PDA

View Full Version : Training at the Wah Lum Temple in Orlando

Daedalus
09-25-2001, 06:49 PM
I am considering taking advantage of the professional student option at the Wah Lum Temple in Orlando (Chan Pui, Mimi Chan, etc). Possibly for a week or two.

Has anyone on this forum been there to train? If so, what can I expect?

EARTH DRAGON
09-25-2001, 09:04 PM
master chan pui is an excellent master of praying mantis 33rd generation from wong long and a all round nice guy. If you can I would incurage you to train directly under him rather than from his students but that might be imposible but try anyway. You can stay at the temple he has lodging and showers available. You can expect to train hard and repeat what you were taught many many times before you learn new things , other than being a little monotonous it is great training good luck!

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Hua Lin Laoshi
09-25-2001, 10:19 PM
Master Chan is 6th generation from Wong Long. He is 33rd generation Disciple of Shaolin Temple. He no longer teaches privates so you WILL be learning from 7th generation Sifu's. Most likely Sifu Tu, the head instructor at the Temple. I don't know where you're located but feel free to stop in anytime and have a look around and ask all the questions you like. If you can't you can e-mail temple@wahlum.com or myself with any specific questions you might have.

Have you been to the website www.wahlum.com (http://www.wahlum.com)?

Daedalus
09-25-2001, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Hua Lin Laoshi,
Yes, I have been to the site, it is very informative.

I live in North Carolina so it will be about a 12 hour drive. Thanks for the invite though.

NorthernMantis
09-26-2001, 03:24 AM
That's a really hard class,just be sure to have ample supply of water.Hope you have fun.

:cool:

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

Kram1
09-26-2001, 05:32 AM
What happened to the Wah Lum place in Tampa? I had been in a few times. But recently I noticed that they had closed that location. Have they moved? I know they wanted to expand, and were talking to Ed Maley about taking over his studio. But that is now being converted to a furniture store!
Does anyone know of other good KF places in Tampa? Pong Lai Wu Ji has closed or relocated too!

Sometimes economics stinks!

Mark

And So It Goes...

Hua Lin Laoshi
09-26-2001, 10:17 PM
Sifu Tom Haase is still operating in Tampa. His school has moved and his website seems to be down currently. I'll get the new address and post it for you.

Daedalus
09-30-2001, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! Once I start my training I will probably be hounding you guys again for advice and training tips. Thanks again! :)

18elders
10-01-2001, 02:28 PM
Pong lai moved, it is near the football stadium.
You can contact Shr-fu at 813-495-3876.
Also Mark i know you have a bad knee so i would avoid Tom Hausse's school. I know many of his students and they do not have correct alignment of their knees in there stances. You will only do more harm to your knee.

18elders
10-01-2001, 02:49 PM
If you are interested in learning praying mantis and you are willing to come to Florida then i would drive a bit further to Tampa and train with Shr-fu John Scolaro in Pong lai wu ji Praying Mantis.
Shr-fu lived in Taiwan and is a senior student of Master Shr Jeng Jong. Master Shr teaches 4 complete mantis systems, 7 star, tai chi, secret door and plum flower.
It is all application oriented and 2 person sets. Many 2 person drills, body conditioning, etc.
You won't just learn a form and not know how to use it.
I suggest you give him a call and talk to him before you decide to go to Wah lum .
You can reach him at 813-495-3876
Master Shr will be here in March and you CAN TRAIN WITH HIM.
He doesnt' sit there and watch, he will hit you and let you hit him.