights and the dopers with their funny little plastic bags. Overall, it was a good classroom for my Reality Check 101 studies. Advanced studies came from working as a corrections officer. Anyone interested in application of gung fu should put himself in harm's way once in awhile, even if only in sporting competitions, or security gigs.

So, Dragon, I'm glad you are getting the experience. But be careful, brother. The gangs are worse than when I was your age. And don't stay at it too long. Give yourself a break once in awhile to be around people for whom self destrution is not a lifestyle.

Be well. John

p.s. Have you learned how to "swim" through a crowd?

diego
12-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Whew! Glad he recognized you while you could still laugh about it.

I did that scene for a few years and had some wild experiences. After a few months I stopped getting the adrenaline rush (don't miss those shakes at all) and haven't felt one since. You notice something and you move with no deliberation and no emotion. I dealt with angry commercial fishermen and redneck oilfield workers vs. foreigners, nightclub cowboys with their search for recreational weekend fights and the dopers with their funny little plastic bags. Overall, it was a good classroom for my Reality Check 101 studies. Advanced studies came from working as a corrections officer. Anyone interested in application of gung fu should put himself in harm's way once in awhile, even if only in sporting competitions, or security gigs.

So, Dragon, I'm glad you are getting the experience. But be careful, brother. The gangs are worse than when I was your age. And don't stay at it too long. Give yourself a break once in awhile to be around people for whom self destrution is not a lifestyle.

Be well. John

p.s. Have you learned how to "swim" through a crowd?

What is "Swim?" Thinking about getting some security tickets for a PT gig, cool thread HT :)

htowndragon
12-08-2008, 09:35 PM
if by swim you mean yelling out GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!! and do a lot of gliding (ba gua type) footwork (i used to train ba gua) then YEP!

lol

htowndragon
12-08-2008, 10:02 PM
plus, i dont do this for fun, and i dont feel the adrenaline til afterwards. i have a full time day job and after all thats happened this past semester its all i could do for extra money.

jdhowland
12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
if by swim you mean yelling out GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!! and do a lot of gliding (ba gua type) footwork (i used to train ba gua) then YEP!

lol

Yes, you've done it. That's basically it. But I was specifically referring to situations in which the music is so loud that verbal commands are impossible and you can't count on your foot hitting the floor in any specific place due to packed crowds. The technique is to judge a path of least resistance to your goal and plow through the bodies using their resistance to support you when there is no good place to step without hurting someone.

When I was head of security at a nightclub I had all the waitresses carry flashlights so they could signal security staff when their voices could not be heard. There was usually no verbal interaction until physical contact.

One interesting phenomenon I've noticed is that, when you take a determined path through a crowd, people with their backs to you will often move out of your way even though they can't see you coming. Suspect this has something to do with them reacting to the body language of others who are reacting to you. Drunks aren't very good at adapting on the perceptual level, but they sway nicely.

Be safe.

jd

Rock & Roll is dead. I swear I didn't do it.

htowndragon
12-09-2008, 09:28 PM
yup, we all use flashlights and walkie talkies with headsets