PDA

View Full Version : Ampuka

hakka jai
12-19-2008, 06:17 AM
HI folks,
Anyone here practice TCM with abdomonail diagonsis / the lost art(?) of ampuka???..

cheers
hakka jai :)

Doc Stier
12-19-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't practice modern TCM, but the Classical Chinese Medicine which I do practice definitely employs abdominal palpation as an auxilliary diagnostic confirmation tool. This can include navel examination, opening the wind gates, balancing all of the arterial pulses with the aortic pulse, and various other internal organ abdominal massage techniques. :)

These methods work very well both as diagnostic techniques and as therapeutic treatment techniques, IMO. :cool:

Doc Stier, OMD

taai gihk yahn
12-20-2008, 09:59 AM
I believe that my taiji / qigong teacher uses this; I can ask him about it next time I see him

there is also a pretty comprehensive tradition of abdominal diagnosis / treatment in the osteopathic profession (although to be fair, much more so in Europe than in the US)

I don't practice modern TCM, but the Classical Chinese Medicine which I do practice definitely employs abdominal palpation as an auxilliary diagnostic confirmation tool. This can include navel examination, opening the wind gates, balancing all of the arterial pulses with the aortic pulse, and various other internal organ abdominal massage techniques. :)

These methods work very well both as diagnostic techniques and as therapeutic treatment techniques, IMO. :cool:

Doc Stier, OMD

would this be a system that works in concert w/meridian-based approach? or in relation to the "classical" Taoist Inner Landscape model?

BTW Doc, have you ever considered trying to organize some sort of conference on CCM as opposed to TCM? as I've mentioned before, my teacher was trained in the former, and although he sort of uses a TCM-like model to teach publicly, he has "let it slip" that he has some real issues w/TCM, that it definitely looses a great deal of the good stuff; just wondering, because whereas in PRC, TCM was pretty much the only way to go, there really is no restriction on it here (aside from the fact that it's obviously much easier for schools to teach based on TCM format from an organizational perspective); or is it just a fool's errand at this point?

Doc Stier
12-20-2008, 06:41 PM
taai gihk yahn:

The Classical Chinese Medicine encompasses all of the core theoretical concepts related to traditional methods of treatment via the meridian channels and collaterals (jing-luo-fa). It employs a wide range of treatment modalities including acupuncture 針砭 (zhēn biān), acu-point manipulation w/o needling 推拏 (tuī ná), therapeutic meridian massage an-ma (按摩), moxibustion 灸 (jiǔ), cupping 拔罐 (bá guàn), scraping 刮痧 (gua sha), and a number of other lesser known techniques.

The Classical Chinese Medicine also incorporates all aspects of traditional Chinese Herbal Medicine. This includes simmer cooked decoctions/soups, steeped infusions/teas, tinctures, liniments, ointments, salves, oils, poultices, compresses, and so forth, using 600+ individual botanical, mineral, and animal ingredients, along with hundreds of combination formulae and recipes for specific applications. Memorizing it all and learning how to apply it effectively is no small task to be sure! :eek:

Regarding the Taoist Inner Landscape, Taoist Alchemy (nei-tan) doesn't normally play a role in the use of Classical Chinese Medicine as a viable and practical system of healing, but many of the internal alchemy training methods are certainly beneficial as auxiliary therapeutic exercises, both during the healing phase and for health maintenance thereafter. :cool:

Doc