PDA

View Full Version : gran tarino

doug maverick
12-14-2008, 12:21 PM
clint eastwood put out two great films this year, the angelina jolie film changling and this one gran tarino. in the movie eastwood plays Disgruntled Korean War vet Walt Kowalski who sets out to reform his neighbor, a young Hmong teenager, who tried to steal Kowalski's prized possession: his 1972 Gran Torino, the film was interesting as it explores the matter of race and understanding something that's so prevalent in American society. the movie has its good point and bad points, good points, clint eastwood, a vigilante death wish style character, some good feel comedy moments, well structured script and directing. bad point, horrible acting by the hmong "actors" i put actors in quotes cause it was obvious that they were just regualr people in the detroit area that were turned into actors, but god they sucked, the ahney her who played sue the young thiefs sister was the only half way decent one, and there was a fat hmong gang banger who was also pretty good. but other then the bad acting from the hmong actors the film was quite enjoyable, critics are comparing it to dirty harry but to me its more like death wish in that its a regular citizen who performs vigilante like actions, i mean dont go into the film thinking its a blood bath its not. its more about characters and change then anything else. i enjoyed it, i mean there are some shots that seem a little ametuerish, shots that a director at clint's level shouldnt even shooting let alone editing them in the film, but thats a matter of choice the film is budgeted at 35mil which seems a bit much, but considering detroit now has a 90% tax rebate for films it makes me think some hollywood book cooking was going on, as im sure this film wont turn a profit in the theatres but on dvd or after they anounce the oscar noms cause i know its gonna get one. warner bros. must be kicking there feet up, cause three of there films released this year are sure to get nods, two of them directed by clint himself the other being the dark knight, which is scheduled for a re-release after the nominations are anounced. so i would say go see this one its worth it. and much more fulfillin g then say the day the earth stood still.