PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore bone breaks in MMA matches

Shaolin Wookie
06-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Injuries are part of fighting, and certain practitioners are more likely to hurt themselves in certain ways than others, depending on hte manner of the strike, and how the power is generated.

I've seen four or five separate videos "(tracked 3 down) of legs breaking in half during round kicks to an opponent's leg.

It's really, really, gross, so only look if you wish to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDR4i_4DeC8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxgC6S9oUKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W5RI3peGLY
(2 mins. in)

I am curious to know whether any of you have seen this firsthand, whether this is somewhate common, and whether it points out a serious flaw in using the shin for kicks that might be a little too hard for practicality. I'm not really trolling, I swear. But in kung-fu, I don't ever recall hearing anyone discuss a shin kick. Sometimes people do them in sparring, but I've never heard them discussed, by a teacher, as a good kicking surface.

Kicking with the foot: obviously, breaks happen. But I wouldn't call them crippling breaks, for the most part. It depends on where the break occurs. If you were fighting, you still have a chance of surviving the encounter, or hobbling away, etc. But here.....holy crap, that has to hurt......I feel bad for those guys, and as grossed out as their opponents were.

For the sake of discussion: Here we have 3 videos of practitioners making clean, crippling breaks to the shin, where the bone is completely severed, and hte foot is just dangling inside a kind of flesh-sock. We can assume that if something's been caught on national TV at least three times in a ring fight, it has to happen much more on a wider circuit, in training dojos, amateur fights, sparring sessions.

I've also seen that leg kick break someone else's leg.

Is it a flaw in the kick, the way it was used (where on the shin to make contact), or in the practitioner (not enough conditioning of bone density to take that kind of contact)?

Discuss, if this is in any way interesting.

Black Jack II
06-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Yes, I saw a break like in vid number 2 during practice, round kick came in and caught a bone shield as in the vid.

Personally I don't work the round kick to any great degree anymore, its powerfull as hell and nasty by those skilled in its use, but for me I feel from a straight street self defense agenda it leaves me more open, than the low line straight kicks I use.

I don't see those breaks as being a flaw, first one came in low and missed the thigh and went shin to knee it seems, second one was a classic defense, third I can't really say, sometimes that's just how the percentages fall.

sanjuro_ronin
06-11-2007, 11:57 AM
The break usually happens when the kicker kicks in an "upward" angle making contact with the FLAT of HIS shin bone on the HARD EDGE of the blockers shin bone.
That is why good MT teachers teach to kick IN or Down, but NEVER UP.

Black Jack II
06-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Good point, both the first kicks were coming up in the clips, at least its how they appeared, but again in a stress based situation, as combative sports just showcased, sometimes the perfect principle of technique goes out the window.

sanjuro_ronin
06-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Good point, both the first kicks were coming up in the clips, at least its how they appeared, but again in a stress based situation, as combative sports just showcased, sometimes the perfect principle of technique goes out the window.

All to true, hence the RIGHT way has to be drilled and drilled and drilled and on harder bags and while I understand the need for shin guards when sparring, the bad habits they create have to be taken into account.

MasterKiller
06-11-2007, 01:03 PM
The break usually happens when the kicker kicks in an "upward" angle making contact with the FLAT of HIS shin bone on the HARD EDGE of the blockers shin bone.

Up kicks are taught as "cutting kicks," and down kicks are taught as "chopping kicks." Two different methods.

Royal Dragon
06-11-2007, 01:20 PM
As far as I can tell my style does not even have the roundhouse kick. I've never seen it in any of the forms (And I have a lot of them documented from all over China, in addition to the few I actually do).

Kicks are front snap, normal ones + the pushing version. Stop Kick/kneebreak also known as the "no Shadow" Kick, We also have the inside, and outside crescent kick and sevral vesions of a side kick as well as the back kick and some kicks that are really trips & sweeps, but *look* like kicks in the forms.

SevenStar
06-11-2007, 01:23 PM
I was taught to kick upward, inward and downward. upward generally targets the ribs. downward, the head and lowerbody. Inward can be used for them all. The suitcase kick is also done inward.

SevenStar
06-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Up kicks are taught as "cutting kicks," and down kicks are taught as "chopping kicks." Two different methods.

a cut kick in muay thai is a roundhouse to the supporting leg of an opponent who is kicking at you. You are kicking out their supporting leg, hopefully knocking them down.

Becca
06-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Same thing I've heard my Sifu saw dozens of times, for every type of kick. "Don't rise up on the tip toe or you fall on you butt. Don't float the kick or you'll connect where you shouldn't. Either way, you're dead in a real fight."

My Sifu's such an optomist.;)

MasterKiller
06-11-2007, 03:05 PM
a cut kick in muay thai is a roundhouse to the supporting leg of an opponent who is kicking at you. You are kicking out their supporting leg, hopefully knocking them down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlkUlA96g2Y

yenhoi
06-11-2007, 04:17 PM
We also define a cut kick as a kick to the support leg, not any upward kick.

Its very rare for someone to break their leg using a shin kick. In almost every case, the kicker is doing one or more things wrong, and in other cases has had other injuries to the leg or some sort of medical problem with their bones.

3 videos out of how many? Very rare.

Drill correctly and kick correctly, no problems.

:eek:

Mr Punch
06-11-2007, 05:25 PM
The suitcase kick is also done inward.The suitcase kick...? Are you taking the ****? WTF is that? :D

a cut kick in muay thai is a roundhouse to the supporting leg of an opponent who is kicking at you. You are kicking out their supporting leg, hopefully knocking them down.So does that go up, or does it depend?

...in other cases has had other injuries to the leg or some sort of medical problem with their bones.Good point. I haven't checked (I'm at work and can't watch vids) whether it's one of these, but it probably is: there's one of these vids floating around (maybe the oldest on the net) where the kicking guy who's leg broke had stress fractures in his shin anyway and the quacks said he had a calcium deficiency syndrome.

sanjuro_ronin
06-12-2007, 05:06 AM
The videos show low round kicks being blocked by shins, not cut kicks, not body kicks.

I have never heard any decent MT coach tell you to kick "upward" on a low round to the thigh, I did how ever get slapped in the head by Chai when I did that at a seminar and hear " you wanna break leg boy?".

Becca
06-12-2007, 06:16 AM
The suitcase kick...? Are you taking the ****? WTF is that? :D

I've heard a hook kick called a suitcase kick. Like another name for an axe kick is the lotus kick. Just a name thing...:)

SevenStar
06-12-2007, 09:49 AM
I've heard a hook kick called a suitcase kick. Like another name for an axe kick is the lotus kick. Just a name thing...:)

those are both new to me. I've never heard a hook called that. Where I took cma, the lotus kick was a type of jumping axe. the spinning hook in muay thai is "crocodile whips its tail". I can't recall how to say it in thai...

SevenStar
06-12-2007, 09:52 AM
The videos show low round kicks being blocked by shins, not cut kicks, not body kicks.

I have never heard any decent MT coach tell you to kick "upward" on a low round to the thigh, I did how ever get slapped in the head by Chai when I did that at a seminar and hear " you wanna break leg boy?".

nor have I.

SevenStar
06-12-2007, 10:00 AM
The suitcase kick...? Are you taking the ****? WTF is that? :D

it's a roundhouse variation. it's done with more bend in the leg and is used on a frontal surface like the stomach, or more commonly, the front of the quads. I am guessing the name came from the use of suitcase pads to train the kick, however, you can use a suitcase pad on the side of the leg as well...

So does that go up, or does it depend?

always inward.

Becca
06-12-2007, 10:04 AM
those are both new to me. I've never heard a hook called that. Where I took cma, the lotus kick was a type of jumping axe. the spinning hook in muay thai is "crocodile whips its tail". I can't recall how to say it in thai...
Yep, and combined with a wheel kick, you get a croc roll. I busted my nose driving my face into the ground the first time I got up the nerve to complete it. there is no doing at half speed; its an all or nothing move. :D

My style calls any axe kick a lotus kick.

Becca
06-12-2007, 10:06 AM
it's a roundhouse variation. it's done with more bend in the leg and is used on a frontal surface like the stomach, ...
Interesting... I've always heard this one called a side thrust kick. Are you using the ball of the foot or the outside edge to make contact?

sanjuro_ronin
06-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Interesting... I've always heard this one called a side thrust kick. Are you using the ball of the foot or the outside edge to make contact?

I think he is refering to the triangle kick a cross between a front and a round kick.

Becca
06-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Ah. Makes more sence now. Amazing how we all know the same basic kicks, but call them something different.:D

SevenStar
06-12-2007, 11:09 AM

no, it's not a side kick at all. it is a roundhouse and connects with the shin.

SevenStar
06-12-2007, 11:12 AM
I think he is refering to the triangle kick a cross between a front and a round kick.

I hate that kick. this kick is more roundhouse like than a triangle kick.

sanjuro_ronin
06-12-2007, 11:15 AM
I hate that kick. this kick is more roundhouse like than a triangle kick.

I would have said the "no-shadow kick" but then all the Wong nutriders would throw a fit !!

Becca
06-12-2007, 11:58 AM
no, it's not a side kick at all. it is a roundhouse and connects with the shin.

Dam. Now I'm confused again. A roundhose done with a slight bend in the knee that connects with the shin is still a roundhouse, just conected a bit close in. Yes? No?:confused:

A triangle kick is a side kick done with the swinging lower leg found in a chamered roundhouse, but still conecting with the edge of the foot. A roundhouse has more of a whipping motion and connects with the top of the foot.

A pillow kick, as I used to understand it, is similar to this, but you "dig" the ball of the foot into soft tissue (similar to trying to get gum off the bottom of your shoe), rather than thrust through like a side kick or whip at the flanks like a roundhouse. Hence the term pillow.

stricker
06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
we're talking about the bent-leg thai kick right? sorta halfway between a knee and a round kick...

about the kicking up thing, anyone kick up to the inside of the opponent lead thigh?

SevenStar
06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Dam. Now I'm confused again. A roundhose done with a slight bend in the knee that connects with the shin is still a roundhouse, just conected a bit close in. Yes? No?:confused:

yeah, that's all it is. something similiar is done from the clinch - the half knee, or half knee half shin (http://books.google.com/books?id=PMCHQ9CZGIYC&pg=PT182&ots=ZmIUXXH4Ag&dq=muay+thai+%22half+knee%22&sig=VUcJgG6n9y-I0HjsKJPVpUIdPMU#PPT182,M1)

when done as a kick rather than in clinch range, it is a suitcase kick.

SevenStar
06-12-2007, 03:33 PM
we're talking about the bent-leg thai kick right? sorta halfway between a knee and a round kick...

bingo.

about the kicking up thing, anyone kick up to the inside of the opponent lead thigh?

I do, but I was never taught to. by kicking up, you can sometimes lift that leg and move it, knocking them off balance. I only do it with my lead leg kick.

stricker
06-12-2007, 03:38 PM
bingo.

I do, but I was never taught to. by kicking up, you can sometimes lift that leg and move it, knocking them off balance. I only do it with my lead leg kick.

yeah i musta posted a few seconds before you did about the half-kick half-knee. that book link shows it as a clinch tactic to prevent knees, i didnt realise that WAS the kick, i thought it was 2 seperate techniques, one the kick and the second using the shin as a bar in the clinch... anwyay.

yeah i've been taught to kick up to the inside of the thigh with the lead leg, usually off a jab and a step. i thought thats why when some thais move their lead leg back it goes up and around so it doesnt get caught...

stricker
06-12-2007, 03:40 PM
also, i was taught it was more of a thing to hurt, its quite a tender area under the thigh... making the kick more of a low round to the leg would split the legs like a sweep i guess

Becca
06-13-2007, 06:25 AM
yeah, that's all it is. something similiar is done from the clinch - the half knee, or half knee half shin (http://books.google.com/books?id=PMCHQ9CZGIYC&pg=PT182&ots=ZmIUXXH4Ag&dq=muay+thai+%22half+knee%22&sig=VUcJgG6n9y-I0HjsKJPVpUIdPMU#PPT182,M1)

when done as a kick rather than in clinch range, it is a suitcase kick.
Ah, yes. I was thinking of the correct thing. Thanks!

SifuAbel
06-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Back to the PROBLEM with these three individuals.

The common thread between these three videos is the presence of the "floppy" foot.

Throwing the kick with a floppy relaxed foot without pointing the toe. Hence no tightening of the calf muscles, hence, no muscular mass supporting the bones. Hence, snap. I have heard this from MT people before, "the shins are like hitting with a bat." But without the muscular support its like hitting with a corked bat.

In the real skinny guy's case, it was not having enough calf to begin with. Twig legs.

----------------

Hitting with "the foot" is also too vague. One points the toe to hit with the instep no lower than the outer heel line. You don;t want to hit any lower than this, it would torque your ankle.

Shaolin Wookie
06-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Interesting. Out of curiousity....in many one-legged stances where the raised leg is chambered in front of the body....is that the reason the toes are usually pointed towards the floor?

I have no idea....just asking people better informed than I.

MasterKiller
06-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Interesting. Out of curiousity....in many one-legged stances where the raised leg is chambered in front of the body....is that the reason the toes are usually pointed towards the floor?

I have no idea....just asking people better informed than I.

When sparring/fighting, you should not chamber the leg in front of the body, you should chamber it toward the kick. If you chamber directly in front of you, ala Crane Stance, the landing kick can spin your body and leave your vulnerable.

You want to meet their shin with your shin.

But, yeah, toes down tightens the leg muscles and also prevents broken/jammed toes.

Shaolin Wookie
06-23-2007, 08:56 AM
When I see full contact karate, I see a verson of the shinkick, but it looks more like they're striking with the inside of the foot, or with the heel (toes pointed at the sky).

I can't tell if I'm seeing it wrong, or if that's the actual technique.

Anyone know?

SevenStar
06-24-2007, 07:05 AM
When sparring/fighting, you should not chamber the leg in front of the body, you should chamber it toward the kick. If you chamber directly in front of you, ala Crane Stance, the landing kick can spin your body and leave your vulnerable.

You want to meet their shin with your shin.

this is correct.

But, yeah, toes down tightens the leg muscles and also prevents broken/jammed toes.

this may be personal preference. I have had people stress that the toes should not point down while blocking, however they should point when striking. OTOH I have also had teachers stress pointing the foot. Not pointing them is more in line with thai footwork and also the ram muay.

SevenStar
06-26-2007, 05:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83AEG4wtyRA&mode=related&search=

this particular variation is actually called a submarine kick. If the guy was kicking, and his support leg was kicked, that is called a cut kick.

Becca
06-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Very nice find 7*! It also demonstrated the need to really train the half moon jump. The only way I know to not crumble when a shin hits the inner calve is to not let it hit. :p

sanjuro_ronin
06-27-2007, 07:09 AM

this particular variation is actually called a submarine kick. If the guy was kicking, and his support leg was kicked, that is called a cut kick.

Nice move, BUt his foot is angle wrong on that clip, I assume because he isn't really kicking, on this one you can see the correct angle of his kicking foot and how the low kick comes IN and never UP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h4KDpH5wYQ&mode=related&search=

MasterKiller
06-27-2007, 07:52 AM

And yet the same guy calls this a cut kick, which is the same video I posted 2 pages back:

sanjuro_ronin
06-27-2007, 07:54 AM
And yet the same guy calls this a cut kick, which is the same video I posted 2 pages back:

Hmmm, no matter how conditioned, a simple look at the anatomical weakness of the shin bone tells us that hitting with the flat part rather than the edge, is not a good idea.
Sure if all it hits is meat, ideally.
heck Ideally I can take someone out with a flying crotch attack !
Would I recommend it?
Nope.

SevenStar
06-27-2007, 01:47 PM

here's another one:

http://www.ancientmuaythai.com/school/countertech.htm

scroll down to "grabbing the elephant's trunk" - they mention that that is a cut kick as well.

here is an explanation of it on bullsh!do:
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56317&page=4

I'm not gonna say he's wrong - different schools call different techniques by different names all the time, but I have never heard of what you posted referred to as a cut kick.

another vid:
http://tdatraining.blogspot.com/search/label/Muay%20Thai

boshea
06-28-2007, 12:28 AM
the spinning hook in muay thai is "crocodile whips its tail". I can't recall how to say it in thai...

จระเข้ฟาดหาง
Jarakhe faat haang

-brian

boshea
06-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Same thing I've heard my Sifu saw dozens of times, for every type of kick. "Don't rise up on the tip toe or you fall on you butt. Don't float the kick or you'll connect where you shouldn't. Either way, you're dead in a real fight."

My Sifu's such an optomist.;)

True, although in Muay Thai we are taught to do all of our kicks on the ball of the foot, rotating as the hip of the kicking leg is turned in just prior to making contact (I know this is not the same as what your Sifu said, which was not to stand on the "tip toe").

This was difficult for me at first because in Northern Shaolin we were always taught to keep our supporting foot rooted, with the heel of the supporting foot firmly on the ground for just about everything. It was a fundamental concept. It took me a long time to un-learn that for the purposes of Muay Thai, but now its second-nature. In fact, most of the time in Muay Thai we stand on the ball of one or both feet.

-brian

Becca
06-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Yes, pivoting on the ball of the foot is good; damm hard to spin on a flat foot. The "don't rise up" was, indead, in reference to those who lift up on the toes to "reach" better. Your foot may get higher in the air, but the first time you connect even a bit, you land on your @ss. Some times you end up there even without contacting anything because you've thrown off your natural balance.:eek:

Mr Punch
06-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Don't watch this... (http://www.bodogfight.com/fullscreen/?watch=481&time=3) if you've just eaten.

Kind of back to the subject - this is a pro-fighter who must have kicked full-on thousands of times... It looked like an awkward fall but I wouldn't have called that one... dunno but it looks like she must've already had some hairline fracture or something. And to reiterate: this is very well-trained fighter.

If you want to lessen your risk of injury: quit MA!

sanjuro_ronin
06-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Freak accidents happen, no way to prepare for them.

Not really applicable to this thread though...

SevenStar
06-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Yes, pivoting on the ball of the foot is good; damm hard to spin on a flat foot. The "don't rise up" was, indead, in reference to those who lift up on the toes to "reach" better. Your foot may get higher in the air, but the first time you connect even a bit, you land on your @ss. Some times you end up there even without contacting anything because you've thrown off your natural balance.:eek:

That is another personal preference thing. I have seen MT teachers teach not to be on the ball of the foot. when you throw the thai roundhouse, you are supposed to step out at an angle anyway. if when you step your foot is already turned properly, there is no need to pivot on it.

Becca
06-28-2007, 09:37 AM
But if you are stepping into the proper position, you are not piviting your foot, but rather moving it...

What you do once your pivit is complete is usually a stylistic preference. But simple physics says that it is easier to pivit on the ball of the foot than the flat foot.:)

boshea
06-28-2007, 10:18 AM
That is another personal preference thing. I have seen MT teachers teach not to be on the ball of the foot. when you throw the thai roundhouse, you are supposed to step out at an angle anyway. if when you step your foot is already turned properly, there is no need to pivot on it.

Yea, I've had a few trainers teach pretty different versions of the same techniques.

The explanation for standing on the ball of the foot is that, even after you have stepped out, your foot is only at about a 45 degree angle. Pivoting on the foot makes it easier to rotate the hip of the kicking leg just before the kick connects. Some of my trainers really exaggerate this pivoting motion when demonstrating it, to make sure that it really gets drilled in to our heads. But when I watch them actually use the kick in an application, they tend not to pivot as much. Stepping out at 45 degrees might be sufficient for some folks to get that hip to rotate, but my hips are not the most flexible so I really like to pivot on that supporting foot to help out the hip rotation as much as possible.

-brian

sanjuro_ronin
06-28-2007, 10:21 AM
How do you "roll" your hip over without the pivot of your support foot ?

boshea
06-28-2007, 10:45 AM
How do you "roll" your hip over without the pivot of your support foot ?

I have to pivot on the ball of my supporting foot every time in order to get the kick right. Some people have more hip flexibility, and I think they must also step out with their foot at more than a 45 degree angle to start with. My trainers say to pivot every time. I also feel that starting out square and pivoting gets some momentum for the kick, as opposed to starting out at the correct angle. Maybe SevenStar can elaborate since he has had a trainer tell him not to pivot on the ball of the supporting foot.

(BTW, who was that question addressed to?)

-brian

sanjuro_ronin
06-28-2007, 10:47 AM
I have to pivot on the ball of my supporting foot every time in order to get the kick right. Some people have more hip flexibility, and I think they must also step out with their foot at more than a 45 degree angle to start with. My trainers say to pivot every time. I also feel that starting out square and pivoting gets some momentum for the kick, as opposed to starting out at the correct angle. Maybe SevenStar can elaborate since he has had a trainer tell him not to pivot on the ball of the supporting foot.

-brian

To anyone that can show me how they roll their hips into a kick without pivoting on the support foot.

SevenStar
06-28-2007, 11:40 AM
But if you are stepping into the proper position, you are not piviting your foot, but rather moving it...

What you do once your pivit is complete is usually a stylistic preference. But simple physics says that it is easier to pivit on the ball of the foot than the flat foot.:)

I didn't comment on whether it was easier or harder - that is beside the point. the point is that the pivot is not necessary. you always step with a thai kick. The reason is that a common counter to that kick is a straight right. if you are stepping offline as you kick, there is a greater chance that the kick will miss. consequently, you are taught to step and kick. Even though different teachers have told me to pivot or not pivot, all of them have advocated the initial step.

Iron_Eagle_76
06-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Watch the following video. It should clear up some of this debate about pivoting the feet.

www.evtv1.com/?itemnum=558 - 80k

Enjoy!!!

SevenStar
06-28-2007, 11:57 AM
To anyone that can show me how they roll their hips into a kick without pivoting on the support foot.

it depends on the angle of the foot as you step step out with it. problem is, I can forsee knee injury when it is done this way. less pivot = more stress on the knee when you turn the hip.

SevenStar
06-28-2007, 12:07 PM
I am trying to find a clip of a no pivot step. Here is discussion on it on bullshido:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/sitemap/index.php/t-30078-p-4.html

several of them were taught not to pivot also. It is also mentioned in there that bas rutten and cro cop are propoents of not pivoting. I was taught that by a dutch guy, so it kinda falls in line.

EDIT: skimming over it, that is actually a decent thread - they talk about the cross being a common counter, about the arm swing and foot placement. I'm not registered on the site, so I can't see the vids and pics, but the discussion itself is good.

Becca
06-28-2007, 12:13 PM
... Maybe SevenStar can elaborate since he has had a trainer tell him not to pivot on the ball of the supporting foot.

-brian
He didn't say he doesn't TURN into the kick. He just steps into it rather than piviting into it. Both very good techniques. As has been stated, the difference is in preference, either personal or stylistic. I step into them if I need to close the gap and pivit if I'm already nice and close.

But I do pivit on the ball of my foot for most kicks that require it. The sole exception being a wheel kick. With that one you always, always, always pivit on he heal, no steping into it.

Becca
06-28-2007, 12:16 PM
... the point is that the pivot is not necessary. you always step with a thai kick...
Your point was that it is not nesissary. I agree.

My comment was spacifically that piviting on he ball of the foot beets trying to pivit on a flat foot. And that rising up to pivit is not the same thing as trying to kick tippy-toed.

sanjuro_ronin
06-28-2007, 12:17 PM
I am trying to find a clip of a no pivot step. Here is discussion on it on bullshido:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/sitemap/index.php/t-30078-p-4.html

several of them were taught not to pivot also. It is also mentioned in there that bas rutten and cro cop are propoents of not pivoting. I was taught that by a dutch guy, so it kinda falls in line.

EDIT: skimming over it, that is actually a decent thread - they talk about the cross being a common counter, about the arm swing and foot placement. I'm not registered on the site, so I can't see the vids and pics, but the discussion itself is good.

The uselessness of BS aside, yes Bas does advocate the same thing and a few others too, yet the pivot is always there. no matter how slight, or you get a Shotokan Mawashi-geri and who wants that !!>!?!?!?!?!?

SevenStar
06-28-2007, 12:17 PM
here is one on martial arts planet:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?referrerid=17337&t=66840

sanjuro_ronin
06-28-2007, 12:20 PM
here is one on martial arts planet:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?referrerid=17337&t=66840

No need, I know what you are refering too, seen Bas do it in person and in his Big DVD of Combat.
Not my personal fav whay of doing it, but I was taught the round house from ITF and learned the MT round from Chai and one of his student.

SevenStar
06-28-2007, 12:21 PM
The uselessness of BS aside, yes Bas does advocate the same thing and a few others too, yet the pivot is always there. no matter how slight, or you get a Shotokan Mawashi-geri and who wants that !!>!?!?!?!?!?

I am not opposed to the mawashi geri, actually. One of the hardest roundhouse kicks I have felt was from a little japanese guy from kumamoto.

And actually, since we are kinda on that topic now, I have seen thai boxers advocate chambering as well.

sanjuro_ronin
06-28-2007, 12:25 PM
I am not opposed to the mawashi geri, actually. One of the hardest roundhouse kicks I have felt was from a little japanese guy from kumamoto.

And actually, since we are kinda on that topic now, I have seen thai boxers advocate chambering as well.

I am kyokushin, we do a chambered round (thai) kick, so....

boshea
06-28-2007, 12:28 PM
you always step with a thai kick. The reason is that a common counter to that kick is a straight right. if you are stepping offline as you kick, there is a greater chance that the kick will miss. consequently, you are taught to step and kick. Even though different teachers have told me to pivot or not pivot, all of them have advocated the initial step.

I'm assuming you mean that by stepping out for the kick, "there is a greater chance that the straight right punch will miss" (i.e. not the kick). This is what we are taught also. When training the leg kick with the aforementioned suitcase pad, we usually simulate this by having the person holding the pad pretend to throw a right while the other kicks, to make sure that they step outside far enough.

boshea
06-28-2007, 12:37 PM
He didn't say he doesn't TURN into the kick. He just steps into it rather than piviting into it. Both very good techniques. As has been stated, the difference is in preference, either personal or stylistic. I step into them if I need to close the gap and pivit if I'm already nice and close.

Agreed, I followed what SevenStar said when he described that, thanks. In Northern Shaolin we were always told to turn the foot out prior to the kick, so that it would be positioned correctly and so that the supporting foot would be rooted to the ground (with the heel planted firmly on the ground). That's why it took me so long to get used to pivoting on the ball of my foot in Muay Thai. Now that I'm used to it, I find that it works much better for my particular body mechanics.

SevenStar
06-28-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm assuming you mean that by stepping out for the kick, "there is a greater chance that the straight right punch will miss" (i.e. not the kick). This is what we are taught also. When training the leg kick with the aforementioned suitcase pad, we usually simulate this by having the person holding the pad pretend to throw a right while the other kicks, to make sure that they step outside far enough.

oops...

sanjuro_ronin
06-29-2007, 05:25 AM
Just went over the Bas rutten dvd and some other one's I have in regards to the round kick "without" the pivot.
I put without in quotations because they ALL pivot ( some more than others), the difference is wither the pivot as the kick or as the step to the angle.

Lets say we have our left foot forward and will round kick with out right leg, typically you will either pivot on the left foot ( typically the ball of the foot) or you will step to the side on an angle and turn the support foot while stepping ( still a "pivot").

If your toes (supporting leg) are pointing towards your opponent, unless after the kick they STILL are pointing that way, you have "pivoted".

Wither you do it on the ball of your foot or in the "air" as you step, it still gets turned away from your target.

Mr Punch
06-29-2007, 05:36 AM
Freak accidents happen, no way to prepare for them.

Not really applicable to this thread though...I disagree. The thread was originally debating the sense of throwing shin kicks over other roundhouse kicks due to their likelihood to break the throwers' legs.

My point was just that these are mostly freak accidents, and so it is not a reflection on shin kicking. However, the chance of this kind of freak accident occurring will be increased by bad training practice in throwing this (or many other kinds of kicks) in training. This woman is a pro-fighter and had obviously thrown thousands of kicks, yet her leg was obviously weakened in some way (if you watch the vid, she doesn't take that much stress in the fall) - quite probably a hairline fracture.

I commented that this may be a common problem earlier, which nobody commented further on, instead turning the discussion to the right way to throw these kicks - which is of course valid and useful.

Whatever... I don't believe I just typed all that **** to justify one post in passing!

Back to your discussion then, chaps... :rolleyes:

sanjuro_ronin
06-29-2007, 05:43 AM
I disagree. The thread was originally debating the sense of throwing shin kicks over other roundhouse kicks due to their likelihood to break the throwers' legs.

My point was just that these are mostly freak accidents, and so it is not a reflection on shin kicking. However, the chance of this kind of freak accident occurring will be increased by bad training practice in throwing this (or many other kinds of kicks) in training. This woman is a pro-fighter and had obviously thrown thousands of kicks, yet her leg was obviously weakened in some way (if you watch the vid, she doesn't take that much stress in the fall) - quite probably a hairline fracture.

I commented that this may be a common problem earlier, which nobody commented further on, instead turning the discussion to the right way to throw these kicks - which is of course valid and useful.

Whatever... I don't believe I just typed all that **** to justify one post in passing!

Back to your discussion then, chaps... :rolleyes:

I think her leg break came from "shear" stress factors, not impact.

Bone conditioning is a "mix bag", it really hard to tell if you are conditoning the bone or desensitizing it.
I would assume that there is some increase in density of the shin bone when its conditioned properly, problem is, that doesn't change the "weak spot" of the shin bone structure.

MasterKiller
12-11-2008, 07:48 AM
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/7762-CoryHill.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
12-11-2008, 07:52 AM
That's gonna leave a mark !

solidtux
12-11-2008, 09:24 AM
It hurts just looking at it...

Anyway, I'm new to kung fu and something like that scares the crap out of me. It there a stronger part of your leg to deliver a kick with so that you don't break it when you kick someone with strong shins?

sanjuro_ronin
12-11-2008, 09:30 AM
It hurts just looking at it...

Anyway, I'm new to kung fu and something like that scares the crap out of me. It there a stronger part of your leg to deliver a kick with so that you don't break it when you kick someone with strong shins?

Typically, you wanna kick IN at a 90 deg or DOWN, never up, the reason being that kicking up makes you hit with the flat of the shin and not the edge and the blocker will be blocking with the edge.
You wanna turn your body over and slightly down when you low kick to make sure your kick/shin comes over and down.
Keeping your body upright makes it harder to turn over your shin and you end up hitting with the flat.

冠木侍
12-11-2008, 09:32 AM
That's disturbing.

Shoot. I missed that match last night. It must have been in the beginning.

If I didn't see footage of the fight though, I would have thought that that photo was 'shopped' as I never imagined a shin twisting in such a way.

solidtux
12-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Typically, you wanna kick IN at a 90 deg or DOWN, never up, the reason being that kicking up makes you hit with the flat of the shin and not the edge and the blocker will be blocking with the edge.
You wanna turn your body over and slightly down when you low kick to make sure your kick/shin comes over and down.
Keeping your body upright makes it harder to turn over your shin and you end up hitting with the flat.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. :)

sanjuro_ronin
12-11-2008, 09:35 AM
That's disturbing.

Shoot. I missed that match last night. It must have been in the beginning.

If I didn't see footage of the fight though, I would have thought that that photo was 'shopped' as I never imagined a shin twisting in such a way.

There's been a few of those actually.

MasterKiller
12-11-2008, 09:45 AM
There's been a few of those actually.

http://i27.tinypic.com/svgyzk.jpg

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/57/56959.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=888JHYfoHfA

sanjuro_ronin
12-11-2008, 09:46 AM
http://i27.tinypic.com/svgyzk.jpg

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/57/56959.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=888JHYfoHfA

I recall the first one ever posted, when the guy went to put his foot down and his leg turned to noodle.
It was a tad disturbing.
Which was the last of your links.

冠木侍
12-11-2008, 10:01 AM
You can watch Hill's match for free Here (http://www.ufc.com/)

He was definitely dominating before it happened.

PS...

I've no doubt it happens. I've never seen it really happen like that before. I'll save the links for later.

Three Harmonies
12-11-2008, 10:12 AM
There are times when you want to kick up, but it is usually to the body, not to the leg. He did not turn his hips enough from the looks of it. But **** happens. It is a fight afterall. Props to him for stepping up (no pun.... well... it was sorta meant:o)

Jake

taai gihk yahn
12-11-2008, 03:07 PM
somewhere an orthopedic surgeon just went out and made a down payment on a new Jaguar...

he better get used to seeing this (http://www0.sun.ac.za/ortho/webct-ortho/general/exfix/uniplanar_exfix-tibia.jpg) when he wakes up in the morning...and rehab can be a biotch; I hope he comes back from it, that sort of injury can be a real career ender...

GeneChing
12-12-2008, 11:14 AM
But once on the web, always on the web (http://www.kroqfs.com/kbimages/cory_hill_web.jpg). ;)

I'm moving this to the MMA forum.

TenTigers
12-14-2008, 05:37 PM
It's bloody disgusting, that's what it is.
geez, it's enough to put you off yer food!

I am soooo glad I'm a wuss. I am never doing that.
oh, I mean, because I'm 51. Yeah, that's it.
Otherwise, sure. I'd go into the ring with any one of these guys.
I'm a pretty good fighter...I bet.
But you young'uns go right ahead. I'm with ya.

冠木侍
12-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Here is the VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVX_cO7CQWQ)

They took it off the main website apparently.

MasterKiller
04-16-2010, 06:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_khBvb3fcI&feature=player_embedded

sanjuro_ronin
04-16-2010, 06:36 AM
Luckly it was only sparring and not a real fight :D

Still, while the responsibility to tap is on the guy locked up, in sparring the "locker" also has to know WTF he is doing.
That was needless.

MasterKiller
04-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Luckly it was only sparring and not a real fight :D

Still, while the responsibility to tap is on the guy locked up, in sparring the "locker" also has to know WTF he is doing.
That was needless.

Well, I guess the guy on top was a brown belt, and the guy on bottom was blue. Brown belt definitely should have known better and tapped.

sanjuro_ronin
04-16-2010, 06:58 AM
Well, I guess the guy on top was a brown belt, and the guy on bottom was blue. Brown belt definitely should have known better and tapped.

Indeed !
I am sure next time his ego won't get the best of him.

Frost
04-16-2010, 02:38 PM
was it a comp or class sparring, if it was a comp its his own fault if its just club sparring they are both to blame

goju
04-16-2010, 10:00 PM
thats the only scary thing about grappling i remember my former coach told me of a story of a guy who grappled with an over aggresive partner with an ego and he ended up getting his leg severely damaged in sparring from a leg sub

couldnt fight anymore, lost his job and nearly lost his wife as well:eek:

Frost
04-17-2010, 02:20 AM
thats the only scary thing about grappling i remember my former coach told me of a story of a guy who grappled with an over aggresive partner with an ego and he ended up getting his leg severely damaged in sparring from a leg sub

couldnt fight anymore, lost his job and nearly lost his wife as well:eek:

that’s why you find a good school and make sure everyone agrees to the same rules before sparring....I come from a gym that is well known for its grappling it wins at every tournament it enters, pros train there etc and the only injuries I have seen in about 7 years from grappling apart from sprains and a few broken fingers are from a people not tapping from chokes and going asleep, the injury rate is stupidly small because of some basic rules:

1) On the mat in sparring you are responsible for your partner’s safety, if he’s not tapping move to another move
2) We tell all the new guys to tap, its better to tapand learn than get injured and not train for weeks
3) Apply pressure slowly and evenly and let go completely when he taps
4) Only straight leg locks are allowed in sparring and only with experienced people, twisting legs locks are trained but only with someone you trust and never really put on tightly (more injuries come from leg locks than anything else)
5) If a new guy or a visitor is going to heavy they are fed to one of us that has competed nd doesn’t mind showing someone what happens if they don’t behave

Three Harmonies
04-17-2010, 07:28 AM
It was a competition guys, and many think compression locks are only pain compliant. Homie found out the hard way!

JAB

SAAMAG
04-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Looked to me like there was no pain and that he was searching for an escape but the forearm just snapped due to pressure. It was a surprise to both of them. Didn't even break at a joint so they were both like "wtf"!?

Kinda like the MT guys breaking the shin when getting checked or the checking guy breaking his own shin.

I blame it on a lack of drinking milk.

goju
04-17-2010, 02:46 PM
that’s why you find a good school and make sure everyone agrees to the same rules before sparring....I come from a gym that is well known for its grappling it wins at every tournament it enters, pros train there etc and the only injuries I have seen in about 7 years from grappling apart from sprains and a few broken fingers are from a people not tapping from chokes and going asleep, the injury rate is stupidly small because of some basic rules:

1) On the mat in sparring you are responsible for your partner’s safety, if he’s not tapping move to another move
2) We tell all the new guys to tap, its better to tapand learn than get injured and not train for weeks
3) Apply pressure slowly and evenly and let go completely when he taps
4) Only straight leg locks are allowed in sparring and only with experienced people, twisting legs locks are trained but only with someone you trust and never really put on tightly (more injuries come from leg locks than anything else)
5) If a new guy or a visitor is going to heavy they are fed to one of us that has competed nd doesn’t mind showing someone what happens if they don’t behave

i agree compeletly its amazing that such incredibly severe injuries happen simply due to ego or stupidty rather i dotn see why you woudl be willing to sacrifice your limbs to save face

Knifefighter
04-17-2010, 07:50 PM

I doubt he was a brown belt. The counter is pretty simple and he should have known it if he was brown belt level.

BTW, it was a competition... in competition, it is tap or snap.

SAAMAG
04-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Dale what exactly was going on there? It looks like the top guy just moved to a side control and the bottom guy got the forearm in some sort of triangle?

I can't tell from the video how the arm is controled...

Three Harmonies
04-18-2010, 08:09 AM
It is a bicep lock / slice. Puts pressure on the joint separating the hinge joint, but sometimes if the shin is on the forearm more it can actually snap the radius or ulna. Didn't it happen to Tim Silvia years back?? **** poor memory, sorry.
JAB

Frost
04-18-2010, 08:14 AM
It is a bicep lock / slice. Puts pressure on the joint separating the hinge joint, but sometimes if the shin is on the forearm more it can actually snap the radius or ulna. Didn't it happen to Tim Silvia years back?? **** poor memory, sorry.
JAB

i have heard this happening before but its a freak thing thats true

submissionfc
04-20-2010, 12:19 AM
That was a nice submission.

But it was unfortunate one had to get injured from it.

In all great move!

GeneChing
04-30-2014, 03:46 PM
I am cannibalizing this thread for leg breaks.

Video: Tyrone Spong suffers brutal leg break in GLORY 15 tourney final (http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/video-tyrone-spong-suffers-brutal-leg-break-in-glory-15-tourney-final)
By MMAjunkie Staff April 13, 2014 9:15 am

http://usatmmajunkie.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/tyrone-spong-glory-15-leg-break.jpg?w=1000

Tyrone Spong‘s night ended early on Saturday in a vicious near-carbon copy of Anderson Silva’s broken leg this past December.

In a kickboxing rematch against Gokhan Saki at GLORY 15 in Istanbul, Spong threw a kick to Saki’s left leg. Saki checked the kick, and Spong’s lower right leg broke immediately and he fell to the canvas.

The injury happened a little more than 90 seconds into their light heavyweight tournament final. Even before the referee could officially wave the fight off, Saki was over to the fallen Spong to comfort him.

There was no immediate word on just what kind of recovery time Spong might be looking at. But almost certainly, his near future for World Series of Fighting will be put on hold. In MMA, Spong is 2-0 and was expected to return in July at WSOF 11.

http://usatmmajunkie.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/tyrone-spong-glory-15-leg-break-2.jpg?w=300&h=196

At GLORY 15, Spong had a hard-fought battle against Saulo Cavalari in the tournament semifinals, but took a unanimous decision to reach the final against Saki, the home favorite. The two first met in 2009, a fight won by Saki with a knockout in the fourth round in Japan.

The TKO loss for Spong, who trains in South Florida with the Blackzilians team, was his first kickboxing setback since a decision loss to Alistair Overeem at the K-1 World Grand Prix in 2010.

It also came at a tough time for the Dutch fighter, personally. He has been coping with the recent murders of a former coach and an uncle. But Spong told MMAjunkie earlier this month he had no plans to cancel his spot in the tournament.

Check out the video below showing Spong’s leg break from the vantage point of a fan in Istanbul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqajnL-pT-w

Firehawk4
04-30-2014, 10:41 PM
It is good to have thick muscular legs when you are kicking with the shin bone . my legs are thin so i dont use the shine bone kick no way .

xinyidizi
05-02-2014, 06:29 AM
It is good to have thick muscular legs when you are kicking with the shin bone . my legs are thin so i dont use the shine bone kick no way .

It's not gonna help you because no one has any muscles where these people break their legs. However it's good if your opponent has a muscular leg.

GeneChing
09-16-2014, 05:50 PM
I just changed the title of this thread from "Nasty leg break from last night's fights" to "Hardcore bone breaks in MMA matches". Hope you don't mind, MK.

Sunday, 09/14/2014, 10:40 am
Fighter’s Arm Shatters After Devastating Body Kick (http://www.bjpenn.com/gif-fighters-arm-shatters-after-devastating-body-kick/)

In this .GIF we see Sidemar Honorio kicking Matt Lozano in the body so hard that Lozano’s forearm shatters. This brutal kick took place at World Series of Fighting this past weekend.

http://giant.gfycat.com/SadBlondFrogmouth.gif

Ouch!

Firehawk4
09-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Thats a nasty arm bone break . Dont they tell these guys in mixed martial arts to support there arm when being kicked by the shinbone roundkick or try and get out of the way ? Will we see more of these kind of breaks with legs and arms what about the elbow or the knee have any of them been broke yet ? Man im glad im a 45 year middle aged man and cant do nothing in martial arts anymore except with a staff or knife .

GeneChing
11-26-2014, 05:19 PM
An ear explosion. That's one ripe cauliflower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAITtZ9_O_s

GeneChing
11-02-2015, 12:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdFqVUh-Goo

Halloween 2015 at CES 31

GeneChing
04-18-2017, 09:03 AM
I had a hard time getting this vid to load. You'll have to follow the link to see if you can load it.

MMA fighter gets his arm broken when he refuses to tap out (http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/04/18/17/57/mma-fighters-gets-his-arm-broken-when-he-refuses-to-tap-out)
By WWOS staff
8 hours ago

There was nothing amateur about this incident in the USA, which saw an MMA fighter walk away from a grapple with a broken arm after he failed to tap
’Snap’ – the sound an MMA fighter never wants to hear NOW

If you have a weak stomach approach with caution.

This video shows just how brutal mixed martial arts can be.

Two fighters grapple on the floor during a lower tier MMA bout and one of the fighters just doesn’t know when the right time is to tap out.

As their tangled bodies fight for the upper hand, one of the fighters gets himself into a dangerous lock with his arm hanging out waiting to get manipulated.

As they wrestle, the fighter in a more dominant position starts to pick apart his opponent, pulling on his arm to try and get leverage.

But instead of tapping out, the other guy decides to keep fighting despite being in a weaker position.

Usually when an MMA fighter finds himself in this situation, the logical move is to submit to avoid serious injury.

However, the dude with his arm out tries to fight on and gets it broken in the process.

The sound alone is enough to make you squeal.

GeneChing
06-27-2018, 08:21 AM
It wasn't a bone 'break'.

Yes, that's a pun, a very bad pun. I am ashamed. :o

MMA fighter feared he had a 'broken' ***** after taking illegal kick to the groin (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/ny-sports-mma-broken-*****-thiago-tavares-20180625-story.html)
By ARI GILBERG
JUN 25, 2018 | 7:30 PM

Now that’s nuts!

An MMA fighter was taken to the hospital and needed his testicles examined after suffering an illegal kick to the groin during a fight.

Thiago Tavares was the victim of a low blow during his fight against Robert Watley at PFL 2 on Thursday. The kick was so brutal that the impact of Watley’s shin to Tavares’ cup resulted in a loud thumping sound being picked up by the cage-side microphones.

”I thought ‘My God, I’ll look at my ***** and it will be broken or something like that. Something happened,’” Tavares told MMA Fighting. “It was scary. ...I tried to stand back up but I felt so much pain I sat down again and the doctor stopped it.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/resizer/Apwnah9_V55-p2dSsjknrRYAlHk=/1400x0/www.trbimg.com/img-5b317a50/turbine/ny-1529969228-j02e89u7im-snap-image
Thiago Tavares holds his grown after suffering a gruesome low blow. (PFL2 / PFL MMA Live)

Tavares, who fought in the UFC for nearly 10 years, was rushed to the hospital and told MMA Fighting doctors initially suspected he may have suffered a testicle rupture.

He was later deemed fine after a few hours.

Following the gruesome blow — which can be viewed at the 1:13:58 mark (https://www.facebook.com/PFLmmaLive/videos/2066054710088709/)— Tavares was given five minutes to recover, but was unable to continue. The situation would normally result in the fight being ruled a no-contest under the United Rules of MMA. However, the Illinois State Athlete Commission has a different set of rules and, as a result, Watley was awarded a TKO win.

Tavares (21-8-1) disagrees with the result and told MMA Fighting he plans to appeal the decision.

”And they still rule it a TKO due to accidental low blow, man,” Tavares told MMA Fighting. “How can someone knock someone out with an illegal kick? And they still write it down in the result? It’s like a World Cup referee validating a goal with a hand and write it down that the player used his left hand. It makes no sense. If he thought he scored the goal with his head, okay, it’s only one mistake. A grotesque mistake, but only one, like giving this guy a TKO win. But they went ahead and actually made it official that the method was an accidental low blow.”

GeneChing
02-18-2019, 08:55 AM
I'm splitting a thread for Nasty Groin Shots in MMA (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71210-Nasty-Groin-Shots-in-MMA) from our Hardcore bone breaks in MMA (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52722-Hardcore-bone-breaks-in-MMA-matches) matches.

Report: Sergei Kharitonov has a hemorrhoid as a result of Matt Mitrione groin kick at Bellator 215 (https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/2/16/18227660/report-sergei-kharitonov-hemorrhoid-result-matt-mitrione-groin-kick-bellator-215-mma-news)
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/wzUQyybYrJ7O2LL-P9lU7Xj4m-o=/0x0:3850x2567/920x613/filters:focal(1617x976:2233x1592):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/63064440/p.0.jpeg
By Mookie Alexander
@mookiealexander Feb 16, 2019, 3:41pm EST

It was an unfortunate end to the Bellator 215 main event on Friday night, as Sergei Kharitonov took a brutal kick to the groin from Matt Mitrione, and he was rendered unable to continue just 15 seconds into the fight.

Kharitonov, who was writhing in pain the moment he hit the canvas, was taken out of the cage on a stretcher and transported to a hospital. The latest update is that he was indeed in enough pain that he had to go back into the hospital Saturday morning, per ESPN’s Ariel Helwani.

“Sergei Kharitonov was discharged from a local Connecticut hospital last night after getting kicked in the groin by Matt Mitrione, which resulted in a no contest, sources told ESPN,” Helwani reported. “However, he experienced more pain and discomfort this morning and was re-admitted to the hospital.”

“After another round of tests, the doctors determined he did not suffer from any internal bleeding. According to Bellator sources, he does have a hemorrhoid as a result of the kick and has been given topical and pain medication by doctors.”

Kharitonov has since been discharged again.

The accidental kick resulted in a no contest, officially the fastest NC in Bellator MMA history. Mitrione was apologetic in the aftermath, even offering up an immediate rematch against the Russian.

“I cannot begin to explain how sorry I am for everybody that paid to come to the fight to watch that fight between Sergei and I,” Mitrione said (via MMAjunkie). It would’ve been really dope – it would’ve been a great fight. Obviously, it was not intentional – the worst possible situation.

“… Sergei: I’m genuinely sorry. I’m apologetic as I could possibly be.”

“If Sergei is down to go, if he can do it, if his body’s good – hopefully he didn’t rupture a (testicle) – but if he can do it again, then obviously I’m 100 percent down,” Mitrione said. “He’s the only person I really want to fight in this situation because everybody, I think, deserves that. It would’ve been a great fight and a lot of fun. It just sucks, man.”

Oh yes, and you’ll never believe who one of Mitrione’s sponsors is. Ball Wash.

GeneChing
02-04-2020, 10:01 AM
JUST GIVE UP! Pat Sabatini has arm broken in MMA title fight and CM Punk has to tell crowd to stop booing winner James Gonzalez (https://talksport.com/sport/mma/664552/pat-sabatini-arm-broken-mma-fight-cm-punk-james-gonzalez/)
GRAPHIC WARNING
By Alex McCarthy
3rd February 2020, 3:05 pm
MMA star Pat Sabatini may have earned a lot of respect at the weekend, but he lost his Cage Fury Fighting Championship featherweight title and had his arm broken.

Sabatini suffered a gruesome broken arm as he refused to tap out against James Gonzalez just 46 seconds into the first round of their contest.

https://talksport.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2020/02/NINTCHDBPICT000559773415.jpg?strip=all&w=645&quality=100
UFC FIGHT PASS
Pat Sabatini had his arm broken by James Gonzalez in a title fight

The bout, for which former WWE superstar and UFC fighter CM Punk was ring announcing, was only made six days ago as Gonzalez stepped in.

Sabatini was locked in an armbar, but he refused to tap. It took Gonzalez releasing the hold and alerting the referee to the injury to stop the fight.

Obviously, that is the highest level of toughness one can imagine, but it didn’t stop Gonzalez walking out as the champion and the crowd roundly booing him.

In fact, Punk stepped in and asked the crowd to stop booing the new champion.

Speaking after the encounter, Gonzalez said: “First I would like say, I wish that didn’t happen. I wish he could have tapped and saved his arm from breaking like that.

https://talksport.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2020/02/NINTCHDBPICT000559773413.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100
UFC FIGHT PASS
You can see Pat Sabatini’s arm bending in ways that it shouldn’t

UFC FIGHT PASS

@UFCFightPass (https://twitter.com/UFCFightPass/status/1223808016614596608?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1223808016614596608&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftalksport.com%2Fsport%2Fmma% 2F664552%2Fpat-sabatini-arm-broken-mma-fight-cm-punk-james-gonzalez%2F)
Yikes. #CFFC81

Embedded video
7:19 PM - Feb 1, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
1,023 people are talking about this
“I respect Pat Sabatini, he’s been on the circuit with me since I started and I always thought I was going to fight him sooner but we fought tonight and this is what happened.

“I wish him a speedy recovery and that’s all I got to say about that. I’ve been trying to get fights as much as possible.

“It’s really hard to find guys who want to fight me, in either weight class, and I guess you guys saw why.”

THREADS
Standing arm breaks... (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?44495-Standing-arm-breaks) Slightly OT because it's the victim that's standing.
Hardcore bone breaks in MMA matches (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52722-Hardcore-bone-breaks-in-MMA-matches)
CM Punk (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69298-CM-Punk)

GeneChing
02-14-2020, 12:09 PM
Russian Fighter Breaks His Neck And Is Left Paralyzed After Flying Armbar Goes Horribly Wrong (http://cavemancircus.com/2020/02/11/guy-breaks-neck-flying-armbar/?fbclid=IwAR0KYEbZnMITuT91L5KUgdsnZnUs0flbZr2i1XfP sCJEteB6rI9KZth0nwI)
February 11, 2020

http://cavemancircus.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Untitled-1-12.jpg

Payzutdin Aliyev, 26, is heard in the video yelling in excruciating pain after landing hard on his head.

Aliyev was rushed to hospital from the Tinkoff Arena in St Petersburg, Russia, where he had been taking part in the Universal Fighters Open Cup

He was diagnosed with “a brain contusion, a closed craniocerebral trauma and a fracture of the cervical vertebrae with damage to the spinal cord”, said a Russian report.

The fighter’s arms and legs are paralysed as a result of the wounds, it has been claimed.

http://cavemancircus.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/guy_breaks_neck_flying_armbar_2.jpg

https://vimeo.com/391317126

flying_armbar_gone_wrong (https://vimeo.com/391317126)

What a brutal fall. I can hardly watch that vid. :(

GeneChing
04-02-2021, 10:44 AM
Former Olympic wrestler Khetag Pliev loses finger during MMA fight (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/apr/01/mma-fighter-lost-finger-ufc-khetag-pliev?CMP=oth_b-aplnews_d-1)
Middleweight’s left ring finger was torn off mid-fight
Pliev, 37, represented Canada at the 2012 Olympics
Injury occurred during co-main event of CFFC 94
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/aa2832efcc974c02c2454a6a7f91352144e0f2a4/0_201_4212_2528/master/4212.jpg
Khetag Pliev placed 10th in the 96kg weight class at the London Olympics. Photograph: Steve Russell/Toronto Star/Getty Images
Guardian sport
Thu 1 Apr 2021 23.53 EDT

Khetag Pliev, the former Olympic freestyle wrestler turned professional MMA fighter, lost a finger during a Cage Fury Fighting Championships fight on Thursday night at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia.

Pliev, a four-time national wrestling champion known as ‘The Terminator’ who represented Canada at the 2012 London Olympics, suffered the gruesome injury during the first or second round of a middleweight bout with Devin Goodale in the co-main event of CFFC 94, which was broadcast live on the UFC’s Fight Pass streaming service.

Goodale was declared the winner by second-round technical knockout after referee David Osaghae discovered between rounds that Pliev’s left ring finger was no longer attached to his hand.

The official method of victory according to Sherdog.com was ‘Detached Finger’.

“They just made a PA announcement at #CFFC94 that they are trying to locate a fighter’s missing finger,” TSN’s Aaron Bronsteter tweeted. “It evidently fell off into his glove during the bout and is missing somewhere in the venue.”

https://media.guim.co.uk/fe98874d86eb6b85a80fdaed571970ddf76460f3/0_2_1699_1019/1000.jpg

Goodale failed to add any clarity to the bizarre situation during a post-fight interview.

“I can’t remember anything, I don’t know,” said Goodale, who improved to a perfect four wins from four as a professional. “I got hit by something big, I don’t remember what happened. I’m just being honest. I don’t remember what happened. I’ll have to watch the tape myself, I don’t remember anything.”

CM Punk, the former WWE star and UFC welterweight who was working as a color commentator for Thursday’s broadcast, was equally mystified in the immediate aftermath.

“I don’t understand exactly what happened,” Punk said. “We’re not going to replay it for you, ladies and gentlemen, but it wasn’t a compound fracture. It wasn’t a dislocation, a break, a laceration. His finger was just gone. It’s gone. It fell off, ripped off.”

Later Thursday, ESPN confirmed Pliev’s finger was recovered and re-attached by surgeons at a nearby hospital. CFFC president Rob Haydak said the detached digit had been lodged in Pliev’s glove.

The 37-year-old Pliev, who placed 10th in the 96kg weight class at the London Games, fell to 5-2 in mixed martial arts after Thursday’s bout, which was contracted at a catchweight of 180lbs, five pounds below the middleweight division limit.

He also fought six times as a professional boxer in the cruiserweight division from 2017 through 2019, compiling a record of five wins and one loss.

threads
Hardcore-bone-breaks-in-MMA-matches (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52722-Hardcore-bone-breaks-in-MMA-matches)
CM-Punk (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69298-CM-Punk)
Olympic-MMA (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?66545-Olympic-MMA)

GeneChing
04-25-2021, 10:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k11H6KIJA4

GeneChing
07-11-2021, 03:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec78Vsa0nes

threads
Hardcore-bone-breaks-in-MMA-matches (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52722-Hardcore-bone-breaks-in-MMA-matches)
Conor-McGregor-Notorious (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70522-Conor-McGregor-Notorious)

GeneChing
09-05-2023, 09:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez4Ei7-jTkM

GeneChing
03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
The nose isn't quite a bone but this still counts.

MUAY THAI FIGHTER SCHNOZZ GETS JACKED UP IN FIGHT (https://www.tmz.com/2024/03/25/muay-thai-fighter-suffers-gruesome-broken-nose-during-fight/)
3/25/2024 7:33 AM PT

https://imagez.tmz.com/image/fd/4by3/2024/03/25/fdb872c2ca1d4e8381238bf6e84c7b77_md.jpg
Quite possibly one of the grossest injuries in combat sports history went down over the weekend ... when a Muay Thai fighter had his nose completely wrecked during a bout -- and yeah, the video is disgusting.

The gruesome incident went down between Por Tor Thor Petchrungruang and Shayan Heydari in Thailand ... when the latter was rocked with a vicious uppercut in the second round of the contest.

Heydari's nose practically went sideways ... and it was immediately clear the thing was broken.

Heydari fell to his knees and covered his face as a result of the ailment ... and the fight was called off, with Petchrungruang getting the victory via TKO.

There have been a ton of nasty injuries in fighting -- former UFC champ Glover Teixeira's face getting beat up against Jamahal Hill in Jan. 2023 comes to mind -- but this one is way worse.

https://imagez.tmz.com/image/2a/4by3/2024/03/25/2a45f0a265c347479fa0a91e29e24dd4_md.jpg
Heydari will certainly go under the knife to fix his rearranged face ... so he'll probably be out for a bit as he heals up.

Just another example of fighters being built different.