PDA

View Full Version : My Name is Bruce

GeneChing
12-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Ash vs. Guan Di. Is that sacrilegious or what? Guan Di is the patron saint of martial arts. That's where we get the name Guan Dao (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-81cs.html). Imagine Simon Yam playing himself and fighting Saint Francis of Assisi. Maybe we should rally for a kung fu protest... .:rolleyes:

'My Name is Bruce' stars B-movie king Bruce Campbell in a Z-level film (http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/chi-my-name-bruce-1128_nov28,0,4169258.story)
Rating: 1 star (poor)

By Christopher Borrelli | Tribune reporter
November 28, 2008

"My Name Is Bruce," a celebration of the B-actor and cult legend Bruce Campbell directed by Bruce Campbell and co-produced by Bruce Campbell and possibly catered by Bruce Campbell, tells the story of the B-actor and cult legend and how he saves a small mining town from the homicidal incarnation of the Chinese lord of bean curd. It includes a nod to nearly every TV show and straight-to-video distraction and real movie (well, realish) in which Campbell has appeared, including (but not limited to) a quick plug for his entertaining autobiography ("If Chins Could Kill"). A cynic might say that never before has a smart, charming actor gone so far to position himself for more of the same—except this appears to have been shot in a mad dash over a weekend, and Campbell is clearly in charge of his small corner of schlockdom.

Indeed, Campbell has thrived in the Grade-Z horror-sci-fi cheapie genre for more than 25 years—giving googly-eyed anvil-jawed performances in Sam Raimi's fantastic "Evil Dead" series, top-lining beloved cult TV shows ("The Adventures of Brisco County Jr."), and never taking himself or his movies as seriously as Bruce Campbell fanboys do. There is a natural end to a career like this—the inevitable wink-wink-nudge-nudge piece in which Bruce Campbell confronts William Shatner, preferably on a desert planet made of chicken wire and sparkly stuff. Sadly, "My Name Is Bruce" is not inspired—it is, instead, as broad and redundant, as laughably bad as anything he'd be hired to star in. The goal, however, seems to be likably bad.

In fact, I am struggling here to find a way to slip in the word endearing. Can't do it. Campbell clearly knows the wobbly path to B-movie cult leader ("I made a movie in Bulgaria," he says. "I'm up for anything.") and possesses an encyclopedic knowledge of every amateurish horror movie impulse in the book ("Let me get out of the car and see what's in those woods"). But there's a line where self-deprecating slides into self-serving, and "My Name Is Bruce," well, it doesn't seem to recognize that line exists. Campbell is kidnapped by a fan and brought to an Oregon town to fight a cheap-o monster, and though the actor is portrayed (by the actor) as a preening, fleeing Hollywood phony—drinking whiskey from a dog bowl, drunk-dialing his ex-wife—the film has neither the sheer invention of Campbell's best films nor the obliviousness of his more entertaining bad pictures.

Jimbo
12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Sounds really stupid. If it's Guan Di, why are they referring to him as the Chinese lord of bean curd? I try not to allow many things to offend me, but this is just sounds dumb (which it's obviously supposed to be). Is Campbell trying to self-destruct his own career? I really like Evil Dead (esp. the first one), and Bubba Ho-Tep, but I think I'll give this one a miss.

It almost sounds like a cornball version of Stephen King's Desperation, which also had a mining town under seige, and Chinese spirit(s).

GeneChing
12-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Check out IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489235/) - James J. Peck...Guan-Di / Cavealien Monster

GeneChing
12-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately I'm totally swamped with deadlines and the holidays, otherwise I'd bring my kwan dao (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-81cs.html) and kick some Bruce butt for insulting Lord Kwan! :mad:

'My Name Is Bruce': Campbell as auteur (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/18/NSFE14MSND.DTL&hw=bruce+campbell&sn=001&sc=1000)
G. Allen Johnson

Barnstorming around the country with his latest movie as director-star, cult film actor Bruce Campbell isn't your normal indie director desperate for publicity. He's got fans who ask questions like, "In the event of a real zombie attack, what's your plan?"

"My fans are 98 percent docile and a little bit shy. They only look scary," Campbell, who appears in the television series "Burn Notice," said by phone from Madison, Wis., where his latest movie, "My Name Is Bruce," was screening. "But you get a guy who comes up and goes, 'Hey, check out my tattoo on my back,' and he turns around, takes his shirt off, and his whole back is the poster from 'Army of Darkness.' That's a little crazy.

"In Austin (Texas), I signed eight different arms for people who were going to go right to the tattoo parlor and get it made permanent."

The craziness was in San Francisco on Wednesday night - Campbell appeared with Peaches Christ at the Bridge Theatre, where the film is playing for a week - and continues tonight at the California Theatre in Berkeley, where Campbell will present both evening shows. He's winding down a 21-city tour that began Oct. 26 (details at www.bruce-campbell.com) and should get him home for Christmas. He lives with his wife near Medford, Ore.; his daughter, a gymnastics coach, lives in San Rafael.

Campbell was De Niro to Sam Raimi's Scorsese when they were making cheap horror films in the 1980s ("Evil Dead"). He makes fun of his B-movie persona in the horror-comedy "My Name Is Bruce," in which he plays Bruce Campbell, a down-and-out B-movie actor going through a divorce and living in a trailer in rural Oregon. When the residents of a nearby town become terrorized by a Chinese god of war, they beg Campbell to help them - and he goes along, figuring it's all a joke.

Wrong. It's real, and Campbell freaks out, just as scared of the monster as everyone else.

Campbell says in a real-life horror situation, "I would react exactly how I do in the movie - like a coward. I would scream and run and probably shoot the wrong person."

"Evil Dead" came out in 1983, so Campbell has had remarkable staying power. He appears in all movies directed by Raimi, his high school pal back in their Detroit days, including the "Spider-Man" films (in "Spider-Man 3" he had a memorably amusing scene as a maitre d'). He has worked with the Coen brothers four times - Raimi gave them their first writing credit in the low-budget comedy thriller "Crimewave" - and "Bruce" is his second film as director (after 2005's "The Man With the Screaming Brain," if you must know).

Campbell says he's pretty pleased to be going strong at 50. "I'm entering the crooked-politician phase of my career," he laughed.

"Two days after I turned 50, I did a fight with a stuntman and pulled my hamstring. I'm like, 'OK, I guess my expiration date is up!' "

Playing at the Bridge Theatre, 3010 Geary Blvd., S.F., (415) 267-4893, and the California Theatre, 2113 Kittredge St., Berkeley, (510) 464-5980. www.landmarktheatres.com.

Zenshiite
12-18-2008, 07:33 PM
The comic adaptation has some hilarious moments, and from what I've seen it doesn't have half the gags that the movie does.

I'll check it out.