PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Prairie's Workout

WinterPalm
12-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Once again it's the great Canadian winter. Averaging -40 Celsius:eek: for the past four days now and no sign of it letting up.
Went outside in a couple of sweaters (four actually!), two pairs of long underwear, and some wind breaker pants all to juggle my 40pd kettlebell and defy mother nature...or father winter.

Anyone else enjoying the great outdoors?:D

SimonM
12-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Every night iron thread on my balcony. Not quite that cold in SW Ontario though.

My wife bought me long underwear and I considered putting it on this morning because it was very windy.

David Jamieson
12-16-2008, 11:54 AM
here's a good prairie workout.

first you need a shovel...

:p

sanjuro_ronin
12-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Every night iron thread on my balcony. Not quite that cold in SW Ontario though.

My wife bought me long underwear and I considered putting it on this morning because it was very windy.

Careful in regards to doing the IW in very cold weather.

SimonM
12-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Because? :confused:

WinterPalm
12-16-2008, 12:48 PM
here's a good prairie workout.

first you need a shovel...

:p

Hell yeah! Sucks because most people look at it as an annoying chore but shoveling is great for your strength and conditioning.

Cimaroon
12-17-2008, 04:35 AM
I find getting firewood to be the single best non workout workout. Especially since I do it all by hand or at least the dragging and carrying of it. Climbing up and down hills with logs or rounds of wood, chopping, stacking. CRUCIAL

sanjuro_ronin
12-17-2008, 06:58 AM
Because? :confused:

When you were taught the IW, were you not given advice in regards to when to train IW ?

Reverend Tap
12-17-2008, 02:59 PM
I do my body conditioning workouts out in the backyard, usually after sundown. Not near as cold as -40C in Colorado, but still pretty chilly, especially since wearing much in the way of padding (read: warm clothing) would defeat the purpose. Also having issues with my feet getting too cold, as they dig progressively deeper into the snow and frozen dirt while I exercise. Might have to break out my snowboard boots and compromise a bit on the deep lunge stance.

Ah, nature. :p

David Jamieson
12-17-2008, 03:13 PM
speaking of canada...
join my facebook group!

http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=39468457636

SimonM
12-18-2008, 09:38 AM
When you were taught the IW, were you not given advice in regards to when to train IW ?

"Regularly"

My sifu suggested in the morning but my mornings are rather busy so I usually do in the evening. But the thrust was "daily practice = necessary".