PDA

View Full Version : BJJ Thoughts

Ray Pina
12-15-2008, 04:45 AM
Competed in Flavio Behrings tournament yesterday. I have to say, I never liked to refer to BJJ matches as "fights", but I fought as hard as I ever had yesterday.

Went 5 and 2 losing to the same 2nd degree Judo black belt twice. He threw me like a rag doll. I got second.

I will say thought that it's a good feeling getting your hand raised in victory and this kind of competition brings out the best in everyone's game.

Dislocated my toe in the process. Part of the process. Train. Train. Train. Compete. Heal. Heal. Train. Train. Train.

David Jamieson
12-15-2008, 06:03 AM
great. start a blog.

do you feel you may be getting some kungfu in martial arts now?

Oso
12-15-2008, 06:17 AM
as long as she's easy with the teeth...oh, wait bjJ...

Ray Pina
12-15-2008, 09:44 AM
great. start a blog.

do you feel you may be getting some kungfu in martial arts now?

Honestly, I thought I had some Kung Fu five years ago. Now I feel like a total kook. The more I learn the more I realize how limited (dimensionally) my game was. My focus now is on changing levels smoothly (shooting off of strikes), staying calm and focused in the pocket under fire, improving my jiu-jitsu and cardio. Just never seems like enough cardio. Like money.

Sherlock Holmes
12-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Well

Train train train complete

Heal Heal

Train train train....

I think it will give me a great support!

WinterPalm
12-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Good work man!
I've won in Judo and San Shou but not BJJ yet...it's fun stuff and even if it isn't fighting in the sense of getting punched, it's still fighting!:)

Lucas
12-19-2008, 10:51 AM
sweet deal ray. you should totally start a blog in the MMA section about your journey. I would read it.

I'm hoping to start judo pretty soon, just as soon as i get the contact info from my buddy.

im pretty excited.

WinterPalm
12-19-2008, 12:49 PM
sweet deal ray. you should totally start a blog in the MMA section about your journey. I would read it.

I'm hoping to start judo pretty soon, just as soon as i get the contact info from my buddy.

im pretty excited.

If you do a lot of stance training your root and base will be solid...just take some time to switch over to Judo style but I've had BBs comment that I have a good base and that is from years of horse stance.

Lucas
12-19-2008, 12:55 PM
im interested to see what transfers over for me. Also I was trained in a bit of judo material as my first sifu also has a bb in judo. every now and then he would have a throwing session, im assuming based around his judo.

he never really said this is from kungfu or this is from judo, he just busted out with drills here and there and we would throw.

Ray Pina
12-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Man, I never realized how tough these Judo guys are. I had the wrong impression of them.... now that I think about it, the toughest classes are throw classes. And that's what these guys do all day.

As for cross over. I always find I pick up each consecutive style easier. Foundation on top of foundation. It's all about structure, mechanics and flow. Believe it or not, I find BJJ's structure and power sources to be the same as, or very similar to Hsing-I. Though no style has stimulated my flow or has brought out the best in me like BJJ. My body and mind is better than its ever been.

Pork Chop
12-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Man, I never realized how tough these Judo guys are. I had the wrong impression of them.... now that I think about it, the toughest classes are throw classes. And that's what these guys do all day.

*looks over at Water Dragon and realizes January is going to be a loooooong month* :p

WinterPalm
12-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah, Judo is by far the most brutal martial art that I've ever done. It hurts no matter which way you do it. And training for competition is pure agony...the only time I've actually been completely useless after a training session is after a Judo one.

SimonM
12-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Throws are my favorite part of martial arts...

naja
12-19-2008, 09:21 PM

When I started judo I wasn't interested that much in ground work, and I mentioned this to my teacher. He went on to tell me how much easier the ground work is than the standup game. I've come to enjoy newaza because the throws are so much harder, that the ground work helps me to feel as though I'm improving. It took me a month to get my first throw to a level of decent consistency.

Ray Pina
12-21-2008, 06:55 AM
A couple good throws is something I definitely want to develop, Had one good one last weekend in the competition, but the guy was the weakest in the division. Feels good to get a clean, smooth one though.

Water Dragon
12-21-2008, 03:30 PM
*looks over at Water Dragon and realizes January is going to be a loooooong month* :p

Huh? What?

*goes back to rubbing his shins*