PDA

View Full Version : San Da Demo Fight

WinterPalm
12-22-2008, 01:38 PM
This weekend my BJJ coach put on some entertainment at a bar in the country so we put on a little San Da Demo much to the delight of the crowd.
They already sat through several grappling matches and were restless for someone to get punched, kicked, and slammed...we obliged.

Hope you enjoy!

Edit: I'm in the white gloves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_hZ70rUU44&feature=channel_page

sanjuro_ronin
12-22-2008, 02:10 PM
This weekend my BJJ coach put on some entertainment at a bar in the country so we put on a little San Da Demo much to the delight of the crowd.
They already sat through several grappling matches and were restless for someone to get punched, kicked, and slammed...we obliged.

Hope you enjoy!

Edit: I'm in the white gloves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_hZ70rUU44&feature=channel_page

Good work RedBeard !
Nice slams, I assume you won.
yes?

WinterPalm
12-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks man! I've tried to implement the comments I've received into my sparring and I feel like I'm improving.

No winner, no loser.

Just a friendly sparring match.:D

sanjuro_ronin
12-23-2008, 05:22 AM
Thanks man! I've tried to implement the comments I've received into my sparring and I feel like I'm improving.

No winner, no loser.

Just a friendly sparring match.:D

I give you the "moral" victory, you counter struck better, got in my throws, you seemed less "wild" in your techniques.
What's with the floor in that ring?
The conditioning needs work, but that is fairly typical of someone that doesn't fight on a routine basis, you'll learn to move and fight more efficiently as you fight more.
Good work.

David Jamieson
12-23-2008, 05:55 AM
huge improvement since your last vid.
good job on the leg snags.

good job all round man!

Oso
12-23-2008, 06:43 AM
nice work!

and, yea, that floor must have sucked.

WinterPalm
12-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys.

I give you the "moral" victory, you counter struck better, got in my throws, you seemed less "wild" in your techniques.
What's with the floor in that ring?
The conditioning needs work, but that is fairly typical of someone that doesn't fight on a routine basis, you'll learn to move and fight more efficiently as you fight more.
Good work.

You're right but I don't know why...I work my conditioning to the max. I can do very long pad rounds at an intense pace, I can out spar (based on conditioning, most everyone in the gym) and can grapple with a larger better skilled guy for upwards of an hour (getting tapped by the dozens) and yet after one round of this I was very tired.
My heart pushed me through it though as I tried to bring it back in the 3rd round.

Is this just a matter of more experience and nothing really to do with what I do in the gym? Keeping in mind I've been working on strength more lately than my cardio but I'm still working hard.

WinterPalm
12-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Floor was actually good. It's the same as in the grappling area in the gym...it's pretty soft, better than tatame and more forgiving than a wrestling mat.

sanjuro_ronin
12-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys.

You're right but I don't know why...I work my conditioning to the max. I can do very long pad rounds at an intense pace, I can out spar (based on conditioning, most everyone in the gym) and can grapple with a larger better skilled guy for upwards of an hour (getting tapped by the dozens) and yet after one round of this I was very tired.
My heart pushed me through it though as I tried to bring it back in the 3rd round.

Is this just a matter of more experience and nothing really to do with what I do in the gym? Keeping in mind I've been working on strength more lately than my cardio but I'm still working hard.

Yep, just a matter of more fight experience, just that simple, you will notice that at the gym you tend to be more relaxed, simple because there is less stress, you are , afterall, just training.
Competition is a different ball of wax, at least till you stop seeing it as such.
Notice that in training we never come out swinging, but in a match, there we go !
Notice that the most experienced are very relaxed, paced, easy going even.
Maximum results with minimal effort.

David Jamieson
12-23-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm gonna suggest maintenance of Ch'an as well to help you with that.

Now some might not agree, but if there's one thing that really helps with maintaining the zone it is zen. You've been using it now for a while I would think. Maybe extend your practice out some more in that area as well?

Just a take it or leave it thing. :)

WinterPalm
12-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Yep, just a matter of more fight experience, just that simple, you will notice that at the gym you tend to be more relaxed, simple because there is less stress, you are , afterall, just training.
Competition is a different ball of wax, at least till you stop seeing it as such.
Notice that in training we never come out swinging, but in a match, there we go !
Notice that the most experienced are very relaxed, paced, easy going even.
Maximum results with minimal effort.

I never really thought that experience was something for the cardio but now that you mention it, it makes sense.

And you're right, I'm usually very relaxed in the club when other guys are stressing about sparring. I've had 3 previous san shou bouts, 3 judo, 2 BJJ, and then countless sparring sessions like this...minus the adrenaline, crowd, and this was slightly more intense. Something to work on.

WinterPalm
12-23-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm gonna suggest maintenance of Ch'an as well to help you with that.

Now some might not agree, but if there's one thing that really helps with maintaining the zone it is zen. You've been using it now for a while I would think. Maybe extend your practice out some more in that area as well?

Just a take it or leave it thing. :)

Good point. Something I've been neglecting as of late but I should look into expanding on that.

diego
12-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Cool show but yall gots nada on ...

... ... ...

LAMA WING CHUN http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlF937SmcUE&NR=1:confused:

WinterPalm
12-23-2008, 12:45 PM
LOL! I agree...I only watched the first little bit but that guy's chi was so strong that the other guy kept missing when he punched him! The farce...I mean force is strong with these two!

Reverend Tap
12-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Um...why'd they keep dancing and jumping away? If that was supposed to be "falling back out of control" they need acting lessons. :confused:

diego
12-23-2008, 08:44 PM
maybe in the ring you attack more and the crowd chatting throws off your zen as Dave was saying...all the swinging and crowd noise attaks your nerves leaving your musles with a wtf are we doing sensation...in the gym you prolly relax for the beating like any good student does...unless you train at ralph machio's nemesis kumite warehouse;) so as Sanjuro pointed out you need more experience in a live environment so your nerves will chill out and you can calm your senses to fight with more focus.

My humble advice to you is drink shots of Vodka or Whiskey before you throw down...don't get drunk, just get numb:)

notice how all the legends are **** near junkies...gypsy joe, joe louis, mike tyson, it's a rugged lifestyle, imo all the ruggedness is what helped them maintain.

Thanks for sharing clips of your progress. good luck for an injury free new year!.

WinterPalm
12-23-2008, 08:51 PM
maybe in the ring you attack more and the crowd chatting throws off your zen as Dave was saying...all the swinging and crowd noise attaks your nerves leaving your musles with a wtf are we doing sensation...in the gym you prolly relax for the beating like any good student does...unless you train at ralph machio's nemesis kumite warehouse;) so as Sanjuro pointed out you need more experience in a live environment so your nerves will chill out and you can calm your senses to fight with more focus.

My humble advice to you is drink shots of Vodka or Whiskey before you throw down...don't get drunk, just get numb:)

notice how all the legends are **** near junkies...gypsy joe, joe louis, mike tyson, it's a rugged lifestyle, imo all the ruggedness is what helped them maintain.

Thanks for sharing clips of your progress. good luck for an injury free new year!.

Crowd has nothing to do with it. I don't like giving speeches...but when it comes to performing (acting, lion dance, fighting) I've never had an issue...I just do what I do. However, I wasn't really all that tired and managed to bring the pace up at the end, just not as fresh as the first couple minutes.
Believe me, focus is not the issue! When I'm in there, there's only me and the other guy and nothing, nothing else.

My buddy was sipping beer between rounds...I can't do that. I drink whiskey after.
Couture, A. Silva, those guys are legends, and they aren't junkies...in my opinion, if you need drugs or alcohol to cope, you are weak willed.

I can only hope to the infinite emptiness that I don't get injured this coming year. Aside from the odd thing here and there, I didn't get injured this year. Putting in my time with the yoga and the joint mobility has definitely paid off.
I'll keep you guys updated on my progress towards kung fu.

diego
12-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Crowd has nothing to do with it. I don't like giving speeches...but when it comes to performing (acting, lion dance, fighting) I've never had an issue...I just do what I do. However, I wasn't really all that tired and managed to bring the pace up at the end, just not as fresh as the first couple minutes.
Believe me, focus is not the issue! When I'm in there, there's only me and the other guy and nothing, nothing else.

My buddy was sipping beer between rounds...I can't do that. I drink whiskey after.
Couture, A. Silva, those guys are legends, and they aren't junkies...in my opinion, if you need drugs or alcohol to cope, you are weak willed.

I can only hope to the infinite emptiness that I don't get injured this coming year. Aside from the odd thing here and there, I didn't get injured this year. Putting in my time with the yoga and the joint mobility has definitely paid off.
I'll keep you guys updated on my progress towards kung fu.

What style do you do? I quit drinking long time ago:D

WinterPalm
12-23-2008, 09:19 PM
I've studied many...with any depth: Tai Chi and Black Tiger Kung Fu. I no longer practice either per se, but carry with me many ingrained lessons and ways of moving. Otherwise I train strictly San Da/San Shou and also cross train in BJJ and occassionally I'll do additional Wrestling/Judo training sessions.

When I said progress towards kung fu I meant in the literal sense of gaining a skill over time through extreme amounts of hard work...that is all.

diego
12-23-2008, 09:43 PM
I've studied many...with any depth: Tai Chi and Black Tiger Kung Fu. I no longer practice either per se, but carry with me many ingrained lessons and ways of moving. Otherwise I train strictly San Da/San Shou and also cross train in BJJ and occassionally I'll do additional Wrestling/Judo training sessions.

When I said progress towards kung fu I meant in the literal sense of gaining a skill over time through extreme amounts of hard work...that is all.

oh:( I thought you was gonna hit 'em with the "Tiger Uppercut" good luck with hard work. Where'd I put that **** Carrot cake!?.

ChinoXL
12-28-2008, 03:32 PM
i wish that monk offered 10,000$ to people who can beat him like that chi master in japan.. i want to walk home with 10,000$ -__-