PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Temple: Monks and Marines, 少林僧兵

GeneChing
12-15-2008, 10:24 AM
It's an unfortunate translation - Shaolin Sengbing should be translated as monk soldiers, not monks and marines. There's been a lot of buzz on this one. It's a little dated now, but I just got reminded of it. Here's a trailer vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKMDlXnfDus).

-- The Shao Lin Warriors (Shaolin Temple: Monks and Marines) -- (http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/8-The-Shao-Lin-Warriors-Shaolin-Temple-Monks-and-Marines.html)

Filming of 36 episodes 《少林僧兵》 The Shaolin Warriors TV series has wrapped up recently and is now undergoing post-production. The cast includes Sammo Hung, Cui Lin, Li Man, Sammy Hung, Liu Ying, Jeanette Aw, Qin Yan, Christopher Lee, Cui Peng. Director Raymond Lee says in an interview on January 16 that he loves Cheung Sing Yim's Shaolin Temple, and filming Shao Lin Warriors TV series is a fulfilment of his childhood dreams. Shaolin Temple: Monks and Marines is about Shaolin monks joining General Qi Ji Guang's marines to help defend the nation against Japanese pirates. Shao Lin Warriors is scheduled for release later this year.

Being co-produced by Shaolin Temple's abbot Shi Yong Xing entails participation of Shaolin Temple, forming a special group of extras that include 120 Shaolin warrior monks, 200 lay followers and novice monks. Over ten of the warrior monks are responsible for the martial arts choreography, which implies authentic Shaolin Kungfu being showcased on the screen. Raymond Lee says that he had a discussion with Shi Yong Xing a month prior to filming, and they, apparently, kept no secrets. The main cast members spent just over ten days training in the fundamentals in Shaolin Temple, which is barely sufficient. Shaolin Temple has also opened its door to the production, allowing Raymond Lee to film on location in Shaolin Temple.

Sammo HungSammo Hung plays an eminent monk Big Foot, the top Shaolin warrior monk, while his son Sammy Hung plays his disciple and successor Yue Kong. Raymond Lee expresses great satisfaction for Sammo Hung, who, despite his age, turns in fantastic performance, "Being a martial artist, he's able to execute all the moves, be them fist or staff, exactly as what the warrior monk did, after being shown only once." As opposed to the more cruel and lethal moves in SPL, Sammo Hung's moves are more benign here, being a monk after all. Apart from his exceptional martial arts ability, Big Foot is a little zany, seems to clairvoyant occasionally, yet appears so ordinary in the next moment.

Apparently, some of the top contestants from Kungfu Star Contest 2006 and 2007 were meant to play some major roles in Shaolin Temple: Monks and Marines, and the producers behind this production were the one organising the contest. However, it's not known for certain if they are indeed given a role here as their names have essentially been buried after the contest, despite all the buzzes and controversies. And some of the contest winners from 2006 had complained about being jobless for a year, being stuck with their contract that prevent them from accepting other film offers, while being shelved by the organiser. In the end, they annulled their contracts.

Unlike A Legend of Shaolin Kungfu which employs genuine martial artists for the lead roles, it's unfortunate that with such a noteworthy production that has a strong supporting cast of martial artists, Shaolin Temple: Monks and Marines casts mostly non-martial artists in the lead roles.

According to Raymond Lee, rare Shaolin kungfu will be shown on the screen, "My proudest achievements are Shaolin cudgel, and a fist formation performed by 120 monks. It's not often that we see such big scale scenes in martial arts productions." Raymond Lee says that he intends to shoot a sequel, and the plot may be about Shaolin martial arts being spread to Japan and eventually being developed into Jujutsu.

Pk_StyLeZ
01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
is this movie released yet?

uki
01-13-2009, 06:24 AM
the shaolin are not warrior monks, soldier monks, or anything like that.. they are simply just a little forest...

David Jamieson
01-13-2009, 06:54 AM
the shaolin are not warrior monks, soldier monks, or anything like that.. they are simply just a little forest...

screaming at the sky almost never brings rain.

richard sloan
01-13-2009, 09:10 AM
screaming at the sky almost never brings rain.

little forest. that makes me chuckle.

it's like saying new york is really new.

uki
01-13-2009, 09:41 AM
screaming at the sky almost never brings rain.unless of course you are not screaming for rain. you really need to get up to par with your lame philosophical remarks... a witty saying proves nothing... yet in your case they aren't even witty, so maybe you did prove something, lack of wit. :p

little forest. that makes me chuckle.the truth is first laughed at... in this case, chuckled at.

it's like saying new york is really new.it won't be anything when it is burning. :)

David Jamieson
01-13-2009, 09:47 AM
unless of course you are not screaming for rain. you really need to get up to par with your lame philosophical remarks... a witty saying proves nothing... yet in your case they aren't even witty, so maybe you did prove something, lack of wit. :p
the truth is first laughed at... in this case, chuckled at.
it won't be anything when it is burning. :)

so angry, so provocative... you should try painting! maybe something fruitful could come of it.

also, be careful with the veiled threats. homeland security doesn't like them as far as I understand. It's often better to keep that sort of thing to oneself. :) YOu do'nt want the thought police looking you up now do you?

richard sloan
01-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Greenland is really GREEN!!!

SimonM
01-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Wow, I never knew that. :p

richard sloan
01-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Wow, I never knew that. :p

yup, and there's more. that's probably why you didn't also know that shaolin is a little forest.

Frenchmen Cove is ...get this...ACTUALLY FULL OF FRENCH MEN!!!!

uki
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
so angry, so provocative... you should try painting! maybe something fruitful could come of it.i build with stone and mortar... you really should see my flagstone patio. ::):

also, be careful with the veiled threats. homeland security doesn't like them as far as I understand. It's often better to keep that sort of thing to oneself. :) YOu do'nt want the thought police looking you up now do you?pfffff... DHS is a joke... i sent them, the FBI, and the whitehouse harrassing letters just to see if they'd come after me(like 3 years ago mind you) and you know what? nada... they have bigger things to worry about than the ramblings of someone like me... and when i say that new york will burn, it's the truth, the fire hasn't fallen from the sky yet, fear is weakness... i am not afraid of anything except nature, and even then it's purely a matter of respect. man won't burn new york and the world, nature will... you should click the link in my sig if you have the balls, then you'll see what being fearless is all about... bring it on!!! :)

David Jamieson
01-13-2009, 01:29 PM
im not gonna wind up on a gay fisting site or anything like that am I?

uki
01-13-2009, 02:50 PM
im not gonna wind up on a gay fisting site or anything like that am I?now would i do that to you? i personally do not like gays at all... kind of a lost cause if you ask me... no... it's just a straight up site for wacky, brainiacs like me, with alternate views on reality and the world around us. it's a real treat... you can curse and just about say anything you want without directly attacking a person personal lifestyle... free speech all the way, which i might add is the base foundation of any true nation of people. lots of intelligent individuals from all walks of life... you might meet your match there, aside from myself of course. :p

i actually dare any of the forum posters on here to visit... metalmilitia will be so excited to have new peeps... aside from the fact that last week we had a link from yahoo that brought in over 80,000 visitors and hundreds of new members.

richard sloan
01-13-2009, 03:26 PM
aluminum hats for everyone...

uki
01-13-2009, 03:47 PM
aluminum hats for everyone...man if this post was on the other site i would rip you a new poop chute...

David Jamieson
01-13-2009, 04:08 PM
wow, talk about living in fear. that's just weird! lol

richard sloan
01-13-2009, 04:50 PM
man if this post was on the other site i would rip you a new poop chute...

hmmm....is this where the banjo music comes in....

uki
01-13-2009, 08:40 PM
hmmm....is this where the banjo music comes in....hahaha!!! deliverance... awesome movie.