PDA

View Full Version : Which style utilzes hands the most?

Kong Jianshen
11-23-2000, 11:08 PM
I have been doing a little research into the very complete and interesting N.Praying Mantis styles.

My only conclusion thus far however is that there are many of them. I understand they emphasize all ranges of combat, have throws, locks, and attack simultaniously with hands and feet and have a hand technique called the mantis hook. I been wondering however, which of the styles uses hands techniques the most? Do any of the Northern styles have as much to offer in the close combat area as Southern mantis, which uses the hands and elbows alot?(I understand they are not related styles)

Just wondering since N mantis is kind of a mystery to me but always seemed interesting. I had a pet praying mantis once and it was pretty savage. Used to devour many insects quite ruthlessly /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance for all the info! And 8stepsifu; id like to hear from you! I know you know your mantis quite well /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Always seeking to learn,
Kong Jianshen
Humble disciple of the ancient Boxing Arts

word
12-16-2000, 02:02 PM
southern styles are better at their hands. hung gar is very good, southermantis, wing chun etcc. look for those styles for hands man. northenr styles are good with hands alos but soutehrn adds a little more touch on it man

8stepsifu
12-16-2000, 11:19 PM
I have no reason to believe that southern mantis has better hand techniques. None. Is it because we also practice kicking???? Learning kicking is on of the greatest assets to learning punching. It's all related. I would say that we may be equal, but The southern Hands, northern leg coloquialism just doesn't fit. If hand changes and waist movement are there, there is no reason why they would be better, faster or more powerfull.

8Step Sifu

MiamiMantis
12-16-2000, 11:47 PM
I'm not to sure about your question. Are you asking what system of Mantis uses the most hands?? or what style of kung fu uses the most hands. Please clarify. :) :) :) :)